Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nicest restaurants in offaly!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

mirchi-Edenderry

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Guys I tried the new tapas menu in Anatolia last night and it was top class. I've eaten there a few times before but they've revamped the place and changed the menus. Anyone else try it? www.anatolia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

pablo21 wrote: »
    Guys I tried the new tapas menu in Anatolia last night and it was top class. I've eaten there a few times before but they've revamped the place and changed the menus. Anyone else try it? www.anatolia.ie

Man I've been wanting to try that place for years!

was in turkey few years ago and loved the food

Damn near booked it for family get-together last year but then everyone was like "do they do spuds?" "is the meat alright in there" "your grandmother won't eat anything spicy":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Ah its a safe spot to bring the family, plenty of spuds, lots of steak's etc! Nobody will be stuck! They used to do a starter called hunters borek or something like that, it was just spiced meat in a coquette type thing but my god it was tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Love the Acorn in tullamore, but really craving an indian today. <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

but really craving an indian today. <3

might be able to help ya, around what age?

LOL Dusty, I take em anyway I can get em!

(Offtopic: I was out in your country today!!! Ballinagar just reminds me of knackerdrinking in Neds way back in the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    mirchi-Edenderry

MIRCHi
    Dont get me started on that place!

They were advertising a romantic "3 course meal" for couples a few months ago, so myself and the other half decided to avail of the offer.
    We had 2 starters, 2 mains and no dessert.
    Upon going to pay at the end of the meal, we were told we had to pay extra for the other starter! As in their opinion we had 4 courses, and if we had dessert we would have had to pay for this also!
    So to sum up, their idea of a 3 course meal was 3 dishes, and if this was the cases it would mean us both sharing a starter!
    So just beware!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chubi

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in Birr? Staying in the County Arms in a few weeks so would like to venture into the town for a bite to eat and a few pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Chubi wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in Birr? Staying in the County Arms in a few weeks so would like to venture into the town for a bite to eat and a few pints?

You won't go wrong at The Thatch in Crinkill, excellent food!
    And IMHO just as quick to walk to The Thatch as to walk in to Birr town from the County Arms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sid Ie

Galileos in Edenderry. I'm a sucker for italian food! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Try the Acorn in Tullamore, Carmel will always look after you and her food is gorgeous! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacban

if your looking for great food at a very reasonable price you wont find better than THE MILLHOUSE IN CLARA, its small but dont let that put you off, the food is fab and the place is spotless;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jacban wrote: »
    if your looking for great food at a very reasonable price you wont find better than THE MILLHOUSE IN CLARA, its small but dont let that put you off, the food is fab and the place is spotless;)

Quoth the first time poster.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Tried the Blue Apron in Tullamore a few weeks ago, very good. I'm generally not a fan of eating out in the Midlands as it seems every menu is the same, but they did the traditional menu well with a few twists and surprises on there as well. Tullamore really needed a change, so really happy to see it. Let's hope it doesn't go downhill like Anatolia. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

Lily Garden in Edenderry....amazing salt and pepper prawns!!

Went to Jamies two weeks ago. Food was alright. Was in at 6:30, got our starters at 7:00, and we were approached at 5 to 8 and was basically told to hurry up as our table was needed. I understand they had other bookings but we had just gotten dessert (literally just brought to us) and the two girls I was with had to leave their coffee, despite being asked if they wanted tea/coffee.

Never have I encountered such awful service or manners. Food was nice though, I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Went to Jamies two weeks ago. Food was alright. Was in at 6:30, got our starters at 7:00, and we were approached at 5 to 8 and was basically told to hurry up as our table was needed. I understand they had other bookings but we had just gotten dessert (literally just brought to us) and the two girls I was with had to leave their coffee, despite being asked if they wanted tea/coffee.

Never have I encountered such awful service or manners. Food was nice though, I guess.

Thats not good enough really.

If they keep that up they won't be getting so many bookings.

It's why I won't be going back. It's never happened in the bridge house, or the acorn, or siroccos, or any other restaurant I've been in lately.

It's the second negetive experience i've had with jamies and I won't have a 3rd one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Ive only eaten in Jamies once, and that was when they were on Harbour St, they werent long open, and people were raving about them. To be honest i wasnt impressed and havent been back since.

One of my favourite places is the Acorn, it can be like sitting in someones living room when its not busy, but i love the food, especially the red snapper! Havent been in a few years, do they still only open a few days a week? Is the food still good?

