Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Actually it was the $500 USD bracket,but as usual in europe the price doesn't change,just the $ to € sign

its even worse. 581eu+delevery. so we pay waaay more like always :(

one more video from him, he does pcie 2.0 vs pcie 3.0 and review of 7970

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

its even worse. 581eu+delevery. so we pay waaay more like always :(
    €532 with OCUK if you buy they're brand 7970 delivered.

Wonder what the 6gb models will cost when they arrive

€532 with OCUK if you buy they're brand 7970 delivered.

Wonder what the 6gb models will cost when they arrive

check that video. he even mentioning that 3gb is a total overkill. he even showed how games at 1080p use only 1100mb ram, the only game that used more was BF3. i wonder if we need 6gb version...

looks like great card and it did what it wanted: take over fastest single gpu card spot in the world.

i got birthday on march, so i will ask for second 570 of misses :D

very cool thing he showed: there is almost no difference between pcie 2.0 and pcie 3.0. great news if you ask me!

• Advertisement

check that video. he even mentioning that 3gb is a total overkill. he even showed how games at 1080p use only 1100mb ram, the only game that used more was BF3. i wonder if we need 6gb version...

looks like great card and it did what it wanted: take over fastest single gpu card spot in the world.

i got birthday on march, so i will ask for second 570 of misses :D

very cool thing he showed: there is almost no difference between pcie 2.0 and pcie 3.0. great news if you ask me!

I'll have to get a look at it later,have it bookmarked.

Honestly I think BF3 is the first of many to use more than the 1gb of VRAM,which is making me itchy with the 1GB VRAM my 6870 CF is pushing.

Im going to look at the 7870 or if they're too dear hopefully the 6970/6950 prices will drop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'll have to get a look at it later,have it bookmarked.

Honestly I think BF3 is the first of many to use more than the 1gb of VRAM,which is making me itchy with the 1GB VRAM my 6870 CF is pushing.

Im going to look at the 7870 or if they're too dear hopefully the 6970/6950 prices will drop:)
    spot on. when i went with my 6950s a few months ago there was talks on another forum about a few games approaching and exceeding 1Gb VRAM at 1080p. Metro2033 also exceeds it at some points.

i spent a bit more on the 2gb versions hoping to future proof that, and avoid your position.

BF3 is (almost) the first of many with that demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

not a chance :(. 530eu is just way out of my reach.

i would wait for more third party versions of it thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I love how all the 7970's are reference models with a different sticker for the brand.
    They must all be dying to get the things out and don't care about fancy cooling, just money :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I love how all the 7970's are reference models with a different sticker for the brand.
    They must all be dying to get the things out and don't care about fancy cooling, just money :P

That's how it is for any launch card I've seen. Making a non-reference design takes time and there will always people who want one as soon as possible.

That's how it is for any launch card I've seen. Making a non-reference design takes time and there will always people who want one as soon as possible.
    That's what I assumed, but would someone like MSI say, who already have their Twin Frozr design/brand not just get the specs a few weeks before launch and get their cooler setup for the new model.

I'm guessing if you were the only company with a custom cooler on launch day you'd make quite a bit of money!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's what I assumed, but would someone like MSI say, who already have their Twin Frozr design/brand not just get the specs a few weeks before launch and get their cooler setup for the new model.

I'm guessing if you were the only company with a custom cooler on launch day you'd make quite a bit of money!

I doubt they'd have the time to get a custom version out for launch day.

Pretty sure AMD controls the non-reference design releases so as their cards get their fair share of the market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pretty sure AMD controls the non-reference design releases so as their cards get their fair share of the market.

Not certain but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they gave their board partners free reign from day 1 this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

xfx already have a custom version of the 7970 out, looks pretty good. Lot cooler and quieter with a decent oc

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4511/xfx_hd_7970_black_edition_double_dissipation_3gb_video_card_review/index1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

xfx already have a custom version of the 7970 out, looks pretty good. Lot cooler and quieter with a decent oc

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4511/xfx_hd_7970_black_edition_double_dissipation_3gb_video_card_review/index1.html

looks awesome!

That does look very cool. Maybe not much of performance improvement over stock, but cooling is better. I was newer fan of that 6 series one fan closed style.

I really love the power consumption on 7970! It's less then 570 and waaaaaaaaay less then 580!

