Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

All the usuals, the backslappers, the hangers on; in a nutshell Carlow County Development Partnership CLG/Ltd. primarily with their various branches; Failte Isteach Conversational English Classes, Be Kind Project (Warehouse/Old Perrys Cash & Carry unit), JETS Hub (Jobs Education Training & Services/Skills) on Burrin St. (Old Jones Business Systems premises), Womens Centre in Chez Nous on Green Lane opp. to Fire Stn. & Askea House on Pollerton Rd. (beside Pratts Garage) along with their headquarters in Bagenalstown, Focus Centre in Borris Old School/Town Hall & they've a footprint in Tullow, Hacketstown, Rathvilly etc. too.

Others would include St. Catherines Community Centre & I imagine Carlow PPN etc.; but CCDP're the biggest quango but am sure there's other smaller ones just not coming to mind.

Along with these it's gonna be Carlow Gda. CPU & Cllrs. & sure, the cynic in me thinks Team Jen or a "Working Group" at local level, maybe a taskforce too...............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I see on it's all about racism that 50 MALES were to be housed.

It doesn't state that on the document above.

Has it been confirmed that they are men or is it just more hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Think Walter Lacey confirmed it was all men

Usual tropes being rolled out: girls at risk, schools nearby, town is full, what about the Irish?

Saw one of the towns regular protesters claiming they'll all be getting houses as well.

Anyone put the fire brigade on standby?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ironic that the former occupants were all male- and not vetted either.

Walter'd do well to remember he's retired; his "Independent" hat has well & truly come off & he's been quite irresponsible with what he did; last count before it was removed, and who by is unknown, there was 460+ comments!!!!

Such figures do wonders for such groups though; stats're vital for kick-backs, far more important to get likes, clicks, kicks, reach, reactions & ignore fact-checks.

*Mod snip * * A facebook page is *NOT a reliable source of information & our local Cllrs.'re scared of theirs to call it out; with 33,500 approx. members in it it has influence over them; that's embarrassing for them & our local council. .......... But let's be honest; KCLR & Nationalist, no matter what one thinks of them, are accountable; social media is the Wild West.

Post edited by byhookorbycrook on

• Advertisement

As it happens EX / Retd. Cllr. Lacey went working for Team Jen subsequently; used see him behind the desk on occasion shortly after they set up on Tullow St.

I appreciate Team Jen has about as much influence over the initial decision re 50 IPAs as you or I have but they are the Carlow TD; surely an ongoing sit in protest in their office & outside was the way to go?

Really hoping Team Jens seat goes in next General Election; 27+ years voting & by f**k but she's as poor a TD I've experienced in my time voting and we're not working from a very impressive list either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 7September1945

I’ve a memory as long as you and with respect, it is important to have a local TD in place to represent local issues and something we did not have locally, before the last General Election. What exactly is your preference? A local TD or someone from KK who does not live locally?

I Viewed the social media coverage this evening of the local protests and in my view they were not only abhorrent, they were disgusting. They ironies were just all over the place, I don’t see anyone protesting at the airports over those who visit Ireland from abroad, or foreign workers doing jobs across the economy in sectors that IE nationals won’t do while still claiming benefits that I am funding as an employee. I could go on but unfortunately I have to get up at 5:34am to travel to my actual job and to return home at 7pm tomorrow evening before I start it all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

This is such BS - the capuchins added value to the town. Not sure the new tenants will be as productive, be they men or families or whatever.

Dublin st and all down towards the town hall will be just one big ghetto / provision Centre.

You're 100%, it will be exactly like a ghetto. No one will be safe. They will be driving around in their free cars when they're not watching their free 50" tv . Won't someone think of the children / IRISH homeless / poor women trying to walk on THEIR OWN #Irelandisfull(ofracistballbags)

#sarcasm

I don’t believe I mentioned free cars or free tvs? ..

most of them can’t / won’t work so what else will they do except hang around on the streets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

On this, he's right. Fair play to *MOD SNIP*

The rest of ye can continue to spit feathers online about ordinary Carlowvians exercising their right to protest, and saying no to what is clearly an abuse of our asylum system by male economic migrants.

