Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hey guys,

€600 to spend. Don't need a monitor.

I'd like an Intel system with a Geforce GTX 460.

Is the following possible with that budget:

GFX
    Mobo
    CPU
    RAM
    Case
    PSU
    HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

That's going be very hard to make for under €600, especially if you need an OS.

What about this and then throw in one of these.

Job done?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Well... seeing as you failed to stipulate a DVD drive or shipping costs I'll say "Yes" :pac:

HWVS100910.png

Its not so much a question of "can you?" as "should you?" :o:p

Ah flip, didn't see your other post (you ninja'd me! :o) otherwise I'd have shown you an alternate AMD build :o

This time its under €600 shipped, although still sans DVD drive :p

HWVS100910a.png

Better case this time around and the CPU has three physical cores rather than the riskier arrangement of four virtual ones :p I would get a bigger PSU if I wanted to OC anything though, let alone try to unlock the fourth (dormant) core on the CPU! :o

• Advertisement

thanks a lot Solitare.

Would that setup be much better than just grabbing the Dell and putting in a GT460?

I'd actually like having everything working out of the box and no messing with wires etc.

Would the PSU be up to it if i threw the GT460 in?

By the way, what's the website you are getting those prices from?

quarryman wrote: »
    Would that setup be much better than just grabbing the Dell and putting in a GT460?

Much cheaper while having a better HDD, case, and PSU! ;)
    I'd actually like having everything working out of the box and no messing with wires etc.

Not going to happen. Even if you purchased the assembly option on HWVS (an extra €20) odds are you might still have to install the graphics card and cooler as owing to their shape and weight they're usually shipped seperately to prevent breaking the motherboard in transit :o And as for the Dell, you'd have to install the graphics card yourself, and probably a new PSU if the original one wasn't up to the GTX460's thirst! :o
    Would the PSU be up to it if i threw the GT460 in?

The one in my builds? Yep :) In the Dell? Almost certainly not! :eek:
    By the way, what's the website you are getting those prices from?

Hardwareversand.de :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Whats the best value budget gaming PC that includes everything like a monitor and keyboard?

Is it possible for €700 built and delivered?

I just want to run civ v and Shogun: Total war.

Easily... but what size monitor would you prefer and do you need an operating system as well?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Easily... but what size monitor would you prefer and do you need an operating system as well?
    Brilliant.

I don't need an OS and I'm not too fussed about the size of the monitor. I'm currently on a small laptop with 1024x768 so pretty much anything would be an upgrade.:D

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of going with your previous build but cutting out windows.
    HWVS100910a.png

Maybe going with one of these for a monitor.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30865&agid=603
    or
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37828&agid=603

Is that PC good enough for 1080?

Then pretty much standard keyboard and mouse
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36877&agid=754

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29503&agid=759

How much do you think delivery would be?
    Is it worth getting them to build it for you?

EDIT - D'oh, beat me to it :o

Given all their keyboards aren't QWERTY (think they're QWERTZ or DVORAK) owing to being a German company I'm not including a keyboard, but with mouse, speakers and monitor, for €650 assembled and shipped:

HWVS130910.png

You could upgrade to a GTX460 if you want, hitting nearly €680 sans keyboard and OS, either way this rig has a decent 1080p monitor and a graphics card to munch it :D

Thanks looks good. I think I'll go with the upgrade to the 460, it seems worth it.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/293259-15-5770-benchmarks

Bear in mind that the HD5770 1GB is still plenty good for 1080p and the GTX460, while more powerful, will make OCing that system highly inadvisable. 33A is just enough to keep the CPU, GPU and rest of system happy at stock (<20A loaded) but once you OC you start to encroach more and more upon that 33A, especially if you overvolt or try to unlock the CPU's fourth core :o

Would an upgrade to the PSU cost much more?

At the moment, no. For some reason HWVS have gone a bit mad and are flogging the fairly decent Amazon line at ludicrous prices; the 550W version is a bit over a tenner more than the 450W version I specced for you but should easily do the X3-440 + GTX460, even with a bit of OCing and core unlocking attempts thrown in ;)

WARNING: VIEWERS MAY FIND SOME OF THE IMAGES IN THIS REPORT DISTRESSING

Meant to post this up a while back, but... what happens if you have virtually no money and you want a basic gaming rig?

You probably have an old Windows license lurking around the place (or Ubuntu, WINE and desperation), can recycle or purchase a basic keyboard/mouse for a fiver, use your own headphones and plug it all into your TV (many having DVI or HDMI ports nowadays), but what about the PC itself?

