Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You passed it ok then I take it ?
    Anything people should really focus on ?

Yeah passed it with merit. The only way you could fail is if you didn't put in any effort or were too busy to attend classes and complete assignments, or were if you had some sort of social interaction problems - like extreme shyness, problems interacting with people etc...

Everyone is nervous when doing their first teaching practice but you get over it eventually.

In my opinion good people skills is the number one thing you need to be a good TEFL teacher (again perhaps I'm talking from a teaching-in-Spain perspective).

Don't stress about it anyway, for me one of the main positives of this job is that it's usually very stress-free

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Stayfrosty2

Did mine in the Centre for English Studies in Dame Street Dublin. Have to say the course was excellent if very intense!! I'm currently doing a HDIP for secondary teaching and I have to say that i learned so much more from the CELT Course than the HDIP. Plus the teaching experience you get from it is fantastic. Wasnt too expensive either, 1000euros.
    I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to do a CELT course.

Just make sure you dont have much else on your plate at the time, its seriously time consuming!!!
    And I wouldnt worry about the grammar, out teachers said you wont gain a serious understanding of it until you actually head out and have to teach it to students.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I am in the middle of applying to the CELTA at the moment. I rang the office in college to see was it ok to apply now for the January course and enquire about hours etc and the woman I spoke to intimidated me a lot. She basically said I wouldn't get in as there have been so many applications already.

I am really interested in it and have a background in languages but she said all of that is irrelevant - suitability is the main thing. I asked what kind of criteria they base suitability on but she wouldn't say.

Is it really this difficult to get into the course? :\ I want to be as well prepared as possible for the application process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Once you apply and are initially accepted, do you need to do an interview and all that BS? My problem is that I will need to apply months in advance as I will have to give notice on my current job. (Will be doing CELTA abroad by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Anyone with any experiences doing a i-to-i 120 hour online TEFL course?

Seems like a good course to get my foot in the door so to speak, I really don't think i'm ready for CELTA yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Did mine in the Centre for English Studies in Dame Street Dublin. Have to say the course was excellent if very intense!! I'm currently doing a HDIP for secondary teaching and I have to say that i learned so much more from the CELT Course than the HDIP. Plus the teaching experience you get from it is fantastic. Wasnt too expensive either, 1000euros.
    I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to do a CELT course.

Do you have a Link Frosty ?
    ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I am in the middle of applying to the CELTA at the moment. I rang the office in college to see was it ok to apply now for the January course and enquire about hours etc and the woman I spoke to intimidated me a lot. She basically said I wouldn't get in as there have been so many applications already.

I am too Vive, Already sent a few emails to TheEnglishAcademy, no reply or response..which I find very unprofessional. I'll give them a ring to see what they say.

I will also try the IH Dublin, and the link to wherever Frosty posts.

Where did you apply for and when ? I was thinking March-May 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the wealth of information. I am actually in my final year of College (B.A. in Languages) and am looking at doing a CELT course. The thing is I would like to do a part-time one (12 weeks) for personal reasons. I have heard that Anna Livia School in Dublin does one that is part-time during the summer. If anyone has done this course, I would really appreciate a review.

I am mostly interested in doing a TEFL course during the summer after my final year. I have applied for the English Language Assistant program in a couple of Spanish secondary schools for October 2013. So the CELT would be great for developing teaching skills that are geared towards Children. But also, I would like to give private class to Adults after school hours.

Any insight would be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

Charisteas wrote: »
    Anyone with any experiences doing a i-to-i 120 hour online TEFL course?

Seems like a good course to get my foot in the door so to speak, I really don't think i'm ready for CELTA yet.
    I did it and am regretting it already- a waste of money. I'm finding it impossible to find any summer work with it, as I don't want to go to Asia.

Huckster wrote: »
    I did it and am regretting it already- a waste of money. I'm finding it impossible to find any summer work with it, as I don't want to go to Asia.

What countries are you looking for summer work in?

