Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux or Windows?

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think maybe it's time everyone got back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

conceited wrote: »
    I'm writting mine for 3 years now but as you said it doesn't matter right?

Well, it'll give you a deeper insight into the inner workings of an OS of course, but I don't see how it's relevant in a discussion partly on a closed-source OS.
    conceited wrote: »
    Unix isn't modern it's old and crusty.

I don't see anyone recommending Unix. Linux may have been inspired by Unix, but it's been evolving for 17 years. The mere fact that there are threads called "Linux or Windows?" discussing comparisons of desktop operating systems shows how far it's come in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Cork dsl eircom ....
    ya i agree 100%
    edit-->>
    Linux may have been inspired by Unix,
    Lol ya inspired sure.
    I'll post back later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Macros42 wrote: »
    I should have copped it before. rasmasyean and conceited are one and the same. I'm reporting the latest post to get an admin to confirm that. Welcome to siteban territory.

I really need one of them black caption motivation frames.

Siteban

* random pic *

++++++ Welcome to it +++++++

Fill in the lack of picture, and shít, k ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anti wrote: »

Siteban

* random pic *

vqmkz4lj2q49nabuiokf.jpg

i'm bored....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

Anti wrote: »

Siteban

* random pic *

As a moderator you shouldn't be encouraging him. He just thinks anyone who disagrees with him is a troll, that's all. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

rasmasyean wrote: »
    As a moderator you shouldn't be encouraging him. He just thinks anyone who disagrees with him is a troll, that's all. LOL

I disagree

troll

:p

I disagree

troll

:p

HA HA I hope you can keep that sense of humor when year after year you just tell everyone that “linux is gonna take over everything…just next year. Don’t worry, you can run anything you want on wine…except not all of them actually work yet...but they will….trust me. Oh, er, Open Office will have all the features you want…stick with it for a year when the OS community gets around to it. Blah blah blah.” :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

One reason to run Linux follows.

Yesterday, I download and installed wine.
    Then installed IE6 to run on Wine

Then went to a website that's been hacked and had a trojan dropper inserted in it's code. The dropper runs an ActiveX.

IE6 goes there. I let it run the ActiveX... It goes spyware buggo and crashes Wine. For the hell of it, I download the virus' executable.

Linux is not bothered.

Three users of this website have had to go through **** though, because they run IE on Windows.

WhileI find the fix for them by finding out what Virus it's dropping on them.

Score 1 for penguin power. And a trio of new users. Hell, I started using Ubuntu because it's almost as idiotproof to use as Windows, but not bothered by Viruses and spyware and stuff.

I'm not a Linux poweruser, I just use it because it works half decent, costs nothing to use, and you can muck about with it. Does need to be kicked a bit at times, but generally boots faster than Vista, runs longer... and doesn't complain when I mess around with it.

Free DVD Software today May 30! Only 4 hours left!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-9955610-58.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

Not Open Source...but still free!

Don't forget the registration:
    User name:
    Giveawayoftheday

License Code:
    65AA53C7-87BF-4B00-BA675-5B85-F53D-456B

You got 4 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Free DVD Software today May 30! Only 4 hours left!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-9955610-58.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

Not Open Source...but still free!

Don't forget the registration:
    User name:
    Giveawayoftheday

License Code:
    65AA53C7-87BF-4B00-BA675-5B85-F53D-456B

You got 4 hours!

What on earth has this got to do with Windows verses Linux? Or open source for that matter?

What on earth has this got to do with Windows verses Linux? Or open source for that matter?

Free software that I'd thought I'd share with some friends and enemies here. People here seem to mention they like free things. It supposed to be a geture of generosity. Don't look at it if you don't want it, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I left Ubuntu behind, I just can't relax with it at all. Back to windows but anyways Im not complaining

Why is it that I get post notifications from conceited but I cant see his posts here. Did one of you moderators mess with our setups for Macross42? :cool:

conceited is deleting his messages after he posts them. I'm not sure whether or not he realises that I can see the deleted messages.

rasmasyean, this isn't a "free stuff" forum. If you're not interested in understanding the philosophy that informs the open source concept, feel free to either research it or stay away from the forum - your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

I'm well aware don't you worry bud.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

mondeo wrote: »
    I left Ubuntu behind, I just can't relax with it at all. Back to windows but anyways Im not complaining

Why? What happened? Did you have hardware problems?

