Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Hey folks,

Anyone have any info on doing an MA in TESOL or something similar by distance learning? I'll be heading to S.E. Asia to teach soon but I'm trying to find some info to get an MA that'll improve my job opportunities / income over the next few years.

So far I've been looking at this course, looks pretty good and from a reputable institution:

MA TESOL

Any other insights or ideas? Also, any movement on getting the TEFL/ELT sub forum setup???

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seandooleyking

Hi guys, I'm 18 year old student and in the middle of doing my TEFL course.
    Basically I plan to have it done by March, and I want to move to China in the Summer to teach English. I study Chinese in college.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me what I must do to get a job or direct me to some recruitment agencies they've found helpful.
    Also, if anyone had any tips it would be great. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Hi guys, I'm 18 year old student and in the middle of doing my TEFL course.

Which course in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I'm seriously considering doing a CELTA course and I am looking at the International House and The English Academy. I'm more swayed by the latter at the moment and was wondering if anyone has completed a CELTA course there? If so, would you recommend it?
    Also would anyone be able to tell me if I completed the CELTA course at either college could I apply for English teaching jobs here?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hi! I have just booked my CELT course in the Dublin School of English for July. Has anybody done it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

wondering if anyone can help us, i'm looking to do a part time celta course hoping to start in the summer.

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Anyone have any info on doing an MA in TESOL or something similar by distance learning? I'll be heading to S.E. Asia to teach soon but I'm trying to find some info to get an MA that'll improve my job opportunities / income over the next few years.

So far I've been looking at this course, looks pretty good and from a reputable institution:

MA TESOL

Any other insights or ideas? Also, any movement on getting the TEFL/ELT sub forum setup???

Cheers :D

How many years have you been teaching English and where abouts? I really think an MA TESOL would only be useful in the Middle-East.

As for the sub-forum, I requested it a year ago and even with alot of support, it got denied. Really stupid.. It would be a great place to share ideas and tips. You can't really start a thread in "Teaching and Lecturing" asking the best way to teach 2nd Conditional to an English Learner.. Most people are just subbed to a couple of these TEFL threads and don't even see new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

How many years have you been teaching English and where abouts? I really think an MA TESOL would only be useful in the Middle-East.

As for the sub-forum, I requested it a year ago and even with alot of support, it got denied. Really stupid.. It would be a great place to share ideas and tips. You can't really start a thread in "Teaching and Lecturing" asking the best way to teach 2nd Conditional to an English Learner.. Most people are just subbed to a couple of these TEFL threads and don't even see new ones.

Zero years teaching english at this point, just secured my first position and starting in Thailand in May. Wrapping up an i to i 140 hour TEFL course at the moment which was very useful to me; I finally know what a lesson-plan is!! :D

I read in other forums that an MA in education or a PGCE(i) is very useful for getting into the higher-paying mid-tier schools in Thailand. Also, I heard if you are studying for an MA in Education you get an exemption from having to do those mandatory TCT teaching tests that they have in Thailand...

A shame about the sub-forum, it's hardly that controversial a request?! The powers-that-be consider a 'Christmas Gift ideas' sub-forum to be of merit but not ESL/TEFL... hmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Would somebody be kind enough, please, to give me your views on this:
    http://megadeals.pigsback.com/offer/65988/59-instead-of-489-for-140-hour-scholar-level-5-tefl-course-with-tefl-cambridge

I've checked on the ACELS site and they appear to say the Cambridge Level 5 is valid.

I have a Level 9 qualification already.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Bicycle wrote: »

Really interested in this course myself, but the description is a bit vague.

Is the full 140 hours all online? Is there no classroom teacher to student training?

Also can't seem to find any details on the TKT test, ie when, where, and how much. The website says that International House and English Academy both host the test but couldn't find anything on their websites.

http://megadeals.pigsback.com/offer/65988/59-instead-of-489-for-140-hour-scholar-level-5-tefl-course-with-tefl-cambridge

I've checked on the ACELS site and they appear to say the Cambridge Level 5 is valid.