• Advertisement

Last time I was there was a Saturday night and the lady that welcomed us was just the sweetest woman ever. I didn't like our seats but the food was outstanding, I'd go as far as saying the nicest in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lulu3

I've been in jamie's many times and have been given my bill to accomadate others diners in after me but I've always been told before hand that they've needed my table back by a certain time as this only happens on Saturday nights cuz there so busy... And I do usually leave it till last min to book table, but it never bothers me as it's usually a fast service they provide and I'm normally done by done by time I'm supposed to be out.... I can't complain bout service or food as far as I can see there are the only ones that are buzzing on a weekend night and that's go to say something!!!

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    Tried the Blue Apron in Tullamore a few weeks ago, very good. I'm generally not a fan of eating out in the Midlands as it seems every menu is the same, but they did the traditional menu well with a few twists and surprises on there as well. Tullamore really needed a change, so really happy to see it. Let's hope it doesn't go downhill like Anatolia. :/
    After been in most restaurants in tullamore I decided to try this new one that opened well let's just say I WILL NOT be returning back again.... We were met at the door by a woman who looked like she really didn't want to be there... We were seated at our table which was ok.. Have to say interior was lovely but that's about all that was... I had pork belly for mains and my husband had the lamb shanks with rump I think... Pork belly was not nice at all Wasnt crispy like other places I tried before.. my husbands lamb shanks were a joke 2 little sheets of lamb and the smallest piece of rump were on the plate with 1 piece of broccoli & pureed carrot I think as well... He wasn't impressed at all!!! Lack of flavour from both main courses.... I was so disappointed as I heard good things about this place!!! Staff are not friendly oh I later found out that the lady who greeted us is in fact the owner!!!!

Lulu3 wrote: »
    I've been in jamie's many times and have been given my bill to accomadate others diners in after me but I've always been told before hand that they've needed my table back by a certain time as this only happens on Saturday nights cuz there so busy... And I do usually leave it till last min to book table, but it never bothers me as it's usually a fast service they provide and I'm normally done by done by time I'm supposed to be out.... I can't complain bout service or food as far as I can see there are the only ones that are buzzing on a weekend night and that's go to say something!!!

Jamie?! :D:D

Cherrycola wrote: »

Jamie?! :D:D
    Excuse me??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Excuse me??

It was a joke, to suggest that your first post on the site was such a glowing appraisal of a restaurant that you must be Jamie himself.

I have to admit that I considered making the same joke myself but knew you wouldn't get it, and explaining it, kind of takes the 'funnies' out of it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Excuse me??

It was a joke, to suggest that your first post on the site was such a glowing appraisal of a restaurant that you must be Jamie himself.

I have to admit that I considered making the same joke myself but knew you wouldn't get it, and explaining it, kind of takes the 'funnies' out of it.
    :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was in Clonamore House for lunch this week as part of a work thing. Was never there before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But I am delighted to report the food was excellant. Good traditional grub. I ordered the chicken and Ham. Chicken came on the bone, huge portion, cooked really well as it wasn't at all dry. The ham was a good sized chunk and again well cooked. The Spuds, Stuffing, Veg and gravy were all lovely too. I think it only cost €11.

Didn't have to pay for parking which is a bonus in Tullamore on a week day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I was in Clonamore House for lunch this week as part of a work thing. Was never there before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

But I am delighted to report the food was excellant. Good traditional grub. I ordered the chicken and Ham. Chicken came on the bone, huge portion, cooked really well as it wasn't at all dry. The ham was a good sized chunk and again well cooked. The Spuds, Stuffing, Veg and gravy were all lovely too. I think it only cost €11.

Didn't have to pay for parking which is a bonus in Tullamore on a week day.

Well said. Glad to hear they're still on the ball. Sweeneys were always on the ball, long may Frank & co continue. Very under-rated spot. I go a few times a year and, particularly if you get a group together, it can be a really nice venue altogether. Decent, hardworking people, formerly of sweeneys / Franks, the pub before Loughreys incarnation etc => Was always the best place in Tullamore for hot lunches.

• Advertisement

What are the opening times for Clonmore?

Its not somewhere i ever think of for a meal to be honest. Last time i was there was for a christening, and the food was excellent and the place itself nice and quiet, bit like what Moorhill used to be like back in the day.

Advertisement