Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Not too sure, kinda looks like Ormond Quay to me. I got them as screengrabs from an old film of the Liffey swim, around about 1926 IIRC.

First one looks to me like the junction of Lower Ormond Quay and Swift's Row (Jervis St.) so the buildings on the left would nowadays be The Morrison Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Out of Dublin, part I.

A documentary about inner city residents being moved out to the suburbs.

Part II.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Love this:
    Stephen's Green West to Parnell Street by car in 1974

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Same feckin' jaywalkers back then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Eamon Mac Thomais walking tour of Dublin around 82/83
    Theres loads more on Youtube including Thomas Street, The Liberties, CornMarket etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I didn't make it on this clip but managed to get my mug into the book itself 'Where Were You', thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been answered already, but these were formerly the base of electric tram poles. When the tram system was removed, they simply cut the pole off leaving the base, which people then used as makeshift bins. There are some of these poles still in situ, converted to ordinary steet lights, such as the examples seen on the Merrion/Rock Rd.

The newsboys knew how to use the tram/lamp poles/litter bins too.....

newsboy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Rashers wrote: »
    The newsboys knew how to use the tram/lamp poles/litter bins too.....

newsboy.jpg
    THe lad with the newspapers is john mc cabe (rip) originally from st marys mansions facing lourdes church, some of you might have known the family? does anyone know the chap on the right of the picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/

Just out today could be very interesting, maps, history.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Tango One

You don't get queues like that any more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Tango One wrote: »
    You don't get queues like that any more!

is that taken in jervis street where maplin/smyths toys is now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Looks more like Fleet street to me - old ESB shop just where the Honda 50 is and the goose-stepping woman and her pals are standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Tango One

Gaspode wrote: »
    Looks more like Fleet street to me - old ESB shop just where the Honda 50 is and the goose-stepping woman and her pals are standing.
    Spot on Gaspode, Its my Dad's old shop Arrow Electric(thunder road cafe is next to the shop today). It was taking around September 78, people were queuing for cheap toys for Christmas, he had imported from Russia. I found a couple of the ad's he saved too. We still have one of the old german tanks he sold which my nephew still play with.

Cool, I dont think I remember the shop, but the red brick buildings are stuck in my memory. I dated a girl from Ballyfermot for a while waaaaaaay back in the early 80s and waited across the road from there for her bus to come in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

G.P.O_Rally.gif

This is an odd photograph of Michael Collins in College Green, 1922. It's on page 6 of today's Irish Times. I had to look at it for a minute or two because it didn't look like College Green? I thought it was the GPO with Henry Street to the right. If you have today's paper hold the picture in front of a mirror and you will see that the photo is actually back to front and you also notice Foster Place to the left of the bank where it should be.:confused:

:o Yes, sugarman you're right and I'm mortified - absolutely morto that I didn't recognize the bank - believe it or not I was born less than a mile away in Dublin 1. When I saw the facade of the building I thought it was where President Obama addressed the crowd last May and wondered how could the building be on the left of the photo. It never occurred to me that the facade in the picture was on the D'Olier Street side. Anyway the Central bank can be photographed from Trinity and can appear on both the left and right of the picture. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Love this tread.

Would anyone have photos of Wood Street. My Dad is in his eighties now and often talks about Dublin in the rare old times. I would love to see the street were he lived as it now modernised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

From the dublin.ie forum

"Only pic I've ever seen of Wood St is this one."

4t62oy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sugarman wrote: »
    The photo is from the other side of college green looking down D'olier street
    It never occurred to me that the facade in the picture was on the D'Olier Street side
    Presumably you both mean Westmoreland Street. D'Olier Street can't be seen from College Green.

Yes :o I'm confusing D'Olier St and Westmoreland St. I've passed up and down them a million and one times!!
    Absolutely morto part two :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1013.jpg

(above: Newspaper report on the DMP riot in Corporation Buildings, 1913)

Not a video or a picture, but I recorded a one hour + interview recently about the North Inner City Folklore Project with the director of the project Terry Fagan, and it might interest a lot of you. Topics covered include Frank Duff and the Legion of Mary's campaign in Monto, the north inner city and the revolutionary period, the 1913 lockout and more besides. It's a fascinating listen.

I uploaded the audio over here. Cheers, and thanks to all who contribute to this amazing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

pearsestfire11.jpg

Three Dublin firefighters lost in the Pearse Street disaster, the worst fire in the history of the Dublin Fire Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Horse Trams at corner of Bachelor's Walk and O'Connell Bridge circa 1897

Picture-524.jpeg

Taken from National Library of Ireland flickr stream

The railway bridge hasn't changed much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Horse Trams at corner of Bachelor's Walk and O'Connell Bridge circa 1897

Picture-524.jpeg

Taken from National Library of Ireland flickr stream

The railway bridge hasn't changed much!

the only striking difference is butt bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

John Molloy's Dublin from 1976 shows various places around the city at that time.
    It's on the RTE Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 whirlagigwitch

Dublin, 1988 narrated by Lar Redmond, video directed by the late Mick Mooney and stills by Arthur Browne, produced for millenium year.

http://getoutofthatgarden.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

flynnc8 wrote: »
    45%2520grafton%2520st.gif&usg=AFQjCNG7RgjpHX-VqkPUHwBo-LuHHXjUew

Can anyone guess where this is?

5xqrlv.jpg

Better late than never, just seen the original post date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

What street is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Grafton Street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Grafton St near the Green.

Advertisement