Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some TV Shows for me...

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Summer is approaching, and I've spent most of my holidays catching up on my archive of TV shows meaning that I'll need to add a few more shows to my repotoire so I don't die of boredom this Summer (I'd much prefer to die of exhaustion!).

These are all the shows I presently have. As you can see, a lot of mainstream stuff so I'd like to see some more niche shows thrown in :)
    Arrested Development
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Californication
    Desperate Housewives
    Dexter
    Entourage
    Family Guy
    Father Ted
    Firefly
    Friday Night Lights
    Grey's Anatomy
    Gossip Girl
    Heroes
    House
    Jericho
    Las Vegas
    Lost
    One Tree Hill
    Prison Break
    Pushing Daisies
    Rome
    Sex and the City
    Scrubs
    Skins
    Supernatural
    The Sopranos
    The IT Crowd
    The Kill Point
    The OC
    The Wire
    Veronica Mars
    Weeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Perhaps ''The War at Home''. A very 'bold' American tv show. Perhaps not to some peoples liking, but one of my favourite shows. Its a good dark comedy sitcom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Breaking bad is pretty good as is chuck unfortunately both are still in their first season so there aren't that many episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Breaking bad is pretty good as is chuck unfortunately both are still in their first season so there aren't that many episodes.

+1 for Breaking Bad.

Really loving it. Hal out of Malcolm in the Middle plays the lead role, and does so quite sensationally. One of the best shows to come out in years.

Archimedes wrote: »
    +1 for Breaking Bad.

Really loving it. Hal out of Malcolm in the Middle plays the lead role, and does so quite sensationally. One of the best shows to come out in years.

'One' also being ''The War at Home''.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Yea i can vouch for breaking bad also, good craic
    Some others : Reaper , My Name is Earl , Terminator :SCC,Dirty Sexy Money,The Big Bang Theory

For Terminator, if you watched and liked the films , you will like it,That spaced out chick from Firefly is in it.

Not sure why Stargate isnt on your list but i'm guessing you must not like it cuz its abit ridiculous to presume you haven't heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Flight of the Conchords perhaps? Very funny HBO show about a New Zealand 'folk parody duo' trying to break into America. Hilarious show, and terrific music.

And if you haven't seen Freaks & Geeks, it is always recommended.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Archimedes wrote: »
    +1 for Breaking Bad.

Yeah I seen the thread about it and decided to give it a go. Didn't think it would be as good as it is. These forums have introduced me to some brilliant shows.

*hugs boards*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

underworld, some australian gangster thing getting good reviews, i watched it and it's good

underbelly i mean LOL LOL LO0L LOL[FDPBXZJDPFT[#JSBRHBPK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_(TV_series)

It's good mate! (australian accentr)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gossip Girl
    Oh... you BIIGGG pansy. Girlfriend watches this tripe.

Let me think.. I'll mix in some mainstream with not so mainstream.

* This Life - excellent British BBC drama / comedy from the mid-90's about a bunch of barristers. Re-watching it at the moment.
    * Breaking Bad - cannot recommend this enough. Absolutely fantastic show.. and one of the best new shows of the year.
    * Spaced - the funniest comedy EVER MADE. Sorry Seinfeld and Arrested Development but this just pips you at the post.
    * Black Books - another fantastic British sitcom.
    * Undeclared / Freaks & Geeks - both from the brillant minds of Judd Apatow and Paul Feig. Absolutelt essential viewing.
    * Life On Mars / Ashes To Ashes - 'Life on Mars' is essential viewing and although you could probably without 'Ashes to Ashes', it still is entertaining.
    * The Mighty Boosh - quite daft but it's in it's charm. And it's absolutely hilarious - Noel Fielding and Julian Barrett are fantastic.
    * The League Of Gentlement - quite dark and not for everyone but very enjoyable if you like your humour mixed with a bit of drama / surrealness.
    * Planet Earth - it's a documentary series but YEARS ahead of it's time. Absolutely stunning!

I'll add more later..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

+1 for Reaper, My name is Earl and Big bang Theory, Terminator

All the Law and Orders are good, Criminal Intent my fave.
    Criminal Minds, Brothers and Sisters, Medium, Smallville, Supernatural, Cold Case, Without a Trace.

+1 Mighty Boosh (how could it slip my mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I cant reccomend the US office enough, my fave show of all time is probarbly OZ though, its yet another HBO show set in a prison and follows the lives of inmates and their gangs in the prison, pretty much everyone in it has made it big in other shows since. Seriously check it out.

Just noticed your into family guy, ok u gotta check out southpark season 11, if that doesnt make you laugh id check your pulse.

+1 for jericho and dexter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - comic genius at it's best especially if you're a fan of the IT Crowd/Mighty Boosh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Darkplace. How could I forget that. Pity there was only 6 or 7 episodes.

I heard once about a good show called ''The War at Home''

Top stuff. Or Shark with James Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Underbelly - Mentioned already but a really great show.

Burn Notice - About an agent who has been burned and doesn't know why but wants to know. Really, really good and very funny in a dry kinda way.

