Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St John Ambulance

Options
  • 07-03-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Can some one please outline the different levels of training available in SJA.

What the y cover and how they relate to the PHECC guidelines.

Also what resources do they have at their disposal, how many ambulances can they provide to a duty, kildare region, 4x4's mobile command units, and such

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 !!!!!conor!!!!!

I could give you an answer from a red cross perspective if that would be any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

www.sja.ie will help you out, I'm sure you can contact them and ask directly.

I don't know if you are looking to join a vol or are looking to get medical cover?

Also check out The Order of Malta www.orderofmalta.ie

Or www.redcross.ie

Or Civil Defence www.civildefence.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Elessar wrote: »
    www.sja.ie will help you out, I'm sure you can contact them and ask directly.

I don't know if you are looking to join a vol or are looking to get medical cover?

Also check out The Order of Malta www.orderofmalta.ie

Or www.redcross.ie

Or Civil Defence www.civildefence.ie

I've always wondered what the difference between all the above are. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

dory wrote: »
    I've always wondered what the difference between all the above are. Anyone know?

There Different Voluntary Organisations that pretty much do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

maglite, feel free to PM if you need any answers.

I'm heavily involved in SJAB and happy to answer any questions.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

There Different Voluntary Organisations that pretty much do the same thing.

sjb branched awwy from omac for religious reasons and bought are 100% funded by donations. whereas the cd and red cross are funded by government also the cd are much more into rescue e.g. mountain and river while the others do more ambulance first aid and community work.
    omac is currently the largest voluntary body in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

moose112 wrote: »
    sjb branched awwy from omac for religious reasons and bought are 100% funded by donations. whereas the cd and red cross are funded by government also the cd are much more into rescue e.g. mountain and river while the others do more ambulance first aid and community work.
    omac is currently the largest voluntary body in Ireland.

Hold on there now Moose, Red Cross is NOT funded by the Govt except for grants to assist in purchasing ambulances which the SJA and OMAC also get. CD is funded by the Govt. In fact, OMAC has a much much bigger paid staff whereas RC is nearly entirely voluntary run except for handful of staff.
    RC is by far the largest voluntary body in Ireland, just look around and see how many units of RC are around compared to OMAC and I am not getting into any reasons or anything here, just that the spread of RC is far more than OMAC.

TO Answer the poster regarding which one you would join, it mostly depends on where you live as its rare you get both very active in the same area.

Firstly check out the jobs advertised on the irish red cross website more jobs advertised on that than the whole full time staff in omac.
    When the goverment wanted to see how many people were volunteering in Ireland they wrote to all voluntery groups looking for membership numbers and found omac was the biggest.
    The government also donates money to rc foregin work(have no problem with this what so ever) but omac international recieves €0.

I'm sure theres more jobs advertised but look at actual numbers employed, ads for jobs doesn't equal no of people employed, just turnover.
    I never trust these numbers volunteering to be honest as theres loads on every organisation that join every year and rarely turn up etc, its the work done on the ground. Theres branches of both organisations who i am sure have lots of people on thebooks yet same people out every weekend helping.
    Lastly, nothing against OMAC but RC is most recognised humanitarian organisation worldwide and i can understand why money is channelled through this but i wouldn't consider that as funding, thats merely the govts foreign aid buidget going through a crowd that can apply it, we don't see any of it here on the ground.
    Fair play to you for being involved in OMAC.

Lads let's not make this a petty mine is bigger than yours argument.

Just to dispel some myths here: OMAC receives no government funding, and only has a handful of paid staff who do administration work. There are no paid medical staff. Currently it has (Well) over 135 emergency ambulances, minibuses and 4x4s and something like 80 units.

All first aid organisations are great to have, and we all need to get along :)

• Advertisement

By all means, i don't want any argument and not be petty at all but the fact that you have come in with myths to be dispelled when in fact, the thread claims that the RC is different when in reality its the exact same as OMAC as is the SJA, no government funding except the odd grant, not much paid staff and lots of volunteers. Its wrong to start differentiating between organisations when in fact, we are all the same except for locations.

Can see your points alright. Suppose we all think our own little group is the best:D

Of course, particularly if the nearest OMAC/SJA/RC is maybe 50 miles away and we all of course think we are the poor cousin compared to the rest but we must all fundraise the same and have the same costings. Its a pity in some ways that there are 3 different organisations doing the same thing for no reason, much easier if there was one, even for teaching resources etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

moose112 wrote: »
    sjb branched awwy from omac for religious reasons
    Actually, SJAB has been in existence in Ireland since 1903; OMAC was not set up until 1938. More importantly, despite its links to the Order of St John (which is a Protestant order), the Brigade is most definitely a non-sectarian organisation and has made a point of being so for decades.

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Actually, SJAB has been in existence in Ireland since 1903; OMAC was not set up until 1938. More importantly, despite its links to the Order of St John (which is a Protestant order), the Brigade is most definitely a non-sectarian organisation and has made a point of being so for decades.

