Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Well - BigCityBanker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Just noticed this thread now, most of obvious questions seem to have been asked.

1) You get a call to say theres a game running where the chief is sitting with 30k and english fred the super fish is playing 50k and that iranian dude who plays the se has 50k too, your offered a freeroll 20k steak for half your winnings. On your way to the game the pussycat dolls ring you to say they are booking out of their suite in two hours time but need some offally love before they leave.

Which destination do you head for, you cant do both?

2) Offered 3/2 on a coin flip for your whole net worth only one shot, yay or nay?

3) Order of importance,

game selection,
    patience,
    aggression,
    bankroll management,
    hand reading,
    tilt control.

4) Where do you see yourself in 2, 5, 10 years, still involved in poker etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

2) Offered 3/2 on a coin flip for your whole net worth only one shot, yay or nay?

how about 6/5 6 times, man i run bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Couple more, Qs, and thanks for the kudos in the thread.

1) €150k to never ever have a punt or a game of poker again, easy decision?

2) The soulread KJ call in Drogheda, were you worried about the embarrassment if you had it wrong and stacked off to your buddy?

The Ten high hand was probably the funniest thing Ive seen in poker wp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭westlife

meh, 3rd at 7/1. Hit the front and traded at 1.13 in running on Betfair. Next time.
    AT Haydock Sat(and Wetherby Thurs eve, Chester Fri afternoon, Aintree Fri evening)..... backed the winner at 16/1! Your fella is a great bet next time out in same grade when dropping down to 6 furlongs. He showed great gears 2 out (prob got there too early). I suppose I have to ask you a question...... Can you get me one of those bean bags from the IO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Mellor wrote: »
    anyway, heres my Qs, sorry if they are repeats,

What would you consider the optimal sized tourney, in order to highlight the best player as close as possible. (As in the 5k+ runner WSOP ME is a luck race and means little, and that STTs are too small,)

Did PPP have a dedicated photographer at the IO, or plans for one at the winterfest?

Parlez-vous francaise?

Whats your opinions on the recent staking trend?

Would you consider staking
    Or being staked?

And favourite steak?

(FYI you recipe above appears in a jamie oliver book, almost word for word, c'est tres bien)

1. The variance is too high to use any 1 tourney, its just impossible. Maybe a series of 100, 100 player, 8k, 40min clock tourneys would be a good series to distill any given group of 100 players.

2. We had 2 dedicated photographers and i imagine we will do the same at the winterfest.

3. not really, drop me in france for a month and id soon figure it out again.

4. Its just a passing phase much like the internet and computers.

5. i would consider steaking ppl but very few ppl would make the cut. I would deffo take staking, like if someone wanted to put me into the WSOP main event id jump at it. Or into a juicy 10/20 cash game int he Bellagio during the series when its playin deep, with 3 * 5k buyins or sumthin then id deffo take it.

6. Fillet or T-Bone, im not fussy

7. Jamie Oliver clearly copied me :pac:

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    Hey Noel

very rarely I ask anything in these but here goes.

firstly i remember that hand with darius and im nearly certain that you did declare a straight before flipping over the A3,

1) I think you started with pp after a while of leaving your old job? Was the intention after finishing in the old one always to get another job or did you hope that you could make enough off poker to sustain your high living standards which you mentioned before? If that was the intention was there one particular moment of realisation in the Sporting for example that you said it just isnt possible.

2)This is relation to the big cash game at the ept where you mentioned winning one of your biggest pots. IIRC it was a three handed pot with Anna from mermaid and some other guy with the KQ spades for the flush draw, vs the made straight and something else.

I had just arrived at the table at this point and tbh im not sure if you played another hand until you left. This shocked me a bit as with Fish on monkey tilt, crazy mariano and the big venezuelan lad in the game it had to of been one of the most + ev games that there ever has been. Was it a case of just being happy to take your 2k profit from the game and leave it at that or were you slightly intimidated by the stacks?

gotta go, but ill ask more in a while

1. It was never my intention to sustain myself from poker, im not good enough and I have no illusions about my game. It was my intention to take some time off and maybe do a bit of travelling but the PPP job popped up and i was lucky enough to secure it. I think it was less than 3 weeks from when i left my job to when i got the new job with PPP.

