Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cillo2000 wrote: »
    That's some sight, thanks Marno. How much time do people estimate it will save at off-peak times? 10-15 Minutes?

About that yes. The consistency of journey times it’ll deliver is fantastic too. Guaranteed 15 mins between Ballyvourney West to Coolcower. Such an easier drive too.

The scale of the scheme I feel will be underestimated until it opens and people get to feel the difference. This isn’t a usual Irish on the cheap. It’s high spec high benefit infrastructure that will absolutely transform the region. Going from a 7km rollercoaster that truck can’t take at 50km/h and a lengthy town whose streets aren’t wide enough for white lines to a grade separated dual carriageway

It won’t be long before people are clamouring for further upgrades on the N22. After the Farranfore-Killarney scheme is done, the pressure will be on to sort Ovens-Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »
    As someone in the same boat, would highly recommend taking the Mill Road around Macroom if you don’t already. Some serious amount of work going on down there.

Absolutely transformative scheme for the Cork-Killarney journey.

Yep been watching from that perspective, very dramatic. Progress is very visible on lots of stretches around the main Ballyvourney route too.

I think the saving will be more than 10-15mins.
    It'll save me 10-15mins on a normal day. Peak time (bad days) it could save me 20-25mins. Pretty significant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yep been watching from that perspective, very dramatic. Progress is very visible on lots of stretches around the main Ballyvourney route too.

I think the saving will be more than 10-15mins.
    It'll save me 10-15mins on a normal day. Peak time (bad days) it could save me 20-25mins. Pretty significant.
    It seems at the minute as if they are prioritising the two bypasses of the towns and leaving the inter-town stretch til after. The Macroom part is the biggest priority and there is some challenging sections on the Ballyvourney/Ballymakeery section.

I agree, 10-15 mins at the absolute least. On very busy days it'll be much more. The journey will be a lot more relaxed also.

Of course, the additional safety benefits both for N22 users and locals are absolutely massive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

The phots give a great view of the terrain there dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Macroom part is the biggest priority.....
    Any guess about when that might open?

• Advertisement

Some even more up to date drone footage

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

MOD: Thanks - original post fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Great video, I note houses in the immediate vicinity along the route, no objectors? Excellent, it’s a road they know is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK only objections were some oddballs on about proximity to Carrigaphooka Castle.

It didn’t end up as a judicial review though

• Advertisement

There are no road schemes proposed or built which are completely removed from housing. There were a few houses demolished to make way for this N22 scheme, one in particular at the R582/Millstreet Road interchange.

Most road schemes either have minimal objection or else get approved anyway as a few homeowners not happy about a scheme is not sufficient grounds to deny it planning.

The only schemes of note recently that had significant residential objections are the M28 and the Galway Ring Road (50+ houses to be demolished iirc). These schemes are also noteworthy as they run through urban areas (all of the M28 north of Shannonpark is in the Cork City Council area). Rural dual carriageways tend not to attract such levels of objection as its a minority of dwellings that are dispersed rather than housing clusters which are affected.

For most people in the area of Macroom and Baile Bhuirne, they can see the benefits of this scheme both from an individual and community perspective and approach the scheme accordingly. This is true in most road schemes as we can observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

I think that footage shows the new road intersecting with the N22 at 6m25s. Which corresponds to this location:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sleveen+East,+Macroom,+Co.+Cork/@51.9117982,-9.0244467,264m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4844e44c4c6d2a55:0xa00c7a997319de0!8m2!3d51.9048039!4d-8.9588478

How likely is it that we might see an early opening of the Macroom by-pass reconnecting with the N22 here?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Apogee wrote: »
    I think that footage shows the new road intersecting with the N22 at 6m25s. Which corresponds to this location:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sleveen+East,+Macroom,+Co.+Cork/@51.9117982,-9.0244467,264m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4844e44c4c6d2a55:0xa00c7a997319de0!8m2!3d51.9048039!4d-8.9588478

How likely is it that we might see an early opening of the Macroom by-pass reconnecting with the N22 here?
    Extremely likely.

Quackster wrote: »
    Extremely likely.
    Indeed. There has been little to no work west of this point for several miles, the next work is the heavy work around Ballyvourney. All the work to date seems focused on the two town bypasses, with even more focus on the Macroom section.

Opening the section from Coolcower to Carrigaphooca is very feasible and would do wonders for traffic in the area.

I was in Ballyvourney earlier on, plenty of work going on up on the hill behind the school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Opening the section from Coolcower to Carrigaphooca is very feasible and would do wonders for traffic in the area.

I would love that to happen but, as I said when this came up before on this thread, that might not be legal from a planning perspective. I know that sections of new road elsewhere in the country have opened early before. But the difference in this case is that the fully completed new road will not have any junction with the old N22 at that point. So they would essentially be creating a new junction without any planning permission. Perhaps its temporary nature would make a difference. Who knows.

Another issue is that if the contract doesn’t place any requirement on the contractor to do this temporary tie-in, and if it doesn’t offer any kind of bonus incentive to do it, why would the contractor bother doing it? It’s a business in the end of the day and few businesses spend money just to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

cantalach wrote: »
    I would love that to happen but, as I said when this came up before on this thread, that might not be legal from a planning perspective. I know that sections of new road elsewhere in the country have opened early before. But the difference in this case is that the fully completed new road will not have any junction with the old N22 at that point. So they would essentially be creating a new junction without any planning permission. Perhaps its temporary nature would make a difference. Who knows.