€360 shipped. Those of you with a weak stomach, please avert your gaze... now:

Ugh.png

This thing can manage all your everyday computing tasks with ease and play most games well up to 720p, 720p+ at a squeeze. If you want a better 720p+ experience or play at higher resolutions, you can swap the GT240 for a HD5750 and stay under €400 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Let's say I'll manage to save up about 500-600 (if you could make it with a budget of 300-400 that would be great :P) euro and wanted to be able to play Fallout 3 and Oblivion and hopefully Batman Arkham Asylum and if at all possible... Just cause 2 :o

Now the trick is that I'm spending only a bit of money so I can upgrade it further to actually play games I want. And... I don't have a credit card or access to one. The best I could probably manage is a laser card.

I'm perfectly fine with just having a crappy desktop for a few weeks while I'll save up about 80 euro per week. The one thing I really want is to be to able to upgrade it to be actually really good.

Two things: I have a monitor and OS already.
    Secondly: how the Hell does a processor work? I mean if I get a dual-core one now can I upgrade it to an i7 eventually without spending several hundred on things (other than the i7).

Oh, Solitaire that wonderful post just above mine, any chance if that can be gotten without a credit card? :D

3rd edit: I have a pc now from about 6 years ago. I was wondering if anything (like the case) can be used for a new pc?

4th feckin' edit: For now I really would like to be able to play Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I'll settle with just that much for the first few weeks.
    I eventually want to get a blue ray drive, hopefully be able to play games with AA on (never managed that, my graphic card was bad :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

WARNING: VIEWERS MAY FIND SOME OF THE IMAGES IN THIS REPORT DISTRESSING

Meant to post this up a while back, but... what happens if you have virtually no money and you want a basic gaming rig?

You probably have an old Windows license lurking around the place (or Ubuntu, WINE and desperation), can recycle or purchase a basic keyboard/mouse for a fiver, use your own headphones and plug it all into your TV (many having DVI or HDMI ports nowadays), but what about the PC itself?

€360 shipped. Those of you with a weak stomach, please avert your gaze... now:

Ugh.png

This thing can manage all your everyday computing tasks with ease and play most games well up to 720p, 720p+ at a squeeze. If you want a better 720p+ experience or play at higher resolutions, you can swap the GT240 for a HD5750 and stay under €400 ;)

A €35 MoBo? I think I'm going to be sick...

Let's say I'll manage to save up about 500-600 (if you could make it with a budget of 300-400 that would be great :P) euro and wanted to be able to play Fallout 3 and Oblivion and hopefully Batman Arkham Asylum and if at all possible... Just cause 2 :o

Now the trick is that I'm spending only a bit of money so I can upgrade it further to actually play games I want. And... I don't have a credit card or access to one. The best I could probably manage is a laser card.

You can use Laser on Pix I think... and Komplett take it at their pick-up point... HWVS use bank transfers so the issue is moot ;)
    I'm perfectly fine with just having a crappy desktop for a few weeks while I'll save up about 80 euro per week. The one thing I really want is to be to able to upgrade it to be actually really good.

A big problem with this is that you'd get hit by shipping charges again... and again... and again... :o Best to spend a good amount on the initial build then upgrade a load of stuff at a time further down them road ;)
    Two things: I have a monitor and OS already.
    Secondly: how the Hell does a processor work? I mean if I get a dual-core one now can I upgrade it to an i7 eventually without spending several hundred on things (other than the i7).

What resolution is the monitor? And why would you need an i7? For gaming you'd be mad to go past an i5 quad and you'd be better off saving the extra ~€80 and buying it straight away rather than saving a little on the i3 then upgrading, which would cost an additional €100 (plus shipping! :p)

On the other hand, most of my builds are AMD-based, as they're perfectly good for gaming on a budget. You couldn't put an LGA1156 i5 quad into an AM3 motherboard though!! :o:p
    Oh, Solitaire that wonderful post just above mine, any chance if that can be gotten without a credit card? :D

Yep, bank transfer instead. The question isn't "could you?" as much as "should you?" :p Those are desperation builds, if you can get a bit more money together you can get a much better system :) With €600 you could get a GTX460 straight off the bat (see previous builds above) if you were willing to compromise on CPU grunt, but even that would be overkill if your monitor res is under 1080p!
    3rd edit: I have a pc now from about 6 years ago. I was wondering if anything (like the case) can be used for a new pc?

Probably nothing at this point. You might be able to use the DVD drive if it has one for a while before getting the BluRay drive once they come down a bit in price :o
    A €35 MoBo? I think I'm going to be sick...

Would you believe, back when the world was young and the DDR2 prices hadn't gone crazy yet the most commonly specced mobo was an MSI 780G-based mATX board which HWVS sold for the princely sum of ~€38? Slap on some DDR2 and a Phenom2 and off you went :D This whole thing of "mobos start at €80" is an unpleasant new phenomenon actually :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Solitare, I suck at quoting so um... I'll repsond this way. :D

That's grand about the money issue.

