Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs are they the answer ?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

If so which ones are good for A sleeping and B Focus ;)

I have been putting in some long sessions multi-tabling recently and a few questions i wanted to ask of others.

Firstly do people have anything they like to do before a long session ? I hear exercise is something others have found benifical and i am gonna have a go at this having just joined the gym beside me. I like the idea of a swim before getting stuck in for a long session.

I seen valor mention breathing tecniques during sessions , does anyone use these and find them of benefit ? Links please ?

Does anyone else do anything that they think helps before or during playing ?

Another thing is after a session ? How in general do people wind down. I find myself unable to sleep alot as my mind is so active after a long session.

Its almost 4 in the morning and thats part of the reason for this post :)

Opr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For afterwards, all I can say is that watching an episode of some tv show helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

yes but in moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nicnicnic wrote: »
    solphidine >>> any other legal stimulant

1/2 Valium is always good to help you nod off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Im trying to go with a 1000-1500 hand session after a light breakfast followed by a jog/swim (havent managed that bit yet) followed by lunch and a 2000 hand session. Thats either it for the day or I play another session while watching a film or whatever.

No idea on how to wind down, Id be interested to hear from Valor aswell, that mental coaching sounds fairly interesting.

Unfortunately the games are so much better at night that Im slowly going back to sleeping days which makes it much harder to follow any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i usually watch tv (while 1/2 tabling hu)for a bit to wind down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Adderall is supposed to be good, haven't managed to get my hands on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

opr wrote: »
    If so which ones are good for A sleeping and B Focus ;)

I have been putting in some long sessions multi-tabling recently and a few questions i wanted to ask of others.

Firstly do people have anything they like to do before a long session ? I hear exercise is something others have found benifical and i am gonna have a go at this having just joined the gym beside me. I like the idea of a swim before getting stuck in for a long session.

I seen valor mention breathing tecniques during sessions , does anyone use these and find them of benefit ? Links please ?

Does anyone else do anything that they think helps before or during playing ?

Another thing is after a session ? How in general do people wind down. I find myself unable to sleep alot as my mind is so active after a long session.

Its almost 4 in the morning and thats part of the reason for this post :)

Opr

been trying a new routine lately. Tonight i started playing about midnight or so, played 81 sngs so far in 5 hours, probably play until 8/9/10am depends how it goes. It's pretty challenging mentally, mainly because the limits are not too inspiring ($1 up to $55) and more so when it's going badly (like tonight, getting absolutely battered). I wouldnt be able to do it without my ipod charged.

Psychologically i found the $1 games are the hardest but then i learned how to swtich the lobbies shut off on multi-table options and i never check what the buy-in is now, so basically i play the exact same way in the $1 as i do in the $55 and give opponents same respect based on their play.

if i sleep at 9am, ill try get up about 3 or 4, go to the gym, run 5k, cycle 10k, chill in pool ---> steam room ---> shower, home bout 530/6pm , do something normal like dinner & dvd with girlfriend or play football. Then repeat. I dont think gym actually helps to unwind much but in terms of poker, the healthier you are physically has to be good for your game. Mens Sana in corpore sana and all that.

I know Nicnic swears by Solpadeine and to be fair it worked a treat in Irish Open when i was getting tired!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

played 81 sngs
    diggerfail.jpg

what was the test?!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

I have been taking Nytol which I got sent over from the UK, although I did find out I could buy them in Strabane which is not too far from me and in the North. I usually take a half tablet and within 1.5 hours feel sleepy and just knock the laptop off, usually get a great sleep. I always have had problems getting to sleep, my brain just whir's way 24/7.

On what Dan said about the stars SnGs I like that too, I would open a couple of diff levels and jumble my tables etc so I didnt know which was which, and found it was the higher ones I used to cash on! One reason I am not as keen on FT as t always shows what you are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Ive never tried drug AND online poker at the same time, i can see how you would be driven to it though if playing sit n gos.....I once tried to microwave a bag of crisps and woke up with raw fish fingers on my chest. ......drugs are bad....dont do drugs..........I think i might eat my laptop if I mixed the two.....why not get adequate sleep...it prepares you for anythingss....