Thanks in advance.

Worth doing for the sake of it I suppose.. I'd nearly do it to brush up on things I've forgotten. Where would you intend to use it? It never would have helped me get a job in Vietnam cause a school that pays more for a cert won't consider an online course to be worth anything really.

Edit: Having looked at the list of modules, I might do it just for the grammar stuff without any real intention of actually finishing it.. Already have a 4 week classroom cert. I keep meaning to brush up on the more complex grammar and spending $100 would just about motivate me to actually study.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Really interested in this course myself, but the description is a bit vague.

Is the full 140 hours all online? Is there no classroom teacher to student training?

Also can't seem to find any details on the TKT test, ie when, where, and how much. The website says that International House and English Academy both host the test but couldn't find anything on their websites.

Yes, I think the 140 hours is all on-line. No classroom training. I saw that there were places in Galway and Dublin that do the TKT exam.

88 were sold last night when I checked. I'm assuming that Cambridge will need to have something in place to maintain their reputation.

I have quite a few years experience teaching in the private sector, in another field. I'm just hoping this would add another string to my bow. Maybe help me pick up a few extra hours here and there.

I've used Piggypoints to pay for it so its not the end of the world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hey guys, would this course on pigsback be better/ more recognized than the 140 hour combined course with i to i?

I saw that there were places in Galway and Dublin that do the TKT exam.

I live in Dublin so my options are either the Applied Language Centre, County Dublin Vocational Education Committee, or Education First International Language School.

None of their websites have any info on dates or prices of the TKT, so I've dropped them all an e-mail and will post back here the replies.

penzo wrote: »
    wondering if anyone can help us, i'm looking to do a part time celta course hoping to start in the summer.

This may come too soon for you but the next International House part-time CELTA course is 4th March - 23rd May 2013 and their next online/face-to-face blended course is on 17th March - 29th June 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

Charisteas wrote: »
    This may come too soon for you but the next International House part-time CELTA course is 4th March - 23rd May 2013 and their next online/face-to-face blended course is on 17th March - 29th June 2013.

do they really only have one part-time a year or has the other one not been put up yet do you know?

penzo wrote: »
    do they really only have one part-time a year or has the other one not been put up yet do you know?

I'm not sure. The 4th March - 23rd May 2013 course was originally scheduled for 4th February - 25th April, so perhaps they pushed it back four weeks because of a lack of demand, which would also explain why they possibly only run one or two per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clicla

Hey everyone,

I did an online TEFL course but am looking to get a better qualification with practical experience, thinking of choosing the CELT over CELTA as it's cheaper and have looked into the Swan Training Institute, the English Academy and the Dublin school of English but just wondering if anyone know which school is bets or even know of other institutions?

Any help at all would be much appreciated,thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clicla

Hey Kevin

I did an online TEFL course but am looking to get a better qualification with practical experience, thinking of choosing the CELT over CELTA as it's cheaper and have looked into the Swan Training Institute, the English Academy and the Dublin school of English but just wondering if you know which school is best or even know of other institutions?

Any help at all would be much appreciated,thanks!

• Advertisement

clicla wrote: »
    thinking of choosing the CELT over CELTA as it's cheaper

I would choose the course which is better for you and more suited to your needs. Don't go for one over the other because it's a few hundred Euro cheaper, sure you'll make the money back in a few days of teaching.

88 were sold last night when I checked. I'm assuming that Cambridge will need to have something in place to maintain their reputation.

I don't think that this course is associated with Cambridge at all, it just teaches you what you need to know in order to pass the TKT course. The address of the company running the course is in Hong Kong which I thought was odd. Have you started the course yet? What do you think of it?

clicla wrote: »
    Hey Kevin

I did an online TEFL course but am looking to get a better qualification with practical experience, thinking of choosing the CELT over CELTA as it's cheaper

CELT is the same as CELTA as far as I'm aware

Where is the CELT certificate recognised and by whom?

