Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Getting into It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Another convert here:rolleyes:

Started watching it last week and could not get into it. I did not know what was going on and so many new characters were being introduced.

I stuck with it though and I have to say it is fvcking superb, halfway through the second season now and (sad as it sounds:D) its the highlight of my day now.....I cant wait to watch each new episode.

It really is top class stuff if you can stick with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I heard that The Wire will be broadcast (from scratch) on BBC 2 from late March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

FX have started rebroadcasting it from season 1 about 3 weeks ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I heard that The Wire will be broadcast (from scratch) on BBC 2 from late March.

Where did you hear that ? No sign of it, so far, on www.radiotimes.com which covers today + 13 days (23 March).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/the-wire-comes-bbc2

The week beginning the 28th of March, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I actually got into it staight away.

Generation Kill was good, but I wish it had been longer. Still it held me over.

I'm having "Wire" re lapses, I'm about to start on S1 again lol.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've started watching last week and am onto S1EP4.

I have to say i'm enjoying it and am keen to see how it develops. I can't see what makes it 'the best TV drama' ever as some people have said, but we'll wait and see.

I currently class 'Entourage' as my No.1 stateside series, so we'll see if this beats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Bought the first series last weekend, have watched the first five episodes so far, I think it is terrific. It was recommended to me by two friends who (like me) don't watch a lot of TV. Another 4 and a half series to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Another recent convert here. I have watched the first 4 eps on FX and I can see it is a great show. I don't know how it passed me by until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

I'm another tentative watcher - myself and my boyfriend are big box-set fans, we watched The West Wing all the way through (IMO nothing I've seen has surpassed that show), then Nikita (not well known but really entertaining) and then The Sopranos (again, excellent), and then moved onto The Wire because the world and his mother seems to do nothing but sing the praises of this show. We're about half way through the first series and while it is enjoyable I'm still waiting to see what exactly makes this show the best thing since sliced bread - is certainly has some great characters but also has some pretty boring ones too, let's be honest.

But I have faith, I will persevere!

I'm just hoping that it's not a case of everyone jumping on the "it's brilliant" bandwagon just cos everyone says so...

LOL in a way I'm actually worried that if I don't warm to it I will be scorned as someone of zero intelligence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

jmcwobbles wrote: »
    I'm another tentative watcher - myself and my boyfriend are big box-set fans, we watched The West Wing all the way through (IMO nothing I've seen has surpassed that show), then Nikita (not well known but really entertaining) and then The Sopranos (again, excellent), and then moved onto The Wire because the world and his mother seems to do nothing but sing the praises of this show. We're about half way through the first series and while it is enjoyable I'm still waiting to see what exactly makes this show the best thing since sliced bread - is certainly has some great characters but also has some pretty boring ones too, let's be honest.

But I have faith, I will persevere!

I'm just hoping that it's not a case of everyone jumping on the "it's brilliant" bandwagon just cos everyone says so...

LOL in a way I'm actually worried that if I don't warm to it I will be scorned as someone of zero intelligence!

Don't worry, I was the exact same at that point. By about episode 10 you'll be in love with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Cina wrote: »
    Don't worry, I was the exact same at that point. By about episode 10 you'll be in love with it.

I'd agree with that, by ep 10 I was very engrossed.

Season 2 however is a bit of a let down at the moment. I'm on ep 5 and it doesn't have the same gleam as season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

delly wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, by ep 10 I was very engrossed.

Season 2 however is a bit of a let down at the moment. I'm on ep 5 and it doesn't have the same gleam as season 1.

Yeah it's not as good, still excellent though, and again it gets very good towards the end.

Seasons 3 and 4 are the best, I was hooked the whole way through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Season 2 is always overlooked the first time. I did the same myself,thought that it wasn't as good. But when you go back and watch it again it is an amazing season.

I think people feel a bit off about it at first because they make a very big change by introducing all these new characters and putting the focus on the docks.

Also,of course,each season has to be watched as a whole before it should be judged. It is written like a novel,each episode is a chapter and the whole season is the book,the whole storyline. It is not like most shows where everything is wrapped up after each episode and next week it is some new story.

Have now watched the first ten episodes of Series 1. Brilliant. Have already got Series 2 (HMV in Cork had run out of copies of series 2 and had to order it for me). I have watched each episode twice as it is quite complicated or maybe I'm quite stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Have now watched the first ten episodes of Series 1. Brilliant. Have already got Series 2 (HMV in Cork had run out of copies of series 2 and had to order it for me). I have watched each episode twice as it is quite complicated or maybe I'm quite stupid!

Not a bad way to do it. Keep things clear in the mind. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dan Dare wrote: »

Oh no the series is extremely layered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

rovert wrote: »
    Oh no the series is extremely layered.

I've watched the first 3 seasons, now watching season 1 again with the missus while she catches up with me.

I've a much better understanding of who is who in the Barksdale crew after the second viewing of season 1. I couldn't recall Stinkum or Little Man.

TarfHead wrote: »
    I've watched the first 3 seasons, now watching season 1 again with the missus while she catches up with me.

I've a much better understanding of who is who in the Barksdale crew after the second viewing of season 1. I couldn't recall Stinkum or Little Man.

There is an AWESOME season guide which some blogger did with two "streams" one for those watching it first time around and those who have season it more than once. Detailing all references to prior and subsequent episodes. Ill try to find it again.

Please do.:)

• Advertisement

Many thanks. Have last episode of series 1 to watch, then I will check out the Blog. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 orange squareht

Ive just watched the last of season 2 and im now on to season 3. My god a what a show I thought it was just going to be another trashy overhyped american show but its just pure class.

Just watched the start of season 3 and to be honest im really pissed off. Why do they need another english actor playing an american. Its the guy from "queer as folk" its really going to annoy me lets hope hes not in it too much because his fake accent is crap. He should have went to mcnultys accent coach! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Aidan Gillen is actually Irish.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Aidan Gillen is actually Irish.

Ahh yes your right sorry..hes a good actor but he still does a crap accent. I really hope he doesnt runi it for me!:(

He should have went to mcnultys accent coach! :rolleyes:

Seriously? I thought Aidan Gillen's accent was great whereas Dominic West's was very dodgy at times. You could hear his English accent come out several times. Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) probably has the best accent,he is English as well.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Seriously? I thought Aidan Gillen's accent was great whereas Dominic West's was very dodgy at times. You could hear his English accent come out several times. Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) probably has the best accent,he is English as well.

Yeah I thought Idris accent was brillant didnt realise he was English until I read his bio!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

tvnutz wrote: »
    I think people feel a bit off about it at first because they make a very big change by introducing all these new characters and putting the focus on the docks.

tvnutz, I'm sure this is just an oversight on your part... but mods, maybe you could put that in spoiler tags and delete this (my) post? I had already read it before exclaiming "ah for f*** sake" out loud... in work! :D

I wonder what it will be like to rewatch the series. I've not been following it on BBC 2. Some day I will get around to rewatching it on DVD, but I want to save it and get through other stuff first.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    tvnutz, I'm sure this is just an oversight on your part... but mods, maybe you could put that in spoiler tags and delete this (my) post? I had already read it before exclaiming "ah for f*** sake" out loud... in work! :D

That's not a spoiler,hence why I didn't put tags on it.Read the back of the dvd box and it tells you that,if its on tv the description tells you that,I mean the actual HBO tagline for the second season was "a new case begins".

Advertisement