Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nicest restaurants in offaly!!

Options
  • 20-03-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just starting a thread to see what peoples favourite places to eat in the faithful county!

mine has to be the thatch in crinkle (just outside Birr for those of you who dont know!), good range of fab food. But make sure you are starving when you go in because the portion sizes are HUGE!! reasonably priced too and service in excellent!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

I love the variety of restaurants in Tullamore. My favourites are, in no particular order: -

The Bridge House Restaurant - Fantastic food, veggies seem to be soooo fresh, really good value for money.

Wolftrap - Went there for the Christmas Party food fantastic, can't wait to try it again.

Yadgar (Indian) - Yummy so delicious especially the Honey and Banana Korma - though its so hard to get the bill off them and leave the place.

Anatolia - again yummy - not as good value for money as the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marianne11

Tullamore has plenty of variety of eating places. Italian is my favourite and the best place is Siroccos Italian on Patrick street. Its always busy and the staff are great. If im not eating Italian, the the Bridge House or Anatolia come next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

For great and I mean great barfood and service, ie, Sunday stuff, instead of a restaurant, i'd say loughreys or Brewerry Tap anyday.

For a restaurant, there's nothing to touch jamie's on Harbour st. Anatolia service, I've found it iffy and that's not good enough when prices are similar.

Outside of Offaly, but close enough. I would have to say Silver Room at Middleton park House, or Spagos in the Heritage. seriously classy affairs yet not much more than you'd pay for so so service and food elsewhere. Oh and please, don't bang on about county borders! They are a foreign invention mostly in these parts anyway! eat like an Irish chieftain and make the journey.

Oh yeh, and if you like great breakfasts? maidin gheal in Ferbane. Holey Moley can they cook...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

The Bridge House- like fathers day or whatever.
    Jamies- Usually on a friday night, family meal.
    Siroccos- Lovely food too.
    The court hotel is pretty good too.

White house for quick lunch whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The Shishir at the top of the High Street does amazing Indian and Thai food and at very reasonable prices too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

lizt wrote: »
    The Shishir at the top of the High Street does amazing Indian and Thai food and at very reasonable prices too!

I've had my first taste of Indian food here a couple of weeks ago, what can I say, Scrumdiddleyumcious! Had a takeaway from an Indian restaurant in Athlone (can't remember the name near the river at the car park) last week but preferred the Shishir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I've had my first taste of Indian food here a couple of weeks ago, what can I say, Scrumdiddleyumcious! Had a takeaway from an Indian restaurant in Athlone (can't remember the name near the river at the car park) last week but preferred the Shishir.

That Indian restaurant in Athlone is the Saagar...a strange place it is too....

That Indian restaurant in Athlone is the Saagar...a strange place it is too....

Funny you should say that I got a strange feeling when I entered the reception area like I stepped back in time. The staff were really nice and friendly. I'll be going back again for a sit down meal and I can't wait to see the dining area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Funny you should say that I got a strange feeling when I entered the reception area like I stepped back in time. The staff were really nice and friendly. I'll be going back again for a sit down meal and I can't wait to see the dining area.

Yes, I get an occasional take out meal there, very nice indeed, but every time I go there it is empty. Also, their credit card machine thing is never working. They take your card and then say,'sorry not working, please get some cash, machine up the street...!' All with a smile though, and they'll usually throw in some poppadoms for the inconvenience...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

We were in Jamie's on Friday night, and the food was gorgeous. Really top notch and everyone in our group was pleased. House wine was acceptable too.

Have only been to Maunsells for carvery aside from that and it was nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ashley.

the bridge house is delicious! and a gorgeous hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

Jamie's and The Canton Regent (Chinese) are both amazing, both in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone who mentioned the bridge house being good should stop smoking there taist buds have died.

due to various stomack complaints ive vowed never to pass them bronze handled doors again.

if you want value for money try mc'ds . if you want nice food there are many other places to visit that are far nicer. one new place opened just a while ago ( maby a year ago ) on harbour st. its a bit pricey but you get what you pay for in life. cant remember the name of it for the life of me but its much better. they do lunches . else go to the court hotel

the acorn lower down the street is another lovely place that dose some dishes that you will not get anywhere else in offaly afaik.

Jamie's is very nice however i wouldnt be rushing back there in a hurry .

Siroccos - back up the other end of harbour st again is very nice but i find them very hit or miss. i have always enjoyed the food i got but i cant say i would be jumping for joy. they always took very long to get the food cooked. huge ammounts of food always served so its a bonus

the two indian's in the town i think are equally as good as eachother. i would alway leave there happy with what ive eaten. tho id place the Yadgar slightly ahead.

ive yet to try the new places on main street

my favorite chinease for the moment is the new star opposite the garda station . i know its not a top notch place . but its quiet relaxing the foods nice and the delivery's quick.