Anyone who wants to come and work here is welcome. Just apply for your working Visa and wait for a response.

Every town in Ireland is now having similar protests. PBP must be absolutely bulling that they could never get people onto the streets like this 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

*Mod Snip*

I've no problem with people having concerns, but so many of them are based on nonsense and scare mongering. There was an American woman at the protest yesterday demanding that non nationals are a risk and don't have vetting. Was she vetted before coming here?

Plus there's the reality that very few people, Irish or otherwise, are vetted full stop.

We're doing perfectly fine with our 100% IRISH bred criminals and rapists.

#irelandisfull(ofracistballbags)

For what died the sons of Róisín?

What do you mean by saying “most of them can’t/won’t work”.

How do you know that most of them cannot or will not seek employment?

Do you personally know the people being moved to that property on Dublin Street?

Are you an expert on rights and permissions of persons seeking international protection?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod Warning : it seems the Carlow boards have attracted a number of visitors with a very specific agenda . Many posts have been removed .

Keep it civil. Consider this a warning

yes - your right. How foolish of me ..

if they are ‘seeking international protection’ (snigger) they are not entitled to work.

Have you seen the Ukrainians walking up and down the Dublin road all day / every day with nothing to do ??

be they Ukrainians fleeing ‘war’ or (more than likely) people from god knows where - none of them will be working.

welcome to the jungle baby

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

The Ukrainians I’ve seen about the country are generally living in accommodation that no Irish person would be offered - the Dublin road site is a glorified trailer park - IMHO this is rubbish to say they are taking accommodation that Irish people would have otherwise. Equally Dublin St both the Capuchins and St Brigids sites would be derelict - the refugee surge means old institutional buildings are now being unshuttered to meet demand.

Re the families now being brought in, there definitely will be a pressure on services eg GP and schools, (although some of the latter town centre ones have been struggling for numbers in the last few years). The young males residents were unlikely to be attending primary schools or visiting doctors in any great frequency so perhaps an inadvertent own goal scored there folks….

Re any ‘security threat’ can we say there is a greater tendency to commit crime than say any house say with male students about the town? I rent a property out elsewhere and by choice based on experience I would rent it sooner to a non national family than an Irish one given my experience of some of the carry on.

clearly the information piece was poorly handled, but great to see some of our civic representatives leading from behind !!

Regarding your first point; I should also've clarified, my opinion of Team Jen is they're the worst of a bad lot; our generation, since yours & mine're overlapping, have endured MJ, Pat & Team Jen so to say the quality has been lacking is the most polite I can do.

Evidence for the prosection includes, but isn't limited to this mornings car crash interview on Morning Ireland; no matter what side you think Team Jen is on, and it can be argued that those in the Centre are ignored by both the Far Right & the Hard Left, this is beyond brutal; Mary Wilson was the consumate broadcaster; if this was an interview Team Jen would not be getting hired.

Morning Ireland https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22341529/

Carlow Live transcript of same https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/1392610/hold-on-a-minute-carlow-td-avoids-asylum-seeker-protest-questions-in-car-crash-rte-interview.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2-zGSPmpLRuBp9U35PUBixLQHKgULNr90A1q8SpvuZWKyANm_jU667Zhs

About your other query, I do understand the "Keep it Carlow" mindset; the Carlow People has it as their election motto on front page during General Election 2016 I think; in the best of both worlds I'd have Kathleen Funchion or Malcolm Noonan as a Carlow TD if that makes sense?

As it is I've a lot of time politically for both; have had since I began following their political careers as Cllrs.

If a Soc Dems or Green Party or Sinn Fein candidate runs in Carlow town LEAs in June they'll get my No.1 & a preferences; probably same in a General Election in 2025.

