Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.rte.ie/tv50/galleryarchive.html

Today's picture

00057fc6-970.jpg
    Traffic passing by Clery's department store on O'Connell Street in Dublin, including the No. 10 bus, a Garda car and a taxi, March 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Rashers wrote: »

1953.jpg

Now

Dnc1b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 whirlagigwitch

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Soundsphere

I really love this thread. And it's interesting to see how cities change over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭older i get better i was

sugarman wrote: »
    The photo is from the other side of college green looking down D'olier street. Looks like it was taken from the roof of Trinity there.

See here!

I presume you mean westmoreland street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I presume you mean westmoreland street?
    missed_the_boat.jpg:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Found these today on a Russian Site ...Ireland around 1932-1935. Dublin , Wicklow, Tralee & Limerick.

Google Trans=
    Taken by "Branson Deco"who in the early 20th century, traveled almost the whole world, in search of the most interesting and beautiful places on earth. Thousands of pictures made by him were later collected into a huge book - a series of illustrated lectures under the title «Dream Pictures» («Fantastic views"). From black and white photographs were made colored glass slides, to show images of a large audience via a projector. Coloring slides studied by the author himself, from memory, and though some pictures may be found inaccurate, they are unlikely to spoil the viewing experience of these historic images.

Part 1

7191061ytm.jpg
    7191062e2d.jpg
    7191063nx8.jpg
    7191064yf8.jpg
    7191065hz7.jpg
    7191066r15.jpg
    7191067lfp.jpg
    7191074nn8.jpg
    7191073n6b.jpg
    7191080ngq.jpg
    7191079pkj.jpg
    7191072luj.jpg
    7191071o5y.jpg
    7191078dwc.jpg
    7191077arq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Part 2

7191070j3t.jpg
    7191076t2m.jpg
    7191069rys.jpg
    7191075gnh.jpg
    7191068s3t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/vanishing-dublin

Some of the photos have a link to today's streetview which can be pretty interesting - unfortunately not enough do though. I've picked out a few of my favourites below.

One of the best names of any Dublin street I've come across - Thundercut Alley (looking from Queen Street down towards the Lighthouse cinema is now)

011thundercutalleyprevi.jpg

Peat's on Parnell Street in 1970

072parnellstreetpreview.jpg

Parnell Street in 1987 before the Ilac Centre was built

073parnellstreetpreview.jpg

Not too much has changed here

074nationalballroomprev.jpg

The Elbow Inn on Mary Street

079elbowinnpreview.jpg

Another photo of the same pub but with a business card for an off licence attached. I doubt you'd get away with the slogan these days

elbow480.jpg

Corner of Westmoreland Street and D'Olier Street

096westmorelandstreetpr.jpg

Bike shop on Upper Abbey Street in 1967

098abbeystreetpreview.jpg

Merchants Arch in 1974

106merchantsarchpreview.jpg

Upper Camden Street in 1972. This is where the Bleeding Horse is now, they must have redesigned the road layout subsequently

140falconinnpreview.jpg

Sir John Rogersons Quay in the 80s

142gasometerpreview.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 whirlagigwitch

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DominoDub wrote: »
    Part 2

Can you tell me where the pic of the person hugging the granite cross came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great pictures ullu.
    ullu wrote: »
    Parnell Street in 1987 before the Ilac Centre was built

073parnellstreetpreview.jpg
    I'd say that picture is from the 1970's. The Iliac Centre was built in the early 1980's IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Great pictures ullu.

I'd say that picture is from the 1970's. The Iliac Centre was built in the early 1980's IIRC.

Actually, reckon it is the 80's - The Ilac is already built (you can see it sneaking into picture on the right hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Actually, reckon it is the 80's - The Ilac is already built (you can see it sneaking into picture on the right hand side
    Yes - it looks obvious now! Apologies. The street was also widened considerably after that.

Yes - it looks obvious now! Apologies. The street was also widened considerably after that.

