Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas Petrol Bombing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

On rte website now http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0317/finglas.html?rss
    rte wrote:
    Dublin suburb patrolled after riots
    Monday, 17 March 2008 21:25

Gardai were called to Finglas in north Dublin this afternoon following reports of rioting amongst groups of youths in the area.

It is understood at least five cars were damaged in the incident in the Cardiffbridge Road area.

The situation is now calm, however gardaí from the Public Order Unit are maintaining a presence in the area.

There are no reports of any injuries so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

12 arrests over Dublin disturbances
    Monday, 17 March 2008 22:34

12 people have been arrested by gardaí in Dublin for public order offences following disturbances in the area earlier today.

The trouble started in Finglas, north-west Dublin at around 4pm today.

Gardaí say five cars were burnt out in the Cardiffbridge Road area during the day but the situation has settled down.
    Advertisement

Earlier gardaí from the public order unit had patrolling parts of Finglas.

They have now been withdrawn but gardaí are maintaining a presence in the area.

There are no reports of any injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

gurramok wrote: »

DSCN0194.jpg

gurramoks spot as he posted above, earlier on this afternoon

img0034ae7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

jaysus how did that van get there? daylight joyriding it seems

Jesus, thats some pic clown bag.

(only short clip on rte news you mentioned from ehre http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/ , no spectacular pics though like yours!)

I can see a tabloid have a field day tomorrow with headline 'Finglas riots out of control' which they were not at all as it was just some trouble in a tiny area of Finglas :mad:

Now boards has before and after pics of what happened...beat that tv stations and newspapers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XiLwlTrrcFo crappy quality, short but can make out the riot cops with there shields running around a bit.

also seems when you search finglas on youtube 90% of the videos are joyriders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I heard Degsy got a bad pint in the Cardiffsbridge and ran amok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

clown bag wrote: »
    gurramoks spot as he posted above, earlier on this afternoon

img0034ae7.jpg

God that looks like it was taken by an expert photographer that!! ;)

What chaos anyway yesterday. I was walking by just after four, could hear car screaming as I walked up Helena's Rd, followed by crash after crash, then the scene wasn't very welcoming at all when I turned the corner. Two vans on fire, one on it's side and smoke coming from further in as well.

Last night around 7 there was any amount of Garda around, wearing only jackets as indicator of who they were. When I got back to Finglas village I saw a few transits on the North Road with riot police getting in.

The grumpy taxi driver ignored my calls to avoid that area when I was eventually coming home last night but at 11:45pm there was a few in a garden with a police grabbing one of them, a transit nearby but the general warzone that it was, was by this time cleared.

I really hope the little bastards get a serious sentence for this. I remember growing up and groups of scum ****ers seeing it fit to rob loads of cars around and go to the fields etc. Our severe lenience with these proper scum bag bound bastards isn't very encouraging either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I took a wander up at around 6.30pm last night to have a look, you couldnt get in to Dunnes Car Park for the amount of people observing. I was speaking to a friend who said it kicked off at around 12.30pm but the police didnt turn up until 6pm. THey were probably all in town watching the parade :rolleyes:

irishbird wrote: »
    I took a wander up at around 6.30pm last night to have a look, you couldnt get in to Dunnes Car Park for the amount of people observing. I was speaking to a friend who said it kicked off at around 12.30pm but the police didnt turn up until 6pm. THey were probably all in town watching the parade :rolleyes:

well when I walked by, shortly after 4, the 2 vans were well burnt out so would say they were like that for at least an hour. As I walked up past Dunnes, a Garda car was parked there with two females in it, just watching, then a recovery truck and Transit with more police came and they went down.

• Advertisement

You mean to say I was within feet of boards most lickable poster and I didn't even realise it. :(

You mean to say I was within feet of boards most lickable poster and I didn't even realise it. :(

LOL - you sure were and you missed your chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, there wasn't really anything happening at that time really, just a load of kids standing around. And loads of spectators.
    :D

Does anyone know actually what happened to kick it off? or was it just boredom on the part of a few people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scumbags don't need reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Happens nearly every St Patricks day. They normally keep it to the fields down the back roads though. Guy in work was dragged from his car and beaten with a wrench. Then they burnt his car.

Twelve people arrested according to RTE. Doubt theyll do any serious time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I'd blame the Kaiser Chiefs for mentioning Riot in a song.

More from Ireland.com, think this is more accurate version. Lack of garda action probably due to lack of resources tallies with the trouble going on all afternoon till the gardai arrrived en masse late evening. http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0318/breaking20.htm
    Gardaí arrested 17 people during a spate of rioting and joyriding in north Dublin yesterday.

One man was reportedly dragged from his car and beaten up before it was torched.

Officers were called to Finglas yesterday morning after reports that a number of cars had been stolen and were being driven dangerously around the area.

Gardaí from Finglas dealt with three incidents of dangerous driving in the Berryfield Road and Glenties Drive area.

One of the cars that had been stolen was petrol-bombed later yesterday afternoon.

A group of around 60 youths gathered as the Dublin Fire Brigade tackled the fire.

As the numbers swelled and gardaí began to come under attack from the mob, the Garda Public Order Unit, assisted by the Garda Air Support Unit, was called in to deal with the disturbances.

Seventeen people were arrested for public order offences throughout the Finglas area. When the crowd had been dispersed, Dublin City Council removed six cars from Cardiffsbridge Road and Berryfield Road.

Later yesterday evening, a car was hijacked on Cardiffsbridge Road, while another hijack attempt was unsuccessful, a Garda spokesman said. He said there were "no serious injuries" reported.

Local Sinn Féin councillor Dessie Ellis claimed many of those involved in the violence, some of whom were as young at ten, had been drinking all day.

"It culminated in this orgy of burning cars," he said. "It's totally unacceptable. The people down there are in shock."

Many local residents were effectively trapped in their homes during the rioting as they had been warned by gardaí not to venture outside, he added. At least seven cars were torched, he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Feckin eejits the lot of 'em. They need lining up against a wall & shooting.

Now rte have it in their headlines http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/finglas.html?rss

Question, what would you do if they tried to drag you away from your car?

If it was me and the circumstances were right in that i could drive away before them touching me, i'd actually try to drive away with knocking some of them down if they are in the way.
    It might sound brave and computer warrior doing that but if i feared for my life, anything is possible.
    rte wrote:
    A total of 17 people were arrested yesterday during disturbances in Finglas, Dublin.

Seven cars were burned out, in violence involving up to 200 people.

It is understood alcohol-related trouble started early and culminated with motorists being dragged from their cars by youths.

Gardaí started to receive calls about dangerous driving and attempted car thefts in Finglas at about 10am yesterday.

At noon, gardaí dealt with three incidents of dangerous driving and one hijacked car in the Berryfield Road/Glenties drive area.

A car that had been reported in relation to dangerous driving had been set alight and Dublin Fire Brigade attended the scene.

A short time later a van was set alight when a petrol bomb was thrown at it.

Around 60 youths were gathered at the scene at the time.

The Public Order Unit was dispatched to the area and the crowd was dispersed.

At least six vehicles were removed from the Cardiffsbridge Road and Berryfield Road by Dublin City Council.

Yesterday evening at 5.30pm, more cars were attacked and another car was hijacked on Cardiffsbridge Road.

Local Councillor Dessie Ellis said the disturbances were drink-fueled and involved children as young as 10.

During the operation, 17 arrests were made at different times and different locations.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Now rte have it in their headlines http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/finglas.html?rss

Question, what would you do if they tried to drag you away from your car?

If it was me and the circumstances were right in that i could drive away before them touching me, i'd actually try to drive away with knocking some of them down if they are in the way.
    It might sound brave and computer warrior doing that but if i feared for my life, anything is possible.

ld like to have the option of mowing them aside myself.

I spoke to a friend and he told me a guy out of his job was dragged from car, hit on the head with a wrench, his car taken and torched.

Somebody really needs to teach these would be heroes a ****ing lesson!!

LOL - you sure were and you missed your chance :D

I'll keep a tounge out for you at the next local riot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

What I want to know is why weren't these kids at evening mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jaysus, the lads in Finglas sure have some tan ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Savman wrote: »
    What I want to know is why weren't these kids at evening mass?

There was none, holy week.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Drove through there at 5 o'clock on the way to tesco..there was a van burnt out,a car burnt ourt and another car blazing away merrily.There was two groups of scyumbags on both sides of the road at the junction of cardifsbridge and berryfield.Broken glass all over the road.When we went back for another nosey,the gang were attacking cars and the Gf's car had a golfclub thrown at it,some eejit of a taxi man had blocked the road trying to get away and i though we were gonna be carjacked.An hour later another car was set on fire and there was still no sign of the cops although they eventually turned up mob-handed in full riot gear with shields and started breaking heads up and down the road.They formed a line and disperesed people as far up the road as dunnes and b y 8 o'clock it had mostly quitened down.IMHO,berryefield should be ****ing bulldozed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Degsy wrote: »
    IMHO,berryfield should be ****ing bulldozed.

Yep should have been done 10 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thaedydal wrote: »

Every single one the dirty bastards need to have their eyes put out,dessie Ellis had better do something about it or there'll be blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Thaedydal wrote: »

TBH that would just move the problem somewhere else. Politicians and Garda don't really give a fcuk about Finglas, the scumbags parents don't give a fcuk about them, and the media are only interested when this type of stuff happens! How many of the 17 arrested will see the inside of a jail cell? Not many I'm guessing! I have lived in Finglas all my life and very little has ever been done to improve the place, and it only gets noticed when trouble is beeing caused:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Berryfield is a warren, garda cant' get in and out and around it fast enough.
    I grew up in finglas lived there for nearly 20 years.

Advertisement