I coudn't ever go back to Windows after using Ubuntu. I love it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

This thread goes in circles and clearly proves that it is a case of different OS for different requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

why I don't understand is why some people think it's either/or... chances are , Windows came with your PC.... so what's the harm in Dual booting if you still need to use it?

Well for me I didn't want to pay for something that I'm not going to use. So I removed Windows from my laptop and got my refund for it from Dell. While I still have the disks (Dell didn't want them back) the license is no longer valid. And my desktop is a self-build - no OS purchased. My current project is a HTPC - waiting on the parts to arrive from Komplett. Again a self-build - no OS purchased. So I don't have the option of dual booting on any of them.

• Advertisement

Well for me I didn't want to pay for something that I'm not going to use. So I removed Windows from my laptop and got my refund for it from Dell.

That's amazing! Must have taken a lot of phone-time... I wonder will Dell get a refund from Microsoft? :)

That's amazing! Must have taken a lot of phone-time... I wonder will Dell get a refund from Microsoft? :)

It took one email to Dell Customer Care stating that although I could not buy the laptop without Windows pre-installed I had wiped the laptop and installed an OS of my choice and requested the refund for the unused Windows license. They replied two days later saying that it would be credited to my card within 2 weeks - and it was - about €45 iirc.

Search this forum (or the Unix one) for my post about it with the email I sent.

And they don't get a refund from MS - they just don't pay for that license - they pay in arrears.

Chaz wrote: »
    This thread goes in circles and clearly proves that it is a case of different OS for different requirements.

Well, this is what I like about Windows.

Vista related:
    Instant search (searches and indexes items so it instantly lists upon typing)
    DirectX 10 (most advanced graphics engine)
    S3 Sleep Mode (starts computer where you left off in like 5 seconds and only takes like 2 watts in mode)
    The new Task Manager is pretty nice (it lists A LOT of stuff)
    Other:
    MS Outlook is the best email tool hands-down (has everything to organize your life with)
    Windows Mobile integration with above (most versatile PDA OS)
    MS Office Ribbons (pictorial nextgen user-friendly interface that replaces menus)
    MS Office Real-Time preview (instant preview with property mouse-over)
    MS Office Mini-Toolbar (souped up context menu)
    Support for practically any peripheral hardware (esp. keyboards and mouse with extra buttons that make computer use a lot faster)
    Support for practically any software
    Overwhelming majority of “my world” uses Windows based stuff at least. Not only home, but industry as well. Hence makes it easier to interact and work. And regarding what croo said about SME not using MS as much, I don’t know what specifically he has experience with, but I just attended Atlantic Design and all I saw were Windows OS’s running everything from business laptops, to inspection machines, to fully automated robotic workcells. And even surgical equipment runs Windows so it's not like that's "unreliable"! The only exception are some CNC type machines which use some old looking proprietary interface and one Macbook where a company also offers drivers for a USB handheld microscope thing. If there was any Linux there, I surely missed it!

