Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Also as promised before I went for a walk today as I live on the Ros Alainn estate.
    Took some pictures of the work progress on the Millstreet Road side. Looks like they're busy! I'm attaching them to my post.

Great photos. Thank you for taking them and especially for sharing them. They give a really good insight into the progress that the project is making for those of us who are too far away to see it for ourselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The art mentions accidents. A multiple car pile up this evening near Coolcower:
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/live-emergency-services-attending-car-18518293

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

mikeym wrote: »

Well that's not nice to read! I assume it's just someone thinking out loud, it doesn't sound like there's any actual worry of this really happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Well that's not nice to read! I assume it's just someone thinking out loud, it doesn't sound like there's any actual worry of this really happening.

No way Eamon and his merry gang are going to stop this road, Mehall, Simon, Michael McGrath and Norma Foley won't be long telling him to go away and get a paint brush and some lettuce seeds for himself and stop being a nuisance.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

It's a stupid article. The contracts are signed, the work has begun. It will not be halted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are many projects in this country about which we can worry. This is not one of them

Driving the old N22 (or indeed any of the side roads the route will intersect) gives a real feel of progress now. There's heavy earthworks ongoing all along the route now except for the eastern tie in at Coolcower. Lots of clearance works underway at the western tie in and at the future roundabout on the existing road just east of Ballyvourney.

The greatest progress has been in and around Macroom. There is foundations down for the bridge over the R618 as can be seen in the Echo article above, and quite a lot of earthworks done around the Mill Road where the closure is ongoing.

As an aside, the Mill Road can't reopen quick enough. Traffic in the town is horrendous atm between the road closure and the ever increasing amount of traffic as the coronavirus lockdown is relaxed and things return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

This bypass cannot come quickly enough another bad crash this morning at the bends heading for Ballyvourney. Hope all will be ok. Reports of helicopter on scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

aisling86 wrote: »
    This bypass cannot come quickly enough another bad crash this morning at the bends heading for Ballyvourney. Hope all will be ok. Reports of helicopter on scene.

Oh wow. There was one only yesterday near the civic amenity centre.

Yeah, traffic is back to normal. Queueing from 2 mile bridge this evening on the Cork side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mikeym wrote: »

Poorly written article that is pure speculation.
    "You can even see the outline of what I assume is the planned new road.
    It really does look like work is underway."
    A quick google would have proven that to be the case, no need for anecdotal evidence. The author doesn't seem to know that it is pretty much impossible to cancel an under-construction road without legal and practical difficulties.

The long turbine load will be on the N22 on Wednesday night. Turning onto R585 Crrokstown - Beal Na Blath about 11 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Mill road reopened this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mill road reopened this evening

Oh Thanks be to God!

Twice in the last couple of weeks I just automatically took the turn off and then had to turn back around again half way.

Will be using it in the morning with a big smile.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Good stuff. Is there much work done along the Mill Road?

marno21 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Is there much work done along the Mill Road?

Looks v different!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SaltyJohn

A few pictures today - the first two on the road out from Massytown & the latter two in close to Baile Mhic Íre

Some residents in the area recieved letters saying every Tuesday for the next 4 weeks they will be blasting rock at 2pm.

• Advertisement

Very cool seeing all the work being done at the various sites now, gives you a real perspective of where the everything will be.

When did they officially break ground, was it May? Or perhaps it started before the lockdown and got interrupted, can't remember.

Started before lockdown. Still, the logistics of organising and managing this complex project are awesome. It's a fair achievement to actually complete it in 2/3 years. What is it in total 6/700 days?

Advance notice the Coolyhane Road is to close again from September 7th to October 9th.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Advance notice the Coolyhane Road is to close again from September 7th to October 9th.

:(

The inconvenience will be worth it in the long run. I’d be happy to put up with another month of it than another few decades waiting on this road to be built

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was up that way last week. The cutting in which the new road will pass under the Coolyhane Road is shaping up to be very deep. There are some serious earthworks going on there at the moment. The Coolyhane Road is now diverted around the site of the overbridge. Is it conceivable that the bridge works could be complete by 9th Oct?

cantalach wrote: »
    I was up that way last week. The cutting in which the new road will pass under the Coolyhane Road is shaping up to be very deep. There are some serious earthworks going on there at the moment. The Coolyhane Road is now diverted around the site of the overbridge. Is it conceivable that the bridge works could be complete by 9th Oct?
    Sorry, this is the Mill Road (down on roadworks notices as the Coolyhane Road). The road around the back of Macroom that people use to avoid the town

Going by the pace of works on the Mill Road where the new N22 will cross over it, it wouldn't surprise me if the closure in September was to put in the bridge beams.

There's significant progress made on the elevated section where the new N22 will cross over the R618 near the Sullane bridge also.

Regarding the Coolyhane Road Upper overbridge, the diversion road will be open for 5 months to facilitate construction of the overbridge and new alignment. It'll open to traffic then and the new diversion road will close.

July 2020:

N22 over the R618 bridge

Ummer-bridge-foundations-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Coolyhane Road underbridge (structure is almost complete now

Coolyhane-Underbridge-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Reverse view

Mill-Road-Reopen-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Coolyhane Road Upper temporary diversion (structure to be complete by December)

Coolyhane-Road-Upper-temporary-diversion-road-plan-view-July-2020-002-1024x683.jpg

Ballyveerane

Ballyveerane-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Kilnagurteen (top of the hill)

Kilnagurteen-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Millstreet Road/R582 interchange

Millstreet-Road-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Rock removal at Carrigaphooca (interface with existing N22)

Rock-Removal-at-Carrigaphooca-July-2020-1024x683.jpg

Tonn Lain link road between old N22 and new N22 at interchange east of Ballymakeery

[img]http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Briseadh-carraigeacha-gar-don-Tonn-Láin-Iúil-2020-Rock-Breaking-near-Toonlane-Junction-July-2020-1024x683.jpg[/img]

Killeen

[img]http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Mór-thochailt-ag-na-Cillíní-gar-do-láthair-taiscumair-Iúil-2020-Bulk-Excavation-at-Killeen-near-Reservoir-site-July-2020-1024x683.jpg[/img]

Fill north of Ballyvourney This is very visible from the village itself up on the hill

[img]http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Oibríocht-líonta-ó-thuaidh-de-Bhaile-Mhic-Íre-Iúil-2020-Fill-Operation-North-of-Ballymakeera-July-2020-1024x683.jpg[/img]

Pictures thanks to the Jons/JCL JV @ www.n22bbm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Mega, thanks Marno.

I've been passing this project and watching some of the sites in the above pics developing. They appear to be going well.
    It's an exciting project for me because it's one of the toughest stretches of road I regularly drive. I feel like I know every nook and cranny!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

That's some sight, thanks Marno. How much time do people estimate it will save at off-peak times? 10-15 Minutes?

• Advertisement

Mega, thanks Marno.

I've been passing this project and watching some of the sites in the above pics developing. They appear to be going well.
    It's an exciting project for me because it's one of the toughest stretches of road I regularly drive. I feel like I know every nook and cranny!

As someone in the same boat, would highly recommend taking the Mill Road around Macroom if you don’t already. Some serious amount of work going on down there.

Absolutely transformative scheme for the Cork-Killarney journey.

Advertisement