• Advertisement

What countries are you looking for summer work in?
    Anywhere in Europe except Spain, basically

Huckster wrote: »

But did you find the actual course itself well structured and informative? Is it a good first step into teaching English?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 innominat

But did you find the actual course itself well structured and informative? Is it a good first step into teaching English?
    If you want to work in europe you need a CELTA or similar level. EU places wont take online certs, iv done same course and id agree its waste of money if you want to work in EU.

No. The weekend course is the only time anyone gets any hands on 'teaching practice' and it was only when I looked around at the kinds of people doing the course and passing it that I realised how much of a waste it really was. Most people attending had zero interest in teaching (one guy came in drunk and fell asleep in class) but saw TEFL as a cheap way to travel. One woman couldn't hack it at all and totally lost the plot when she had to stand in front of everyone, later admitting that she was having some kind of midlife crisis and saw this as an easy way to get out of the country. We all passed regardless. Literally all you need to do is show up. Then the online part was boring, repetitive and not helpful at all imo. The answers are basically all waffling, bullshítting and regurgitating the handbook.

Yes I've read on other forums that the online part was boring and repetitive.

I'm just looking for something to give me some basic teaching training for private tutoring (ideally children/teenagers) in South America and the i-to-i looked handy for that, but I'll look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Hi,

I'm currently making my way through a 140 hour TEFL course and planning on going to Thailand in March/April to teach English. I had intensions of doing a CELTA course over there before looking for a job also, but now I'm having second thoughts.

It's dawning on me how much work will be involved in completing the CELTA, especially when I have no teaching experience to date. So, do you guys think it's worth getting a year of teaching experience under my belt first, based on my TEFL qualificaion and then doing the CELTA? With no previous experience to call upon the idea of being thrown in at the deep end and having to teach on the spot during the CELTA course is freaking me out. For some reason I don't mind the idea of having to teach with only the TEFL behind me, it seems likes there's more opportunity to adapt in a proper classroom if you know what I mean. I feel overwhelmed with the idea of the CELTA course as the teaching practice is broken into specific time slots which I'll be graded on. Does this sound ridiculous or is there method to my madness? Thoughts please :D

J

I left my job this month specifically to travel later in the year.
    I have no previous teaching experience, but am determined to do the CELT.

I applied and have already got a response from http://www.ces-schools.com/dublin/08018/celt-tefl-course, for the course in March-April.

I'd rather get the best qualification I can before venturing out.
    I've also bought some of the recommended books so I can get an idea before starting (as my English grammar may be lacking due to attending an all-Irish primary and secondary)

But if you are intent on travelling, and really are committed to it, then you should do a CELT course for yourself.

I know how you feel about being nervous, I haven't had to do any academic work since leaving college 5 years ago.
    But , I know I am capable of 4 weeks of hard work, especially if this is something I REALLY want :)

Is it important to know the local language when actually going for a teaching post?

Denerick wrote: »
    Is it important to know the local language when actually going for a teaching post?
    Nope, but it can be a major help- especially when working with younger kids and beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emma240

Does anyone know if the 120 hour tefl course, ( i to i ), will it suffice to teach in Dubai or other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Has anyone got real world experience of actually teaching in a middle east country, China, Korea, Thailand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Has anyone got real world experience of actually teaching in a middle east country, China, Korea, Thailand?

Sure. You can ask your questions here, or PM me if you like.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I worked in the Middle East- feel free to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JayC5 wrote: »
    It's dawning on me how much work will be involved in completing the CELTA, especially when I have no teaching experience to date. So, do you guys think it's worth getting a year of teaching experience under my belt first, based on my TEFL qualificaion and then doing the CELTA? With no previous experience to call upon the idea of being thrown in at the deep end and having to teach on the spot during the CELTA course is freaking me out. For some reason I don't mind the idea of having to teach with only the TEFL behind me, it seems likes there's more opportunity to adapt in a proper classroom if you know what I mean. I feel overwhelmed with the idea of the CELTA course as the teaching practice is broken into specific time slots which I'll be graded on. Does this sound ridiculous or is there method to my madness?