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Ive never tried drug AND online poker at the same time, i can see how you would be driven to it though if playing sit n gos.....I once tried to microwave a bag of crisps and woke up with raw fish fingers on my chest. ......drugs are bad....dont do drugs..........I think i might eat my laptop if I mixed the two.....why not get adequate sleep...it prepares you for anythingss....

lol

for combatting tiredness on long sessions/late nights, the following perky pop-rock tracks keep me awake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8qae11_-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVcQpLjduCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGBAhwK4WE&feature=related

I quite like the video for Mr A but then again i'm easily amused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

spliff/beers/donkament to wind down, although I've dropped the former because I'm turning into a bit of a dunce

I've usually no trouble sleeping though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

what was the test?!

life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Marq wrote: »
    life

woah thats deep man

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

Exercise is definitely good. I think a healthy reasonably balanced lifestyle is a better answer than any particular pharmaceutical.

In the ultrarunning world, so called herbal drugs like ginger and ginseng, as well as caffeine, are used extensively to provide the kind of boost you need to keep running for 24 hours, but that's just during the races themselves rather than in training. Taking supplements over a long period is generally considered more harm than good. A lot of guys stay off caffeine completely except during races, on the theory that you get an even bigger boose when you use it infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,093 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find swimming helps me focus,
    I don't do it as much as I should though,
    last time I decent a decent set, was a 1 mile swim before a 11 hour live tourny, I final tabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Best non habit forming drugs for what you are looking for would be Pro Plus cafeine tabs for keeping awake and Tylenol Sleep for getting to sleep.

Tylenol Sleep / Tylenol PM (includes pain killer) is available to buy on ebay / regular online pharmacies from USA. Soon will be available in UK / ireland as regulatory approval was received recently. - Its a standard over the counter drug so anyone going to vegas should be able to bring back a couple of packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

been trying a new routine lately. Tonight i started playing about midnight or so, played 81 sngs so far in 5 hours, probably play until 8/9/10am depends how it goes. It's pretty challenging mentally, mainly because the limits are not too inspiring ($1 up to $55) and more so when it's going badly (like tonight, getting absolutely battered). I wouldnt be able to do it without my ipod charged.

Psychologically i found the $1 games are the hardest but then i learned how to swtich the lobbies shut off on multi-table options and i never check what the buy-in is now, so basically i play the exact same way in the $1 as i do in the $55 and give opponents same respect based on their play.

if i sleep at 9am, ill try get up about 3 or 4, go to the gym, run 5k, cycle 10k, chill in pool ---> steam room ---> shower, home bout 530/6pm , do something normal like dinner & dvd with girlfriend or play football. Then repeat. I dont think gym actually helps to unwind much but in terms of poker, the healthier you are physically has to be good for your game. Mens Sana in corpore sana and all that.

I know Nicnic swears by Solpadeine and to be fair it worked a treat in Irish Open when i was getting tired!!!

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I'm interested in finding out why you've switched from mtt's to sit and go's? Your such a successfull mtt player I'm just wondering why? And how are you doing overall in the sit and go's?

Connie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

I always scoffed at those who avocated exercise during a self imposed exercise ban which lasted the guts of two years. Since Ive got back Ive been swimming 4-5 times a week plus a bit of footy and the difference in my levels of focus and concentration when at the table is actually noticeable. Admitidley I havent played very much which also helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

mcaul wrote: »

Tylenol Sleep / Tylenol PM (includes pain killer) is available to buy on ebay / regular online pharmacies from USA. Soon will be available in UK / ireland as regulatory approval was received recently. - Its a standard over the counter drug so anyone going to vegas should be able to bring back a couple of packs.

I Love PMs. my American mate who lives here in Letterkenny now gets them sent by her mum all the time and shares them.. they are the best for getting to sleep.. but she cant sleep without them, so they are pretty addictive..

Panadol Nights have the same ingredients, but in smaller dozes, so thats a safer option.. I have tried them and they do work, but not as well as the Tylnol Pms.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're body chemistry is extremely complex and delicate. Don't go ramming a spanner in and around it willynilly.

