Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English lords still own thousands of arces in Ireland from the plantations

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

I just rang them Javaboy, but Lucy Kennedy answered the phone and I didn't know what to say so I just hung up... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I just rang them Javaboy, but Lucy Kennedy answered the phone and I didn't know what to say so I just hung up... :(

I know what I would say... [rubs trouser legs vic reeves style]

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

As ruggie said it still can cause problems. My family is currently caught up in a dispute where theres been an injunction on the land for years now. However despite the príck in question being English, I take more offence to the ineptiude of the land commission and the Irish legal system in general.

The reality is that the vast majority of land in Ireland was transferred legally and properly back to the Irish population via the Land reform and as such this set in concrete Irish claim of title. Mightn't be nice to think we had to pay the feckers back after 800 years of shíte, but then just have a look at Isreal and the shambles that land title is there.

The majority got their patch, a few jammy brits got to stay on and from what I can see the poorer city dwellers got shafted.........

What I'd like to know is how it all came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

You Suck! wrote: »

What I'd like to know is how it all came about.

How what exactly came about?
    Im unsure from your post as to exactly what your referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

How the land commision came to decide those in the country ended up with acres, how they decided which lords could retain their lands and how it seems some in the citys got a raw deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Then I guess the question is who should get it if it is taken back?

Well apparently the travellers trace their origins back to the Irish that were dispossessed by Cromwell's campaign. Their lands seized as they were driven off to "Hell or to Connacht".

I suppose their innate Irishness means they'd find something to use it for that would be of much more value than beautiful stately homes and fabulous parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dinter wrote: »
    Well apparently the travellers trace their origins back to the Irish that were dispossessed by Cromwell's campaign. Their lands seized as they were driven off to "Hell or to Connacht".

I suppose their innate Irishness means they'd find something to use it for that would be of much more value than beautiful stately homes and fabulous parks.
    We could use a piece of 1000-acre wasteland/dumping ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Because these days saying anything "pro Irish" seems to automatically mean your Pro IRA, or at least thats the attitude of a lot of people. & out of fear of looking like a "RA head" people now roll their eyes when there's any talk of anything to do with Ireland in terms of those hanging issues left over from our war to gain out country back.

It's almost like people are embarrassed that we got it back. It kinda sickens me.

Fair enough. Incidently I am reading "Guerilla Days in Ireland" by Tom Barry which relates to the Old RA back in the '20's. Interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Igy wrote: »
    I hardly think LACK of development is Ireland's biggest problem right now :)
    Doesn't matter, a lot of the land is in inner city areas, from what people are saying here. You can't have an extra tax being paid to the effete wallies over in the yuk in any situation.
    humanji wrote: »
    But haven't they been doing just that for several hundred years? It's like Kenny and his neighbour. Neither actually lived on the land, but since Kenny tended the land, he felt he had a right to it. The difference with the landlords is that nobody has contended ownership rights.
    No, you actually need to squat on it. Squatting is an archaic term for "taking a crap", if that gives you any idea. In any case, these clowns aren't tending the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

What's the problem exactly? I mean surely the only reason anyone wanted an independent Ireland was so we had a free government, and we got that in the Republic, so what the hell does the lasting of any of the other effects of our country's era in the british empire matter? Smacks of an anti-british attitude which is just ridiculous in this day and age to be honest, our countries will always be significantly bonded no matter what the future holds, we'll always depend on britain slightly and vice-versa. So we'd do well to stop nitpicking over stupid ridiculous thing like this. I mean for god's sake we sometimes don't even give each other twelve points in the Eurovision, unforgivable neighbourly etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

What's the problem exactly? I mean surely the only reason anyone wanted an independent Ireland was so we had a free government, and we got that in the Republic, so what the hell does the lasting of any of the other effects of our country's era in the british empire matter? Smacks of an anti-british attitude which is just ridiculous in this day and age to be honest, our countries will always be significantly bonded no matter what the future holds, we'll always depend on britain slightly and vice-versa. So we'd do well to stop nitpicking over stupid ridiculous thing like this. I mean for god's sake we sometimes don't even give each other twelve points in the Eurovision, unforgivable neighbourly etiquette.

It is very single minded, ludicrous infact to suggest stealing land off people, just because of something someone else did generations back... That's why most of us have made a big joke of it.

The irony of this is that these 'nationalists' are probably all Liverpool fans! :D

Advertisement