Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Yea, unfortunately you can't make international bank transfers online or over the phone with ulsterbank so it's a trip to the bank for you...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I have just gone thought HELL with Ebuyer.com.

I'm trying to get an Business account setup and they are saying that their system will not let then process an order ex.Vat!!!

Which they legally have to do when shipping to an non-UK company......

There option is to charge full and then refund the VAT, but they can give me a time-line on how long the "refund" would take and if to would go directly back onto the Visa card or not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I have just gone thought HELL with Ebuyer.com.

I'm trying to get an Business account setup and they are saying that their system will not let then process an order ex.Vat!!!

Which they legally have to do when shipping to an non-UK company......

There option is to charge full and then refund the VAT, but they can give me a time-line on how long the "refund" would take and if to would go directly back onto the Visa card or not!!!

A mate of mine tried to purchase something from them in Feb of this year Ex VAT & got the same drill.

He took them at face value when they told him that their system could only handle the "With VAT" option & that if he went ahead with the purchase they would refund the VAT as soon as he furnished his Irish VAT number.

He is still waiting for that refund (now July).

They demanded that he's accountant furnish a "Certificate of VAT compliance" of something to that effect, he did but has still not received the refund.

He's since made all his purchases from Laptopsdirect and they remove the VAT at point of purchase without any questions once you provide your Irish VAT number. Why can't eBuyer do the same? :mad:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

(Boards.ie edits below - we do not allow people's names to be mentioned on site - Darragh)

I recently spotted this product (ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook) on Maplins Website & as I am familiar with the product I thought their description was ever so slightly disingenuous.

The OS on the system was described as "Windows 7" in both the description heading & the module itself but in fact it ships with "Windows 7 Starter".

I decided to use their "Ask a question" option on the product page FAQ section & asked

"Is it not correct to say that this Netbook comes with Windows 7 STARTER edition? Is it not a bit disingenuous to omit the word STARTER?"

A <snip> from their Technical Department replied via email as follows
    Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback, we appreciate your comments and look forward to your valued custom in the future.

Kind Regards,

<snip>
    Technical Department
    Maplin Electronics Ltd

I thought that reply was ever so condescending so I decided to ask the question a second time, only this time I asked it slightly differently & used a different name & email address to pose the question.

"Which version of Windows 7 does this Netbook come with?"

This was the reply from the same person
    To: 'helplinedirect@gmail.com'
    Cc: Maplin Electronics Technical Helpdesk
    Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:32 AM
    Subject: ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook

Your FAQ Question: Which version of Windows 7 does this Netbook come with?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Maplin Technical Support,

This has Windows 7 Starter.

Kind Regards,

<snip>
    Technical Department
    Maplin Electronics Ltd

OK I thought, at least he came straight out and said it "STARTER" :D

I then checked their product page again and noticed that my question had not been included in their FAQ's section for that particular product.

I decided to email <snip> yet again to ask the following (again using my second identity).

Is there any specific reason as to why you have not included my question and your answer in "The ask a question" section for this product on your Website?

This is the second time I've put this question to Maplin but it still hasn't appeared on your Website?

His reply was:

To: 'HelplineDirect'
    Cc: Maplin Electronics Technical Helpdesk
    Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:56 PM
    Subject: RE: ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook

Hello,

Not all FAQs are posted to the website.

As the website states:

You can submit a question to gain further technical information that is not currently shown on this page. You will receive a response via email and if your question is appropriate it may appear on this page with the answer. Please make sure you enter a valid email address below so we can get back to you.

Kind Regards,

<snip>
    Technical Department
    Maplin Electronics Ltd

Jaysus I thought, you really don't want the potential purchaser to know that this product comes with Windows 7 STARTER do you?

So I decided to give it one more lash :rolleyes:

I asked the following

"Thank you for your reply ,

The significance of omitting the word "Starter" appears to be intentional on Maplins behalf & your refusal to post this important detail even after it has been brought to your attention is further evidence that the omission is intentional. In fact it could even be construed as a effort by Maplin to mislead the potential purchaser.

Thankfully there are many other forums where this particular case can be discussed.

Regards,

"

His final reply was:

Hello,

This information is due to be added.

However, it is going to be added to the module itself, rather than an FAQ.

Kind Regards,

<snip>
    Technical Department
    Maplin Electronics Ltd

Product Details Prior to my little rant:

maplinbeforerant.jpg

Product Details After my little rant:

maplinafterrant.jpg

<snip> Technical Department Maplin Electronics Ltd had to have the final say of course, he would not include my question in their FAQ's section but at least he decided that it was best not to push the issue any further and so included the correct description for the OS in the details section.

I know too that experienced users would probably know that a Netbook would come with the starter edition of Windows 7 but not all run of the mil purchasers would, nor would they fully understand the implications\restrictions originally associated with Windows 7 Starter Edition.

Ah well, at least the prospective buyer will now know exactly what they are getting :)

Link to actual product:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

gadgetman is fightin' da good fight!! :pac:

Okay kids...

