Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs are they the answer ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

Also do people have any particular strategies or thoughts about playing people you know are stoned on weed, coke, alcohol?

alcohol:
    - Wait for cards

coke:
    - Wear earphones. Exploit overconfidence.

weed:
    - In a tournament, wait for the blinds to go up, and then continually talk about how they are giving away free pizza and ice cream next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

coke:
    - Wear earphones. Exploit overconfidence.

One night in the town some crazy drogheda player was saying over and over again "if stuey can do it,why cant I?". You could literally see the coke on the tip of his nose.Think he went off for close to 2k in 1-2pl game.

jbravado wrote: »
    One night in the town some crazy drogheda player was saying over and over again "if stuey can do it,why cant I?".

Didn't Stueys nose collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

nicnicnic wrote: »
    there's no need to see a doctor no prescription needed, seriously like any drug as Dev said dependency can follow. codeine is the active ingredient in solp which is a synthetic opiate derivate so obv don't take the things regularly

I'm well aware that there's no prescription necessary. My point is that solpadeine is highly addictive, has some nasty side effects from overuse and recommending it to replace coffee or redbull is dangerous and irresponsible. If you actually have a medical need for taking them then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

LoL @ you losers and you're drugs. I'm all natural here baby.
    If you're feeling tense, take a day off and have a few beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

mcaul wrote: »
    Best non habit forming drugs for what you are looking for would be Pro Plus cafeine tabs

I had a box of these for studying, they're actually pretty decent but I found them to actually make me slightly hyper/lose concentration rather than to focus better. Also, taking a few too many will turn your stomach inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

wait.....wheres yer _ie gone?

wait.....wheres yer _ie gone?
    It took the kids and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Arent the drugs they use for kids with ADD meant to be the business for concentration levels, cant remember the name off the top of my head.

I know a few people who are complete solpadene addicts, socially acceptable junkies tbh.

Arent the drugs they use for kids with ADD meant to be the business for concentration levels, cant remember the name off the top of my head.

I know a few people who are complete solpadene addicts, socially acceptable junkies tbh.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Mentioned it earlier in the thread, it seems to be very hard to get your hands on in this country though. Unless you're good friends with a GP of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

jbravado wrote: »
    One night in the town some crazy drogheda player was saying over and over again "if stuey can do it,why cant I?". You could literally see the coke on the tip of his nose.Think he went off for close to 2k in 1-2pl game.
    Didn't Stueys nose collapse?

That was his goal...collapse the nose like stu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

i used to get whacked all the time before during and after playing and it actually made me play worse. The best focus is attained via a combination of a balanced diet, a regular exercise routine including plenty of cardio work and a good nights sleep. I also like to do something before playing which challaneges the mind such a sa crossword or the likes as it gets my brain active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Ritalin's supposed to be good, and i believe a number of poker players have said they use it. Soon, when we become as over-medicated as other countries, it should be easier to get hold of.

"When I can't stop fiddlin' I just takes my ritalin. I'm popping and sailing man!!"

That said, drugs are bad, really really bad. As has been said by numerous people; eating right and being fit wil help out an enormous amount.

That said, drugs are bad, really really bad. As has been said by numerous people; eating right and being fit wil help out an enormous amount.

M'kay

Ritalin's supposed to be good, and i believe a number of poker players have said they use it. Soon, when we become as over-medicated as other countries, it should be easier to get hold of.

"When I can't stop fiddlin' I just takes my ritalin. I'm popping and sailing man!!"

Ritalin, ffs. If you're that desperate to play better at poker, it wouldn't suprise me if you started taking prozaic to get over you losses/beats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

connie147 wrote: »
    Sorry for derailing the thread, but I'm interested in finding out why you've switched from mtt's to sit and go's? Your such a successfull mtt player I'm just wondering why? And how are you doing overall in the sit and go's?

Connie

I'm not retired from mtt yet, just semi-retirement. Kinda like switching from snooker to golf or something during the summer! Doing ok, but have to bear in mind the ones i'm playing are very small limits. The proof will be in the pudding in a few months time. The main reason is the FPPs. I got to Supernova at the start of the month and wanted to try take advantage of that. 15/20-tabling sngs (any level) is pretty good for FPP generation. I'm making about 4k fpp a day average, i made 9k 1 day last week. When you consider Stars offer a WSOP Main Event Package worth $12,500 for supernova players for 725k FPP, i realised it's well worth putting in the effort.

Plus, stars have sng leaderboards now for the Battle of the Planets, i made $400 bonus last week from my finishing positions in a few Planets. Anything to do with a leaderboard helps me focus my mind!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

ffs no wonder i cant win at poker when everyones taking performance enhancing drugs, im writing to ipoker to demand random drug tests be carried out in future.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tight Ted wrote: »
    wow.

No really... wow.... I want to explain the obvious, massive, gaping misconception but if you really meant to say that, I would hate to destroy such a perfect self delusion.

Dude, this Bud's for you!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I think tight ted was levelling.

ianmc38 wrote: »
    I think tight ted was levelling.
    I doubt it.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    wow.

No really... wow.... I want to explain the obvious, massive, gaping misconception but if you really meant to say that, I would hate to destroy such a perfect self delusion.

Dude, this Bud's for you!

DeV.

Please do. I put in a good solid amount of hours every day playing poker, and I don't take, Ritalin, Prozaic, Uppers, Downers, Smack or Blow. Just do it drug free, don't need any pharmaceuticals damaging my body and mind. When I get tired, I watch TV and have a cup of tea, I don't take 20ccs of whatever. Seriously some of the posters here sound like your man's mother in Requeim for a dream.

However, I have no problem with anybody taking anything, I don't think it particularly gives them an edge over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

In December 2007, professional poker player Paul Phillips claimed that the use of modafinil and other medications prescribed to him for ADHD treatment made him a much better player and helped him earn more than $2.3 million in poker.

My wife gets prescribed this stuff. It's called Provigil here. I tried it once out of curiousity and can see how it'd be great for playing poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Tight Ted wrote: »
    Please do. I put in a good solid amount of hours every day playing poker, and I don't take, Ritalin, Prozaic, Uppers, Downers, Smack or Blow. Just do it drug free, don't need any pharmaceuticals damaging my body and mind. When I get tired, I watch TV and have a cup of tea, I don't take 20ccs of whatever. Seriously some of the posters here sound like your man's mother in Requeim for a dream.

However, I have no problem with anybody taking anything, I don't think it particularly gives them an edge over me.

alcohol is a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jaysus Ted.

Rb wrote: »
    I doubt it.
    And I was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Whats the big deal with what Ted is saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Tight Ted wrote:

DVDFan, if you think there's no difference between self-medicating and having a few beers at the weekend, you're deluded.

Also, I don't use beer as a subtance to help me play poker, FFS!! After a session I don't say to myself "Golly, I'm so tense and stressed after that, I'm gonna get blind drunk!", if I did it would be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

Ah Ted, ah come on now.

Alcohol - our friend

Advertisement