Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences on this monitor for gaming/general heavy use?

link

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Hi all,

My Canon IP4500 printer is on it's last legs, can anyone recommend a good quality printer? Budget is around €120

I'd like one that's good for printing glossy pictures and also have the cd/dvd printing functionality if possible. I don't like the Muti-Functional ones with scanners.

I've had a good few Canon printers and they never seem to last more than a couple of years, at most, :eek: so I'm willing to switch to a new brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Help with choosing SSD (sorry i bring up the thing re buying one alot)

ive just scrapped a little bit of money together (and dont plan on buying any food for 3 weeks :o) and im gonna order the SSD now that prices have stabalised and that i need money for is coming up in teh near future.

anyway, i was about to order this Corsair Force 120 GB via amazon, figuring that @120gb ive got it a little futureproofed, and that 60gb was just so little, when it got me thinking, why not 2 of these Corsair Force 60 GB in a RAID 0 array, making it close to twice as fast as the 120gb and the same capacity? am i blinded and missing something obvious/stupid?

and will there be any potential problems with my current setup?
    case: CM scout
    Mobo: MSI 770 - G45 (just has sata2 - problem?)
    PSU: CM silent modular pro 600w
    GPU: GTX 460
    CPU: athlon 2 X3 2.9ghz unlocked to Phenom 2 X4 B35 (with 6mb L3 cache) @2.9ghz
    Ram: 4gb crucial cl9 @1333mhz
    HDD's: 160gb samsung F1, 500gb F3.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

You'll have issues with TRIM / garbage collection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

And lower MTTF obviously enough :)

• Advertisement

You'll have issues with TRIM / garbage collection.

ive been reading that Trim is no longer necessary in newer gen SSD's, because the newer firmwares are much better at garbage collection. true? either way, is there any chance of TRIM compatibility being released for those SSD's in the near future?

would there be any issues with my current hardware?
    Jonathan wrote: »
    And lower MTTF obviously enough :)
    ive learned a long time ago to stop relying heavily on HDD's anyway. backup any key data online (of which people have very little tbh) outside of my photo's of drunken nights out :o, which has shameful stuff in them anyway, which is not to be missed.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    ive been reading that Trim is no longer necessary in newer gen SSD's, because the newer firmwares are much better at garbage collection. true? either way, is there any chance of TRIM compatibility being released for those SSD's in the near future?
    Well, they do implement an idle garbage collection. However, it could mean you'd have to leave your desktop idling for hours, just to be sure it actually ran! TRIM's a tricky one. If you're using windows 7 and have the two drives in RAID. It sees them as one big drive. So it sends a TRIM command to clean up this drive. But when it gets to the SSD's, it's like "um k, there's actually two drives here". So it can't execute.

by idle, is it ok to leave it running on the desktop while eg in college for 5 hours?

Should be. The only way of knowing it ran is to have done a benchmark before and after. With TRIM, the OS sends the command after a few minutes of idle time. With GC, I'm not so sure exactly and I think it varies depending on which controller the SSD uses, as each manufacturer implements GC using different algorithms.

Can anyone who has a RAID array of SSD's give me a little advice? does it degrade much without trim? if you had to do it again, would it be a single larger SSD rather than multiple smaller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Info is ot on the GTX 560... er GTX 560 Ti, I mean.
    Anandtech

... and in stock too. Listed in 14 flavours at scan.co.uk (only 3 of the 14 actually in stock).

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a i5 2500k CPU atm?
    All the retailers I've tried are sold out; Komplett, Dabs,HWV...

Anyone tried ordering one from USA?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Moon54 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a i5 2500k CPU atm?
    All the retailers I've tried are sold out; Komplett, Dabs,HWV...

Anyone tried ordering one from USA?

Scan.co.uk have some for £191.46 (Their Irish delivery is steep enough at £10.99 though)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-2500k-unlocked-socket-1155-sandy-bridge-quad-core-33ghz-6mb-cache-95w-retail

Most other UK retailers seem to be saying an ETA of 28/01/2011 (ebuyer, overclockers) on them so you shouldn't have to wait that long.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does any one know if the 6950 1GB can be modded like the 2GB version can. Tempted to get a new card and 6950 is one of my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

New catalyst drivers coming out tomorrow that should increase performance in some games on 68xx and 69xx cards :)

http://tech2.in.com/india/news/graphics-pc-addon-cards/amd-catalyst-11.1a-hotfix-drivers-set-to-arrive-on-republic-day/187452/0

marco_polo wrote: »
    Scan.co.uk have some for £191.46 (Their Irish delivery is steep enough at £10.99 though)

Thanks, Marco, that's a good price.
    They are pretty competitive in there cases too, the CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced is only £70 ~€81.

just look how big that thing is!!

11x0126h83amd.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Holy bejebus. That would have a problem fitting into standard ATX cases! I reckon maybe half an inch (if even) to spare to the bays

wouldnt fit into my scout i reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Tea_Bag wrote: »

just look how big that thing is!!

11x0126h83amd.jpg
    That's what she said!
    I want to see it compared to the 5970, both in length comparisons and performance, fecking ridiculously big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Can't decide between these two cards. Currently have a 4870. The GTX 560 Ti has slightly lesser performance, but on the other hand I do feel nVidia's driver tend to be better, and of course it offers PhysX. Thoughts?

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What? Nvidias drivers have been nothing short of terrible lately

What? Nvidias drivers have been nothing short of terrible lately

Really? I just find that ATI drivers tend to have less support for older games. Having said that, I just noted that ATI did implement a fix for Ghost Master which I complained about, so maybe they're catching up.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Really? I just find that ATI drivers tend to have less support for older games. Having said that, I just noted that ATI did implement a fix for Ghost Master which I complained about, so maybe they're catching up.

P.

Have a look on the Guru3D forums for opinions on the drivers. The last 6 months of Nvidia drivers have been awful. They even managed to break the GPU accelerated flash drivers that was perfect for ages (caused browsers and programs to crash), as well as microstuttering on NON multi-gpu builds.

It all depends on what you do with your card I suppose. Older games are fine for me with Nvidia drivers, but had some problems with the most simplest of tasks, I had to revert back to a 6 month old driver and use a custom program for SLI profiles :rolleyes:

So ignoring drivers as a factor, do you reckon the Radeon is the best way to go?

Cheers,

P.

For support yeah, but I have no doubt in my mind Nvidia will optimize drivers for the 5xx and get it right eventually. Price for price favours Nvidia's 560 slightly imo, pricewise

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First time in a while I've seen someone moan about AMD legacy support :p nVidia is horrible for legacy support for both hardware and software :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MSI have launched the first AMD Fusion motherboard, the E350IA-E45. It is a mini-ITX board, with a 1.6GHz dual-core AMD E350 APU (Radeon HD6310 graphics)

msi_e350ia_e45.jpg

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/35625/MSI-launches-first-AMD-Fusion-APU-mainboard

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hadn't Gigabyte already released an mITX Zacate mobo? It was on their retail product support pages a week ago...

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Hadn't Gigabyte already released an mITX Zacate mobo? It was on their retail product support pages a week ago...

Right you are, look like somebody is telling porkies in that link :confused:

Being kind and giving them the benefit of the doubt the MSI board seems to have undergone a retail launch in Japan, so perhaps that is what they meant.

Advertisement