2. I left that game with 4k profit so i dont know how u feel i locked it up after winning the first big pot of 2k or w/e. I played big pots with Nick Slade, BA, the venezualean guy and others. Fish wasnt in the game til I left. You were probably too pre occupied with trying to make yourself look like Irelands top poker player in front of the visiting pros to realise that I was playing pots. For such a sick value game you did your loot that night, iirc you initially bought in for 2k and did it by trying to make a sick hero call against Nick Slade with AQ high only for him to be kind enough to show you the absolute nuts. its quite possibe you were the value :pac::pac: As for intimidation by the stacks, lol, no, as ive outlined above, i played plenty of hands, whilst the game may be +EV overall it is only so if you play each individual +EV situation as best you can, you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear, so I wasnt going to take that game to try and turn -EV spots into +EV ones as ultimately that would lead to somebody in the game doing their loot. Its very important to adapt to the table dynamic, and not necessarily be the one to try and change it.

1. Antonius or Brunson?

2. iPoker or tribeca?

3.Given the fact that u have a propensity to be a bit of a cocknose and the fact that ur from Offaly etc, do u perhaps feel that that BaldCountryWanker would be a more apt screenname?

1. Incomparable imo. Both are legends of different generations. A bit like trying to compare guineas or derby winners across the decades.

2. Tribeca

3. Your probably right but i didnt think of it when I was registering my account here. Maybe I will subscribe to boards and change my name. If I hold a collection would you contribute in order to get my name changed?

1. 3 day 2500+ buy in event first couple of levels do you take a known 50/50 race for all your chips?

2. Why are there more people playing a typical CPT game than the total number that played the three EOM games in Dublin last month? Is a successful local live scene good or bad for online poker?

3. How are poker sites going to cope with the forthcoming challanges in a declining market (Integrity of the games i.e. protection for players v bots and collusion will IMO be the big ones) when they cannot produce trivial bug fixes / promised enhancements over the course of a year?

4. Will Betfair eventually do away with rails bookmakers? Is any punter who can find the liquidity they require on betfair or similar throwing money away by dealing with the dinosaurs? Do you ever post on the Betfair forum anymore?

5. Is there a better job than Frank Berry's?

6. Davy, Paul or Ruby?

7. You have a decent NH prospect but you also want to try for a nice score - Arthur Moore or Tony Martin ? and if you had another option who would you pick?

8. Highlight Lowpoint of last NH season?

9. I hear that you were a top class hurling full back? why did you give it up? Tell us an (Offaly) good hurling story.

1. hmm, there never really 50/50 but dead money in the pot can sway you to take it with AK. Probably, id need reason not to. If the stacks were 15000 and ive 0 invested int he pot and im on the button with AK and the hj open jams and turns over QQ then im folding.

2. I really dont know, id guess that the CPT players have limited choice and therefore mark the dates in their diary well in advance whereas in Dublin we have too much choice. I want to make more of an effort to play the Fitz EOM, getting gr8 numbers and being really well run. Live scene is good for online the same way as online is good for live.

3. What makes you think its a declining market? do you track this data? Also the two things uv highlighted bug fixes/collusion are two seperate branches of expertise, the resources required to battle colusion can not easily be substituted to dev teams. The poker industry isnt the first industry to face challenges, and the poker industry will meet and deal with all challenges as they arise much like the history of all industry, i mean, making a faster processor was a challenge for intel 10 years ago and they met the challenge etc etc.

4. no, also liquidity is a key factor which really cant be ignored, it is so important that you really have to see markets operate from the back end to understand its importance. lets say u have a live one tomorrow and you check the highstreet prices, its 5/1 everywhere but 7/1 with just one bookmaker. you want 1k on it, what do you do? i can tell you you wont be getting matched on betfair.

5. id guess so, id much rather be Paul Shanahan.

