Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Would the above work with this?

Yes but you are really cheaping out on the Graphics card there. If you don't need a monitor and your budget is €600 you should really be building it around a better card such as the GTX460.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think this build is somewhat more appropriate...

HWVS140910.png

Add a DVD burner and a few cheap 120mm fans and you come up to €600 for an upper-mid-range gaming rig with a 3GHz quadcore CPU with tons of cache and a GPU that laughs at Full HD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Solitaire wrote: »
    I think this build is somewhat more appropriate...

Image here....

Add a DVD burner and a few cheap 120mm fans and you come up to €600 for an upper-mid-range gaming rig with a 3GHz quadcore CPU with tons of cache and a GPU that laughs at Full HD :D

Many <3's to you :D
    Before I go and buy anything, all the wires for the internals (Like powering the HDD), are these provided with the purchases, or do I need to source these?

HWVSpart1.png
    HWVSpart2.png
    + 2*This
    Roughly €580 + postage
    any good?

Uhm... I know the mobo comes with at least one SATA cable, no idea if it has the second though because optical drives don't always supply one and HDDs never do :o And yes, the Gainward supplies a HDMI port but you'll need a HDMI cable if you don't have one already! :o

So, before I go ahead buying, my final list is:
    MoBo
    RAM
    GPU
    CPU
    HDD
    Case
    PSU
    Card Reader
    DVD-RW Drive

The total cost of all of the above is €560.96 :D

I also have a mouse and HDMI cable picked out. And a piece of DDR2 RAM to throw into my old PC because that'll still be getting some use.
    The overall cost of everything I'm buying is €592.51 :D:D (Without a keyboard)
    I'd just ask that you could double check everything above will be compatible.
    Many thanks to all the people who have helped me, and been quite patient with me :P

Giggsy

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that shipping costs €30 and you can't buy their keyboards as the Germans use a different key layout :o

Aside from that, regarding your earlier post 120mm fans start from €2.50 unlit and €4.50 lit (cheapest is blue LEDs ;))

CPU is very out of stock (i.e. no set delivery date); you might have to downgrade to the X4-925 unless you're willing to wait :o And your silver card reader is the wrong colour - your case is black :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dolihalix

I'm about to start working on my built.. for starters, is student discount any help in any of the sites you're using? Also, last time I attempted something like that was about million pints ago.. is it better to come up with something on my own and then subject it to the higher authorities( that would be you, experienced users) or simply ask for an advice from the very beginning?

dolihalix wrote: »
    for starters, is student discount any help in any of the sites you're using?

Nope, sorry.
    is it better to come up with something on my own and then subject it to the higher authorities( that would be you, experienced users) or simply ask for an advice from the very beginning?

Either way works. If you're gaming you can do some research on this thread or other gaming build threads where you see people spending about the same amount of money as you. You need to work out how much money you can spend on the PC, subtracting whatever money you need to spend on a new monitor/OS/peripherals (which can come to quite a bit!). You also need to tell us what you want to do with the new rig in order for us to help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'm about to start working on my built.. for starters, is student discount any help in any of the sites you're using? Also, last time I attempted something like that was about million pints ago.. is it better to come up with something on my own and then subject it to the higher authorities( that would be you, experienced users) or simply ask for an advice from the very beginning?
    Best practice is as follows:
    1. What you have now.
    2. What you use it for.
    3. What it's not doing.
    4. What you want it to do.
    5. Budget.
    6. Possible upgrades you'd like in the future.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dolihalix

Best practice is as follows:
    1. What you have now.
    2. What you use it for.
    3. What it's not doing.
    4. What you want it to do.
    5. Budget.
    6. Possible upgrades you'd like in the future.
    :)

I've only a laptop, which I'd love to start leaving at work. Other than that, I've good enough speakers. What I'm looking for is storage space, the option of adding an extra graphic card and prob some additional memory down the road. I'll be using it for gaming, mostly NBA 2K11, but sure something else will come up once I get my Steam account :) I will need a monitor too, so it'll go over 600 for sure, the budget would be anything around 800, but I'm willing to go as far as 1000 if it makes sense.

As in to Solitair's recommendation, I've been following the building and upgrading thread for a while now and seeing how you're able to help everyone I've kicked myself in the behind and decided to get a long wanted desktop. So far I've seen mostly lower budgets, perhaps because users building stronger computers are experienced enough to pick their parts, which is not the case here :)

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that shipping costs €30 and you can't buy their keyboards as the Germans use a different key layout :o

Aside from that, regarding your earlier post 120mm fans start from €2.50 unlit and €4.50 lit (cheapest is blue LEDs ;))

CPU is very out of stock (i.e. no set delivery date); you might have to downgrade to the X4-925 unless you're willing to wait :o And your silver card reader is the wrong colour - your case is black :o:p

Thanks for the head up as regard the Card Reader :P
    Gonna go for this instead :D

Also, I intend to start purchasing around December so I can exhaust any other routes of getting cheaper stuff 2nd hand from people I know.

Also, will the 120mm fans fit in automatically? AAANDDDD while looking through an ancient computer I have I found a 60mm fan on the CPU heatsink. I don't intend on reusing that PC ever again, and this is the only thing I think worth salvaging. Would it be worth using? IF I can find the power type though :P

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Thanks for the head up as regard the Card Reader :P
    Gonna go for this instead :D

Also, I intend to start purchasing around December so I can exhaust any other routes of getting cheaper stuff 2nd hand from people I know.

You do know this renders your current build less than irrelevant? :o:P Come back in December! :p Much will have changed by then...
    Also, will the 120mm fans fit in automatically?

Good point! Virtually any sub-€20 fan on the planet will come with a pack of self-tapping screws but they are utter ****es to play with so if you could find a bumper pack of these you won't go wrong. I can't find the big cheap 12- and 20-packs of these that HWVS and a few others used to sell though :o
    AAANDDDD while looking through an ancient computer I have I found a 60mm fan on the CPU heatsink. I don't intend on reusing that PC ever again, and this is the only thing I think worth salvaging. Would it be worth using?

Absolutely ...not! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm about to start working on my built.. for starters, is student discount any help in any of the sites you're using?

For software - software4students.ie
    Cheap windows 7.

You do know this renders your current build less than irrelevant? :o:P Come back in December! :p Much will have changed by then...

Good point! Virtually any sub-€20 fan on the planet will come with a pack of self-tapping screws but they are utter ****es to play with so if you could find a bumper pack of these you won't go wrong. I can't find the big cheap 12- and 20-packs of these that HWVS and a few others used to sell though :o

Absolutely ...not! :p

Thanks a million. I'll keep an eye out for prices and such until December. Then I'll be back, asking again, then buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BrockSamson

looking to Build a PC have everything else budget is around 620

newbuildm.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you intend to upgrade that ram in the future? 2GB isn't that much by today's standards. You could get 4Gb from about €20 more.
    I would also stretch to get a 460 as it's so close unless you don't like nvidia.

Too much CPU, not enough RAM and dreadful PSU :o

Inspired by the last few posts I have done something very silly.

Note that while the mobo is a bit naff and I haven't specced a cooler... €620?!?!?!? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

HWVS240910.png

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭thc4me

Amazing info in this thread thanks very much,
    Its been a long time since I was up to date on whats what in the hardware scene

I'm gonna order from the site Solitaire gets his specs from today/tomorrow,
    and of the above builds for 550-650 which one would you go for if your main priority was for photoshop and working with large raw image files,
    I want a good cpu and i'll make do with 4gb of ram until i can afford to add more, plus i'd love to get GTX 460 as i fancy getting back into some PC gaming, maybe some civilisation V
    Basically what im asking is Intel or AMD considering photoshop is my priority?
    I would love to get it at 600-650 including delivery, what would you order?
    I'm afraid to put a spec together myself without truly understanding what i require in regards to cooling/fans/case etc..
    Don't need OS/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/DVD
    Can't wait to order.....
    Thanks if anyone has the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are those super flower psu's any good? I've always read very bad things about them. Mostly due with them catch fire under heavy load. Much like the Tagan and jeantech ones a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anti wrote: »
    Are those super flower psu's any good? I've always read very bad things about them. Mostly due with them catch fire under heavy load. Much like the Tagan and jeantech ones a few years ago.

Apparently so, I looked up and found a very positive review for the Amazon 650W a few days ago after I first saw them popup in here.