I understand about the charges but at the moment I just want to be able to play them on low settings and have them play well. I'd rather that since I don't really care much about how pretty they look, though that would be what I aim for eventually.

The monitor is 1024 x 768 but I plan on using the tv for certain games and that can go up to 1920 x 1080 and has a hdmi port so hopefully the motherboard would have one too.

Can't I just buy from Maplin or in store and avoid shipping or would it be more costly than online?
    As for the i7 thing, I didn't really mean that literally I just kind of mean that I buy something that can play games now (or at least in the last few years) on low settings and with good FPS and then upgrade to be able to play them on high settings and so on.

On the other hand, most of my builds are AMD-based, as they're perfectly good for gaming on a budget. You couldn't put an LGA1156 i5 quad into an AM3 motherboard though!!

Have no idea what that means :P
    I honestly just know how to read intel processors and just up to a quad core, i3/i5/i7 is too confusing (never bothered to learn :P) and AMD is just confusing.

I'm not really too bothered about high resolutions with a new monitor at all. I'm fairly happy with 1024 x 768 (though might get a cheap one that can go a bit higher).

I can understand that it's a bit of a desperation build but when your laptop is a single core 2.1GHz and has ATI 3200HD anything looks pretty :P

Thanks for your help though, at least I know I can get some stuff online so that's half the battle.

Oh if I am looking at some things myself, what do I need to get in order? As in the motherboard + PSU + what? I saw some packages in Maplin and it was a motherboard and processor and I think a PSU. Everything is dependant on the type of motherboard (what's compatible and what's not)?

The monitor is 1024 x 768 but I plan on using the tv for certain games and that can go up to 1920 x 1080 and has a hdmi port so hopefully the motherboard would have one too.

That's one hell of a difference! :eek: 1024*768 is failsauce. Even I have a 1280*1024 screen, and that's temporary! Is that HDTV 720p or 1080p though? Makes a big difference in what you need. But even a GT240 should be able to run Just Cause 2 well on a wee 17" screen - although your eyes may be squinting an awful lot! :p On the other hand 1080p requires a fair bit of grunt to drive. Requirements for Fallout and Oblivion are fairly insignificant by modern standards but JC2 and BAA will really need a HD5750 1GB at the very least to run at such a high resolution.
    Can't I just buy from Maplin or in store and avoid shipping or would it be more costly than online?

Nope :o PCWorld and Peats are more expensive than items + shipping and Maplin is ten times worse! :eek:
    As for the i7 thing, I didn't really mean that literally I just kind of mean that I buy something that can play games now (or at least in the last few years) on low settings and with good FPS and then upgrade to be able to play them on high settings and so on.

AMD will soon release Bulldozer; Intel will be releasing Sandy Bridge. Whatever you get now won't have lots of upgrade potential in the long term - getting a next-gen CPU upgrade would also demand a new motherboard to suit :o
    I'm fairly happy with 1024 x 768

You're bonkers :eek:
    I can understand that it's a bit of a desperation build but when your laptop is a single core 2.1GHz and has ATI 3200HD anything looks pretty :P

A basic system you'd find on this thread would generally be fine for 1080p gaming so as long as you're willing to spend €500+ you'll end up with a system leagues better than that poor old lappie! ;)
    Oh if I am looking at some things myself, what do I need to get in order? As in the motherboard + PSU + what? I saw some packages in Maplin and it was a motherboard and processor and I think a PSU. Everything is dependant on the type of motherboard (what's compatible and what's not)?

You'll need at least a CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card, HDD, PSU and a case to throw it in :D DVD/OS/Monitor are being recycled. Add cooling to taste ;)

Here's a sample: €575 shipped from HWVS

HWVS140910.png

€25 left over for a nice CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Plus anyone? :D) or some extra case fans and random stuff :)

Personally I wouldn't bother about BluRay drives unless you get a 1080p monitor or co-opt the HDTV :p If you insist on getting a BluRay right now then you could bring it in around €580 but that would entail dropping the CPU down to the X3-440 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Hi guys :)
    I'm thinking of building a PC for roughly €600, but I'm gonna need a bit of help with the internal HardWare. It'll be mostly for family use but I will use it for some gaming too (mostly VALVe games). The OS and screen are not a problem, but a recommendation on a keyboard/mouse would be good (preferably cheap). Also I need some speakers :)

I would like if the list included:
    This (GPU)
    This (CPU)
    A compatible MoBo (if possible)
    A good (looking) case with;
    -A medium-high efficiency PSU
    -A DVD-R Drive (Any speed)
    -Several USB's, Mic in/headphones out etc
    -And, of course, cooling fans
    Any HDD 500GB+
    4-6GB of RAM