Instant search (searches and indexes items so it instantly lists upon typing)
    Ubuntu has Tracker, and MacOSX has had something similar for ages.
    Fair enough. I don't have a need for advanced graphics, but I can see why gamers would.
    S3 Sleep Mode (starts computer where you left off in like 5 seconds and only takes like 2 watts in mode)
    Apples have being doing this for years. My EeePC running Xandros does it too.
    The new Task Manager is pretty nice (it lists A LOT of stuff)
    "ps aux" :)
    MS Outlook is the best email tool hands-down (has everything to organize your life with)
    It's a god-awful piece of crap, and besides, Evolution does everything I need.
    Windows Mobile integration with above (most versatile PDA OS)
    WM is, for the moment, the only game in town for many embedded applications. This isn't necessarily a good thing; WM isn't a particularly stable platform, in my experience.
    MS Office Ribbons (pictorial nextgen user-friendly interface that replaces menus)
    Great, another new user interface paradigm.
    No idea what this means.
    MS Office Mini-Toolbar (souped up context menu)
    Great, another new user interface paradigm. ;)
    Support for practically any peripheral hardware (esp. keyboards and mouse with extra buttons that make computer use a lot faster)
    Always assuming that the manufacturer has bothered to produce drivers for the particular version of Windows you're running.
    Support for practically any software
    ...as long as it was written for Windows. That's a silly point, frankly.
    Overwhelming majority of “my world” uses Windows based stuff at least.
    And the overwhelming majority of mine uses Linux.
    Not only home, but industry as well. Hence makes it easier to interact and work. And regarding what croo said about SME not using MS as much, I don’t know what specifically he has experience with, but I just attended Atlantic Design and all I saw were Windows OS’s running everything from business laptops, to inspection machines, to fully automated robotic workcells. And even surgical equipment runs Windows so it's not like that's "unreliable"!
    Dear sweet jebus. If I thought I was going to be operated on by something running Windows, I'd run screaming out of the hospital.

Windows just isn't reliable enough for this type of thing. Case in point: I was queued up at the self-service checkouts at an Asda last year, and one of them was out of order. A supervisor came over and fiddled with it, and eventually rebooted it. I rolled my eyes and said "bloody Windows" - my gf was skeptical, but then it played the Windows startup tune!

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen flight information displays in airports stuck with Windows alert dialogs displayed.

Sure, Windows is ubiquitous - but I reckon it's mostly because there's a new generation of graduates learning .net, and feeling tied into the Windows platform as a result.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Or just updatedb and locate from the console.
    WM is, for the moment, the only game in town for many embedded applications. This isn't necessarily a good thing; WM isn't a particularly stable platform, in my experience.
    Linux to outship Windows Mobile by 2013
    "share of the market will put the open source operating system in second place in the smartphone popularity stakes, putting it behind Symbian and ahead of Microsoft's Windows Mobile worldwide"
    QFT. Linux also runs practically any software ... that's written for Linux :pac:
    Windows just isn't reliable enough for this type of thing. Case in point: I was queued up at the self-service checkouts at an Asda last year, and one of them was out of order. A supervisor came over and fiddled with it, and eventually rebooted it. I rolled my eyes and said "bloody Windows" - my gf was skeptical, but then it played the Windows startup tune!
    At the BoI ATM in Maynooth it took my card, churned away for nearly 2 minutes then spat out my card and I laughed at the Windows NT BSOD that I was looking at :D

It took one email to Dell Customer Care stating that although I could not buy the laptop without Windows pre-installed I had wiped the laptop and installed an OS of my choice and requested the refund for the unused Windows license.

Fair play to them, that's very impressive. They could easily have said "well, that's the product we sold to you, what you do with it is your business....".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

oscarBravo wrote:
    Ubuntu has Tracker
    or beagle or recoll ... choice that's what Open Source is all about!
    oscarBravo wrote:
    rasmasyean wrote:
    Fair enough. I don't have a need for advanced graphics, but I can see why gamers would.
    I don't know if that's so clean cut - I think many supporters of OpenGL 2 would argue –
    http://sendderek.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/next-gen-game-graphics-directx-10-vs-opengl21/
    is one of many such supporters

