Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership Prices in Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'm right in saying the new gym in NUI is only open to Alumni members & present students right? Oh and staff obviously. Cos otherwise twil be awfully busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

d-gal wrote: »
    Rad is so dear coz simply coz of the name radisson and the standard of the hotel. Best pool facilities by a long way tho and the staff always very good for tips, get a couple of passes to the spa and free swim lesson and more guest passes etc. Gym not great but quite private majority of times

I've signed up for the Rad gym and I have to say I'm very happy with it so far. Only signed up yesterday. Didn't get chance to use it till this afternoon.

I'm booked in for an induction tomorrow, but I was in there today and one of the guys that was there showed me around and gave me plenty of advice. The gym was quite private at the time, but it was hardly a peak time when I was in.

Pool and sauna and hot tub are top class I have to say. Great way to relax after a workout. Time to get my fitness programme tomorrow now.

I know it's not really something that a gym can legislate for, but there were a good few people in there that were up for a bit of banter anyways. It's nice to be able to distract yourself a bit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

recently tried the gym at the galway shopping centre-uslesss

ps-anyone know the best way to increase musscle tissue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Ya peak physique is not that good tbh, increasing muscle tissue is just basically using a good weights program, will take a while longer if you are a female tbh as ye have obvious different hormones compared to males but train hard and watch the diet and you should see results, get a professional to do the program rather than taking a shot in the dark, seen it too many times before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm enjoying Olympic Physique, nicely laid out and never seems to busy, plenty of machines and freeweights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Tribezz

My mate is a personal trainer and has 2 gyms he works from, Oranmore and Turloughmore. No one else only him and the person he is training in the room at one time. Maybe worth checking out as an alternative to joining a gym.:D

www.one2one.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Tribezz wrote: »
    My mate is a personal trainer and has 2 gyms he works from, Oranmore and Turloughmore. No one else only him and the person he is training in the room at one time. Maybe worth checking out as an alternative to joining a gym.:D

www.one2one.ie
    What are his rates like?

On a seperate note anyone know what the gyms in Oranmore are like - the one in the Quality Hotel or in Oranmore Lodge and current rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

avoid crunch during college year unless you only intend to use treadmill. dont even bother walking past the weights, there are 5 or 6 lads there who are not students and have eyes and veins popping out from steroids glaring at anyone who dares to enter their corner. leisureland is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

avoid crunch during college year unless you only intend to use treadmill. dont even bother walking past the weights, there are 5 or 6 lads there who are not students and have eyes and veins popping out from steroids glaring at anyone who dares to enter their corner. leisureland is the business.

Ha! steroids in crunch, plz dont be so naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Hennybug wrote: »
    What are his rates like?

On a seperate note anyone know what the gyms in Oranmore are like - the one in the Quality Hotel or in Oranmore Lodge and current rates?

Been a member for Oranmore Lodge for 2years, and found it very good, weights and equipment might not be as new as you would expect but it's never busy, Also their is always room in the sawna and steam room. compared to what you get else where it's good value

as regards Quality was in once it's ok, in comparision but not as nice as the lodge, far busyer too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Thanks for that - will check it out, time to get the ass in gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gymbeast

Seeing as there are a few threads floating around the Galway forum about things gym-related, I thought it would be good to have a list of all the gyms within city limits and their pricing.

I'm not currently a member of anyone them at the moment, so if anyone here is a member of one, feel free to tell us how much of your hard-earned it is costing you.
    Been to most in the last week on the east side of Galway, and these were my findings....

NRG quite small and with 150 deposit and 55 per month too pricey
    Days 700euro roughly and only a small pool, but a quiet place so liked it
    City gym great free weights but quite busy and no pool etc
    Radison way too expensive, just under 1000!
    Olympic physique has a nice feel about it, but for 450 with no pool i felt it was too much
    The Kingfisher in Renmore only 45 per month and 25m pool. 2 floors to the gym and someone told me it is a busy gym but not when i went it wasn't at all, on a Mon evening too....
    Suffice to say i joined Kingfisher due to amount of equipment and the price too, and the staff seem friendly.
    Did I miss any gyms around the east side??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Is the college gym dual membership? How much for non students?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Is the college gym dual membership? How much for non students?
    I don't know if it's dual membership, but it's €595 for Corporate Rate, €495 for Alumni

