Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus US Seat Sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

On the site it says travel until 31 May when I click US summer sale. Am I missing something?

Although I did notice my outgoing flight in August is down about €20

you bollix, i thought that there was a bug on my screen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MixedMuts

lol

I hope these peasants aren't next to me when I am flying over.

What ho Bill, I agree there's nothing that puts me more off my Pimms than the stinking cloven feet of passengers in the hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Is there no steerage class on these planes?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

basquille wrote: »
    According to someone on the radio this morning, payment was taken on some credit cards (and subsequently refunded).

If that was the case, the contract was completed. And then revoked,

Thats the first I heard of CC being charged. If thats the case they should be done for it

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

I find this absolutely nuts and I'm shocked at the NCA as well. It's a syptom of the compo culture etc that's growing here and people demanding their 'rights' on this, that and the other.

This was the most obvious mistake/misprice I've ever come across in years of online bargain hunting. It's obvious from the first posts on it on this thread, it's obvious from the fact that people here and on the radio are saying things like me and my 34 cousins and neighbours all got it - why? because one of you saw it and rang the others shouting about the big mistake and get in quick etc.

This is not a trolling message - it's a genuine opinion. I am sick of hearing people go on about how they have a right to this. I see it as no different to seeing a shop keeper forget to lock his premises and walking in and taking things off the shelf, or knowing that a sales assistant has given you too much change and putting it in your pocket without saying a word. With online pricing by all means take advantage of a bargain that's there, don't assume it's a mistake and walk away, take your chances, but when you know it was a mistake and the company realises and EITHER gives you your money back or doesn't take it in the first place - do the honest thing, hold on to your integrity and just say fair enough and go on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

AL are a different company now. They should have really honoured the flights from the start. Even if it cost them a few quid it would have actually made them look like an honourable company for a change!

A missed oppurtunity for some good PR. Tut tut, greedy muppets not looking long term if you ask me.

Best of luck to everybody who got one - hope they come around in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Stealdo wrote: »
    This is not a trolling message - it's a genuine opinion. I am sick of hearing people go on about how they have a right to this. I see it as no different to seeing a shop keeper forget to lock his premises and walking in and taking things off the shelf, or knowing that a sales assistant has given you too much change and putting it in your pocket without saying a word. With online pricing by all means take advantage of a bargain that's there, don't assume it's a mistake and walk away, take your chances, but when you know it was a mistake and the company realises and EITHER gives you your money back or doesn't take it in the first place - do the honest thing, hold on to your integrity and just say fair enough and go on your way.

I'm guessing you missed this bargain then? ;)

Aer Lingus went beyond the invitation to treat point with at least some of these punters - and into contract territory. It's nothing like thieving from an unlocked shop or pocketing extra change - neither of those instances is a purchase contract.

Aer Lingus are on shakey ground. We have no difficulty with the airline sticking to the letter of contracts when its to their benefit (overbooking, re-scheduling, additional charges for fuel, sports equipment, etc). The same should apply when its to their detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats the first I heard of CC being charged. If thats the case they should be done for it

the cards were not charged at any stage from what the woman on the radio said, there was a hold placed on the funds. whether that constitutes the completion of the contract or not is debatable.

either way imho people giving out about this are just looking for free crap from AL as they dont deserve anything! as said by someone else here earlier if it works out great deal if not no loss, how could people have actually thought it was a real deal at that price.

also that woman on joe duffy this afternoon was full of crap apparently she got her hotels, babysitters, time off work organised all this morning and none of these can be changed. c'mon, really people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

this would be a bad precedent for AL to set if they offer anything

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

slave1 wrote: »
    this would be a bad precedent for AL to set if they offer anything

I think it will just make them be more careful in the future.

A company can't just set prices without checking them properly and thinking "ah, sure if there is a problem we'll just cancel the sale".

Do the decent thing AL - offer the 100 or so standard return fares for the price they paid.

I bet Ryanair could put a positive marketing spin on this if it happened to them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

JDxtra wrote: »
    Do the decent thing AL - offer the 100 or so standard return fares for the price they paid.

I bet Ryanair could put a positive marketing spin on this if it happened to them...

Not a chance Ryanair would give in. They went to the High Court in order to try and stop their one millionth customer from continuing to use the "Free Flights for Life" that she won. Beyond that one only need examine the lengths Ryanair went to, again through the courts, in an attempt to stop disabled passengers receiving their full rights of access on their aircraft.