Dirty Sexy Money - Mentioned as well but it's class.

EDIT: Feckin forgot Top Gear! That's an essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

FearDark wrote: »
    I cant reccomend the US office enough, my fave show of all time is probarbly OZ though, its yet another HBO show set in a prison and follows the lives of inmates and their gangs in the prison, pretty much everyone in it has made it big in other shows since. Seriously check it out.

+1

OZ is really good. Some of the most fu*cked up stuff ive ever seen on a TV series. I still have memories of "bend over prag, we gonna spoon" *shudder*

Will it ever make an appearance on TG4 again?

As for other TV shows; The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Fast Show and Seinfield are in my opinion the best TV shows of all time. The Shield is also pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Flight of the Conchords perhaps? Very funny HBO show about a New Zealand 'folk parody duo' trying to break into America. Hilarious show, and terrific music.
    +1,000,000!!!!:pac::pac:
    I cannot recommend this show enough. It is BRILLIANT!!:D:D
    Also another brilliant show from New Zealand I'd recommend is Outrageous Fortune. It's kinda like Shameless
    (if you've never seen Shameless I recommend that too!!:D)

EDIT: You seem to like all the mainstream American TV programmes, so you should watch Brothers & Sisters. I saw an episode the other night, and it was good. And it's pretty big in America (Sally Field & Calista Flockhart are in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Millenium

In Treatment

Eli Stone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

+1 for Spaced and Black Books.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying 30 Rock and How I met Your Mother

From our DVD shelf:
    Jeeves & Wooster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Not sure why Stargate isnt on your list but i'm guessing you must not like it cuz its abit ridiculous to presume you haven't heard of it

I like the show, but the thought of having to catch up on so many episodes is frightening!
    various wrote:
    Breaking Bad
    Seems to have earned a lot of +1's so far, so I'll go investigate!

And if you haven't seen Freaks & Geeks, it is always recommended

I remember hearing good things about both of those and have certainly flirted with the idea of getting Freaks and Geeks on more than one occassion. Will look into both of them, thanks :)
    underbelly

Wikipedia article looks promising, thanks.
    basquille wrote:
    Gossip Girl
    Oh... you BIIGGG pansy. Girlfriend watches this tripe.

Yeah it was an ex of mine that got me into watching The OC a few years back. At the time, Mischa Barton was being a lesbian, so I've been following the genre of similar shows ever since.
    basquille wrote:
    * Spaced - the funniest comedy EVER MADE. Sorry Seinfeld and Arrested Development but this just pips you at the post.

I loved Arrested Development, so I'll have to give this a whirl!
    basquille wrote:
    Planet Earth - it's a documentary series but YEARS ahead of it's time. Absolutely stunning!
    I've seen this available in HD so I'm going to try get that if only to be able to say "WOW" at each action shot and close up!

As for everything else you suggested, I'll get around to them eventually. As someone who's ever present in all the various TV forums, I trust your judgement.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Burn Notice - About an agent who has been burned and doesn't know why but wants to know. Really, really good and very funny in a dry kinda way.

This was a series that I was watching closely when it was announced (it looked to be one of the more promising new series of the year but forgot all about it. Another show added to my list ;)
    Xavi6 wrote:
    EDIT: Feckin forgot Top Gear! That's an essential

While this is another show I enjoy, like StarGate, the prospect of watching every single episode is daunting. I think I'll continue to just dip in and out of it when it's on TV rather than sit down one week for a marathon session!
    FearDark wrote:

Just noticed your into family guy, ok u gotta check out southpark season 11, if that doesnt make you laugh id check your pulse.

Aye, I've been meaning to get into the US Office for quite some time. As for OZ, from what I can gather it's very similar to The Wire and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't got through that yet so I'm going to wait until The Wire is out of the way before I dive into OZ.

Southpark and Futurama are on my todo list :)
    DeepBlue wrote:
    Damages
    Mad Men

The Boards thread for Damages sounds very interesting. I've also found period dramas to be very iffy though, so I'm not too sure about Mad Men.

I'm going to look up some of the other shows that people suggested later on and see if they sound like they'll pacify me! If you've got anymore suggestions, keep em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A lot of the ones mentioned above but Id also include

The West Wing. (brilliant brilliant tv)
    Sleeper Cell.
    Entourage

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

If you like Grey's Anatomy, then the spin off Private Practice is worth a look!! I like it anyhow!!

Grey's Anatomy or The War at Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Step 1: Stay clear of the War at Home. Sorry estebancambias but it is just terrible and has already been cancelled.

Step 2: Once you are finished with the brilliance that is the Wire,definatly check Oz out. Saw the first season in Zavvi the other day so I picked it up and once I had finished watching it I ordered seasons 2 and 3 right away. Very good show.

I will also throw in another vote for Breaking Bad. Very good show despite only having 7 or so episodes.

LMAO. Yeah I guess anyone who lists Lizzy Maguire as his favourite show shouldn't really be listened to when it comes to selecting tv shows. I like quirky ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Cant believe I forgot Trailer Park Boys. Check it oot eh - most awesomest Canadian TV show!

Advertisement