Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bit pricey IMHO but okay. Seen it for €60-odd on other websites, but they have higher delivery charges anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 GGspeedz

Solitaire wrote: »
    Bit pricey IMHO but okay. Seen it for €60-odd on other websites, but they have higher delivery charges anyway.

ya i like that site though because lazer is just alot easyer for me :P

would i need to add any extra coolers to the system e.g ram cooler or sumtin
    and is the stock fan good enuff for the cpu do people know?

cheers in advance..

RAM coolers are silly unless you're using something silly like 2533MHz modules or something :p Good case airflow is what does the trick! ;)

As for the i5-750, the stock cooler is naff but can still hold it in check perfectly well at stock speeds. Once you start climbing toward 3GHz things come apart fast though and while you could manage a mild overclock with the stock cooler in a case with great airflow you'd be getting nasty temps :o If you want to OC the i5-750 do yourself a favour and get a CPU cooler beforehand. At least an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2, preferably a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or even a Scythe Mugn 2 Rev2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I'm loving this thread lads! Those builds are sweet. Im looking to build a pc ~ 500 euro . No moniter needed immediatly or mouse and keyboard for that matter as long as the motherboard has ps/2 ? they still have those right?
    Ill be basing the build off a build in the thread. love looking through them
    Keep em coming!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I just built this. Feels nippy. It was a bit pricey though, about 600. But I didn't shop around too much.

Asus P7H55-V
    I3-530 - 2.93Ghz (Overclocked to 4Ghz on air stable)
    Alpenföhn Nordwand
    4GB - Kingston - KVR1333D3N9/2G - 1333Mhz x2
    HDS721010CLA332 1TB (32MB) 3.5 Inch Sata-II Hard Drives
    WiFi card
    QuietPC 400W
    CM Storm Scout (Case)

I'm using it as a wireless home server.

• Advertisement

http://twitpic.com/1pep8r

need to shave~50 beans off this . where can i save . ? want this pc to do me for quite a while. !

- If you're not playing very intensive games or never intend on upgrading to a 1080p monitor you can drop down to the 512MB version of the HD5750, saving 20 beans

- The CPU is nice but there's always the X4-955BE or even the X4-945 if you need to save some.

- That PSU is both underspecified and overpriced (I thought you'd put two of them in the basket for that price! :o). Get something like a Corsair VX550 if you want to run a 125W TDP CPU!

thanks! ya i did it in a bit of a rush . forgot to mention that i also have a dvd writer so dont need an optical drive

EDIT: i DO!

http://twitpic.com/1srj6b

Slightly overkill really would really like to be closer to the 500 mark. oh well :D

CPU: You could drop down to the X4-630 and save nearly €30 if you didn't mind losing all the L3 cache.

Mobo: Fine.

RAM: There's cheaper but I'd recommend you spec the OCZ Platinum instead as its the same price as the Gold right now :)

Graphics: Fail. I think you might need to spend more here, HD5750 at least! So that's anothert €20-30 to add to the price :o

HDD: Samsung F3 is better but IIRC more expensive so do as you wish.

PSU: Naff. If Pix have got the CX400 back in at a sane price (€40-50) you could survive on one of those if you're not OCing heavily, given the low power draw of the HD5670/5750 :)

Case: Horrid, nasty old stock! Thermaltake V3 has vanished from the website so I'd recommend upgrading the case to a NZXT Gamma and save a tenner in the process ;)

• Advertisement

CPU: You could drop down to the X4-630 and save nearly €30 if you didn't mind losing all the L3 cache.

RAM: There's cheaper but I'd recommend you spec the OCZ Platinum instead as its the same price as the Gold right now :)

Graphics: Fail. I think you might need to spend more here, HD5750 at least! So that's anothert €20-30 to add to the price :o

PSU: Naff. If Pix have got the CX400 back in at a sane price (€40-50) you could survive on one of those if you're not OCing heavily, given the low power draw of the HD5670/5750 :)

Case: Horrid, nasty old stock! Thermaltake V3 has vanished from the website so I'd recommend upgrading the case to a NZXT Gamma and save a tenner in the process ;)

Thanks for the advice! really appreciate it!
    ;)

Think this is a good setup for price . Couldnt find the corsair 400W for a good price on pixmania. Also need to pay by laser so thats why im going with them.