Ryanair will be great at making a gimmick out of what happened to Aer Lingus. In fact they'll probably even offer these people 1c flights to Stansted. However, would Ryanair cave in as you suggest Aer Lingus should? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its a binding contract that aer lingus initially said they would honour but later said screw that, they are not getting that off our backs. they should offer everyone the economy 5 euro seats, the 100 or so people will be delighted to get that much and no more is said. otherwise, those 100 people will be complaining, taking cases to small claims court etc. the few grand aer lingus are saving isnt worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

gucci wrote: »
    you bollix, i thought that there was a bug on my screen :D

;):D

I have noticed it now says fly till June 30th. How did some get cheap August flights?
    (I'm not referring to the €5 ones that this topic has turned into)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Call_me_al wrote: »
    , how could people have actually thought it was a real deal at that price.

As posted in another thread

Google Earth estimated mileage:

Dublin to Paris 485 miles
    Dublin to New York 3180 miles

How often have we seen 1c flights to Paris with Ryanair and Aer Lingus!! You can do the rest of the maths.

also that woman on joe duffy this afternoon was full of crap apparently she got her hotels, babysitters, time off work organised all this morning and none of these can be changed. c'mon, really people.

As soon as I recevied the confirmation email I had booked time off work and the person travelling with me who works freelance cancelled a series of bookings made for the travel period. We like to give as much notice as possible. What's so unrealistic about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JimmyO wrote: »
    As posted in another thread

Google Earth estimated mileage:

Dublin to Paris 485 miles
    Dublin to New York 3180 miles

How often have we seen 1c flights to Paris with Ryanair and Aer Lingus!! You can do the rest of the maths.

As soon as I recevied the confirmation email I had booked time off work and the person travelling with me who works freelance cancelled a series of bookings made for the travel period. We like to give as much notice as possible. What's so unrealistic about that?
    To be perfectly honest and I don't think i'm being unrealistic here.. did you not at least suspect it might be a misprice (and wouldn't be honoured)?

Personally, I know if I was in the same situation and the price was dubious (to say the least), I'd be apprehensive about making arrangements for that period until I was sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

basquille wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest and I don't think i'm being unrealistic here.. did you not at least suspect it might be a misprice (and wouldn't be honoured)?

Personally, I know if I was in the same situation and the price was dubious (to say the least), I'd be apprehensive about making arrangements for that period until I was sure.

Potato / Tomato

Seemed reasonable and far from dubious to me (as above). Didn't know about the business class malarky till the flights were 'cancelled'.

Apart from the disgruntled passengers, this can set ECommerce Precedents for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It's about 100 seats that were bought at the cheap rate. If AL had said "We made a mistake, we'll give you an economy seat at that price", most people would accept it. Total cost about €20,000 based on €200 for an economy fare. How much has this cost them in bad PR, legal costs, etc?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Differening viewpoints I suppose, like everything. I just see not the compo culture, but the lack of any backbone in this country to stand up and take responsibilty for your mistakes. Its all pervasive, from the top down.

You make a mistake, it costs you money, you don't do it again. Aer Lingus are quick to point out that once you press the confirm button, mistake or not, you can't go back. They can't have it both ways, because that is exactly what they want to do. If they pursue this course, I'll go after them for a reduction in my flights to Orlando which they have dropped by E200 each on the return leg, as I made a "mistake".

This should really be taken to the limit, otherwise its open season on buyers, and retails will be able to do what they like, citing mistake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

seagull wrote: »
    It's about 100 seats that were bought at the cheap rate. If AL had said "We made a mistake, we'll give you an economy seat at that price", most people would accept it. Total cost about €20,000 based on €200 for an economy fare. How much has this cost them in bad PR, legal costs, etc?
    Up to 300 now, I hear yesterday. This will be like the Munster Miracle match where 100,000 people saw the game - in a stadium that held 12,000:D

whiterebel wrote: »
    Up to 300 now, I hear yesterday. This will be like the Munster Miracle match where 100,000 people saw the game - in a stadium that held 12,000:D

is that not according to joe duffy though? i wouldn't trust anyone that rings in or listens to his program (i was in a taxi at the time :D)?

also it's been said on this thread and on the show yesterday 'i'm a professional so i know what i am talking about', wtf does that mean? so you have a job? congrats but how does that differentiate you from anyone else that got the flights? considering one of the women on said she reviewed the contract AND she was a professional, even though Joe had previously said she was an only an accountant and not the legal expert she was trying to pass herself off as.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    A couple of family members had these tickets including my sister in law and 15 of her colleagues. They are all professionals and were delighted to get the cheap seats. They will not go quietly i guarantee you that.