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sinorita

Hey,

Just wondering about the classes that take place in crunch fitness...what type and are they good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gym advertising budgets must've been cut back severely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 shebop

::bumping this::

Any spinning addicts? Can you tell me the best gym for the best spinning classes? I really don't care about the gym, once the spinning classes are of hardcore anaerobic fitness brilliance!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

shebop wrote: »
    once the spinning classes are of hardcore anaerobic fitness brilliance!
    Anaerobic is a technical word which literally means without air (where "air" is generally used to mean oxygen), as opposed to aerobic.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Who uses Kingfisher at NUIG - is it particularly busy in the mornings now that students are back? Anyone know the current prices/deals for the general public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

ciotog wrote: »
    Who uses Kingfisher at NUIG - is it particularly busy in the mornings now that students are back? Anyone know the current prices/deals for the general public?

Back off, leave our student gym alone! :mad:

(still bitter that it's not a real college gym)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

gary82 wrote: »
    Back off, leave our student gym alone! :mad:

(still bitter that it's not a real college gym)
    Seems to be the attitude of the staff there as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

What are the cheaper/cheapest gyms in Galway at the moment?

Was a member in Radisson a last year for a while but injured my knee and also lost my job so I quit the place. Was extremely expensive but you got what you paid for.

I'm very bad at motivating myself so a place with staff that are good for that type of thing would be a major plus for me. Actually turning up to the gym isn't my problem, it's just the motivation to put the required effort in that eludes me.

Jobless again unfortunately, so personal trainers to supplement the gym membership are a bit of a non-runner.

I've gotten very unfit and overweight in the last few years, so I'd better get this sorted sharpish.

If I got fit enough to be able to withstand an hour of 5-a-side, I'd be happy out and would do that every evening I could, in addition to gym work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I paid 250 for the use of the gym and pool in the Kingfisher for the year (student rate). I'm mostly only interested in the pool as swimming is helping to strengthen my back after a few muscular problems during the Summer. It's of a really high standard from a casual swimmer's POV; clean, well supervised and generally quiet. Since it's mostly a student/older adult user-base people are very considerate towards other users and I haven't seen the pool anything like busy since the first weekend in September when we first signed up.

The gym I can't really say much about; there's a huge amount of equipment and weights and a lot of enthusiasts in and out so if you're interested in meeting like-minded folk I doubt it's too difficult. Another bonus with membership at the Kingfisher is that you can book an appointment with fitness advisors/dieticians etc for no added fee; they will then give you a breakdown of your body composition and reccomend forms of exercise geared around what it is you want to do (weight loss, building up muscle strength, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

shebop wrote: »
    ::bumping this::

Any spinning addicts? Can you tell me the best gym for the best spinning classes? I really don't care about the gym, once the spinning classes are of hardcore anaerobic fitness brilliance!

i would definately stay away from the Kingfisher Renmore if you want to do spinning. tried it here last year and they had converted their storage room behind one of the studios in the "spinning rooms". there are no windows in this room and ~15 people giving it wellie on the bikes...well it was disguisting and cramped..i had to leave cos there was no air to breathe! their bikes were new but a bit hit and miss also

they could have changed the room agains since...and i hope they have but if not i would stay away

im also interested in finding a spinning class if anyone has good recommendations?
    also anyoen know if NRG in Bohermore does pay as you go to the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

Does anyone know how much the Kingfisher in the NUIG is for a student with a student card?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

NUIG Kingfisher is €250 for students. Good value but gets very busy in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

The joining fee for NUIG Kingfisher is 250euro for students of NUIG only, for students from other colleges the fee is 450euro. This is due to NUIG students having paid some of the gym fees in their registration at the start of the year, I know its stupid but thats just the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Peak Physique at the Galway shopping centre is €149 for a student for a year. Granted it's sans swimming pool but it does the job pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Peak Physique at the Galway shopping centre is €149 for a student for a year. Granted it's sans swimming pool but it does the job pretty well.

Whats this place like? Busy? I've never used a gym before and I'm concerned it'll be a little intimidating! Does Peak Physique have staff that will happily show me how to use the equipment? Sounds stupid but I'm clueless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Peak Physique at the Galway shopping centre is €149 for a student for a year.
    Is this definite? What are the facilities of the place?
    Not looking for anything special but would like to start going back to the gym (for cheap) and is pretty close to the house so no excuses.

Advertisement