Thanks to Solitaire for the great advice. that case is sweet

108933793-db066738e5dd0a028925fa1418635c9e.4c043160-full.png

Still no image :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm building a rig for a friend, and using these suggestions as a base.

One question, would swapping the 925 for the 965 ( which is €20 more) be worth it?

To reiterate: This is a thread for budget gaming builds. Not €800+ monster rigs. The clue, believe it or not, was in the title... :o

This thread is dedicated to builds under €700 with leeway given if OS/monitor is required (limit used to be €600, but time has not been kind :() Any posts contrary to this rule-of-thumb may be moved with extreme prejudice! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

To reiterate: This is a thread for budget gaming builds. Not €800+ monster rigs. The clue, believe it or not, was in the title... :o

This thread is dedicated to builds under €700 with leeway given if OS/monitor is required (limit used to be €600, but time has not been kind :() Any posts contrary to this rule-of-thumb may be moved with extreme prejudice! :eek:
    ouch!:o sorry didnt really read the first post properly,was just hoping to get a general direction of the parts and then i can open a thread to optimise the price/performance of the build :(

Cheer up, I've given you your very own thread! :D

Updating the 1080p fun. For the princely sum of €550 you could have:

HWVS030610.png

Its only €50 more expensive than the equivalent spec from last year! :rolleyes::p

EDIT - Forgot the cooler! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

What's caused the price raise?

Exchange rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

SugarHigh wrote: »
    What's caused the price raise?

Exchange rates?

RAM prices have rocketed; GPU prices are less competitive.

• Advertisement

Mobo prices are up too, making it hard to justify updating entire platforms due to prohibitive total cost; as a result lots of AM2 builds are floating around simply to help cash-strapped upgraders keep their DDR2 and sometimes even their mobo, saving €100-160 (and let's not forget how cheap X3-440s and X4-630s are in comparison to Intel CPUs...).

Graphics card prices were uncompetitive up until Fermi; now they're just taking the urine as AMD realises nVidia is poor past €300 and doesn't have a leg to stand on under that. The mid-range cards are actually rising in price as a result, really hurting budget sub- and borderline-1080p gaming rigs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Solitaire, what site did you use to make that list? How much is shipping and do they deliver fast thanks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Solitaire, what site did you use to make that list? How much is shipping and do they deliver fast thanks?
    hardwareversand.de

Delivery is €30 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Holy hell that's a cheap rig. Mine has maybe two thirds the grunt (half graphically) and it cost a hundred quid more. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭zeromemory

Hi guys,

Time has come to upgrade my system. Was tempted to buy this mainly because of it's overclocked state.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OE&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=1803

Can you suggest something similar on an AMD system. Would like it near the 4.0ghz speed(overclocked). Same or much lower price.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

OK so after going on and on here about this build for the past year I'm finaly pulling the trigger.

Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
    Cooler Master Elite RC-330
    Corsair CX400W 400 Watt
    AMD Athlon II X3 440
    MSI 770-C45, AM3
    Club 3D HD5570 1024MB
    4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9*

HWS price : €431

So I need advice on the graphics basically:
    Club 3D HD5670 1GB

or the one in my basket
    Club 3D HD5570 1GB

Is it worth €20 of a bump?

*Damn RAM is expensive these days huh

I can't remember what you want to do on your system :o

But that's a cack price for a HD5670, a HD5750 isn't that much more and utterly roasts it in 3D performance :p

Shortlist: If no 3D, get whatever. If heavy-duty multimedia or very light-duty gaming at a low res get the HD5570. If heavy-duty gaming on a low-to-medium res or light-duty gaming at 1080p get a cheap HD5750. If medium-duty gaming at 1080p try to get a HD5770 1GB instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wouldnt you want a mobo with a core unlocker? turns that tri into a quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Any opinions on this build:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3 - €149.09
    NZXT Gamma Tower pure black, ohne Netzteil - €39.38
    MSI 790FX-GD70, Sockel AM3, ATX, PCIe - €154.38
    4GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - €95.85
    Arctic Freezer xtreme Rev 2.0, alle Sockel - €27.91
    XFX RADEON HD 5750 1GB DDR5 HDMI DISPLAYPORT PCI-E 2.0 - €127.27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Sorry forgot PSU
    Xilence Power 400 Watt / SPS-XP400 €30.22