Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux or Windows?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

croo wrote: »
    Anybody I know that have seen both vista & OS/X desktops believe Leopard wins hands down... personally I am very happy with Compiz which has much more UI flare than vista.

Most business users don’t like a lot of flash as they believe it slows down the usage speed so they would turn it off in favor of more instant (perhaps dry) responses. It gets boring after the initial WOW. For example, I have a lot of files and 95% of time use “detailed” listing and maybe at most medium icons for pics and vids (sometimes). And unless you have a specialty use…most people use desktops for applications first, and OS features second (if even considered). Will the Flash be enough to steer people away from common business preference? Only time will tell.

What about embedded systems & servers? Windows has no a majority in either of these areas?

Like this?
    è Recent Past
    Top Server Market Findings
    • Microsoft Windows servers showed positive growth as revenues grew 6.9% and unit shipments grew 9.8% year over year. Quarterly revenue of $5.7 billion for Microsoft Windows servers set an all-time high for a single quarter and represented the single largest revenue segment in the server market with 36.6% of overall quarterly factory revenue.
    • Unix servers experienced 1.5% revenue growth year over year when compared with 4Q06. Worldwide Unix revenues were $5.2 billion for the quarter, representing 33.3% of quarterly server spending and reflecting continued IT investment in this server market segment, with particular strength in the midrange enterprise segment of the Unix market which comprises 53.8% of all Unix spending.
    • Linux server revenue reached $2.0 billion for the first time in any single quarter on 11.6% year-over-year growth. Linux servers now represent 12.7% of all server revenue, up more than 1 point over 4Q06.
    http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS21114208

And those manufacturing /medical applications I mentioned can be considered "embedded" applications.

You have a flare for mixing topics in your rants rasmasyean... one minute you speak of the windows, the next vista, then next an office package, then next any application that runs on windows. Most desktops, for example, may run windows but most are not running vista!

I didn’t think of it as a “rant”. I was responding to:
    Originally Posted by Chaz
    “This thread goes in circles and clearly proves that it is a case of different OS for different requirements.”
    And I’m saying I like X in Vista, and Y in the rest of Windows based OS’es. But whether I have Vista or another Windows OS, it still makes it easier to interact with “my world” where people use various Windows stuff!

I don't know if that's so clean cut - I think many supporters of OpenGL 2 would argue –
    http://sendderek.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/next-gen-game-graphics-directx-10-vs-opengl21/
    is one of many such supporters

I couldn't find any real definitive comparisons on the internet. Those stills compare still models in OpenGL (no background even) to game shots in DX10. The real comparison is when you compare the actual games. They have to move at a decent FPS with the corresponding "full" 3D environment...not just a face. The terminator 2 was done on SGI's back then, but it took many hours to form a clip that lasted a few seconds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

rasmasyean wrote: »
    Most business users don’t like a lot of flash as they believe it slows down the usage speed
    well it does in windows ok.
    But the more modern linux desktops can take advantage of the graphics card to off load the graphics processing to it and save the CPU for the more important tasks. And, yes, I have seen businesses prefer to stick with their "green screens" as they believe it has faster screen updates and allows for keyboard only usage (moving your hand from the keyboard the mouse can slow things down a lot).

But it depends on what tasks you are doing - business users is a big group! From manager doing spreadsheets to the guy in the warehouse doing good receipts.

Personally I find the scale functionality of compiz-fusion invaluable when working and the grouping functionality is very useful too for saving screen space too. As a windows only user you are probably only used to working on one desktop but when you have 4 or more the cube functionality is very useful to help you visualize and remember what is where. So it's certainly not all pointless and until you use them I don't think you can comprehend the value it provides.

By the way the Mac is becoming very popular in businesses! You just can't beat its style and that is important to many ... especially those on top. Apple's decision to go with, what was basically an open source OS, has meant their issue of "less software available" has disappeared as most (all?) of the linux OSS runs on macs too.
    most people use desktops for applications first, and OS features second
    Precisely what we have been trying to explain to you!
    And the software to do just about anything is available (for free) on linux!
    I can do everything on my linux machine that I need to.
    browse the web (mozilla), read email (thunderbird), Write letters, create spreadsheets & presentations (open office), create mindmaps to help me structure my thoughts (freemind), create graphics (inkscape), edit photos (& graphics) Gimp, build websites (so many options but I'm using Kompozer)/Joomla (CMS), track my time for billing (gnome time tracker), create Project plans (TaskJuggler - OpenProj if someone sends me an MS Project plan I need to read), for software development there is simple so much but some of the big projects Eclipse IDE, Postgresql DB, JBoss application server (sometimes Netbeans & glassfish), and finally for business Adempiere ERP. And that's just the tip of the iceberg...
    So how much money did I save [and be more cost efficient] by not choosing windows?

So yes the OS itself is somewhat irrelevant ... so long as you can do the tasks you need. And as the OP said you can do it all with linux for free why would you choose windows!
    I didn’t think of it as a “rant”
    You come to a forum for people who wish to discuss open source software and declare you don't like open source software and the firm that has been doing & spending the most to put a spanner in the workings of the Open Source Movement is producing the best software available. It may not be a rant but it an unusual way to spend your time. Perhaps you're paid to do it?
    What do you honestly expect as a response? That we'd all say, "hmm, your right I'm going out today to buy a ultimate version of vista!"?