I want a quality TD; it is, of course, "easy" to be in opposition & if I'm unfair on Team Jen then fine but, obviously I don't think I am....?

Regarding concerns about pressures on local services including GP practices from the arrival of new persons, that’s nothing new. Those pressures existed 7 years ago and I know that from experience. I live locally but work elsewhere and when I sought to register with a number of local GP practices when I was pregnant, of low-risk, was a fee-paying patient with neither an entitlement to a medical/ GP Visit Card and was employed, I had extreme difficulty registering anywhere for basic services. Thankfully we were finally accepted in a local practice.

So concerns about additional pressures on local services from new persons, are really nothing new.

• Advertisement

To follow-on from my earlier post, there is nothing to prevent anyone standing for election (either locally or otherwise) once they comply with the requirements, so rather than complain about incumbents, there is nothing to prevent anyone from going forward!

It is a tough job and requires long hours, dedication, hard work, resilience, patience, drive, enthusiasm, knowledge about how the system works and so on. I admire anyone who puts themselves forward.

I have no affiliation with any political party, but from a fairness perspective, it is unfair to compare the current incumbent with previous local TD’s as the playing field is unclear.

How do you assess previous local TD’s historical performance?

I’m all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Indeed, medical professional shortage is an increasing feature of all developed countries, but to claim these males would exacerbate these service shortages is a stretch IMHO. Paradoxically more likely the families now being .’switched in’ could do so given the age profile etc although this is being presented as a superior outcome, which is nonsensical given the startling premise of the complaint. However, we know this is really because some consider Carlow the traditional home of white Irish sugar….

Ah yes, the white Irish sugar. Maybe that's the reason there were so few teeth on display on Dublin street.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Gas to hear people giving out about the foreigners moving in and being a danger. After all, it wasn't foreigners who took a dead body to a post office to collect the pension or were convicted of rape and assault before Christmas. Plenty of local druggies and skangers out begging. Funny how no one is protesting out at Toughers either or would that require some of them to get off their backside and go out there.

As for our local TD, I've always found her very helpful and obliging, both in supporting local events and people and on a personal basis as well with a couple of issues I had to get support on.

If the protest was about protecting women and children then why have a local, and publicly named in court reports, person* with a conviction for assaulting their ex partner & child on the protest?

*Video still available by PM taken from a livestream last night by a person before the courts with a charge of loitering around a creche; how the heck such a person can pretend its okay to hang around a creche and continue to say it's about protecting women and children is beyond me.

If the protest was about protecting women and children ALL of those would be vetted, checked for any & every charge; are ANY on the protest vetted and checked?

If the protest was about protecting women and children why have they never protested outside a r*****s house on Browneshill Rd.?

Cos it's not about protecting women and children because, well, it's all about racism.

Also to note last night the chief organiser denied, on camera, they were in any way politically affiliated, yet they appeared in our local paper as the Aontu rep..............

I don't know who either person is, and don't care tbh. I couldn't care less who's running that facebook account, as i don't use it and have never had a facebook account.

None of this is about either person. It's about (imo at least) hate speech and incitement.

People have the right to protest, but at least know what it is you're protesting about.

I saw a video of a few of them on Dublin street, protesting about the housing of displaced families, and they were giving the peace sign, no seriously.

Can you imagine, just for a second, that people send each other messages. Now imagine that you might receive a message with a link in it, saying look at these fools? You can actually view the FB posts when you click on the link, just not comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Haha, just the horn lads have in here for that page is crazy. Seems to be mentioned every odd page like its a competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 michealryan

The fact stands id like to see the Moaning Marys here do his unpaid job all by themselves and not crack under the stress. Anthony has some balls with all the flack he receives on a daily basis.

Your right try getting into the US or Australia nope not happening were to nice

Its nuts all the towns of Ireland have this but Carlow has No Radio station No hospital, no TD

Advertisement