And, isn't OS/X Leopard OpenGL2?
    check out the “Behind the Scenes of Leopard” videos on youtube.
    Anybody I know that have seen both vista & OS/X desktops believe Leopard wins hands down... personally I am very happy with Compiz which has much more UI flare than vista. All my windows friends who see my notebook end up installing Ubuntu.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    rasmasyean wrote:
    No idea what this means.
    I think he means it has the equivalent of "window previews" in Compiz ... old news for us users of modern windows managers – we've had this for ages :)
    oscarBravo wrote:
    rasmasyean wrote:
    Overwhelming majority of “my world” uses Windows based stuff at least.
    And the overwhelming majority of mine uses Linux.
    Only if your world consists only of desktops rasmasyean.
    What about embedded systems & servers? Windows has no a majority in either of these areas?
    rasmasyean wrote:
    what croo said about SME not using MS as much
    croo didn't say that – he said
    croo wrote:
    Their (microsoft's) purchase of the likes of Navision & Great Plains give them some business presence but they are far from being leaders...
    AND
    croo wrote:
    but these apps are aimed at the SME ... I suspect ASUS (the builders of the EEEPC) would probably be too big for these applications. They are most likely a SAP or Oracle customer.
    rasmasyean wrote:
    If there was any Linux there, I surely missed it!
    yeah they don't tell skeptics and they, assuming the whole world uses windows, simply miss it!
    But look closely before you buy a TV, phone, washing machine or anything else electronic ... you just might be buying a linux machine and we wouldn't want that!

You have a flare for mixing topics in your rants rasmasyean... one minute you speak of the windows, the next vista, then next an office package, then next any application that runs on windows. Most desktops, for example, may run windows but most are not running vista! And users of XP (probably the most desktops) cannot run DirectX 10 – luckily though if they have invested in a modern graphics card they can still use OpenGL2 (with XP) and avail of all the functionality their card offers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Fair play to them, that's very impressive. They could easily have said "well, that's the product we sold to you, what you do with it is your business...."..
    The reason Macros42 can do this is because he must accept the terms of the windows license. If he does not, he (and you!) is entitled to return the product for a refund!

You could have installed a google desktop on Windows, but integration makes it better.

Not sure about what’s out there now, but professional software that use graphics will also benefit.

Apples have being doing this for years. My EeePC running Xandros does it too.

I just found out that Windows 98+ can too! But I guess I never noticed it or didn’t have the hardware that supported it! Lol

”ps aux" :)

Last time I tried this in unix, it was horrible to look at. Besides the Vista one has a lot more stuff than that.

It's a god-awful piece of crap

I don’t think practically every major corporation would use it if that were true, but everyone has an opinion.

I wasn’t aware of the embedded (other than cars), but I’m using it as a PDA/Phone device. It becomes unstable as you install 3rd part Apps on it…which is the only point of getting it anyway, but there’s no way around it and there are too many “amateur” 3rd party apps that are too juicy to pass so most WM devices are unstable, true. Maybe the IT restrictive ones the most stable because they test it.

No idea what this means

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/HA102034131033.aspx
    Always assuming that the manufacturer has bothered to produce drivers for the particular version of Windows you're running.

Well, most try to get up to date, but some lag behind or are discontinued, but there is still a wide selection for Vista nowadays.

I’m saying that majority of software IS written for windows.

Dear sweet jebus. If I thought I was going to be operated on by something running Windows, I'd run screaming out of the hospital.

I don’t think it’s going to “operate” on you like a robot…yet. It’s for stuff like monitoring life signals, imaging, and other patient details. When they make stuff like this, they don’t install a whole bunch of apps on it and allow the “user” to mess with it and surf the internet, etc. They make their applications, select a version of Windows, hardware, backup batteries, surround it with a liquid/germ proof case, and test a lot and get it certified.
    Sure, Windows is ubiquitous - but I reckon it's mostly because there's a new generation of graduates learning .net, and feeling tied into the Windows platform as a result.
    Only recently has MS made Visual Studio free in the effort to spread .NET. It’s always C and C++/java that is taught (perhaps some students pirating prior Visual Studios to use ;) ). Some use the linux compilers but that’s not as featured and I don’t think that’s preferred unless you have to. I’m not sure if .NET will be taught in college. It’s more like an “abstraction” of programming taught to pros who already know programming. The abstraction makes it a lot easier to use so you may not get the “theory” from learning it which is usually what college is about. Maybe a few students have done their special projects with .NET, though.

• Advertisement

Fair play to them, that's very impressive. They could easily have said "well, that's the product we sold to you, what you do with it is your business...."..

What croo said. I didn't accept the license and returned it.

Can't find my thread on boards about it - here's the equivalent on unreal.ie that has my mail and their reply verbatim.

http://unreal.ie/forum/thread/3765

Advertisement