Open Source has momentum now... it's too late to stop it. And I fail to see how statistics comparing $ based product to 0$ product makes any sense? The fact is the biggest thing in the world of computers today is the web... and the vast majority of it is run by open source software. There will always be idiots who fall for MS's nice glossy marketing brochures and waste lots of money, but more and more are waking up to discover that there are alternatives and very good ones too!

If you want to help the Bill Gates fund go ahead but don't bother trying to spread your FUD here .... we know the truth!

well it does in windows ok.
    But the more modern linux desktops can take advantage of the graphics card to off load the graphics processing to it and save the CPU for the more important tasks. And, yes, I have seen businesses prefer to stick with their "green screens" as they believe it has faster screen updates and allows for keyboard only usage (moving your hand from the keyboard the mouse can slow things down a lot).
    The human speed is usually the bottle-neck rather than graphics these days. Unless you’re talking about Windows Aero. But by the time businesses upgrade, their new boxes would be faster as well…most will set it to classic anyway because they would get confused by the new look. :)
    I know what you mean about the green screens. I’ve had users request function keys for this and that, but software has so many function keys these days that they get confused and do things inadvertently making mistakes. So I gradually removed functions in order to make them used mouse buttons and explain to every one of them each time they would ask for functions key.

As a windows only user you are probably only used to working on one desktop but when you have 4 or more the cube functionality is very useful to help you visualize and remember what is where. So it's certainly not all pointless and until you use them I don't think you can comprehend the value it provides.

I actually maximize each window I use anyway. Unless I’m dragging and dropping something. And to me the taskbar is good enough because it shows you all the windows that are open in a menu style fashion.
    So how much money did I save [and be more cost efficient] by not choosing windows?

As a Home Computer, Yes you did save money “theoretically”, but I believe we’ve been through that already. For most businesses the extra costs is actually irrelevant… At least for the time being. Especially since they already have a lot of software tied to it and sometimes even integrated to it. So not necessarily cost "effective".
    You come to a forum for people who wish to discuss open source software and declare you don't like open source software and the firm that has been doing & spending the most to put a spanner in the workings of the Open Source Movement is producing the best software available. It may not be a rant but it an unusual way to spend your time. Perhaps you're paid to do it?
    What do you honestly expect as a response? That we'd all say, "hmm, your right I'm going out today to buy a ultimate version of vista!”?
    Actually, I passed by the “Linux or Windows” topic and after reading it I thought that I’d contribute and alternate angle than what I saw in some of the posts. But yeah you got me. Microsoft’s hires employees to go to obscure boards in .ie as part of their global mass marketing campaign to sell a few extra copies of vista.:rolleyes:
    Open Source has momentum now... it's too late to stop it. And I fail to see how statistics comparing $ based product to 0$ product makes any sense? The fact is the biggest thing in the world of computers today is the web... and the vast majority of it is run by open source software. There will always be idiots who fall for MS's nice glossy marketing brochures and waste lots of money, but more and more are waking up to discover that there are alternatives and very good ones too!

Okay fine you didn’t like the fact that people actually had to buy servers in order to use linux and even Unix. So here’s a nice pie chart that describes the OS penetration of all computers.
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

Perhaps all you say will become true, and this movement actually has a potential to change the way things work for good. But I could tell you that within the next two years (the useful life of a PC) it is not going to happen to the scale that you are talking about. And the original point of this thread was whether windows vs. linux is better for a home PC. It seems that the big part of the linux movement presently is aimed at developing nations where it will reduce the hardware requirements. The extra cost does not mean that much to the industrialized nations that it will make a tremendous change within the next two years at least. So until this momentum has truly materialized to a large scale I don’t see the benefit of using linux over windows unless you have a specific purpose or specific peer group that will make it advantageous for you to use linux and perhaps the open source software that’s written for linux.

Oh I forgot to mention another cool thing I like about Windows Vista is the dictation capability given by speech recognition. Which is actually what I used to write most of this post. You can control the desktop too but it becomes a bit clumsy unless you really want hands-free operation for everything.

By the way the Mac is becoming very popular in businesses! You just can't beat its style and that is important to many ... especially those on top. Apple's decision to go with, what was basically an open source OS, has meant their issue of "less software available" has disappeared as most (all?) of the linux OSS runs on macs too.

Whatever small amount of Mac is gaining, it's because it can run Windows...not OSX or "linux/unix based knock-offs". Look here...
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Vixen Sexlectra

Hello All,

I am doing my Client Research Project (Thesis) on "The differences between Open Source Solutions and Commercial IT Solutions"

As part of the project, I am conducting an online survey/questionnaire to assess:

1. Peoples knowledge of the IT Solutions available.
    2. Usage pattern of both types of users.
    3. Opinions & attitudes towards both systems.
    4. Idea's & comments on how to improve both systems
    etc

I would be very grateful, if you would take part in the survey/questionnaire, as it would be a great help to me in the research process.

I am looking for Irish people & Businesses to give me their insight and knowledge into this subject.

Can you please send me a message if you are interested..
    Looking for sample size of approx 40 people.

Thank You.
    Mia smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

7 different fora you bumped old threads in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Vixen Sexlectra

I obviously a newbie.. ha

need help on project though.. any suggestions

Advertisement