Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Getting into It

Options
  • 19-03-2008 4:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Recently picked up season 1 on DVD, am about 6 episodes in and am enjoying it so far. It pretty much passed me by like several things but catching up on DVD seems to be the way to go and discover some gems.

Anyway, I look forward to see how it unfolds and I'll probably go for season 2 in due course.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you keep it up you will be well rewarded. I am yet to hear of a show that betters it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hey, thanks! Have made me way through the first two seasons now - hopefully I'll get to season 3 shortly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Right, I recently finished season 3 and after my exams I'll see if I can track down season 4.

I told the old fella to watch some and he watched the pilot and liked it but it I don't know how I'll get him to watch the rest as he can be quite busy. Bah, I'll find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

keep it up man after dexter and sopranos its the best show around

Ta. Have given the auld fella season one, he's about half way through it.

Still need to track down season 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Still need to track down season 4.

Not sure if you found it yet, but some xtravision have it. Not all of them mind you, Artane didn't have it for example, but I found a copy in Ballybrack.

Thanks.

Have watched season 4. Thought having
    Prez as a teacher was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

PeakOutput wrote: »
    keep it up man after dexter its the best show around
    LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

just after watching the first three episodes of series 1 and really enjoying it. Can't wait for it to really hit me proper. Oh ya, who would like to trade places with me and relive it all over again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

I'd be suprised if i ever see anything better on tv in my life!

Just finished the 5th series tonight,kinda sad!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crunchybar

Cheer up! At least now its a patronizing cultural reference point for investment-banker types. At home with their box-sets watching the credits roll...
    www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/1010/1223560344110.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 El Diablo89

Just started season 5 last night. I've heard its one of the best so hopefully:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I finally got around to starting this

I finished episode 2 last night. I've enjoyed it so far, infact I can see the potential there for me to get addicted anytime soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Another new Wire addict. Have just started Season 2 and rarely have I seen such an engaging, realistic and thought provoking piece of work in any medium. The series is just one epic narrative, uncompromising with the most fascinating characters and unexpected developments. It is such a complex work it really is remarkable to see it move on from episode to glorious episode. Have four series left to work through, so have a good bit of quality viewing ahead of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Upto episode 10 and basically echo what has been said just above. I can't think of 1 weak part of the show

A big clap to everyone who promoted this show, unlike a lot of hyped shows, this actually delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just finished Season 5 last night. The series was recommended to me by a friend. After I started watching Season 5 he said "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, there will probably never be another programme which can fill the void left in your life. Enjoy."

True. So very true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AlexK

Starting season 5 now (Episode 4) and Im now faced with the same feelings I had when I knew I was coming to the end of the Soprano's!!....

Such a shame I envy anybody just starting season 1

Season 3 has been my favourite so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have just finished season 4 and I too will be very sad to see the end of season 5, truly amazing television.

I think season 4 was my favourite so far because of the issues it deals with and how it shows what it must be like to live in an environment like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm up to S1 ep9. Really enjoying it so far.
    The scene where the two detectives reconstruct the path of the bullets in a crime scene while the only words they utter are "****", "**** it" and "**** me" is a classic.

Also as a big Homicide fan from way back its nice to see how many Homicide regulars appear in The Wire - Colonel Barnfother is the barman in the bad guy's bar, Luther Mahoney is the coroner, Callie Thorne (:D) is our hero's ex-wife, Clark "Meldrick Lewis" Johnson directs the first few eps and of course David Simon is the creative force. Did I miss anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got a lend of season 1 after a friend recommend it to me. Nearly at the end of season 1 and loving the show its just fantastic, great characters. Getting season 2 off him tomorrow.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Was recommended this show so i rented the complete first series.

I have watched 15 hours of the wire this weekend.

This is the best show ever. It makes me wonder why i bothered watching tv before this was made.

The only problem was that i had stuff to do this weekend but watched the wire instead. Im going to have to wait until i have alot of free time again before i rent the second series. I feel i may have slightly ruined it by rushing through it. I would like to watch it again befor i proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I'm up to S1 ep9. Really enjoying it so far.
    The scene where the two detectives reconstruct the path of the bullets in a crime scene while the only words they utter are "****", "**** it" and "**** me" is a classic.

Excellent scene. Very enjoyable! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AlexK

Well Im finished!

What an excellent tv show! top class from series 1-5!

What to watch next?....

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

the shield
    the corner and generation kill(from the same team as the wire)

that'll keep you going nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm finished Season 5 now, it feels like there's a big gap in my life now it's over. What a show, I'll probably never see better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I've watched the first 2 episodes, and I have to say, I just cannot get into it at all. It just seems so slow. I've been a massive fan of The Shield and suppose I'm trying to base it against that, but I honestly can't see how people would say The Wire is better than the shield. I really want to give it a chance after seeing how much praise its got, so please can anyone tell me where it actually "kicks off" from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've watched the first 2 episodes, and I have to say, I just cannot get into it at all. It just seems so slow. I've been a massive fan of The Shield and suppose I'm trying to base it against that, but I honestly can't see how people would say The Wire is better than the shield. I really want to give it a chance after seeing how much praise its got, so please can anyone tell me where it actually "kicks off" from?

Give it time, it took me 6 or 7 episodes in the first season to really get in to it. It starts slow but has a big bang in the last 3-4 episodes of Series 1.

Season 2 onwards is just pure addiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've watched the first 2 episodes, and I have to say, I just cannot get into it at all. It just seems so slow.

Tonnes of people say this and only to return stating they want to have it's babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rovert wrote: »
    Tonnes of people say this and only to return stating they want to have it's babies.

I was the same. I watched 5 episodes then gave up saying it was crap and nothing was happening. A week later I decided to give it another try. 3 weeks after that I finished the 5th season. Honestly man, stick with it. Its worth it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It is really hard not to sound like a zealot when saying YOU WILL LIKE IT to a person but the case of The Wire it is pretty much the truth. :P

Advertisement