6. Paul is finnish and the other 2 are as bent as 6pence. Ruby when he is onside is as good as it gets.

7. Why give it to Tony? ur money wont be on at the right price. ALTM is the best there is for handicapping and campaigning a horse, they dont call him the gentleman crook for nothing, he is my first pick and after that i probably ship it over to Emma Lavelle or Evan Williams.

8. Low = them running Time Electric on such a bog in Navan, they destroy the horse, he may need a season to get over it. High = Traffic Control selling for such big bucks after he won his mdn p2p.

9. I wasnt that good, i was pretty crazy tho and would go through you for sport and was known colloquially as the bull, if you solo in the ball once my modus operandi was to ensure that you didnt really feel like getting hit as hard the next time you came in so you chose not to. If you came in a 2nd time you really pissed me off and id try to end it at that. I was good under a high ball but any good full forward who was getting good low ball in from the half or centre line would show me up to be the average hurler i was. I gave it up due to injury.

Story, this one is from years back, I come from the St Rynaghs club and our most hated local rivals were a club called Lusmagh (they gave us John and Jim Troy). A number of years ago when rivalry was at its highest we were playing them in Birr and they were leading at half time. As the players approached the tunnel Ginger Kelly from lusmagh stood pointing at the scoreboard and taunted one of the Rynaghs players. Now Ginger specifically picked James Horan to taunt and he wasnt a man to take to it lightly. James was well known for being a genuine hatchet man, he came from a school of hurling which was later made famous by the likes of Aidan Fogarty and Sylvie Lennane - there moto was, 'pull when its coming, pull when its there, and pull again when its gone', the 'it' of course in this scanario was the ball. James, without breaking stride upped with his fist planted ginger one in the jaw, and this was seen by the referee at the time Gerry "crown topper" Kirwan who proceeded to wait at the entrance to the pitch so that upon the return of the teams he could send James off and put him to the line. As the teams left the dressing rooms and made for the pitch Alo Horan (a cousin of James and manager of the team at the time) copped that Gerry was waiting to put James to the line so he turned them around and ran them back into the dressing room. He procceded to substitute James and put him in a tracksuit and sent him to the hill with the spectators giving him instructions to make his way down to the pitchside once the game had resumed. As the teams then made there way out the sub handed the slip to Gerry who saw that James was taken off.

Once the game restarted James made his way to the pitch, climbed the fence, stripped out of the tracksuit and was resubstituted onto the field. At this point Gerry Kirwan was no longer in position to send him off (im not sure of the exact rule but in poker parlances action had taken place and he couldnt send him off for an incident that happened in an earlier period of play). It is well known that when James enterd back onto the field of play that he made his way to Kirwan and rubbed his arms in front of him and told him of how cold and tired he was and that the 5 minute break had served him good. James proceeded to rattle up a number of scores thereafter and Rynaghs won the game.

Just noticed this thread now, most of obvious questions seem to have been asked.

1) You get a call to say theres a game running where the chief is sitting with 30k and english fred the super fish is playing 50k and that iranian dude who plays the se has 50k too, your offered a freeroll 20k steak for half your winnings. On your way to the game the pussycat dolls ring you to say they are booking out of their suite in two hours time but need some offally love before they leave.

Which destination do you head for, you cant do both?

3) Order of importance,

game selection,
    patience,
    aggression,
    bankroll management,
    hand reading,
    tilt control.

4) Where do you see yourself in 2, 5, 10 years, still involved in poker etc?

1. This is ridic easy, I can play poker anynight but gangbanging the pussy cat dolls is a once off. + once ive done it i can sell my story to the tabloids which should substiutute for the expected loss of poker income

2. nay, the risk of ruin is too high.

1. game selection
    2. tilt control
    3. patience
    4. hand reading
    5. aggression
    6. bankroll management

4. i dunno where il be, alive and healthy would be a great start. I would deffo think i will still be involved in the gaming industry, wheter that be poker or a similar closely aligned industry. Ive always seen myself likely to gravitate toward this industry, i was just really lucky to get the opportunity when i did. Now that im here it would need to be something really good to move me.

