Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Can't bow out on a losing note so I want to finish with a couple of winners. Do them E/W. Carl Schwartzl for the Irish Open and my old pal Lucas Glover to finally come good and win the AT&T on the US Tour.Did them both e/w and a small double as well.I'm a martyr for the cause.Best of luck golf punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Dean Wilson 55
    Matt Kuchar 80
    Briny Baird 32
    Brett Quigley 100
    Robert Gamez 290
    Mark Brooks 1000
    David Duval 500
    Kenny Perry 40
    Jonathan Byrd 32
    Troy Matteson 70

On paper this is an extremely weak looking line up.

The favourites are marked in around 15-20/1 and there are plenty making this a wide open betting contest.

Gone for Brooks as last round he had was a 68 on a real tough course, so gotta to stick to these convictions.....and he''s 1000/1

Duval.....well, if he's ever going to come back, it'll be on this course. 500/1 ... sure why not.

Cink, Crane, Imada, Zack Johnson the horses for this course and likely to perform well ... but too short for my selection policy.

Really dodgy week, but there ya go.

Winner to come from here, I have the two front runners, but Byrd just after throwing away 2 shots from 5 feet, should have had the tournament in the bag.

Looking promising, up to the golfing gods, If Howell and Toms weren't sniffing around, I'd be pretty confident.....but they are:confused:

T1 Jonathan Byrd -12
    T2 Kenny Perry -9

T2 T1 Ryan Palmer -9
    T4 T20 Heath Slocum -7
    T4 T10 Camilo Villegas -7
    T4 T6 Charles Howell IIi -7
    T4 T6 David Toms -7
    T6 Bob Sowards -6
    T9 T20 Zach Johnson -5
    T9 T41 Brian Gay -5
    T9 T20 Chris Kirk -5
    T12 T41 Ryuji Imada -4
    T12 T41 Steve Elkington -4
    112 T12 T76 John Rollins -4
    110 T12 T20 Brian Davis -4
    197 T12 T28 Gavin Coles -4
    76 T12 T41 Matt Kuchar -4
    109 T12 T28 Brett Quigley -4
    142 T12 T57 Jay Williamson -4
    62 T12 T41 Troy Matteson -4
    20 T12 T28 D.J. Trahan -4
    3 T12 T10 Stewart Cink -4
    156 T12 T6 Ted Purdy -4
    63 T12 T10 John Mallinge-4
    246 T12 T10 Bob Heintz -4
    93 T12 T1 Parker McLachlin -4
    167 T12 T10 Craig Kanada -4

bah Humbug, Perry beaten in play off, Byrd 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Culchie wrote: »
    bah Humbug, Perry beaten in play off, Byrd 4th

He got seriously robbed by hitting that tree and kicking back down into the lake. I had 5 euro EW on Rory Mcilroy yesterday .... he finished 7th and EW paid out on top 6, typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Don't know how POD did so bad at the weekend. Best player in the field on a course he goes well at.
    Feel confident this week. Cabrera and Jimenez go well here and Jimenez is currently best price 40/1 with Boyles paying 6 places.

This price won't last as Jimenez' game is in good nick at the moment and his form over the last 4 years here read.

2007 T(ied)5th
    2006 3rd
    2005 56
    2004 T8

See Cabrera is a best priced 25/1 with Celtic Bookmakers. Also paying 6 places. Even with my poor run of form one of these must at worst place....

OK, running pretty good.

2 Winners, and 1 play off loser (robbed I was joint 1st;)) from 4 weekly short list selections.

Man I want to pick Kenny Perry, but he's under 25/1 so no can do.

Colonial is for your solid tee to green player....steady as she goes......and then boom... good putting stats, this will be won on the greens. Mickelson will be hot favourite.
    I've gone for 10 selections rather than normal eight, cos I couldn't decide which one to leave out.

Most of these guys had 3 bloody good rounds last year, or have the required putting and GUI stats. Frazer just got lucky to be picked:pac:

Justin Leonard 36
    Rod Pampling 55
    John Senden 120
    Steve Marino 190
    Harrison Frazer 550
    Jerry Kelly 150
    Steve Flesch 70
    Tom Lehman 230
    Mark Hensby 460
    Mike Weir 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Mmmmmm...good selection policy,i should choose 8 instead of the usual 1 per tournament.More darts you have to throw more chance you'll hit the target!:D

Backing Leonard and Goydos in the Crowne Plaza. Both ew and at 40 and 125/1 respectively. Tidy golfers on a course that requires same.

Seniors Golf this week is worth a look. It's at Oak Hill. PGA was played here a few years ago and Jay Haas and Loren Roberts both went well then. They're 10/1 each so either to win is 9/2. Slight preference for Roberts who went well last week.

Regardless of how I go this week, and having given the selections some consideration I am naturally optimistic, I intend to take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

badbrian wrote: »
    Seniors Golf this week is worth a look. It's at Oak Hill. PGA was played here a few years ago and Jay Haas and Loren Roberts both went well then. They're 10/1 each so either to win is 9/2. Slight preference for Roberts who went well last week.

I'm tempted to go for Langer in this. First bet on the Seniors Tour for me. Put off by the price though. As low as 6/1 in places which is pretty shocking tbh. Think I could only back Woods at that price before start of tournament. However, he does have two tour wins this year and had a good tournament at Sawgrass, think he was ties 16th in the end.

Culchie, do you bet on the European tour at all. MOst of my golf bets would be US too but just fed up with Setanta Golf at this stage. I know it's syndicated from American coverage (CBS or ESPN - can't remember which) but the pictures are way too biased towards the Yanks for my liking. A European would have to hold a five stroke lead to get a look-in. I just like to watch my player and see how he's going. Tend to do top European bets there rather than outright winnersso I rarel get to see coerage of my selected player. Sorry,just a rant rather than anything informative

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    I'm tempted to go for Langer in this. First bet on the Seniors Tour for me. Put off by the price though. As low as 6/1 in places which is pretty shocking tbh. Think I could only back Woods at that price before start of tournament. However, he does have two tour wins this year and had a good tournament at Sawgrass, think he was ties 16th in the end.

Culchie, do you bet on the European tour at all. MOst of my golf bets would be US too but just fed up with Setanta Golf at this stage. I know it's syndicated from American coverage (CBS or ESPN - can't remember which) but the pictures are way too biased towards the Yanks for my liking. A European would have to hold a five stroke lead to get a look-in. I just like to watch my player and see how he's going. Tend to do top European bets there rather than outright winnersso I rarel get to see coerage of my selected player. Sorry,just a rant rather than anything informative

Badbrian - I like the Goydos bet as well.... had to leave someone out, he'll probably bite me in the ass.

Collie D ... No I stick to the US tour .... I guess I like watching me horses run if I get a chance .... I've also built up a fair bit of knowledge as well that comes in handy.

e.g The history from 2007 may show that Joe Bloggs have finished 9th, and shot a 76 on the final round when in contention, but I may have watched it, and a spectator kicked his ball into the lake:) hence his triple bogey on 17 ... so those nuggets of information are priceless. I wouldn't have that from the European Tour.

The commentary often gives you clues as well to a players form (personal problems etc...)

Don't get me wrong, Mrs Culchie would kill me if I try and watch 4 nights of golf, but any chance I get, I flick over when she's making me tea etc.....;)

Mark Brooks is -3 after 9 holes. If you've been following this thread I said to watch out for him, as he is coming out of a decades hibernation, and he's normally 1000/1 on betfair.

The last time he was -3 after 9 holes, I think colour TV was just invented.

If however the dirty sod wins this week, and I haven't backed him, after preaching from the pulpit, I'll make sure he never comes out of hibernation again:mad:

Happy Days. 6 runners. 2 Winners. Jimenez fell over the line after doing his best to blow it. 40/1 ew. And then Haas obliged at 10/1 in the Seniors. There will be a healthy glow to my current account this week!

Hadn't intended to back this week but would hate to think my luck is in and I'd waste it. Just backing 2 runners.
    European Tour. Randhawa has gone well in the Wales Open last 2 years and his game looked in tasty nick last weekend.
    50/1 ew

US PGA. Pampling was close here at the memorial last year and close again last weekend. 66/1 ew

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

badbrian wrote: »
    Hadn't intended to back this week but would hate to think my luck is in and I'd waste it. Just backing 2 runners.
    European Tour. Randhawa has gone well in the Wales Open last 2 years and his game looked in tasty nick last weekend.
    50/1 ew

US PGA. Pampling was close here at the memorial last year and close again last weekend. 66/1 ew

Thinking of having a nibble at Paul Casey and Jim Furyk - what does the great man think ???

Rod Pampling 50
    Carl Pettersson 90
    Chad Campbell 100
    Aaron Baddeley 42
    Luke Donald 40
    Brett Wetterick 180
    Mark Brooks:rolleyes: 950
    Jesper Parnevik 270
    Charles Howell 110
    Sean O Hair 44

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Culchie wrote: »
    Rod Pampling 50
    Carl Pettersson 90
    Chad Campbell 100
    Aaron Baddeley 42
    Luke Donald 40
    Brett Wetterick 180
    Mark Brooks:rolleyes: 950
    Jesper Parnevik 270
    Charles Howell 110
    Sean O Hair 44

Jesper Parnevik probably best choice outta them

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesper Parnevik probably best choice outta them

Dunno, I ain't that precise about it. I make a shortlist.

