Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Yea will be interesting to see how things go with the 2 gyms so close as they would have the same kind of clientele really. I used to go to Silverbacks down there myself but haven't went back yet since they've reopened. But I won't be going to the new one anyway, I just couldn't afford it. You're right about the Ben Dunne gyms too, they're great for price for the general user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Cantina Coffee is, or maybe now was, there in the medical centre/physio place.....again these things're coming with a huge caveat & I haven't been in Barrow Valley Retail Pk. in a few months.

What'll bring me back?

Army Surplus Warehouse for sure; they must've gotten some good deal to relocate cos their unit in Four Lakes was somewhere I'd happily spend my weeks wages whiling away a few hours no problem.

Was actually out in Four Lakes Sunday in Mattress Micks; the opening was grim af; maybe I came at wrong time but no sign of Richie Kavanagh or Mick himself; just 2 Staffers doing a Mom Dance.

In Barrow Valley now, as per a previous poster they're legit taking on Four Lakes & have the 2 Gyms, Supermarket, Discount Stores (2; To Go & Mr. Price) & indeed Hotel & Entertainment Centre.

It will be interesting to see what replaces Army Surplus Warehouse; it's a huge unit to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd say there's a good chance it might have been rates that made the decision for Army Surplus. I believe they pay rates to Laois coco in barrow valley which I'm told are cheaper than Carlow rates. Also the store was out of place in the unit it had at Four lakes. It could also have been the LL raising the rates for a road front unit. I find it grand for a browse but everything in it is cheap Chinese bits and bobs handy if you're stuck but not built for longevity.

I've never heard of Cantina coffee I may give it a look. I'd say theres a good chance this new gym may have a coffee dock of sorts.

Have Quigleys Cafe at Shamrock Plaza shut for good?

In same vein has Fast Eddies closed?

Neither're looking like they've been in business in recent weeks.

On another note good to see Carpenters Funeral Home coming along in Asset House on Barrack St./Staplestown Rd.

May've already mentioned it previously but Penneys site under construction with Bennetts; 9 month contract for it so broadly speaking should be finished in or around April/Easter time.

For Carlow Shopping Centres sake I hope they've an anchor tenant lined up as a replacement come May 2022 approx.; they may well end up doing what they did last time to encourage people in; offer free parking......if I'm remembering back to pre March 2017 correctly that is.

Carlow Shopping centre should go all out for TKMaxx to replace Penny's that will keep the business going there.

• Advertisement

Further to this renovation going on in Quigleys today; no further information.

I was talking to two men that are in the svp homeless hostel and they said the doors to the hostel will close at the end of september and they are being moved in to flats in town and the svp won't be involved anymore some company from dublin will look after them in the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

It was in the media this year or last that SVP were pulling out of homeless services and DE Paul Trust are taking them over.

here's the article.

https://kclr96fm.com/management-of-carlows-monastery-hostel-to-be-transferred-from-the-society-of-st-vincent-de-paul-to-another-homeless-charity/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see two lads stabbed along the tow path this evening Gardaí have it taped off. Near that site passed spring hill that had the junkie caravan in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Any idea who bought the Braun site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sold for €5.9m and will be used as a manufacturing facility so there will be jobs.

Hopefully it's a big enough compnay to bring in a couple of hundred jobs.

What is this town turning into in the last few months it has had a guy nearly burned alive at his front door a few other major incidents and in the last week alone a double stabbing and a murderer on the run pulling a gun out over argument about drink along with the all round general high levels of anti social behavior and open drug dealing and use around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

Do you know what pub he pulled the gun out in? Apparently he was refused drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The bar in the Talbot

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Any idea who he was visiting in Carlow or what was his attraction to the town ? It is getting bad when you need to wear a bulletproof vest to work in a bar .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone know why he was refused a drink there?

I've heard a good few dublin gangsters with targets on them laying low in and around carlow these days.

Any update on what’s going into Braun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Well they'll have to move now that you've blown there cover.

Another stabbing in town yesterday a woman stabbed in new oak.

I see the former Burger King/Billy Bunters is now a pub.

Strange location for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not really if the students go back to in person classes in the IT. Since I was there in 2000-2004 a pub was being talked about in the area.. Suspect it will do a decent enough trade there during the day/week.

Looks like a major incdent in new oak two fire brigades a couple of gardai jeeps and two decitive cars and plumes of smoke covering the sky and the main entrance to the estate blocked off by Gardai at the roundabout.

Some serious amount of smoke alright I though it was Tesco looking at it from the other side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

According to the Sunday Times it is Glenveagh Homes, a building firm and the intent is to use it as a factory for making the frames for timber frame houses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Verbally abused this morning by a Quigley's delivery drive who was parked in not one, but two disabled bays for in excess of 20 minutes.

Looks like a major fire at vacant buildings at Shamrock Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

it wasn't that big a fire, on one of the smaller derelict houses on the Hoseys side. Looked to be the top floor only. sooner those places are knocked, the better. Not fit for anything else at this stage except start again

Advertisement