The International House state on their website -

The CELTA course is aimed at a range of candidates including:
    - candidates who are entirely new to teaching
    - candidates who have taught languages but with little or no previous training
    - candidates who have taught other subjects and wish to take up language teaching
    - candidates who have received previous training in language teaching but feel the need for a refresher course, for a more practical qualification or for a more internationally recognised qualification

So if you fit into one of these categories, and if you have the confidence and motivation, then I think you shouldn't be afraid of the hard work and just go for it.

What's holding me back is a personal lack of confidence and if I'm being honest with myself, a possible lack of motivation.

I would love to give the CELTA course a try, and if I feel like I'm wasting my time and that of others, then gracefully bow out. But the fact that International House and The English Academy both insist on full payment before the commencement of course, which is non-refundable even if you resign after the first day, is not only off-putting but also has a hint of a scam about it.

Which is why I may pursue the 120 hour i-to-i online course first.

The International House state on their website -

So if you fit into one of these categories, and if you have the confidence and motivation, then I think you shouldn't be afraid of the hard work and just go for it.

What's holding me back is a personal lack of confidence and if I'm being honest with myself, a possible lack of motivation.

I would love to give the CELTA course a try, and if I feel like I'm wasting my time and that of others, then gracefully bow out. But the fact that International House and The English Academy both insist on full payment before the commencement of course, which is non-refundable even if you resign after the first day, is not only off-putting but also has a hint of a scam about it.

120hours online, its 100 hours of reading at your own pace.

I am in the same boat as you, no teaching experience. But I am going for the CELT. Even if you DO happen to fail / not pass , at least you will have 4 weeks of REAL teaching experience and training behind you.

You can then always do it again.

I read someone elses quote somewhere on here that brought it home for me.

Would you rather 100 hours reading on how to drive a car, and 20 hours with an instructor.
    Or would you rather 4 weeks with an instructor and some actual training ?
    Which do you think will stand to you better ?

Emm... how many people fail the Celta? Thats a rather dreadful prospect I hadn't even considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's definitely no scam about those two CELTA places. In fact, I believe they are government approved courses. That's a good thing about this country in that many of the course operators are state approved and have to meet certain conditions. No more than 15 in a class, be of at least a 4 week duration etc.

I know people who have done CELTAs at both those places and they said good things about the instruction. CELTA is Cambridge approved which is why employers around the world like seeing it. A person from Cambridge will visit during the course and have a Q&A with candidates about what the course is like and whether it's been helpful, have the right materials been available etc. They also keep the written projects that get sent to them as part of the course evaluation.

As far as I know the i-to-i is only helpful for getting into places associated with it, usually in Asia. In other words, it's worthless to most language employers and wouldn't be given much respect in Europe where they would rather a CELTA or some other 4 week qualification. I know a girl who did the i-to-i and it was no use to her and she ended up doing the CELTA afterwards.

My advice would be to research whether ELT is for you by checking out a few videos of classes and perhaps even enquire to one of the places whether they would let you sit in and observe one of the classes. I would steer well clear of i-to-i though. Go for either a CELTA or a CELT. You won't be able to work in Ireland without one of these if you'd like that option.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

^ I second the comments regarding i-to-i. I befriended a dozen people in my class and nobody has managed to secure a job from it. I felt it was a complete waste of money and 400 euros is a hell of a lot for a student.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mr Nice Guy, Huckster, and SeantheMan. Some good advise here that I wouldn't have got in the real world as I don't know anyone who is even remotely involved in TEFL.

When I said 'scam' about The English Academy and International House, I didn't mean the courses themselves (they look absolutely top notch) I was more suspicious as to why they are desperate for strictly full payment in advance with no refund if things don't work out.

Like you said, I will do more research, find videos on YouTube etc. I'm not petrified about speaking in front of an audience, but I need to be true to myself, figure out if this road is for me, as it looks like nobody passes the course without true dedication.

I was interested in the IH part-time course, and the start date seems to have changed from February to March, which buys me an extra month to research.

Advertisement