Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Heard, via a staff member, that a long term business is shutting in 2 Months; about Eastertime/up to May Bank Holiday; said this will be if new owners/mgmnt. can't be found by then.

it's a long-established town centre one which many of us have been patrons of over past quarter of a century if I've my timeline right; it's definitely in an IT Carlow Rag Mag I have from late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Big issue is the bands, most of them have hardly practised over the last 2 years and lost members and not been able to replace them. No idea what this "fun day" will be like but I presume it will involve the usual gurriers running around with shaving foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Assuming this is Scraggs. It's been on the cards for a while.

Foundry's back! Reopening Saturday night after 702 days/nights shut; it's ticket only https://www.facebook.com/TheFoundryNightclubCarlow/videos/4789560921134733

1st Night back @ the Foundry tickets on Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/first-night-the-foundry-tickets-265022989897?fbclid=IwAR35ZuIkx0nZ-8mQB-aeG29NOa97B6PvvG09cxJZ2klzenW2IbYeY3UUtiQ

Also coming up in Foundry & other student venues is......RAG Week!

1st Student Night in it for RAG Week will be Sunday night the 20th of February.

They've had an ongoing recruitment drive & many positions're still available for those interested in nighttime employment in areas such as cloakroom, DSP duties, bartenders & floorstaff with excellent wages + conditions such as a 20% Late Night Premium into your wages

https://www.facebook.com/TheFoundryNightclubCarlow/photos/a.842096162483892/5144584508901681/

CVs/Resume to Noeleen@DinnRi.com

Great to see Leo's and the Hockey club getting a big grant, new floodlit proper hockey pitch to be built over the summer

• Advertisement

actually, having looked at the list, Carlow is getting nearly 2m in grants for facilities overall with Eire Og, the Hurling club, Rugby club and tennis clubs all getting sizeable amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Great news for all those clubs but we have two GAA clubs in the town servicing 100s of young players and they don't have a pitch to call their own. Surely there is a discussion to be had that a club looking for a pitch is more important that a club adding extra pitches and walking tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

is there not plenty for those with GAA interests in the town already with Eire Og and Blues and Graigue pitches? Eire Og are getting funding. I’m not into GAA but would have thought they were sufficient?

its sounds like it’s spread equally to me across football, hurling, rugby, tennis.

so what are they doing about it, did they apply for grants and try to buy their own land?

Far bigger question is why we have seperate hurling and football clubs at all.? Why don't Hanrahans and the Hurling club merge for example?. Look at Kilmacud Crokes, Naas, St Finbarrs in this years club championships, all duel clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Finbarrs are a big club. Kilmacud Crokes have well over 1000 paid up members as do most clubs in Dublin. Membership is €150-200 so they have bundles of cash to fund whatever they plan to do, and plenty of people looking to get on to the committee to get involved.

Smaller clubs down this direction, membership is around €40-60, and there wouldn't be more than a few hundred members, with a tiny percentage willing to get involved. The money just isn't there.

Some clubs are excellent at fundraising, and have great support from their community. Others don't, that's just how it is.

Asking 2 clubs of the same code (football for example) to play as an amalgamation is pretty common these days, when they don't have the numbers to field their own teams, but even this is plagued with politics.

Asking 2 clubs with no connection and over 100 years of history to give that up so they can become a duel club is nonsense. In any case, both those clubs (Blues / Carlow hurling) have their own grounds and facilities, even though their form is poor.

Asca and Setanta don't have any permanent grounds, and both operate out of the presentation college grounds (Asca have been playing there for over 40 years, possibly since they were formed). I know little on how either is run, so couldn't comment on why they haven't received any funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Asca GFC have only received one grant in their nearly 50 year History (For equipment i believe) . For the last 20-25 years they have been asked to contribute to building stands and training centres for the county board and have never received a penny back. Whatever money that club has had to spare for the last 2 decades that could have gone towards finding a permanent home, have gone to Carlow County Board. I agree you can only be heard if you are in the conversation, but the work that setanta and Asca have done a juvenile level has to be seriously commended . They have grown and starting to win against the much larger clubs. I believe both have players on under age Carlow panels.

I'm only a blow in but I do know my home parish of less then 1000 people has 2 pitches, a gym, dressing rooms, handball alley, walking track, club house, covered seated stand and got a 40k grant this time around as well. All done over the last 20 years whilst paying over to the County Board at the same time.

Only town I've ever seen with as many GAA clubs as are in Carlow is possibly Tralee. I'm not criticising anyone involved in any of the Carlow clubs, I know a few and they are fine passionate people but the overall standard is appaling, most senior clubs in Carlow would struggle in in Junior A in other counties these days

As for the thoughts of clubs amalgamating, Kilmacud Crokes is an amalgamation of 3 old clubs, 2 football, one hurling

Anyone been into the two newest cafes yet?

Waterlilies on Tullow St. or Lambert Coffee House on Dublin St.?

Or Sweet Baking Mamas on Castle St.?

i wanted a coffee at 9:55am and decided to try water lilies. CLOSED.

I heard they also baked bread! Shouldn’t they be open at that time on a Monday morning?

so I ventured down to tea and coffee world and they don’t open until 10am either!

is There not a market for morning coffee?