Amazing the amount of heritage that was lost for pointless road widening - Cuffe st, Kevin st, Patrick st, New st, Clanbrassil st, Parnell st, Cork st, High st - had they have been left as was, we'd have a dense, bustling city full of character. Instead we have a broken city, seperated by intimidating traffic islands and miles and miles of dead frontage

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Great pictures ullu.

I got the 1987 info from the direct link but you're obviously right about the Ilac Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Anyone got any photos/recollections of the Royal Hibernian Hotel? My Dad worked there for years. I only ever recall it as the Hibernian, but the internet tells me it was the Royal Hibernian (I was very young!)

Pic below stolen from the Internet

pcd-dawson-street.jpg

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Anyone got any photos/recollections of the Royal Hibernian Hotel? My Dad worked there for years. I only ever recall it as the Hibernian, but the internet tells me it was the Royal Hibernian (I was very young!)

Pic below stolen from the Internet

pcd-dawson-street.jpg

6351368320_35022c9c17_z.jpg

Former 'Royal Hibernian Hotel', Dawson Street, Dublin, 14 October 1984

attachment.php?attachmentid=68735&d=1304255589

Christmas 1953, 'Royal Hibernian Hotel', Dawson Street

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Really nice pics there, I only have very vague memories of the place, I was 8 when it was demolished. I also stole a look at your flickr stream mate, some really great photos there. You know your cars too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Former 'Royal Hibernian Hotel', Dawson Street, Dublin, 14 October 1984

I remember it in that state, and watched the demolition of it while queuing for a passport, maybe 1985 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Would anyone have any photos from the old Barnstormer's pub?.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

wow - what a great thread. I stumbled across it looking for information on Eamonn MacThomais's "Dublin - A Personal View"; my mam came across a VHS tape which my dad must have made 20+ years ago of this series and she's badgered me into putting it onto DVD for her so I wanted some background information on the episodes. Looks like I'll be meandering down memory lane though for a while now; cheers folks :)

^^^

I'd love a copy of the DVD if you do manage to get it converted. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Would anyone have any photos from the old Barnstormer's pub?.

Javon Tasty Manger, I'm looking out my window now at the spot where barnstormers used to stand.
    I'll have a root around. I defo have some pics of the inside when I played a few gigs there and few when it changed it's name to The fusion Bar.
    I'll try find them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Upstairs in The Fusion bar(Barnstormers) circa 1995

193788.jpg

That's me on the far left playing guitar

The Master wrote: »
    Upstairs in The Fusion bar(Barnstormers) circa 1995

193788.jpg

That's me on the far left playing guitar

I have some unsettling memories of this place. Where was it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yukontree

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Not sure if this has covered on here,but,does anyone know when they changed the direction of the traffic on the quays in Dublin.

I've seen footage that shows traffic on the northside quays heading towards Hueston,and the southside heading towards the docks.

The footage looks as though it was shot in the 60's,so was wondering when they changed.

Thanks..

Traffic flow on the quays was reversed in August 1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yukontree

Great pictures alright.

What I find interesting is that many of the tenements are still standing and give those streets a 'built-up' feel. Several years later most of them were demolished and what we had left were vast areas of wasteland around those streets. It would be great to get a few pics of Gardiner Street/Summerhill from about 1987 when the country was on it's knees. My memory of those areas are empty spaces full of rubbush and mattresses, propped up gable ends and ad hoc skanger car parks everywhere.

Incidently, can anyone remember when they widened the junction of Summerhill and Gardiner Street Middle. I was thinking about it the other day when passing. Summerhill was much narrower then, about half the width it is now, so they widened the end of it from the junction back to Langrishe Place. I remember the roadworks but can't recall if it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago.

Another memory is the IDA building there sticking out like a sore thumb. They planted a few creepers around it and now it's almost totally hidden. :)

Summerhill was widened in 1988 I was working in Telecom Eireann and was involved in moving cables from the existing footpaths to the side of the proposed new carraigeway ie the traffic lanes heading from Parnell Street towards Rutland Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

^^^

I'd love a copy of the DVD if you do manage to get it converted. :)

+1

Advertisement