Last 5 tournaments, I've 2 wins, 1 play off loser and 2 2nd places.

I think they'll all got a chance, at decent prices.

Rod Pampling
    Carl Pettersson
    Luke Donald

Still in the running at the half way stage.

According to the players, Colonial is playing as tough as Augusta on a tough day.

With this is mind, winner can't come from to far back, winning score will be in the -6 to -9 group, present leader at -7 after two rounds.

I'm liking Luke Donalds chances from here .....and watch out for Silver Fox Fred Couples....he loves Augusta....has he the legs for the 4 rounds though?
    Mike Weir normally puts in a good weekend at the Masters, and two 69's will put him right in the mixer as well.

Put a few quid on Justin Rose for the British Open !

T1 1 Mathew Goggin FC SC P S H E F -7 65 72 -- -- 137
    19 T1 T2 Kenny Perry FC SC P S H -1 F * -7 66 71 -- -- 137
    48 3 T2 Jerry Kelly FC SC P S H E F -6 66 72 -- -- 138
    27 4 T6 Luke Donald FC SC P S H -1 F -5 68 71 -- -- 139
    86 T5 T14 Nick O'Hern FC SC P S H -2 F -4 70 70 -- -- 140
    55 T5 T6 Matt Kuchar FC SC P S H E F * -4 68 72 -- -- 140
    31 T5 T14 Steve Lowery FC SC P S H -2 F -4 70 70 -- -- 140
    5 T5 T11 Geoff Ogilvy FC SC P S H -1 F * -4 69 71 -- -- 140
    36 T9 T4 Rod Pampling FC SC P S H 2 F * -3 67 74 -- -- 141
    121 T9 T6 Justin Rose FC SC P S H 1 F -3 68 73 -- -- 141

59 T11 T36 Jason Bohn FC SC P S H -1 F -1 72 71 -- -- 143
    178 T11 T14 Rocco Mediate FC SC P S H 1 F -1 70 73 -- -- 143
    60 T11 T36 Fred Couples FC SC P S H -1 F -1 72 71 -- -- 143
    67 T11 T6 Carl Pettersson FC SC P S H 3 F * -1 68 75 -- -- 143
    42 T11 T14 Pat Perez FC SC P S H 1 F -1 70 73 -- -- 143
    71 T11 T20 Mike Weir FC SC P S H E F -1 71 72 -- -- 143
    11 T11 T60 J.B. Holmes FC SC P S H -3 F * -1 74 69 -- -- 143
    46 T18 T47 Ryan Moore FC SC P S H -1 F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnnywishbone

Culchie? Do you back your selections e/w?

• Advertisement

Culchie? Do you back your selections e/w?

Nah, e/w is for wimps;)

I'll get me coat!

Hey Culchie, are you going to back anything in the Stanford St. Jude or the Bank Austria Open ??

Hey Culchie, are you going to back anything in the Stanford St. Jude or the Bank Austria Open ??

Patience little grasshopper

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Great thread just stumbled onto it:

Follow the golf quite a bit especially minority tours, ladies, senior etc,

Just a tip at a big price..

Catriona Matthew 125/1 at William Hill for the McDonalds Lpga this weekend.

May be worth a small each way investment.

Howell for me in Austria 30/1 with Boyles. He's normally playing the US Open this time of year but was shocking last year and tumbled down the rankings. Seems to be coming back to a bit of his old self and any resemblance of that should see him go close.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Also Maria Hjorth 150/1 with Totesport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

hard to judge on the two upcoming tourneys but for what its worth I have gone for

David Howell - Austria

Freddy Jacobson - St. Jude

With such large fields e/w makes sense - suggest also review after 1st round scores.

Little Grasshopper jumps in feet first! :) My selections

Howell & Lafeber - Austria

Gay, Heron, Kresge & Leonard - Stanford

Matthew & Hjorth - Maccas Ladies

• Advertisement

This is why I love golf betting .... the favourite VJ is 18/1 !!!

Straight Hitters, good Greens in Regulation Stats ... looking for a hot putter.

Feel good about this week, the winner is below.:pac:

David Toms 19 .... I'm breaking my >25 rule for this one......dammit, no I'm not

Brandt Snedeker 55
    Justin Leonard 30
    Steve Lowery 60
    Heath Slocum 28
    Scott Verplank 95
    Bob Estes 160
    Mark Brooks (I ain't giving in:o) 660 ....check out his driving % stats!
    Robert Allenby 28
    Charles Howell III 65
    Now Vaughn Taylor or Tim Herron ? Herrons extra 10 points wins it @110 ... some course form as well.

Advertisement