Couple more, Qs, and thanks for the kudos in the thread.

1) €150k to never ever have a punt or a game of poker again, easy decision?

2) The soulread KJ call in Drogheda, were you worried about the embarrassment if you had it wrong and stacked off to your buddy?

The Ten high hand was probably the funniest thing Ive seen in poker wp.

the kudos are well deserved, i think you know yourself that you are A) a businessman B) a poker player, in that order. If your priorities were realigned and you wanted to bring poker to the top your more than good enough so it goes without saying that you obviously have a sick amount of knowledge to impart.

1. 150k in perpetuity is damn all really so id pass it up.

2. Obviously I would have been disgusted, but switching the situation around and realising that this guys main motive was to show me a bluff made me make the call.

yeah the 10 high was unreal, im pretty sure il talk about that for a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

lol at the hurling fable just lol, wp mentors et al

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Why do ppp (i'm sure that other poker companies do aswell) insist that player who have qualified for tournies online wear their clothing in the live event? The players payed their entry fee into the feeder therefore surely ppp and other companies shouldn't have the right to make the players wear their clothing especially if they aren't paying them?

If a player refused to wear the clothing could/ would ppp bar the player from playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Nice one thanks, you have a good read on the trainers. I always laugh at the uproar when Martin gets one through and then Arthur pulls one off that looks far more outrageous and no one bats an eyelid.

Truly amazing that they would spend all that money and then destroy a good horse like that...nevertheless do you think that there was ever (or will be) a chance that Time Electric would be ahead of Cousin Vinny? (I suppose I could be asking you to compare apples and bananas, time will tell)

I not sure that the online market is declining yet. I do think that the industry will need a lot of innovation and investment to prevent one.
    1. game selection
    2. tilt control
    3. patience
    4. hand reading
    5. aggression
    6. bankroll management

If game selection is the most important thing why would you play the 1.2.5 NL game with at least 4 other known good players rather than the 1.2 p l with a table full of donkeys like me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

1. Offaly GAA is in a sorry state, we have a very small pick. Years ago people didnt really leave home to go to college, they stayed local and worked for Bord Na Mona, ESB and the likes so the player pool remained local. Now there are numerous talented players who head for Dublin, Galway or w/e, find student life, take to drinking and riding fat birds for there hobby rather than playing GAA. I come from the St Rynaghs club home of 3 all ireland winning captains, Horan, Hanamy, Rigney - I also come from a prety strong GAA backround with All Ireland winners on both sides of my family for both Offaly and Galway. Ive played lots of Hurling and won numerous county championships at different levels, ive not played for a couple of years though, I broke my arm for the 3rd time and that pretty much wrapped things up for me as I no longer had the physical power required to play.

Respect on the hurling, Noel; it's undoubtedly one of the purest sports left on the planet. Like Richie (coillcam) said, Sean White is training our club team back home. Excellent trainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I have no questions but would just like to say this is a great read.

Well done and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

If game selection is the most important thing why would you play the 1.2.5 NL game with at least 4 other known good players rather than the 1.2 p l with a table full of donkeys like me?

4 is pushing it. You'd be unlucky if there were 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

Well done on the well, good read.

How u feel about a member of team ipoker for the next one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MoneySucks

...or an options trader.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Hi George,

I knew it was you. I play the hand the exact same way over and over again.

1500/3000/200 + Ricky raises to 9k = 15,100 in the middle and I push for 37,000 or so (Ricky says 37k but I think i pushed for 44k). Ricky had opened 6 hands in a row, i think my play is actually pretty standard, my cards are pretty much irrelevent. AJ was the very margin of his calling range and given his activity he folds tons and it makes it a profitable play. I think? :confused:

Great read - I agree with a lot of your opinions on here (didn't think I would)

UL in this hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Double post

• Advertisement

westlife wrote: »
    Can you get me one of those bean bags from the IO

no chance, there nice tho arent they?

I thought you just wanted a black shirt?

