Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad - Season 1

Options
  • 21-01-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

http://www.tv.com/breaking-bad/show/74713/summary.html?q=&tag=search_results;title;1

Haven't got around to acquiring this myself yet but pilot was on last night, in case anyone wants something new to watch

Hal from Malcolm in the Middle is in it so should be great

"Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) stars in this drama focused on a mid-life crisis gone bad for a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a drug dealer after he discovers that he has lung cancer."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

This show is getting phenomenal reviews. IGN TV gave the pilot a 9.7 and average score on metaritic is a 9.3. Havent had a chance to watch it yet but I cant wait. Hal was always the best thing about Malcolm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Saw the pilot episode and i've gotta say it was 'kin brilliant!!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ElNino

Excellent pilot episode. I certainly hope that they can keep up the high standard for the next episode. While the story line has obvious similarities to Weeds this is much darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very very good... I'd been waiting for this for a few weeks, and it lived up to expectations.
    How many episodes were made before the strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Most excellent pilot. I hope it can keep up the intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Just saw the pilot and it was very good. Bryan Cranston is brilliant,he was the best thing about Malcolm in the Middle and he was really good in this.

Loved how he nearly broke the leg of some tool who was slagging his son. seriously,what kind of a-hole slags of a disabled person like that! Deserved what he got!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Great start to a potentially great series.

Epguides lists 6 episodes, so we should get some idea if it can maintain the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bah.. missed this completely til now.

Giving it a go tonight.

Absolutely brillant.. maybe it's the lack of new material coming from the States but I absolutely loved this.

The first episode was a nice little opener. It really moved quite slow at the beginning but with the introduction of Jesse, it really started to move along quickly.

The second episode was absolutely fantastic though.. everything from
    Skyler showing up to meet Jesse with Emilio's legs in our view in the background
    to the scene with
    the acid and internal organs of Emilio eroding through the bath

The show really does get it's tone right. Very funny at times, very dramatic at others.. and it helps to have a good cast (though Bryan Cranston steals the show of course). The scene in the 1st episode with Walt standing up to the 3 making fun of his son was a highlight - from that scene onwards, Walt will be always be seen as a good guy simply looking out for a family.

And I really enjoy the non-linear timeline in that it hops forward and back in time on numerous occasions in the first few episodes. And how the second episode starts pretty much precisely where the pilot finished. Could possibly be like that for the season I suppose.

Knew I recognised the creator of the series somewhere - Vince Gilligan. Turns out he was a long-time writer and producer on The X-Files. And is also responsible for the script to 'Hancock' (a film I'm really looking forward to this year).
    Mr E wrote: »
    How many episodes were made before the strike?
    According to Wikipedia, it was given a nine-episode order (including the pilot) but only 7 episodes were made before the WGA strike.

Cannot recommend this show enough and looking forward to episode 3.

PS - viral marketing from the show - Walt's Wisdom.

Great 2nd episode indeed. That scene where
    the bath eroded and all of the blood and organs fell through was amazing,and disgusting! My mouth was wide open in shock,which rarely happens with me and tv shows. Sure things are shocking,but that was just feckin....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Just watched the first two episodes of this and it's absolutely brilliant. I can certainly see Bryan Cranston getting award recognition for this. He's absolutely fantastic. Shame it was cut short by two episodes because of the strike, though. :(

Roll on episode 3.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watched the pilot - I'll echo what was said above and say it shows real promise.

One thing though - anyone else watch a version that seemed slightly censored? There seemed bits where any "F-word" was clipped and nipples were blurred in another shot.

Yeah, it's shown on basic cable channel 'AMC' (much like FX or Comedy Central), so you can't say fúck, c*nt or show full frontal nudity. No idea why they included them if they were just gonna have to censor them, anyway. I can understand why they did it in Arrested Development, for comedic effect, but in a serious drama like this, it doesn't make much sense. Maybe they pitched the pilot to HBO or Showtime, and it was rejected or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

This show really knows how to play dark, very, dark humour and yet still retain some element of believability.
    After three episodes I'm definitely hooked.