Considering a 550W is going for around 50 euros on HWVS it seem like a decent budget option.

The SuperFlowers are an insanely mixed bag; some almost Corsair-like units mixed in with some timebombs that Solytech would be proud of :o The Amazon range is one of the better ones; they're basically garish Corsair clones with few but decent reviews and decent efficiency and stability. They used to be laughably overpriced but I noticed that recently the prices have halved making them extremely competitve units; they blow those nasty Coolermaster GX units out of the water :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So there are still a few exploding varities around then :D

thc4me wrote: »
    of the above builds for 550-650 which one would you go for if your main priority was for photoshop and working with large raw image files

I'd be tempted to go with the i5-760 build above, using the spare ~€30 of your €650 budget to upgrade the mobo to something a bit more classy and/or add an aftermarket cooler. IMHO the above build is fine as-is so long as you don't intend to overclock it and fine for light OC if you throw on a Hyper 212+ (once it reappears :o) or even an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2.0. A better mobo will cost you an extra €15 for the MSI H55M-E33 (or the cheap Asus, but it has eff-all onboard sound :() so getting the cooler as well would put you overbudget (€655 shipped) :o
    marco_polo wrote: »
    So there are still a few exploding varities around then :D

Yep, older ones mostly. I don't trust the nicely understated-looking 550W unit either as €35 doesn't usually buy you that much PSU... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BrockSamson

hardwareversand these guys dont make it easy is it possible to register on that site with an Irish Address

Hi again guys.
    Just wondering, which of these should I go for? (And the prices are good ok for me :))
    This
    This
    This
    Thanks again guys :D
    Edit 2: The GPU NEEDS to be able to run games smoothly at decent res/settings on a 26inch TV (HDMI)

Edit 1:
    Likewise:
    This
    This

The HWVS Gainward is pretty much the best graphics deal on the planet right now :D And the X4-945 should NOT be confused with the X4-940 on Pix; while both are nice juicy cache-heavy 3GHz quads the former is a 95W AM3 part that usually runs on DDR3 while the latter is a thirsty 125W AM2 part that can only run on an AM2 mobo with DDR2 :o

The HWVS Gainward is pretty much the best graphics deal on the planet right now :D And the X4-945 should NOT be confused with the X4-940 on Pix; while both are nice juicy cache-heavy 3GHz quads the former is a 95W AM3 part that usually runs on DDR3 while the latter is a thirsty 125W AM2 part that can only run on an AM2 mobo with DDR2 :o

Thanks a million.
    Wasn't 100% sure about the AM2/AM3 thing :)
    So I should go for:
    GPU
    CPU
    ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I don't know if you've had this discussion already, sorry if so. I was wondering what you folks think about the increasing emphasis on parallelism?

I was reading the FAQ about the up coming release of DCS A-10c flight sim here. In it, the authors reckon they are not using multi-core / multi-threading that much. They say that they have a new audio engine that spawns off on a separate thread but that seems to be it.

So this game mainly relies on a single powerful CPU and GPU.

Therefore, my questions are . .

Is it worth money forking out on multicore CPU's for gaming?

Is it the case that the more core a CPU has, the more diluted the power of each core?

Are other gaming developers starting to take advantage of spare core's in CPU's (multi threading their software)

What's the ideal CPU for today's gaming? (big question I know, feel free to waffle)

• Advertisement

Yes

Only in the way of slightly lower stock clocks, and this has far more to do with managing the CPU's power envelope than actual performance constraints

The vast majority of them, yes. Most PC games favour either dual or quad threads, XBox ports need three fast cores or they go down the pan, and PS3 ports need at least a tricore too or they bail, and prefer lots of slower cores to few fast ones. Many PC titles are fairly adaptable but trying to run a modern console port on a dualcore CPU results in a massive drop in FPS :o

Length of string to moon? :pac: All depends on the game, what resolution you're playing at and what quality you enjoy. On average most mid-range builds get by fine on a cheap AM3 tricore running at 2.5GHz+ even up to 1080p; upper-mid-range builds running GTX460s and the like prefer 2.5GHz+ quads and ones with decent L3 cache to boot. High-end multi-monitor builds sporting HD5850s and/or multiple GPUs really need the grunt of an i5 quad (preferably OC'd!) or better!

Advertisement