The CELT certificate entitles the bearer to teach the English language both in
    Ireland and abroad. It is the minimum requirement for employment in the
    recognised sector in Ireland. Due to increased standardisation of English language
    teaching certificates it is often the minimum requirement for teaching abroad too.
    The English equivalent would be the CELTA. Both certificates are fully recognised by
    the Irish Department of Education and the British Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I have an interview for the part-time CELTA course with Kaplan. Has anyone attended one of these interviews before? If so, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone and thanks for your help regarding the above.

I rang the Galway Cultural Institute this afternoon and they told me that the exams cost €170 or thereabouts each. There are 3 exams to be completed running to approximately €510, making the course a lot more expensive than one was initially lead to believe. And they couldn't guarantee me that I would be able to work in Ireland either. They said some schools might accept the qualification and others might not.

I have a 7 day cooling off period which ends tomorrow. I'm giving serious consideration to ending my agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Hi everyone and thanks for your help regarding the above.

I rang the Galway Cultural Institute this afternoon and they told me that the exams cost €170 or thereabouts each. There are 3 exams to be completed running to approximately €510, making the course a lot more expensive than one was initially lead to believe. And they couldn't guarantee me that I would be able to work in Ireland either. They said some schools might accept the qualification and others might not.

I have a 7 day cooling off period which ends tomorrow. I'm giving serious consideration to ending my agreement.

As far as I know you can only ever work in a language school in Ireland when you have a degree and a CELT

griffdaddy wrote: »
    As far as I know you can only ever work in a language school in Ireland when you have a degree and a CELT

This is also my understanding. That a CELT is required along with a degree of some kind in order to teach English as a foreign language in Ireland

Taken from the ACELS site http://www.acels.ie/acelselt.htm

Certificate in English Language Teaching (CELT): All successful trainees who are awarded this certificate are eligible to work in all Department of Education & Science recognised English language (ELT) schools in Ireland. Click here for information

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Hi guys,

I think this is the appropriate place.

Basically, I've been accepted to LoveTEFL's Thailand programme and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I'm naturally sceptical of anyone who accepts me this quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

griffdaddy wrote: »

Is that CELT only, or do they also accept the CELTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wezmc1985

JayC5 wrote: »
    Zero years teaching english at this point, just secured my first position and starting in Thailand in May. Wrapping up an i to i 140 hour TEFL course at the moment which was very useful to me; I finally know what a lesson-plan is!! :D

I read in other forums that an MA in education or a PGCE(i) is very useful for getting into the higher-paying mid-tier schools in Thailand. Also, I heard if you are studying for an MA in Education you get an exemption from having to do those mandatory TCT teaching tests that they have in Thailand...

A shame about the sub-forum, it's hardly that controversial a request?! The powers-that-be consider a 'Christmas Gift ideas' sub-forum to be of merit but not ESL/TEFL... hmm :rolleyes:
    hi, just wondering about your background. What education have you done to secure a job teaching English in Thailand? i have two years done in an IT and also plenty of first-aid training, i am looking into doing a TEFL course where i am from and going teaching somewhere, (anywhere!) and looking for advice...
    If i do the tefl course, can i just start applying for jobs and expect to get hired?
    Was it all done via the internet?
    Thanks for any information you can help me with

• Advertisement

sweetthing wrote: »
    Is that CELT only, or do they also accept the CELTA?

If you bothered to read a few posts above.
    Where is the CELT certificate recognised and by whom?

The CELT certificate entitles the bearer to teach the English language both in
    Ireland and abroad. It is the minimum requirement for employment in the
    recognised sector in Ireland. Due to increased standardisation of English language
    teaching certificates it is often the minimum requirement for teaching abroad too.
    The English equivalent would be the CELTA. Both certificates are fully recognised by
    the Irish Department of Education and the British Council.

Advertisement