Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Death Cab For Cutie Single - GLORIOUS!

Options
  • 15-04-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭

I must say I love it... though not everyone will!

It's certainly very different from anything on 'Plans' - has a much rawer sound - from the bassline, to the the build-up and the climax. Roll on 'Narrow Stairs' on May 16th.

Oh, and there's two versions. One's the full album version (8 and a half minutes) and the other is a radio edit (4 and a half minutes).

8 and a half minute version:

4 and a half minute version:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Out-f'ing-standing... love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A man of good taste.. on constant repeat right now on my iTunes and Creative Zen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i posted this about a month ago and no one listened to me :( although it was just the song.

it's fupping excellent.

*edit* just listened to the radio edit, and man they needed the singing to come in much later imo.

Sorry Cremo.. must have completely missed it as was unaware of the song until last night.

Agree about the radio edit.. the 8 and a half minute has that build-up which is stupendous!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cremo wrote: »
    i posted this about a month ago and no one listened to me :( although it was just the song.

it's fupping excellent.

*edit* just listened to the radio edit, and man they needed the singing to come in much later imo.

Did i not comment on it, i've been listening to is since then, it's class alright and i agree the radio edit is too short!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm going to be the first to say...I don't like it! that ridiculously long intro just starts boring a hole through my head, especially the bassline...god I hate that bassline! For me it doesn't really go anywhere and once the singing eventually arrives, the verse doesn't really seem strong enough to justify the very drawn-out intro.

I'm not a huge Death Cab fan, although there are about 5/6 songs of theirs that I do quite like. Think I'll stick to my preferece of Postal Service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Loving this. The intro reminds me of Spiders if played on bass which isn't a bad thing at all. Massive step up from Plans as well. It is a little anticlimactic though, poor lyrics

basquille wrote: »
    Sorry Cremo.. must have completely missed it as was unaware of the song until last night.

Agree about the radio edit.. the 8 and a half minute has that build-up which is stupendous!

lol don't worry about it, your post has videos.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Did i not comment on it, i've been listening to is since then, it's class alright and i agree the radio edit is too short!!

ya did :D

i think the radio edit needed just about another 30 seconds of the bass riff, as the structure would be slightly better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I agree with PeadarofAodh somewhat. The song doesn't really have a climax that you'd expect from the long buildup. It didn't put me off however, I think theres too many songs these days with this formula (alot from Death Cab as well).

I never really liked Plans too much. Loved everything up until that album, but the sound of it made me think they were going in the same direction as Coldplay, toward the very mediocre. While this song continues in mostly the same vein its not quite what I expected for the next album. From first listen I like it and it gives me hope for the future.

Edit : New album seems to be "out" btw. For those that are that way inclined.

Trust me, it's not! ;)

• Advertisement

Trust me, it's not! ;)
    Do you know something I don't?

Seems pretty out to me.

Seems pretty out to me.
    Read all about it here here!

Velveteen MySpace

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Haha! That'll show them!

Meh! There is no outstanding melody like everything on Plans. It's a bit half-baked and could have done with a better progression and climax.
    That said, it's not bad, and I'd hope that it's not the best song on the album. But there are a few nice ideas there which may be the case for the rest of the album. *Crosses fingers*

Heh. Its pretty convincing. After another listen its definatly not Ben Gibbard though.

Sigh

/wait

My shame is in my lastfm update in my sig :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I do! It hasn't been leaked yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Love the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmmm gonna need a few more listens I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I love it Bas, its class!!

Ray D'Arcy seems to be the only DJ giving it some airplay.. it's been played at least twice in the last 2 or 3 days (it's on as I type this).

Ray D'Arcy seems to be the only DJ giving it some airplay.. it's been played at least twice in the last 2 or 3 days (it's on as I type this).
    it was played last week on east coast radio of all places, although they edited the radio edit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

[COUGH] Full version played several times on Phantom. Great tune too. [/COUGH]

Simon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It's a cool song alright. Looking forward to the rest of the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Irish release date is next Friday 9th May btw. Think there's been a few dates floating around.

Now it ACTUALLY is! ;)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

only after discovering these guys in the last month. :o got transatlanticism on a recommendation. loving it. if people were to recommend just one other album by them, it would be............

whiterob81 wrote: »
    got transatlanticism on a recommendation. loving it. if people were to recommend just one other album by them, it would be............
    Probably 'Plans'.. but 'Transatlanticism' is probably their best.

A lot of their older stuff is very different (and somewhat more difficult to warm to) but for older stuff, try 'The Photo Album' and 'You Can Play These Songs With Chords'

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Yeah I'd definately recommend Plans aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

great, plans is it is so! gonna pick that up tomorrow if i can. thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

no definitely go for transatlantacism, much more quality tunes than plans! transatlantacism is one of my fav albums of all time. solid.

• Advertisement

no definitely go for transatlantacism, much more quality tunes than plans! transatlantacism is one of my fav albums of all time. solid.
    he/she already has got transalantacism.

Advertisement