By the looks of it you can easily go crossfire with 750w psu! Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*shudders at the price*

I'm actually glad they put it so high, makes me not even remotely tempted to upgrade (not that I actually would in any case, 8xxx series cards will probably be the next cards put in this system if not 9xxx series).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I can't wait to see laptops based on Ivy Bridge and the mobile 7xxx series. Crazy-good battery life, me-thinks.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I can't wait to see laptops based on Ivy Bridge and the mobile 7xxx series. Crazy-good battery life, me-thinks.

Those could be very nice.

I don't need a new Macbook though.

nesf wrote: »
    No-one needs a new Macbook!
    You should be shot for even thinking such a thing!!

Alienware M17x with i7 3720QM, GTX 680M, and eight/three hours browsing/gaming battery... mmmm...

Alienware M17x with i7 3720QM, GTX 680M, and eight/three hours browsing/gaming battery... mmmm...
    You might aswell get a Macbook at the price you'd be paying for that :P
    Although the Mac would probably have i5 3420M, GT 620M for the same price.

I just bought an (please don't laugh at me, I have no space for a desktop :()XPS 17, i7-2670QM, GT 555M and Crucial M4 128GB for about €1050. Comparable Macbook is like €2000, pfft.

Ah high power gaming laptops.. One more invention that world does not need...

I remember nvidia was on about making external Gpus so you could use them on your laptops at home when you want some gaming. Anyone who has gaming laptop does play near wall socket anyway.

I though that was briliant idea!

I just bought an (please don't laugh at me, I have no space for a desktop :()XPS 17, i7-2670QM, GT 555M and Crucial M4 128GB for about €1050. Comparable Macbook is like €2000, pfft.

I've been thinking about a Windows laptop for a while, and the XPS 17 is actually my mid-range option. If I have the money, I'll be going for what will be the Ivy Bridge/6xx series refresh of the M17x.
    Ah high power gaming laptops.. One more invention that world does not need...

Depends. For over a year of college, I was using an M17x R1, as I was living on campus, and traveling home every other weekend; it was a fantastic machine. P8600 and a GTX 260M for €1,350 (vs. the €1,800 it would have cost). Linkie.

Dell XPS laptops, which I've owned, aren't even remotely comparable. Compare like with like, a high build quality Windows laptop to a Macbook (i.e. say a 7 Series Samsung or whatever). There definitely is an Apple premium but it is nowhere near as big as people who compare Dell laptops to Macbooks make it out to be.

I've been thinking about a Windows laptop for a while, and the XPS 17 is actually my mid-range option.
    In the mid range Dell XPS's seem to be the best value alright. They give some very good money off coupons and other deals that bring down what would have been a €1,600 laptop to €900. I know they phrase it like so, just to make it seem like they are giving an amazing deal, where as the reality is, the original price of €1,600 was at launch date when Sandybridge was brand spanking new, but they still give good deal now and then :)
    nesf wrote: »
    Dell XPS laptops, which I've owned, aren't even remotely comparable. Compare like with like, a high build quality Windows laptop to a Macbook (i.e. say a 7 Series Samsung or whatever). There definitely is an Apple premium but it is nowhere near as big as people who compare Dell laptops to Macbooks make it out to be.
    I absolutely love my XPS 17, everything about it is class.
    It's got 6+ hours of battery life, when doing stuff like browsing the net or watching movies.
    When I turn to gaming I have a GPU that was turned off thanks to nVidia Optimus that can run Skyrim at Ultra settings on 1600x900(shadows turned down to medium).
    Huge trackpad comparable to a Mac.
    A lovely keyboard that is very comfortable and nice to use.
    What I find to be a very stylish design that I find very attractive(in a laptop kinda way).
    Very good build quality, with nice aluminum finish.
    I can't think of anything a Macbook has over my XPS.

I don't mean to say Mac's aren't good. I do like some of the stuff they have. Like the larger multi-touch trackpad was originally conceived by Apple which I am very thankful for, and the island style keyboards are nice to use. Apple generally is very inventive and brings out new fancy technology that's cool. But you have to admit they are way over priced (especially since their OS is a glorified Linux distro :P). They are like the Merc of cars, but why would I waste all that money on a Merc when I can get a Passat for half the price and use all that money I saved to buy a new computer or something else that's more useful.

RE: battery life, is that 6 hours with the 9 or 6-cell battery? Wifi, brightness, etc.?

Just curious. I've seen Dell's figures, but haven't found any concrete user-experience numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Depends. For over a year of college, I was using an M17x R1, as I was living on campus, and traveling home every other weekend; it was a fantastic machine. P8600 and a GTX 260M for €1,350 (vs. the €1,800 it would have cost). Linkie.

You didn't carry that around did you? It must of weighted a ton!

Advertisement