Another issue is that if the contract doesn’t place any requirement on the contractor to do this temporary tie-in, and if it doesn’t offer any kind of bonus incentive to do it, why would the contractor bother doing it? It’s a business in the end of the day and few businesses spend money just to be nice.

Can't comment on the planning issues you raised but there certainly is an incentive for the contractor to hand over some of the scheme early if they can. By handing over some of it, it is no longer their responsibility to protect and insure those works. They would have to repair any damage which might occur and any insurance claims would be against them. Any part handed over is a little less hassle for the contractor. It is also standard that retention monies held reduces on hand over so it would likely be worth a few quid to the contractor.

Fantastic video from the contractors showing how the proposed Bohill bridge near Ballyvourney will be constructed. Timeline and full construction sequence shown.

It highlights yet again how high the specification of this scheme is. If this was built 20 years ago it'd be an at grade single carriageway. Compare that with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Fantastic video from the contractors showing how the proposed Bohill bridge near Ballyvourney will be constructed. Timeline and full construction sequence shown.

It highlights yet again how high the specification of this scheme is. If this was built 20 years ago it'd be an at grade single carriageway. Compare that with this.

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Also impressive to see they made a Irish language version too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

rounders wrote: »
    Very impressive! Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Also impressive to see they made a Irish language version too!

Legal requirement for any publicly-funded projects in a Gaeltacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Hello everybody ^_^
    I've managed to get my little toy up in the air recently and decided to record the works on the bypass by millstreet road.
    I can't fly far away so it's a short movie

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Seems that video is private now

cork_south wrote: »

I just watched it without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

cork_south wrote: »

Same for me now. I had watched it the other day without issue. Can't find the project's YouTube channel either.

There was an update posted on the project website today:
    Update on the Coolyhane Underbridge

As anyone living in the Ummera, Coolyhane or Masseytown knows, there has been significant progress with the construction of the Coolyhane Underbridge over recent months. This structure is the most advanced of the 130 structures included in the overall contract and is progressing well at this point. The recent closure of the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) was necessary to facilitate the construction of this bridge and it is gratifying to see it taking shape. The new N22 road will pass over this bridge and the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) itself will be realigned to pass underneath.

These photos show recent construction works on the bridge.

The first precast concrete beams for the job were dropped into position on Thursday 6th August. These beams are MY type units, supplied by Banagher Precast in Co Offaly. The beams themselves are approx. 9m long and weighing 4 Tons per unit.

These beams were placed onto the concrete walls recently constructed by the contractor’s site team. The concrete deck for the new carriageway will be cast over these units in the coming weeks.

The contractor has applied for another Temporary Road Closure of the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) for a 5 week period commencing on Mon 7th September. If approved, this road closure will permit the contractor to construct the realignment of the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) so that it will run under the new bridge and that will bring this element of the project to a conclusion.

Finally, the contractor would like to thank the residents of Masseytown, Coolyhane, Firville and Ummera for their co-operation with the original road closure and hopefully the work can be finished on schedule so as to keep the local impact to a minimum.

There's 3 pictures included with the update on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah the Mill Rd closed today. Vehicle breakdown on Castle St around pm. Queue to 2 mile bridge, incl 4 Christy Lucey trucks with wide loads, absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah the Mill Rd closed today. Vehicle breakdown on Castle St around pm. Queue to 2 mile bridge, incl 4 Christy Lucey trucks with wide loads, absolute nightmare.

Absolute mayhem again this morning. Traffic all the way back up masseytown. I think some are still trying to go down mill rd & ignoring the signs because they reappear few min later. Just shows the level of traffic that did use the mill rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Water John wrote: »
    aisling86 wrote: »
    Absolute mayhem again this morning. Traffic all the way back up masseytown.
    Well, better get used to it because ...
    N22BBM wrote:
    The contractor has applied for another Temporary Road Closure of the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) for a 5 week period commencing on Mon 7th September. If approved, this road closure will permit the contractor to construct the realignment of the Coolyhane Road (Mill Road) so that it will run under the new bridge and that will bring this element of the project to a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

serfboard wrote: »
    Well, better get used to it because ...

Yup fully aware. With 130 structures going in, it will be a long few years but it will be fabulous when it's done. There is talk locally that that macroom section could open by next summer.

Going to be a long few weeks while the Mill Road remains closed

In better news, here’s some pics from Twitter. First one is looking west from near Bealick Mill along the Mill Road. The rest are of the bridge which will carry the N22 over the R618.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

aisling86 wrote: »
    Yup fully aware. With 130 structures going in, it will be a long few years but it will be fabulous when it's done. There is talk locally that that macroom section could open by next summer.

Not a hope of that I dont think. 9 months time, I really doubt it.

IIRC the fastest of all of them was the Mitchelstown bypass, which was extremely simple in engineering terms and took 14 months overall. Even the Macroom bypass part of this is far more complex.

Advertisement