And anything else I might have missed :)
    If anyone can link me to anything better on HWVS than the CPU or GPU I have above, for roughly the same price, it would be hugely appreciated :)

Many thanks in advance,
    Giggsy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Hi guys :)
    I'm thinking of building a PC for roughly €600, but I'm gonna need a bit of help with the internal HardWare. It'll be mostly for family use but I will use it for some gaming too (mostly VALVe games). The OS and screen are not a problem, but a recommendation on a keyboard/mouse would be good (preferably cheap). Also I need some speakers :)

I would like if the list included:
    This (GPU)
    This (CPU)
    A compatible MoBo (if possible)
    A good (looking) case with;
    -A medium-high efficiency PSU
    -A DVD-R Drive (Any speed)
    -Several USB's, Mic in/headphones out etc
    -And, of course, cooling fans
    Any HDD 500GB+
    4-6GB of RAM

And anything else I might have missed :)
    If anyone can link me to anything better on HWVS than the CPU or GPU I have above, for roughly the same price, it would be hugely appreciated :)

Many thanks in advance,
    Giggsy
    I don't understand. With the cpu and gpu(Which i don't think will play games any better than integrated graphics) you've picked, you're looking at around ~300ish for the rest. Way under 600.
    Roughly the breakdown will be:

HDD (1TB): €55
    DVD Drive: €20
    PSU: €45
    RAM: €70
    MoBo: €40-70 (wouldn't spend more than this for what you're looking for)
    Case: €40+ (down to whichever you choose)

That's the bare minimum you need, add in uprated cooling apparatus if you like.

Any particular reason for wanting CPU and GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could get a 5450 for the same price as the 4350. It would be a little bit better but they're both far from powerful.

If you went with Solitaire's above build and swapped in your processor, you'd have enough left for some reasonable speakers/mouse. The 460 is overkill for valve games but its value is unrivaled. However, the more powerful processor would be favourable with that GPU.

Don't get a keyboard from hwv unless you like German layouts.

Monotype wrote: »
    You could get a 5450 for the same price as the 4350. It would be a little bit better but they're both far from powerful.

If you went with Solitaire's above build and swapped in your processor, you'd have enough left for some reasonable speakers/mouse. The 460 is overkill for valve games but its value is unrivaled. However, the more powerful processor would be favourable with that GPU.

Don't get a keyboard from hwv unless you like German layouts.
    I don't understand. With the cpu and gpu(Which i don't think will play games any better than integrated graphics) you've picked, you're looking at around ~300ish for the rest. Way under 600.
    Roughly the breakdown will be:

HDD (1TB): €55
    DVD Drive: €20
    PSU: €45
    RAM: €70
    MoBo: €40-70 (wouldn't spend more than this for what you're looking for)
    Case: €40+ (down to whichever you choose)

That's the bare minimum you need, add in uprated cooling apparatus if you like.

Any particular reason for wanting CPU and GPU?

I don't have any reason for the choice of GPU/CPU, other than they look good. I just want to be able to use it for everyday PC stuff, and I'd like to be able to play TF2/L4D with good graphics :)

Also, I'd like it to be kinda futureproof, so it'll still be up to date in a few years time.

Thanks again,
    Giggsy

That CPU is a tenner more than its siblings for no good reason - it won't give a huge boost over its 3GHz and 3.1GHz relatives! :o

And I don't card if that GPU looks good, it can't even play L4D properly! :eek: Its useless for your needs :o

That CPU is a tenner more than its siblings for no good reason - it won't give a huge boost over its 3GHz and 3.1GHz relatives! :o

And I don't card if that GPU looks good, it can't even play L4D properly! :eek: Its useless for your needs :o

D:
    Okie doke. Taking all this into account, I want a PC that can give me a good, solid FPS in L4D (and Portal 2 :P).
    Also, with this being my first build ever, I need a good considerable amount of help. My budget is €600 for the actual case filled with components. And I need a GPU/MoBo with a HDMI output :)

Giggsy

giggsy664 wrote: »
    D:
    Okie doke. Taking all this into account, I want a PC that can give me a good, solid FPS in L4D (and Portal 2 :P).
    Also, with this being my first build ever, I need a good considerable amount of help. My budget is €600 for the actual case filled with components. And I need a GPU/MoBo with a HDMI output :)

Giggsy

In that case Giggsy you requirements are almost the same as mine. Read from post 512 onwards.

• Advertisement

Well... seeing as you failed to stipulate a DVD drive or shipping costs I'll say "Yes" :pac:

HWVS100910.png

Its not so much a question of "can you?" as "should you?" :o:p

Would the above work with this?

Advertisement