You cannot simply take a drug repeatedly without some sort of dependance building up as the bodies chemistry adjusts and ultimately "expects" the drug to be in the bloodstream. Some drugs can be helpful long term (aspirin for example) but the majority are not.

Natural, restful sleep will not come from a Tylenol box. On occasion its fine to use them when you cant nod off but it wont be good quality sleep as the brain is being rammed into sleep mode rather then choosing which level of sleep it needs (REM, Deep etc). the brain naturally alternates between REM and deep sleep about every two hours or slightly less. If you have a drug floating around driving the brain into deep sleep when its trying to "surface" to REM sleep it would be extraordinaraily bad for you long term. (And sleeping tablets are extremely addictive and have a limited effectiveness before the insomnia returns)

During the day, the brain needs blood to work. The more you think, the more you need blood/oxygen (a fact that freaks some people when they hear it, dunno how they thought it worked!). A well functioning circulation system is needed for that. Additionally exercise will stimulate the body and naturally tire you out so that its not just your brain that wants to sleep when the time comes.

I'm not opposed to people messing with their body chemistry, but to plan to do so on a daily basis to improve at poker sends shivers up me....
    Eat better, exercise more and sleep naturally. Not only will you be more focused but you will have more energy to play longer.

I'm currently trying to follow my own advice and its hard to do the exercise bit (I bought a Wii Fit recently and it actually seems pretty good... 30 minutes on it flew by). Its hard to eat well if you are single as you tend to order out. If you CAN cook, do, imho.

Drugs arent the answer to this problem....

DeV.

I wouldn't recommend taking these regularly but they are without doubt better then coffee, redbull, proplus ect for an energy jolt for anyone feeling bollixed during a long days play.

from reading twoplustwo it seems a lot of the top online mtt players are stoned constantly when playing. I haven't smoked weed in years myself ( I never inhaled :rolleyes:) but can understand how it could help concentration levels and alleviate the boredom esp in online mtts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

I haven't smoked weed in years myself ( I never inhaled :rolleyes:) but can understand how it could help concentration levels...

I guess it could, as long as it doesn't matter what you are going to be concetrating on. I wouldn't recommend it.

I prefer coke (a cola). Then I am >>> :).

For me most of the drugs mentioned here => :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭HeeHawsCantona

I wouldn't recommend taking these regularly but they are without doubt better then coffee, redbull, proplus ect for an energy jolt for anyone feeling bollixed during a long days play.

from reading twoplustwo it seems a lot of the top online mtt players are stoned constantly when playing. I haven't smoked weed in years myself ( I never inhaled :rolleyes:) but can understand how it could help concentration levels and alleviate the boredom esp in online mtts

this thread is fcking mad

this thread is fcking mad

the weed stuff was just an observation but if you read this Mark Flowers recent well http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=204428&page=2 where many of the top on line mtt players contribute it becomes clear that its an integral part of there play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

...from reading twoplustwo it seems a lot of the top online mtt players are stoned constantly when playing. I haven't smoked weed in years myself ( I never inhaled :rolleyes:) but can understand how it could help concentration levels and alleviate the boredom esp in online mtts.

I can't understand that and it is something I've often meant to ask about here.
    Loads of decent players smoke all the time and it seems at live events that plenty of players are getting stoned at the breaks. It seems to me thats all ok if what you are doing is looking to sit like a zombie and play a purely automatic mechanistic style.
    Is there anyone who can honestly say that they are making better decisions when stoned than not?
    Also do people have any particular strategies or thoughts about playing people you know are stoned on weed, coke, alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

FWIW solpadeine is highly addictive and there are a LOT of addicts. If you take this with any sort of regularity I'd suggest talking to a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Valeriana drops. Brilliant stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeriana

Perfect after a long session.

Knocks you the phuck out.

• Advertisement

RedJoker wrote: »
    FWIW solpadeine is highly addictive and there are a LOT of addicts. If you take this with any sort of regularity I'd suggest talking to a doctor.

there's no need to see a doctor no prescription needed, seriously like any drug as Dev said dependency can follow. codeine is the active ingredient in solp which is a synthetic opiate derivate so obv don't take the things regularly

Advertisement