Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most pointless feature in a car

Options
  • 23-05-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

One of my friends called up to the house last night with his new motor a merc cl500, absolutely lovely car, comfortable, quick and good looking. In general it made a very good first impression with myself however my friend seemed to be obsessing about the cars soft touch doors (see the link if your not familiar http://youtube.com/watch?v=iH4P7F55ccE)

I just stood there with a bemused look on my face and asked him whats the point, "whats the point, there great they add a touch of class" was his response, so I had to ask him again why would anyone need such a feature.

Am I right in thinking soft close doors are pointless and what features do other people find useless

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Massaging seats...WTF! Every time I get a massage I want to fall asleep, hello? I guess that's why they had to invent Lane departure System...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

think of the market - overcoated gentlemen and business men, ladies who lunch with handbag straps - there is nothing worse than gettign your coat tails slamed in a cra door.... soft touch means, the car will alert that it has not closed correctly. they also provide a tighter seal thn if you slam a door against a panel and seal with rubber squished in between, so less wind noise.....

you could say a CL500 is pretty pointless initself, not the fastest, most exclusive, best handling coupe out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pointless feature...??
    BRAKES..!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are no points on the tyres or steering wheel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

My sisters new kitchen has the same thing. Fancy, and fair enough stops the drawers slamming, but still a bit pointless.

I understand them in cars though. My gf is forever slamming the doors on my car, it wrecks my head. These would solve that...

I guess the most sensible reason is that they would put less stress on the door locks/catches and therefore extend their durability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

on some megeans when you put it in reverse the rear wiper makes one swish across the window :) not a very nice noise when its a sunny day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Wasn't there some Nissan that has an air conditioned glove box?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JoeySully wrote: »
    on some megeans when you put it in reverse the rear wiper makes one swish across the window :) not a very nice noise when its a sunny day :)
    My Ford does that but only if you've activated the front wipers, even just a quick one-off wipe, first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Max_Damage wrote: »

I think mine is air-conditioned too! (VW Golf)... its so that your cold drinks and icecreams will stay cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The point of soft-close doors is that they allow MB to fit really huge door seals improving cabin isolation. Without soft-close, many people would struggle to close the doors against those seals.

I think the most useless feature I've seen recently is the perfume dispenser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The vase in the new Beatle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seperate wrote: »
    I understand them in cars though. My gf is forever slamming the doors on my car, it wrecks my head. These would solve that...
    How?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Ya that vase is fair stupid...

I have the air-con in my glove box.. that along with the aroma dispenser which can also scent the air into my glove box?... :confused:

My favourite thing though in my car is the auto-chrome rear view mirror - People with full lights behind you annoying you are a thing of the past...

Cant think of a bad feature on the car to be honest... oh maybe the seat-belt things on the sides of the seat that can hold the seat belt at a different level (pregnant women or elderly i spose)... but its a coupe... they shudnt be in it anyway!.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Back seats in most cars.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Speed holes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Soft close doors come free in packages if you select some other options with some BMWs. Perhaps it's the same with MB? Wouldn't pay for it myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

fuel cap on my pajero, the nozzle of the diesel pump was never out long enough for it to be needed:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For the Irish market, indicators tend to be regarded as the most useless item!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Max_Damage wrote: »

Now that is something I could to with, somewhere to keep my beers cold on a hot day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The big hunk of metal stuck onto the Toyota Avensis badge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saab were the first with the cool-box I think (the 9-5 mk1)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My Civic has the air conditioned glovebox too. There's a vent you can close in there if you don't want it cooled. I really wouldn't miss its electric mirrors though. Set them up on day one and they've never been touched since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

mike65 wrote: »
    Saab were the first with the cool-box I think (the 9-5 mk1)

Mike.

I had it in my Mk11 900 CS, along with loads and loads and loads of nice little toys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

kbannon wrote: »
    For the Irish market, indicators tend to be regarded as the most useless item!

+1
    & possibly the horn quite a lot of the time, beep at someone for doing something stupid & just get a bewildered stare back:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Rain sensing wipers gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Only now that I'm back on wind-down windows have i realised what a PITA electric windows are.

Fine on windows you can't reach (sort of) but on the drivers side getting the widow to just the right position was a matter of having at least three goes at it ..the windy yoke is actually much quicker (doesn't have a one touch open-close function though :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JoeySully wrote: »
    In fairness, its a Renault and its probably not meant to do that. Its the electrics gone wrong......again.

Only joking;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Tax disc.

that wins my "post of the day ":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Silicone dampened grab handles.

Advertisement