Does it matter in fairness? Its about what they do now, today and how they assist the community effort. Religion has nothing to do with it and origins are only history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

TheDriver wrote: »
    Does it matter in fairness? Its about what they do now, today and how they assist the community effort. Religion has nothing to do with it and origins are only history.
    Totally. Judaean People's Front/People's Front of Judaea tbh.

Lads topic is veering off course please keep to the original Topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

maglite wrote: »
    Can some one please outline the different levels of training available in SJA.

What the y cover and how they relate to the PHECC guidelines.

Also what resources do they have at their disposal, how many ambulances can they provide to a duty, kildare region, 4x4's mobile command units, and such

Thanks

So they are not sectarian...

WHAT LEVELS OF FIRST AID DO THEY PROVIDE???

I know about RC, i'm involved.
    I have friends in OMAC

I dont care about the latter 2

The fact that the may or may/not have paid staff is irrelevant.

Are they all OFA's???,

Thanks to the offers of Pm's they will be taken up

Well Red Cross offers:
    Practical First Aid
    Occupational First Aid
    Cardiac First Responder
    Emergency First Responder and soon EMT.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Well Red Cross offers:
    Practical First Aid
    Occupational First Aid
    Cardiac First Responder
    Emergency First Responder and soon EMT.

They don't its EMFR, and the red cross is NOT the SJA

• Advertisement

Emfr is being phased out and EFR being phased in

EMFR is still the course and will be fro at least the rest of the year.

Now, SJA, ideas about staying on topic

I'm SJAB and i'd love to receive a grant from the Govt to replace our Ambo which has gone to the mechanic in the sky!! Thanks to HQ who lend one out when we need it !

Our level of training varies from Division to Division. My own has members whose qualifactions vary from Basic First Aid, Cardiac First Responder,OFA, EMFR, trainee EMT, RGN.

If you're blessed with having Paramedic or above and he/she is willing to share their training, well that's a bonus and something to be embraced.

with regards to PHECC on EMT crews, time will tell if it's going to affect but personally i think its going to have a disasterous affect on the various organisations throughout the country whose Ambos turn out week out , week in.

Basically the way things are going most organisations are following PHECC Guidelines OMAC are as i just did a PHECC CFR course which i have to say is taking a step back as i am already a First Responder & Aed operator with OMAC Guidelines, but i think its great that the qualification and training will be the same in every Organisation when they adopt the PHECC Guidelines.

True B-man , but how is IRC, OMAC & SJAB going to provide an EMT for every ambulance that turns out every week ??

In my own mind, probably cynically, it's just a way of HSE Ambulance forcing in on duties and charging a lot more than us voluntaries. God knows that's probably why they took over pitch duties @ Croke Park, Lansdowne, Dalymount etc, etc. €€€€€€€ for HSE.

Does this mean that HSE Ambulance service will be seen travelling alongside @ Leopardstown, Punchestown, Curragh, Fairyhouse etc :confused::confused::confused:

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    True B-man , but how is IRC, OMAC & SJAB going to provide an EMT for every ambulance that turns out every week ??

In my own mind, probably cynically, it's just a way of HSE Ambulance forcing in on duties and charging a lot more than us voluntaries. God knows that's probably why they took over pitch duties @ Croke Park, Lansdowne, Dalymount etc, etc. €€€€€€€ for HSE.

Does this mean that HSE Ambulance service will be seen travelling alongside @ Leopardstown, Punchestown, Curragh, Fairyhouse etc :confused::confused::confused:

I haven't seen any real evidence of that Bilko, lets not jump to conclusions.

Eventually all the orgs will have their own EMT training programmes so long term it's likely that EMT will be the new top level grade. It's really not all that different from the old EFR, pharmacology and ECG readings being two major differences. It's just length of time training needed that is the big hurdle.

I haven't seen any real evidence of that Bilko, lets not jump to conclusions.

Eventually all the orgs will have their own EMT training programmes so long term it's likely that EMT will be the new top level grade. It's really not all that different from the old EFR, pharmacology and ECG readings being two major differences. It's just length of time training needed that is the big hurdle.

Yes the new EMT Course will be similiar to Current First Responder Levels with a few extras obviously 4 week work placement has been mentioned. PHECC Guidlines have taking it back to basics so if your a First Responder in either OMAC SJAB or RC i think your would be well able for the NEW EMT Course

As regards to a EMT on every ambulance i think this will be a very gradual move over time when the course becomes more mainstream.

sadly that's one of the problems with the voluntaries. As we are all voluntary, getting the time off work to tie in with EFR / EMT courses is a hurdle.

How does this affect RC & OMAC members ?

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    sadly that's one of the problems with the voluntaries. As we are all voluntary, getting the time off work to tie in with EFR / EMT courses is a hurdle.

How does this affect RC & OMAC members ?

I don't know the specifics, but I'd say the course will be run over weekends in OMAC, with placements similar. Nothing is finalised yet of course.

• Advertisement

I don't know the specifics, but I'd say the course will be run over weekends in OMAC, with placements similar. Nothing is finalised yet of course.

Yes exactly we will just have to wait and see.

Advertisement