Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Death Cab For Cutie Single - GLORIOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Xavi6..

I HATE YOU!

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

:D Well it's part of their world tour apparently so I presume that would include Ireland at some point.

EDIT: Scratch that, just checked their website and they're only playing four UK dates. Ah well, I'll think of you while I'm there! :p

Was sure they'd announce they were playing at one of our Summer festivals at some stage.. but a nice small gig in Vicar Street would suit me down to the ground! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I have strong feelings for every song on this album apart from Talking Bird.

My favourites are the chill-out tracks; IWPYH, Twin Sized Bed, Grapevine Fires.

Gotta get more Death Cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Unbelievably good song!

"Gotta spend some time,love.
    Gotta spend some time, with me.
    And i know that you'll find, love.
    I will possess your heart."

I love those lyrics. I dont know many of their other songs. Are there many more as good as this?? To be honest im put off by them being such a big influence on Slow patrol

They were an influence on Snow Patrol? Where'd you learn that?

There is many more as good as that... Ben Gibbard is one of best songwriters out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Yip they are. My mates a big fan, he says Gary posted a blog about it.

Hmmm? I'll have to check them out more thoroughly then so thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Transatlanticism is a good album to start off on IMO.

cautioner wrote: »
    Transatlanticism is a good album to start off on IMO.
    Agreed.. probably their best (in my opinion anyways)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Admittedly I haven't listened to these lads that much to pass judgment but is anyone else turned off by the lead singer's voice?

Boo-yah wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't listened to these lads that much to pass judgment but is anyone else turned off by the lead singer's voice?
    Quiet you.. his voice is like nectar!

Granted - you really can't say that phrase without sounding like a blatant homosexual. :D

basquille wrote: »
    Quiet you.. his voice is like nectar!

Granted - you really can't say that phrase without sounding like a blatant homosexual. :D

If nectar is nasally and grating! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Boo-yah wrote: »
    If nectar is nasally and grating! :D

If you don't like his voice, don't listen to them. Simple.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kid V wrote: »
    Yip they are. My mates a big fan, he says Gary posted a blog about it.

Hmmm? I'll have to check them out more thoroughly then so thanks.

I don't care what your mate said and 'Gary' may have posted a blog saying he liked them but i can not see or hear any song remotely influenced or sounding like Death Cab.

lordgoat wrote: »
    If you don't like his voice, don't listen to them. Simple.

And I don't. I was just wondering if anyone who likes the band found his voice a bit irritating. Its possible to enjoy a band without being a fan of the lead singer's voice (Smashing Pumpkins in my case)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

'Course you can love a song/band without liking the lead singer's voice. I find this the case with DCFC. In fact, I just wrote a post about 'I Will Possess Your Heart' on thishereboogie.com and said the exact same thing about this guy's voice. That said, the build-up to this song is absolutely magnificent. The video is very cool as well.

markesmith wrote: »
    'Course you can love a song/band without liking the lead singer's voice. I find this the case with DCFC.

Exactly what I mean, just wondering if anyone shared the same view :o

So got to see them last night and it was feckin quality. Really, really good show. They're far more 'rockier' live than I thought and the stuff off the new album is quite impressive live.

Got me a great video of 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark' and it was definitely the highlight -

Also got vids of 'Soul Meets Body' (Amazing!) and 'Transatlanticism' (which closed the show) but the bass was so loud it fecked up the audio a lot.

Some pics -

66107211a8700728877o.jpg

66107211a8700729508o.jpg

66107211a8700728591o.jpg

Well worth the $75 taxi home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Sweet pics man. I'm liking Gibbard's new Neil Young look, in fact the whole band are looking a lot less bookish these days, fair play to them for putting in a bit of an effort :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Careful mentioning the gig, chaps.... its being promoted by you-know-who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Posts have been deleted. Seriously guys, it's been two years (practically to the day, funnily enough) since this was introduced: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978392.

Please just think before you mention a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I travelled over to Amsterdam a few years ago to see them play. Awesome awesome gig. As you said much more rockier live than you expect. Well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Has anyone else heard The Open Door EP? It's great. You can listen to it here:

http://stereogum.com/archives/new-death-cab-for-cutie-i-was-once-a-loyal-lover-s_060951.html

Ben Gibbard's engaged to Zooey Deschanel? Lucky sonofabitch! :eek:

The Open Door EP is pretty damn good alright.

No, Death Cab, no!
    Death Cab For Cutie have reportedly spoken about their upcoming contribution to the soundtrack for the Twilight sequel.

'Meet Me On The Equinox' has been chosen as the lead single for New Moon's score, which is due to accompany the film's release in November.

In an interview with MTV, the band's bassist Nick Harmer revealed that the group had "no idea" the song would prove so popular with producers.

"It's been an exciting process, because we've been so removed from it," he explained.

"We were in LA for a week and we went into the studio and wrote and recorded the song and submitted it. We didn't know where anything stood, and then we just got a call last week, like, 'Guess what - your song has been chosen as the first single'."

Harmer added that it was a coincidence that the band's lyrical influences suited the vampire picture, which stars Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

"Basically the Twilight series is about love, and that's a major theme for us," he said. "So, it wasn't difficult for us at all."
    God, I hate those films and anything associated with them.

Might mean more exposure for DCFC I suppose.. first performance of it will be live at the MTV Video Awards next month.

Lads.. it's worse than we imagined! :eek:

No.. no.. no!

It's a far cry from one of the last memories I have of the band.. the outstanding performance of 'Transatlanticism' at The Ambassador last year! :(

For those who weren't at it... enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i love death cab, 'a movie script ending' is just amazing. i didnt go to the show last year and i am still regretting it. any idea when they will be back?

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i love death cab, 'a movie script ending' is just amazing. i didnt go to the show last year and i am still regretting it. any idea when they will be back?
    I imagine they'll be going into a studio to record a follow up to 'Narrow Stairs' after their current tour.

Can't see them visiting Europe.. or particularly Dublin.. again before they release another album.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

ah crap. it gets worse, i missed them at oxegen 2006 as well.:(