The louder of the seat grabbers are planning to ring into Liveline (where else hey?) to get their views on air.

sorry for the rant again but these people are just trying to extort the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

sorry for the rant again but these people are just trying to extort the company.

No, they are trying to enforce their contractual rights as they are entitled to, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

RTE say Aer Lingus have climbed down. Seats being offered to customers, but not business class seats. Being offered economy seats at price paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

avantarklu wrote: »
    No, they are trying to enforce their contractual rights as they are entitled to, big difference.

The big difference between your opinion on this and the opposing opinions (including mine) is that I am basing it on what is right and wrong not what is someone's legal right or so called entitlement. No one has a moral right to make a profit out of someone else's genuine mistake regardless of whether there are laws there. What makes this most galling to me is that these people are attempting to exploit laws that were put in place to protect consumers with genuine cases and uphold fairness. This belittles consumer law as well as those involved. And all so that they can have their little bargain. They may be within their legal rights, they may not be, but in my mind their no better than someone climbing in the window of a bus after it has crashed hoping for compensation. It's not the legalities of it that make it that way, it's the morals of it. They're the ones that will have to live with that, and I don't think it bothers them so good luck to them. I have to say seeing those three women in the Indo today with their confirmation letters and sad little faces made me pity them that this is something they think is worth pursuing and right to pursue. No better than what Pat Kenny tried to do.

Again as I said not a legal argument, a moral one. When did we get to the point where "Right and Wrong" became "My Rights and wrong"?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BREAKING NEWS:

Aer Lingus has apologised, and confirmed they'll rebook and honour the flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The big difference between your opinion on this and the opposing opinions (including mine) is that I am basing it on what is right and wrong not what is someone's legal right or so called entitlement. No one has a moral right to make a profit out of someone else's genuine mistake regardless of whether there are laws there. What makes this most galling to me is that these people are attempting to exploit laws that were put in place to protect consumers with genuine cases and uphold fairness. This belittles consumer law as well as those involved. And all so that they can have their little bargain. They may be within their legal rights, they may not be, but in my mind their no better than someone climbing in the window of a bus after it has crashed hoping for compensation. It's not the legalities of it that make it that way, it's the morals of it. They're the ones that will have to live with that, and I don't think it bothers them so good luck to them. I have to say seeing those three women in the Indo today with their confirmation letters and sad little faces made me pity them that this is something they think is worth pursuing and right to pursue. No better than what Pat Kenny tried to do.
    Again as I said not a legal argument, a moral one. When did we get to the point where "Right and Wrong" became "My Rights and wrong"?

theres a new argument!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0418/aerlingus.html
    Aer Lingus is to offer economy class seats to all customers who booked €5 flights to the US.

I'd take economy for a fiver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No one has a moral right to make a profit out of someone else's genuine mistake regardless of whether there are laws there.

Aer Lingus are only too happy to make a profit out of their customer's genuine mistakes (name typo changes etc.). What's good for the goose...

exactly these are the people who if they got short changed would go back and complain to a shop but if they were undercharged wouldnt say a word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

Aer Lingus to honour €5 bookings to US
    Friday, 18 April 2008 12:56
    Aer Lingus is to offer economy class seats to all customers who booked €5 flights to the US.

The airline blamed a technical fault for Wednesday's error, which saw up to 300 people book business class flights to the US for €5.

Aer Lingus said yesterday it would not compensate customers, only stating that no funds would be deducted from their accounts.

AdvertisementHowever the airline now says it believes that some customers genuinely believed that they were making a booking in economy class.

It is currently contacting passengers that have been affected in order to rebook their travel arrangements.

Aer Lingus says it accepts that its customers were upset and inconvenienced by the error and apologises unreservedly.

The glitch affected customers between 7.30am and 9am on Wednesday, when promotional fares on its transatlantic route were loaded onto the website accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

aye, said she hadnt got a holiday in 3 years and that could get a baby sitter at no other time of the year

load of shíté

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement