Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 monkey_slut

10 Interesting Facts About Bears

• Pandas Have an Extra Bone Just for Eating. ...
    • Sloth Bears Use Their Lips Like a Vacuum. ...
    • Brown Bears Are the Most Widespread. ...
    • 'Grolar' and 'Pizzly' Bears Are Appearing. ...
    • Black Bears Are Not Always Black. ...
    • White Bears Have Cultural Significance. ...
    • Panda Babies Are Shockingly Small.

THATS what you take from that? Ok. The fact remains (read above)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

What I took was "oh poor me, but am great I am"

thanks for that

I've been reading up on Carlow Castle (again) and it's been 210 years thisn year since the big blast that tore through the building. I wonder if any of you might help me with a question. I see the date of the explosion being 1814, but I haven't found a specific day. Is there an established date it happened, lik, February 5th Margh 6th ect, etc.?"

• Advertisement

As a mental health professional maybe you could do with the support. You appear to have a lot going on and perhaps talking will help.

There are some very good services I could recommend, both free and confidential.

One thing I have learned is that relying on social media likes for validation or a sense of fulfillment is both fleeting and a curse. Often ends up causing long term harm so it might be worth looking into whether your need for acceptance is worth it.

But anyway it's been fun, hope you get the help a completely perfunctory assessment suggests you need.

Sean

Ps hope that stalker gets their cumuppance.

Hi Sean, genuinely nice to meet you. I couldn't agree more about social media; I'm 100% in agreement. Personally, I feel that the very invention of social media is the downfall of mankind. Just looking at the past events around the world is shocking. I still miss the days when we'd have to meet the lads somewhere, word of mouth, or travel a mile down the road to the phone box to arrange a meeting. If it wasn't vandalized, God be with the days. Again, very nice chatting, and if you're around town and free for a coffee, I'd love to chat :) All the best, Anthony.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

On-thread warning, no personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

Sorry to hear about the attack. Sounds absolutely horrific and I hope your surgeries go well. Can i ask where and how that happened? Was it random? Was the attacker(s) prosecuted and jailed?

Mod edit. No personal attacks.

Post edited by byhookorbycrook on

Came across some images on RTE Archives dated of from the late 1960s. A great archival resource. Im not an expert but did a little image correction (for perspective)

• Credit: RTÉ Archives
    • Date: 1968
    • Link: www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0422/955371-bagenalstown-or-muine-bheag/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

So let me get this right Boards.ie is a discussion message board and people on the Carlow forum of the message board are not allowed to talk and discuss their opinion about a public Facebook page about Carlow because the individual who runs that public page gets upset because there may be negative discussion about that public Carlow Facebook page.

Regard,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Post edited by patrickc on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod Note: People are entitled to discuss whatever they wish in a civil manner. If posters disagree with the removal of posts which identify other posters, make serious allegations such as stalking, being targeted because of mental health etc, please feel free to take the moderation up with c-Mods . I've removed posts that personally attack posters, as per the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another shop leaving the town Sherwoods closing down leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Surprised they lasted as long as they did tbh. Did they even open on Saturdays anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I only passed the shop recently one Saturday and was amazed that it didn't open on Saturdays. Its one of those stores/ business that always suffer from the donut effect of retail parks.

I was in their Kilkenny store recently, they didn't have what I was after in Carlow. Staff were saying a lot of their deliveries were to Carlow.

Bigger, better laid out store, not surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

I know I've mentioned this before but those traffic lights at Shamrock Plaza really need to be sorted out. The car lights and pedestrian lights aren't synced up correctly so there's constantly near misses, just saw one today.

Can't understand why the council aren't doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

The timing is off on a lot of the traffic lights around the town.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Anyone know why there was tree cutting on the link road between athy road and sleaty road roundabouts today. Those tree's look lovely when in bloom and at autumn time. So much for taking care of the environment/climate, the council are getting rid of a lot of tree's lately. Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Greengrass53

We do not have a radio station. We're an afterthought on a Kilkenny radio Station. We do not have a hospital, try going toA&E there. And finally we do not have TD. She's from laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 7September1945

KCLR radio station represents both counties. I’m a regular listener and I think they give very good coverage to both counties. Our current TD was elected for the Carlow/Kilkenny constituency so represents that constituency.

With regard to hospitals, what’s your solution? that every single county in the Country has a general hospital? With a National population our size not only is that unfeasible it makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

we're within 45 minutes of 3 regional hospitals (Kilkenny, Port Laoise and Naas) and an hour to 75 mins from 2 others(Wexford and Tallaght)- better then a lot of the country. If you want to really understand hospital issues, try living in Limerick or Clare and especially try and go through A&E there, then you'll see what a crisis really is. St Lukes, despite it's issues, is in a different planet to Limerick regional.

We had a TD and voted him out- that's democracy. Anyway, lets be honest, Graigue is in Carlow for all intents and purposes. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was running along there tonight, seems trees were trimmed and one felled, however it was much easier to see the path, it was difficult prior to see along that route.

Was just in the new Ikea in Fairgreen.

I assumed the idea is that you buy things online and that would be the collection point - That's not the case.

It's nothing more than an information desk, they just show you how to use the website and give you a catalogue.

Post edited by RossGeller on

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I think they also have kitchen/ room design options there too.

But like you said, its not a collection point. Even when it was being installed I assumed it was a collection point for (very small) items.

Don't see the logic in it myself.

it does have a design place and that is going to do some serious damage to the likes of cash and carry in Graigue. Not really sure why anyone would need a collection point though, after all we get our Amazon and other mail order stuff sent to home or work.

To me, it's really the design element of it which is the big part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

A collection point is handy to avoid a delivery charge.

How does this effect cash and carry in Graigue? How are they connected?

The collection point would be handy as people work and cannot always organize someone to be at home for delivery. Also not everyone can get things shipped to their workplace.

• Advertisement

It's a new competitor for Cash and Carry. As an example, Cash and Carry charge a deposit if you want a drawing of their proposed kitchen, Ikea don't.

Advertisement