Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

120 would be about right
    Cheers buddy! I'll take a few pics of it later on and stick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=1232&aid=26970&lid=2

how's this for a budget Mobo for a 500 yoyos build? (600 including OS)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Excellent. No fancy bells or whistles, just a reliable, stable mobo with a solid chipset, good OCing and core unlocking, and good integrated sound. Just don't try to OC a 140W CPU too far on one... :o:p

Solitaire wrote: »
    Excellent. No fancy bells or whistles, just a reliable, stable mobo with a solid chipset, good OCing and core unlocking, and good integrated sound. Just don't try to OC a 140W CPU too far on one... :o:p

Great, it's going in a friend's build so no OC'ing whatsoever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=1232&aid=26970&lid=2

how's this for a budget Mobo for a 500 yoyos build? (600 including OS)
    i have one, but it boots to be called a 770 G45, not sure if there's a difference.

no complaints on the thing, unlocked my tri core no without a hickup.
    sound seems fine, but i suspect its my speakers that are ****.

only thing that could be a problem is no onboard graphics, making it harder to diagnose a problem down the line with a graphics card.

• Advertisement

That's the updated version, was good until it got pricier and harder to find :o It has a second PCIe slot (x4 sadly) but in return sacrifices sound quality (Via strikes again!! :()

Anyone know a good quiet 200mm fan for my HAF 922?

Putting in some Noctua ones next year, yet they don't do 200mm fans, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Anyone know a good quiet 200mm fan for my HAF 922?

Putting in some Noctua ones next year, yet they don't do 200mm fans, any suggestions?

There are very few 200mm fans on the market but these are meant to be good bar they have leds.
    http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=88&type=specification

Only other i would suggest is maybe an Antec tri cool/bigboy as it come with switch with 3 settings.

If you had a fan controller it would give you a few more options.

game4it70 wrote: »
    There are very few 200mm fans on the market but these are meant to be good bar they have leds.
    http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=88&type=specification

are they any better than the Coolermaster R4 that comes stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

are they any better than the Coolermaster R4 that comes stock?

I believe so BUT i haven't read much about them so dont take my word for it. :rolleyes:

Why not go with 2 x 120mm fans instead as that will give you alot more options?

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    I believe so BUT i haven't read much about them so dont take my word for it. :rolleyes:

Why not go with 2 x 120mm fans instead as that will give you alot more options?

Ah yeah, good idea, I'll have 3 Noctua Fans in then.

The front one looks like I'd have to dismantle the case to remove, but I don't want to remove it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

GTX580 review got leaked and pulled earlier

some benchmarks

gtx580.png

HD 5970 2gb and world of warcraft really dont get along do they?

apparently nvidia wants the gtx 580 to be "affordable" and will be hammering down the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    HD 5970 2gb and world of warcraft really dont get along do they?

apparently nvidia wants the gtx 580 to be "affordable" and will be hammering down the price.
    Listed on Newegg from $560!
    Link.

Edit: Review up on Bit-Tech.

80460462.jpg
    AMD promises Radeon HD 6900 series launch for the week beginning December 13th
    linky to engadget

I wanted to install my HD6850 drivers before playing a game of Hunt The Missing WiFi Stick... only those muppets in PowerColor don't even bundle a Win7 driver on the CD!! banghead.gif

Its been out for a while now lads... :rolleyes:

Fixed things by manually installing the Vista driver but why oh why does the Detector program class OSes as "Vista" and "Not-Vista" with the latter considered as "always XP"? :pac:

You're a bit behind lads... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

I just got a Xigmatek Midgard case and inside was a PCI Fan Controller although they give no instructions on how to install.

Could someone help please?

IIRC it goes on an unused PCI Slot cover ;)

After that just attach the desired fans' 3pin MolexJr plugs to it :) Also bear in mind that you can also control the speed of PWM-capable fans (ones with a yellow wire) by plugging them into PWM-compatible case fan headers on the motherboard (not the 4pin fan header, that one is CPU Cooler only!)

How are you finding the 6850 anyway Solitaire?

• Advertisement

I'm not :o Need to get a case together for it before I start gaming on the rig (at the moment its nothing more than a crude testbed) and RL has not been kind :( The fickle mistress that is RL would not have left much time for gaming anyway, any spare time I have is going into Boards and/or making the case :o:p

While the testbed is caseless I've left it protein folding 24/7 instead :D

Well my build is fully up and running now. I'm using it as we speak.

Although one minor problem i have is that the USB 2.0 ports at the back of the Mobo aren't picking anyhing up but the USB 3.0 are. Any ideas? Im using a Gigabyte 870A-UD3 by the way.

Try updating the mainboard drivers? :confused:

I installed the drives that came with th Mobo itself but i will check online for some more.

If i plug my hard drive to the 6Gbps SATA will it make any difference to the 3Gbps. As currently i have it in the 3Gbps.

Ryan451 wrote: »
    If i plug my hard drive to the 6Gbps SATA will it make any difference to the 3Gbps. As currently i have it in the 3Gbps.
    what HDD do you have?

short answer: no, it wont make any difference.

very few HDD's can fully utilise sata300, let alone 6gbps. IIRC only a select few SSD's gain any speed at all. i think the C300 SSD (128gb+ models) gains 50Mbps read speed, and no gain in write speed over SATA6.

WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s is my current hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hey Ryan just wanted to know did you sort out the issue with only the 2 USB 3.0 slots working on the motherboard?

I arranged for UPS to collect my CPU from my house on Monday and they said that it will arrive in Germany on Thursday so Fingers crossed I get it before Christmas :P

Yeah Trev it's all fixed. Just magically began to work all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MMiskella

Hey guys and gals,

I've just built up a new system recently by purchasing parts from a UK based website/supplier and i'm planning to go the route of watercooling and looking to get a HD 6970 when it is released (next week) or early next year.

I've always been purchasing from the UK for building systems but i'm wondering if any progress has been made in Ireland or around the Dublin area for the latest high end computer parts. Taking into consideration total prices including delivery.

Looking around here I have seen the following mentioned who seem to stock the 6870 which is a good sign.
    • eBuyer.com
    • hardwareversand.de
    • komplett.ie
    • pixmania.ie

My question is, whats the best way to get our hands on new tech?
    If the total price is right I will take the plunge and get a 6970 when its released but a list of places I could get it from would really help with shopping around on the day. Has anyone tried purchasing from America? I recently purchased genuine car parts for half the price incl delivery from America compared to dealers here...:eek:

For the record i've been using overclockers.co.uk but some other UK sites have been giving better deals recently.

Also I saw in a sticky theres a sub section for selling hardware but I cannot access it, is there a minimum amount of posts or time until I get access to it?

Advertisement