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Why do ppp (i'm sure that other poker companies do aswell) insist that player who have qualified for tournies online wear their clothing in the live event? The players payed their entry fee into the feeder therefore surely ppp and other companies shouldn't have the right to make the players wear their clothing especially if they aren't paying them?

If a player refused to wear the clothing could/ would ppp bar the player from playing?

not really a suitable well question, but you wear the branded gear because they are part of the T&C's which you agreed to. If a player has a compelling reason as to why they do not want to wear the gear then I will be reasonable. I have made more than one exemption in the past and even did so for a player in the Irish Open.

Game selection isnt really my strong point.

Also, there are times when I see more value in the 1/2/5 game and feel I am exercising game selection. like if ollyk is in the game its hard not to join. :pac:

AKQJ10 wrote: »
    How u feel about a member of team ipoker for the next one?

Some key members of the ipoker staff read this forum. But I doubt they would be up for an in the well thread.

MoneySucks wrote: »
    Why?

My background and undergrad and postgrad was very much geared towards finance.

My strongest disciplines would have been fixed income/options/equity markets/corporate finance modules so id have loved to get working on it. I think i have good handle on it and wouldnt have minded to have pursued that specific line of business. Getting an opening there is ridic difficult though.

Have you a compelling reason as to why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Good read so far Noel RE your hurling days,
    i think you should join a club up here the dubs cant play and youll walk into any team
    the human body is a great tool use it well being 26? if you done some exercise youd be flying in a few months.
    Do you think poker is the cause of many players expanding middriffs? or are they just lazy feckers?
    Did you ever have a night out in Ballinasloe without having a row full of tinkers it is.
    You are single now prob threw choice do u think poker negates the social lives of young guys early 20s like yourself eg could be off humping some heifer in coppers instead of stuck in casino fri sat nights?
    I have many faults in my play can u tell me one which u think is worst cheers an good luck:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

Some key members of the ipoker staff read this forum. But I doubt they would be up for an in the well thread.

I meant O' Shea, Chub, Chump, Rees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭pierce hard

Hi,
    I keep earing about this 10 high hand. Could you write about it or link to where you have please, for those of us who dont know it.
    Thanks, good well.

Hi,
    I keep earing about this 10 high hand. Could you write about it or link to where you have please, for those of us who dont know it.
    Thanks, good well.

http://bigcitybanker.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

• Advertisement

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Good read so far Noel RE your hurling days,
    i think you should join a club up here the dubs cant play and youll walk into any team
    the human body is a great tool use it well being 26? if you done some exercise youd be flying in a few months.
    Do you think poker is the cause of many players expanding middriffs? or are they just lazy feckers?
    Did you ever have a night out in Ballinasloe without having a row full of tinkers it is.
    You are single now prob threw choice do u think poker negates the social lives of young guys early 20s like yourself eg could be off humping some heifer in coppers instead of stuck in casino fri sat nights?
    I have many faults in my play can u tell me one which u think is worst cheers an good luck:pac:

1. im might well, if i could get my lazy arse in gear.

2. yes, clearly is.

3. lol, what was the name of the nightclub down the road? Spiders or sumthin? wat a kip. I suppose it was the Palm Club for u when u were a lad? Ud have a team of knackers coming across from Hymany, used to be some craic watching the fights outside Supermacs. I was a quiet chap tho, no fighting for me.

4. yeah single, ur right poker negates the social lives of the youth. I try my best to get a mix tho by making plans to meet up with mates and some of them have good parties so i try to feed my hunger for sickness at those sort of bashes, it helps too when the bird cant just go upstairs like in Coppers so i eventually ware her down or else just lace her with drink or sumthin. Im kind of a funny fish tho, i can do without drink for long periods so it doesnt really bother me not to go out. Ive often done a night in Flannerys and Coppers and been stone cold sober - thats not a happy place lol...

5. I dunno Mick, think you have a very solid game and i enjoy playing with you, your talk at the table is very enjoyable. I think you have a good measured level of agression also. I suppose your biggest fault is letting me hit runner runner on you :pac:

Advertisement