I'd say try Tyrellspass Castle the farside of Kilbeggan on the old N6. The dining area's can be a bit cramped (very little elbow room, I've nicknamed the one we get shuttled into regularly 'the broomcupboard') but the good grub makes up for the inconvenience. I have a weak spot for their Garlic Mushrooms so I order it every time. The Grilled Salmon, Chicken Kiev, Steak, Roast beef and deep fried Cod are all top notch. The mashed potato is always spot on. Three vegetables are usually served. There's usually a Pasta dish and a Curry dish on the menu. Presentation tickles your taste buds, a very big plus. All starters other than Soup are garnished well. The desert menu is the usual sweet tooth affair, with more than generous portions. Their Prawn Cocktail starter lets them down. Staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. A slice or two of Lemon in the jug of water wouldn't break the bank. Also the cutlery has seen better days. Having said that I'll still go back one or twice before Christmas for the Garlic Mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 oxoxnicolaoxox

Id recommend bridge house or the canton reagent any day also sirrocos is good too..........dont like jamies at all over priced and over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I can't believe that no has mentioned 'Paddy Fields'. By far the nicest and most reasonably priced food in Tullamore.

Outside Tullamore I'd try Larkins in Edenderry for some nice, but very reasonably priced food. Both there and Foys are pretty decent for pub grub with 'An Cun Cistin' being excellent for an all day fry up. Perfect for the Sunday morning hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Tried to book into Jamies last night but it was booked out.

Then went to Spagos in Portlaoise and there must have been 60+ people and 30+ people as the covers turned. I have to say I wasn't there since around about the time that they opened initially.

The place was buzzing, the food was excellent, seating spacious and staff were constantly watching but never obtrusive.

I have to say its my favourite restaurant experience between here and Dublin, bar none. And 2 bars in the Heritage to choose from. Great place, hope things keep rock n rolling for them.

Was in Shishir for lunch one Saturday, very impressed. Great people, top service and cheap on the pocket. (I was treated to lunch, but it was cheap on someone's pocket!!).

I find Siroccos are way off the mark over the years. Never been impressed. Horses for course however. Yaadgar will never disappoint. Very friendly again, like Shishir. On top of wow food.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Edenderry: A new restaurant opend-Mirchi-Cafe & Restaurant, very delicious food, try that,
    Mirchi is open 7 days for lunch as well as dinner.,

Since i am associated with that, i wont write anymore and leave people to taste and rank the place.

rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

I like the Bridge House

Mingey wrote: »
    I like the Bridge House
    Nah the food there lately is reheated garbage. The last time I got nice food there is at least three years ago. Its being going downhill since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I think the best person to answer that question,would be Brian Cowan caus he looks like he eat in most of them.

Funnily enough he is a regular in the Bridge House and is often seen having a few drinks in the hotel bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

You would wonder where he finds the time,next time you see him ask him the best eating house in Offaly.
    Larkins in Edenderry is very good and not pricey,also heard there is a new Indian ment to be very good also.

Yea Larkins is very nice. They have an early bird menu that is really good value at the weekends.

I don't like Indian food myself so I can't comment on the food in the new place but if the dedication of that guy that stands outside in hail rain or snow is anything to go by then it should be really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

I've got a few lovely meals in the golf club in Portarlington nice menu selection for all the courses and a deacent wine not too pricey.
    Does pub food count, if I'm in Tullamore during the day and am getting a dinner I find the Wolfetrap great.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Yea Larkins is very nice. They have an early bird menu that is really good value at the weekends.

I don't like Indian food myself so I can't comment on the food in the new place but if the dedication of that guy that stands outside in hail rain or snow is anything to go by then it should be really nice

thats the other one quizze, not the one mentioned,
    this one (Indian) is next to tesco petrol pump and in front of Lidl.
    no man is standing out in rain :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Nah the food there lately is reheated garbage. The last time I got nice food there is at least three years ago. Its being going downhill since

Is that in the Hotel or the buffet

In the buffet. Its been even longer since I've been in the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I went into the little restaurant in old part of the bridge house around november last. Got the steak, thought it was nice and wasnt left hungry anyways. Everyone to their own i suppose. Heve to say id no complaints that day. Not overly fond of the carvery there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 007phoenix

Yeah Saagar is the nicest Indian i have ever eaten way nicer than shisir or any other one. i got a takeaway and had a sit down in the restaraut good service and great food

Advertisement