Moral 1: Don't bring your business to eBuyer if you're a business :o:p

Moral 2: Harrassing Maplins for great justice can be both righteous and fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

have anyone used www.alternate.eu ?
    recommended by a spaniard workmate, they seems to have an irish site

quilmore wrote: »
    have anyone used www.alternate.eu ?
    recommended by a spaniard workmate, they seems to have an irish site

Hadn't heard of them but their prices seem to be well off the mark on the few items I checked?

-

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pats22b

re the above with ebuyer vat accounts has anyone managed to do it with hardwareversand.de

inquired with them didn't get a reply yet but was wondering if anyone had gotten through the process

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I am planning to get this hard-drive next Tuesday.

Is Komplett good for their hard-drives and if not, can you recommend somewhere that would get the same specs for around the same price, delivered!

Thanks in Advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/1TB_Samsung_Spinpoint_F3_SATA2_3_5-Hard_Drive-32MB_cache-7200rpm_/index.html
    A few euro dearer but worth it at the moment with all the problems komplett are having. Have got a few things from memoryc and never had a problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I bought an external HDD off Komplett a few weeks ago and had no trouble with them. Maybe I was just lucky?

Well, hopefully I will get the same luck as you mate lol

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

got my build from newegg.

The processor's retail box looked smashed in and was torn in a place or two. Just a big box full of brown paper as packaging :eek: The hard drive was bubble wrapped, but it was DOA - a ****ing shame because everything else appeared fine. My boss let me ship it to the office and I think he was so aroused by the look of the antec 902 case he even let me build it on the clock :D But when we powered it up of course i got the Grind of Death.

RMA'd the Hard drive and Newegg's site asked me if i wanted to print a UPS label... this took me to a billing screen where they wanted $10.30 for the label :mad: I got onto the Chat support...

"How can I help you today?"

"Hi yes I have a quesiton about shipping an RMA"

<pause>

"Yes Im sorry your product was defective we are emailing you a prepaid shipping label"

I mean come on. Why not just offer it up front? I know Im sure they save money doing that but I think it's dubious. They need a slap. Minor problem I know; I still like the website and the package tracking was pretty tricked out. Just mad all I can do is load expressgate for the next week unless I go to a brick and mortar and buy a primary-come-secondary hard drive.

Having said that the Processor/ram/board didnt post any errors and the case seems to run nice, quiet, cold, and blue

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I see lots of people on this forum ordering from Newegg... :pac:

Well they do have a kickass website in fairness to them. It's unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Ordered this router from Komplett, not knowing about all the stories on here about them sliding downhill. Well my experience as follows:
    - order placed on 26/6 Saturday evening
    - got email on 28/6 Monday evening that the order shipped for the pickup point
    - got email on 01/7 Thursday 1PM that my order is ready to collect

So no bad experience here. 4th or 5th order from them along the years, can't remember because my records were gone with my old account, but I do remember I never had any inconvenience.

I just got my drive from Komplett this morning. :)

Quick and Easy. That's the way that I like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Overheal wrote: »
    Well they do have a kickass website in fairness to them. It's unsurprising.

Since when did they start shipping to ireland?

I used to use them through an american friend who would ship on the parts as it was a steal back then, not sure if it still is now, but I'd consider using it for my new custom build if they ship to ireland, were always the cheapest pricing and best range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

TheDoc wrote: »

I used to use them through an american friend who would ship on the parts as it was a steal back then, not sure if it still is now, but I'd consider using it for my new custom build if they ship to ireland, were always the cheapest pricing and best range

What about customs and Irish VAT, surely that would negate potential savings if newegg are shipping direct.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Oh I dont know about that. Im in the US.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I must know whats inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

That is pretty awesome. :eek:
    And the most amazing thing is that the dude who's filming it doesn't go there after the novelty worn off and pick the poor thing up, although probably that'd be his job. :pac:
    Also this.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

What are the the best sites sites that will do a build for you from the components you've ordered?

http://www.meshcomputers.com seem to do that. Would anybody recommend anywhere with a better value/reputation?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Years back I was looking at a computer from mesh and found them decently priced for a relatively high end laptop. For some reason I wasn't able to buy off them though, think they didn't deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Years back I was looking at a computer from mesh and found them decently priced for a relatively high end laptop. For some reason I wasn't able to buy off them though, think they didn't deliver to Ireland.

Thanks for the reply, but they do now. Even though it's £65 or more, depending on what you're ordering.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Donne wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but they do now. Even though it's £65 or more, depending on what you're ordering.
    They may as well not deliver here if that's how much they're charging. Crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Maybe it was paint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Having being trying to contact komplett team for the longest time and no success.

~20 calls and 3 emails over 2 weeks

Very poor service in my opinion.
    Have used them for years now but this is the pits. From now on its hardwareversand.de , pixmania.ie and specialtech.co.uk all the way from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Why not Elara.ie?
    Used it for almost all PC parts and lots of other items for friends.
    Fast, polite, very informative.
    Would give them 10 of 10.

Advertisement