Ye the 3rd episode was brilliant.
    The conversation he has with "Crazy 8" only to realise he was being fooled and would have to kill him. Brian Cranston deserves award recognition for this. Also loved the DEA brother in law teaching the son about the dangers of pot :D

tvnutz wrote: »
    Ye the 3rd episode was brilliant.
    The conversation he has with "Crazy 8" only to realise he was being fooled and would have to kill him. Brian Cranston deserves award recognition for this. Also loved the DEA brother in law teaching the son about the dangers of pot :D
    Yep, the best bit about episode 3 was
    after Walter goes upstairs to get the key and puts his beer can in the bin (and it shows another shot of the broken plate and old sandwich), I had a sudden realisation I bet Domingo took a shard of the broken plate when he was out cold. And then Walter had the same realisation but it was all played so well. Especially with the showdown, the choking and Domingo swinging the shard forward and back at Walter behind him was quite intense too (especially when he got stabbed in the leg).

Excellent stuff... definitely the best of the mid-season shows!

Are people still watching this? It just gets better and better. There was some powerhouse acting going on in the latest episode. The intervention scene towards the end was just incredible. Someone give Bryan Cranston an award, already. It was moving stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Are people still watching this? It just gets better and better. There was some powerhouse acting going on in the latest episode. The intervention scene towards the end was just incredible. Someone give Bryan Cranston an award, already. It was moving stuff.
    I agree that it keeps improving. I also like that the plot is slowly unravelling in that it's
    taken him this long to go back to cooking
    . Some great performances from Cranston.

Aside, anyone know the deal with the swearing? They seem to be allowing some of it through but blanking out the rest. I could understand this with the trailer where it might have been pitched to someone like HBO but it's an ongoing thing now, from the episodes I've seen in my cousins house.

Robbo wrote: »
    Aside, anyone know the deal with the swearing? They seem to be allowing some of it through but blanking out the rest. I could understand this with the trailer where it might have been pitched to someone like HBO but it's an ongoing thing now, from the episodes I've seen in my cousins house.

It probably depends where your cousin has acquired his copy.
    Afaik the show is shown at an earlier and later viewings on it's home channel.
    The earlier viewing is censored but the later one is not. Thus if your cousin taped the earlier one and passed it on to you then you get the censored version .

As for the show itself it's the best thing I've seen in a while. Is it wrong that I've been impatient for him to get back to cooking? :confused:

Ye it has been great,Bryan Cranston deserves awards for this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

I've just seen the sixth episode. The show just keeps on getting better.

It manages to be darkly funny and have it's fair share of action whilst at the same time portraying the fallout of terminal illness with smaltz-free sensitivity, all held together by a fantastic central performance.

That's a long sentence I know but it's some good TV. Hopefully with the lack of scripted shows at the moment this is getting it's fair share of viewers.

Just watched episode 6. Jesus Christ, that was absolutely brilliant. :lol: What an ending! My favouritre episode yet.

If this show isn't renewed it'll be one of the biggest crimes in recent entertainment history.

Just got around to watching episode 6,brilliant episode. The explosion was done really well.

I think its the season finale tonight in the states. fairly short season,probably because of the strike. Hopefully it will be picked up for another season.

Fúcking badass :D

solnc0.png

Another absolutely brilliant episode of Breaking Bad, last night. It was a bit slap-sticky in places, but it didn't stop it from being hilarious at the same time. Definitely the funniest of the 7 episodes. I loved it.

If ever a show deserved a second season, this is it.

2q2g5fa.png

:lol:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I started watching this yesterday and it is the best show this year by a mile. Amazing stuff. Pity it is so short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Just watched episode 6. Jesus Christ, that was absolutely brilliant. :lol: What an ending! My favouritre episode yet.

If this show isn't renewed it'll be one of the biggest crimes in recent entertainment history.

second to the renewal of Jericho.

Beelzebub wrote: »
    second to the renewal of Jericho.

Meh! Jericho is all fluff and mindless action. Wouldn't care if it didn't come back.

This show on the other hand is very very good,cable shows tend to be a lot better than network shows. The last episode was very good,loved the scene where they are carrying the barrell with the security guard locked in the toilet :D

tvnutz wrote: »
    The last episode was very good,loved the scene where they are carrying the barrell with the security guard locked in the toilet :D

Agreed!
    The whole methylamine heist was hilarious but that particular scene was particularly funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just finished watching the seven episodes. Best new series since as far back as I can remember. There had really better be more episodes at some stage.

Walt kicks MacGyver and Sayeed's arses!

Advertisement