Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nicest restaurants in offaly!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 shiftyshift

Just had fantastic meal in Cafe India, Tullamore last night, the place was buzzing with atmosphere, very attentive waiters (1 irish) There were 6 of us and the bill came to €128 (we brought our own wine - although their wine list is impressive) The starters were substantial and the main courses were divine ... hadn't been before but will definitely be back (all 6 of us!!) (maybe tonight!!):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cherrycola wrote: »
    What are the opening times for Clonmore?

Its not somewhere i ever think of for a meal to be honest. Last time i was there was for a christening, and the food was excellent and the place itself nice and quiet, bit like what Moorhill used to be like back in the day.

I dunno, I'll google it and see.

Wow, nice website actually. That looks new enough too. A lot more info. There's menus http://www.clonamorehouse.com/restaurant.html and there's testimonials from TripAdvisor http://www.clonamorehouse.com/test.html

I got a voucher for my folks there before, as a Christmas present, as its only across the fields from the homeplace (although, being adults, we have to use the roads now :D )

Just had fantastic meal in Cafe India, Tullamore last night, the place was buzzing with atmosphere, very attentive waiters (1 irish) There were 6 of us and the bill came to €128 (we brought our own wine - although their wine list is impressive) The starters were substantial and the main courses were divine ... hadn't been before but will definitely be back (all 6 of us!!) (maybe tonight!!):):):):):):)

Sounds good. What brings you to Boards? Welcome and looking forward to many more posts across a 'range' of subjects.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Ive only eaten in Jamies once, and that was when they were on Harbour St, they werent long open, and people were raving about them. To be honest i wasnt impressed and havent been back since.

One of my favourite places is the Acorn, it can be like sitting in someones living room when its not busy, but i love the food, especially the red snapper! Havent been in a few years, do they still only open a few days a week? Is the food still good?

I have to agree re Jamies. wouldn't be my cup of tea. I have only been to the Acorn twice but they're nice people, its run very well and the food was great.

Someone tells me Delicious Café has closed down? Very little or NO warning to staff. Very bad form. That's how Jim's Country Kitchen was handled also. Distasteful stuff. I heard (may not be true) that some of the young ones that worked there were approached by people downtown on the Sunday asking them what was going on up in Harbour Street as there was stuff being moved out. THAT was the first they heard their jobs were over. If that's true, and I don't know if it is, then shame on the owner. That is NOT how you operate in a business-friendly town like Tullamore.

Edit. That's been verified: - http://www.offalyindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/12/09/4008087-staff-speak-out-on-abrupt-closure-of-their-workplace/

"One worker got her P45 last Tuesday. "You're never prepared," she said. "I haven't a clue what to do. I'm sad that the business is gone but I don't appreciate how it was done. I'm angry at that, definitely. You don't treat somebody like that."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I didnt even notice Cafe Delicious was gone, and i drive down Harbour St every morning! :eek:

That is pretty bad form for the staff alright, god love them, so close to Christmas. :(

In relation to Cafe India's 'glowing' report....:rolleyes: While i agree, their food is really tasty, i have to report that the last three times we have ordered takeaway from them(and yes, we did go back and order again after each incident! :o ), we found a hair in the food each time!! :eek:

So we are done with them now unfortunately. Ok, a hair wont kill us, and im sure they didnt put it there on purpose, but jaysus, come on, three times in a row!! Someone needs to sort out their personal hygiene or kitchen cleanliness!

And weirdly, it seems to be in the paratha every time! Thankfully i dont eat the paratha, but its turned me off ordering anything from them now. Which is a pity cos i love the food there. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yeah you did, so good it was that you thought "must go and register on boards.ie " :rolleyes:

I've been reading various threads on boards for the past few years and i never got round to registering, i suppose now is a good a time as any

I'd have to agree with you there, the Thatch is a top class restaurant, lashings of tasty food and lovely staff, they couldn't do enough for us. I love the style of the place too.:)

Have been reading boards for ages, came across a thread about restaurants in offaly and it was relevant to me, so i registered and gave my opinion, isn't that what this place is about? hope you're not sceptical of new members!

Have been reading boards for ages, came across a thread about restaurants in offaly and it was relevant to me, so i registered and gave my opinion, isn't that what this place is about? hope you're not sceptical of new members!

'Sceptical' is often a mis-used word. It does not mean dismissive, moreso open-minded awaiting concrete proof or otherwise. I reiterate my welcome and hope your posting will be varied and helpful. We all need to post our info on Boards to make our decision-making as informed as possible. I'm sure everyone agrees with that. When your first post is a glowing report of a particular business, it does tend to set alarm bells off. Hopefully you'll forgive that and prove the doubters wrong by posting congruently on many issues going forward, seeing as you have been observing for so long. Now that you're registered, get stuck in !!

• Advertisement

Thank you an Ri Rua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I always mix up both those Indian places - Whats the one behind g&t drapery? and then there's one in that little mall thing, near quigleys? I prefer the one near quigleys, find the staff and food a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭leoch

the walabong was a great place does anyone know if it is still there and muncels out by cloncolig is good aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

I had a nice feed in The Aquarium last week. Barely anyone there but the food was OK. Four course for 20 quid, €7 extra for the steak and it was yum. The starter chicken wings were lovely and so was the steak but the potatoes were luke warm and veg was too hard and plain. Desert was one of the nicest cheesecake's I've ever had... and i've had a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Redbeard K

leoch wrote: »
    the walabong was a great place does anyone know if it is still there and muncels out by cloncolig is good aswell

Billabong (?) is closed a few years, Ray there did great food but got out of the game, Maunsells I find hit and miss tbh. Chef from Clonmore house moved down to the bridge recently so gonna give that a shot. not the Balcony Italian though, weak at best.

Advertisement