Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Death Cab For Cutie Single - GLORIOUS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Heard the new album today. Some amazing tracks on it, some not so much. The opening track is so good.

PM me if you also want to hear it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How pissed was I that I was heading away for a weekend and only noticed my Zen wouldn't play the format the album was ripped in! :(

Just started listening now and Bixby Canyon Bridge is amazing!

Will be back with full opinions later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Meh to Plans tbh. Found it very boring.

Photo Album ftw.

It's definitely all about We Have the Facts... and Transatlanticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I haven't listened to their earlier stuff but Narrow Stairs sounds pretty good. Particurly like No Sunlight and Long Division.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    I haven't listened to their earlier stuff but Narrow Stairs sounds pretty good. Particurly like No Sunlight and Long Division.
    Gave it a listen while playing GTA IV.

Was a bit distracted while listening - but 'No Sunlight' is a blinding little track alright.. as is 'Bixby Canyon Bridge' (probably my favourite on the album).

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Should be a deadly album, what I've heard so far is all deadly stuff.
    Roll on Friday :)

The song Pity and Fear sounds awesome but the version I have must be faulty. It cuts out fater 4:20 :/

Supposedly it's meant to end like that.

I think it sounds ****.

ianthefox wrote: »
    Supposedly it's meant to end like that.

I think it sounds ****.
    I'd be gutted if it did end like that. The song has such potential. Everytime I listen to it and get cut off I feel ill.

• Advertisement

Wasn't too fond of the new album at first to be honest.. but it definitely grows on you with repeated listens.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bixby, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The album is fairly average

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Wow... IWPYH is amazing, but the record is a TOTAL let-down. I'd foolishly gotten my hopes up on the basis of the single and all the hype spearheaded by that MTV article*, but all this talk of it being their edgiest and rawest offering yet has turned out to be bollocks - as one of my buddies said earlier, aside from IWPYH it sounds like a bunch of b-sides. Not the dark, spaced out departure from their usual sound that I was expecting.

* There's something really fishy about that re-reading it now actually, as in after listening to the record it reads like it's just part of Atlantic's promo budget - the premise of the article is that it's some dude who's always hated the band but has been converted by this record because "none of it sounds like anything DCFC have ever done". That's bollocks unless you've just heard Plans and nothing else.

"After hearing Narrow Stairs earlier this week, it turns out that everything I had known about Death Cab was wrong. They are actually a really great band, and Stairs is unquestionably the best thing they've ever done." - F*ck sake.

This is the article I'm talking about by the way.

Rolling Stone also gave it 4 / 5 (the best rating they have given a Death Cab album).

Rolling stone review here!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just gave it a first listen there and I actually quite like it. It's definitely listenable. Needs a bit more of an airing though before I can give it a fair critique.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just gave it a first listen there and I actually quite like it. It's definitely listenable. Needs a bit more of an airing though before I can give it a fair critique.

I'm with Xavi on this one.

And i'm also glad it#s different to previous albums, i am always glad to see bands try something new. I hate safe albums.

Bixby is ****ing amazing.

Right after giving it a good ten listens or so I still really like it. In fact I'd say it's bloody excellent. A definite 8 out of 10 for me and that could rise to a 9 shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

A couple of more listens. Its fine, there is nothing wrong with it. A couple of good tracks, but for the most part its forgettable and mediocre.

I'd rather listen to Spoon really. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

I think it's a great album, the likes of Grapevine.
    Cath... is my favourite though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Orizio wrote: »
    A couple of more listens. Its fine, there is nothing wrong with it. A couple of good tracks, but for the most part its forgettable and mediocre.

I'd rather listen to Spoon really. ;)

I agree. I thought it was great at first but now it just seems very very bland and kind of forced if anything. IWPYH is starting to grate on me. 4 minutes is too long for no climax. Bixby bridge really isn't that good. It's certainly no Gagaga

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a couple of listens to this now and really like it so far. Not as inconsistent as Plans (although still a few lulls in the middle) and a lot of really strong songs - first two especially (I even find myself humming that damn bassline).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Mr.S wrote: »
    am i the only one who doesnt like the track? its just so bland for deathcab =/
    Seconded. Not a patch on anything from Plans or Transatlanticism, or even Something About Airplanes for that matter. Really poor.

Haven't heard the rest of the album tho so I'll reserve judgement on that score...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Album has just gone No.1 in both the U.S. and Canada. Fair play the lads!

Fair play to the lads indeed.

Album has really warmed on me.. the only real weak song on it is 'Talking Bird' in my honest opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

basquille wrote: »
    Fair play to the lads indeed.

Album has really warmed on me.. the only real weak song on it is 'Talking Bird' in my honest opinion.

I'd say I really like around half the album - Bixby, IWPYH, No Sunlight, Grapevine and Long Division -, could take or leave some - Cath..., Pity and Fear - and dislike one or two - again, probably Talking Bird. After a few listens, I think it gains the same reaction from me as Plans (despite earlier listenings being more favourable): some fantastic songs, and other mediocre ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

getting the album on the basis of this song, I wouldnt be a big Death Cab fan , but
    i like that you can listen to this song and drift away, all music shouldn't be in-your-face-look-at-me-this-song-is-so-feckin-cool all the time!
    ( although ya gotta rock n roll every now and then too :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

lads
    i dont think you guys realise how happy you have made me feel right now
    i heard this on the radio LAST WEEK in a shop and i thought i'd rememeber the name when the dj said it but i odviously didnt
    So i went lookin for it and none of you's knew what i meant in that big topic about finding songs and ****
    then i accidently enter here and BAM

maaaaan .. this song is ****ing amazing it really is

its just so EPIC

i love the OP i love you guys and i love the world

can u tell how happy i am : D

thanks all

• Advertisement

Just got my ticket to go see Death Cab here in Perth in August!!!! Woohoo!!!! Can't feckin wait.

Advertisement