3rd attempt was across the road to sweet mamas and I got a lovely welcome, 2 other parties were seated and I had a nice americano and fresh out of the oven brownie. I would recommend. Service is excellent and the brownie was lovely. And they want the business!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can't find the post that recommended Corcoran Auto Service on the O' Brien Road, but massive thanks to you. A friend coming to Carlow developed an issue with her car last Saturday and he fitted the car in no problem and sorted out it out the same day. Great service and very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

The new prices in Quigleys are insane - €8.50 for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, and that doesn't include a drink.

Yea that ridiculous.

if you want more insanity, order a takeaway coffee from Brooks. €3.20 and you’re handed what is deemed small by every other establishment in the world. They have some cheek trying to pass it off as a regular

Fair whack alright; I do tea & my, what I presume are regular, though I'd call 'em small, are €2.50 & €2.60 depending on where I go in town centre; there doesn't seem to be much of a competition in that regard; like if what I was getting from somewhere was €1 or €1.50 for same size it'd make me much more of a regular.

As per above Quigleys post it was somewhere I'd planned on going for the toasted sarnie; bit reluctant now; crikey that's some price.

Cafe 1 did me 2 Toasted Cheese, few crisps on the side & a bottle of coke for €10.Something recently; in comparison I got a bargain.

Ukrainian provisions dropoff points in Carlow town so far include:

1. Moldovan Supermarket in Haymarket.
    2. Home of Shellac on Dublin St.

There's a 3rd but she's a Polish lady & although on her own social media she has her address listed (for eh, obvious reasons rather than just wandering aimlessly round with a bag of stuff to give in like.......) I'm not comfortable to publish it here for all sorts of reasons.

Still it's good to see thus far there's 3 places to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Setanta was formed due to a dispute within the Hurling Club, who weren't interested in having a "camogie" wing as well. They are a relatively new club.The hurling club got a lot of revenue through hosting matches down the years and even allowing parking on their grounds for county ground matches, but had their land for many, many years in any case. Trying to buy land in town now would be out of reach of any club- which is why the training grounds were moved out to Fenagh.

Whilst the sentiment is admirable, I've heard many charities asking that people do not do this for a number of reasons:

You'd be surprised at the rubbish charities are given, so people would to sort through it. Even if the items are really good quality, they may not be needed in a particular area .

Logistics mean that transporting it from Ireland can be quite expensive and even if someone were to volunteer to do it, it adds to customs delays which can stop more urgently needed items getting through.

Best advice is if you can afford to give even a few euro to give it to an established charity that is on the ground there and can redistribute it quickly and easily.

If you’re a Revolut customer, you can donate directly with 100% of your donation going to the Irish Red Cross.

In the “Charities” section, select “See All”

Choose “Irish Red Cross – Ukraine Conflict Appeal”

From this section, you’ll be able to make a one-off donation, donate your Spare Change or start a recurring transfer.

FRONT LINE CHARITIES-

https://donate.unhcr.org/int/en/ukraine-emergency

https://www.icrc.org/.../wher.../europe-central-asia/ukraine

https://donate.savethechildren.org/.../emergency-ukraine

https://voices.org.ua/en/

https://www.rescue.org/

https://www.facebook.com/sunflowerofpeace/

https://www.care.org/

https://internationalmedicalcorps.org/

https://www.projecthope.org/

Thanks; I did feel locally a lot sprung up over weekend and while their benevolence is coming from a good place I think your points of financial help being more important due to logistical issues.

Also felt, and I can only go local on this as it's what I know; too many cropped up too if that makes sense? Instead of, for example, one central place, like Fighting Cocks, Graiguecullen Gaa or Youth Centre in different regions being used, as per this KCLR piece, https://kclr96fm.com/collection-points-in-place-across-carlow-and-kilkenny-as-locals-donate-essential-items-for-those-displaced-by-russian-attacks-on-ukraine/?fbclid=IwAR0qjN8qyvc4kPAuK9fojFGaHxlpcYvEkX6su5Azomq86L83QC5cnHy-YSo there's 10, 11 places already within such a small county......none of them're actual registered charities either (NOT a criticism of the GAA clubs mentioned!!).

My initial post may've been too soon & for that I apologise.

Anyone know of volunteer opportunities going in Carlow town at the minute?

I did the Meals on Wheels thing for a while but it was eating into the petrol. Something where I'm helping people would be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

https://volunteercarlow.ie/.

Try here Ross.

No apology needed, tbh, I would have always been a one for pulling out the food parcels etc. previous to this.

as well as the points you’ve made, it’s a massive waste of resources that could be utilized better. Those volunteers who now need to sort, pack, move… could instead be renovating properties so we can house the Ukrainians and solve our own housing crisis

thanks for posting the charity links 👍🏻

I see your man that sat outside dealz for years begging has been back there a few times over the last week or two i guess covid put him off for the last two years now that everythings seems to have returned to some sort of normal he comes back

Anyone know what the commotion was on Barrack St. yesterday? Gardai had closed off the road

• Advertisement

Antonios on Castle Hill.

P.P. is being sought (in this weeks paper & on-site notice too) for change of use from existing fast-food takeaway with adjoining domestic accommodation to use as two separate domestic dwellings & all associate site works.

Can't see there being any objections; €20'd get you some decent takeaway grub albeit not from Antonios currently since it's closed.

Advertisement