Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Paisley Cup (5 a side Tournament)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

do we have a keeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

do we have a keeper?
    Forget a keeper, Ed and Art (and you:p) can rotate.

More importantly, the gear.

Can you pick i up from my ma's gaf before you head out to tallaght with Martin.

I'll be there from early to go to the funeral anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do we have a keeper?

keeper will not be a problem at all. we are fine for this......rotataion, rotation, rotation. and me and art are both carrying injuries, so maybe one of us will be in goals all the time, who knows.

martin, pick you up half 9? collins avenue entrance DCU, beside the roundabout at nurses building??

Group C
    A - Boards.ie team
    B - Homer1 team
    C - The Urchins
    D - Stamullenred team#

AvB (P3) 10:30 - 10:50
    CvD (P3) 10:55 - 11:15
    BvC (P4) 11:20 - 11:40
    DvA (P3) 11:45 - 12:05
    AvC (P3) 12:10 - 12:30
    BvD (P4) 12:10 - 12:30

so shall we meet at 10.00 lads? Larry is going, Ian aint.

so looks like we have 7. is there anybody else from the squad that could go?

7 is enough lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

I can go if you're really stuck but was hoping to watch the match at noon. On top of that i got a 5 a side game tonight so i'll prob be knackered as it is.

Still if you're short lemme know.

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    I can go if you're really stuck but was hoping to watch the match at noon. On top of that i got a 5 a side game tonight so i'll prob be knackered as it is.

Still if you're short lemme know.

its totally up to you. our fixtures maybe over by the time the match is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

martin, pick you up half 9? collins avenue entrance DCU, beside the roundabout at nurses building??

Cool, see ya then

know where this place is martin?
    I don't have a clue

A mate of mine who plays solely in goals (class 5 a side keeper) is interested. We could play him the whole time meaning we can free up an extra person. Up to you Ed I suppose

• Advertisement

know where this place is martin?
    I don't have a clue

I've been there before but got a lift from the luas stop nearby. Reckon I can find it ye

I see its on the Greenhills road, should be alright to find so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I see its on the Greenhills road, should be alright to find so...

http://www.astropark.ie/tallaght.php ;)

DesF wrote: »
    Will there be a bookie there?

just saw these odds on paddypower.com

shay to score any goal over the course of the day - 150/1
    shay to hurt somebody, other than himself - evens.
    shay to get banned from playing in this comp ever again, 4/6

more on request.

EDIT: re your mate, Martin, i dont know really and i dont mind either way, what does everybody else tink? would be good to have a goalie, saving that however, if me or art are injured, is he any good outfield!?! id say ya, but what do the other 6 lads think?

Just forgot the United match is on and he'll want to watch that so that'll probably rule him out. And he wouldn't be much use outfield. Class keeper. I'll see what he says anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

To be honest, Ed and Art are both very good keepers and with 7 players already I think we have enough. Carl is an absolutely savage 5-a-side keeper but don't think he's available for this.

Looking forward to this should be good, these tournaments are always very competitive and very tight, but it looks like we've a very decent team. Big pity Gav is working cos he's literally a goal machine in 5-a-side.

just saw these odds on paddypower.com

shay to score any goal over the course of the day - 150/1
    shay to hurt somebody, other than himself - evens.
    shay to get banned from playing in this comp ever again, 4/6

funny lad ed :D

I'll take you up on that 150/1
    5 euro down.

I've opened my own book on it, odds as follows:

Ed to do his injury in again, after claiming to be 100% fit : even money
    Ed to cry about playing up front until we let him: 4/6
    Ed to get sent off for verbally abusing an official: 1/50 on

he's literally a goal machine in 5-a-side.

here i am! oh wait, did shay say something?
    Ed to cry about playing up front until we let him: 4/6

u dont have a choice in this, i am playing upfront!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Eh, a bit of a feckin disaster for us, we gave a terrible account of ourselves to be honest. We somehow managed to lose all 3 games, two of them 4-3 and we were 3-0 up in one of those.

We were caught totally cold in our first game and let a bunch of aul lads make us look like the aul lads - first 5 minutes we were all over them, then we got a little tired and lost it. Same way as when you warm up before a game you're knackered after 5 minutes and then take a breather - that's the idea of a warmup but that first game was pretty much our warmup and we sufferred badly. That said, the opposition were in the same position so we just weren't up to the pace today, though no criticism to the lads that filled in, but if Carl was in goal I'd say he'd have stopped at least 1/3 of the soft goals we let in.

We were very sluggish all round though fair play to Larry for bagging a load of goals. If we played that way in the 11-a-side league we'd be down 5-0 by half time every week, so I guess it's a good thing we play weekday evenings and not hungover at the weekend cos sweating beer clearly doesn't get the best out of us :D

Would defo be on for playing a few more tournaments like this at the weekend cos it's intense stuff and even when playing as bad as we did it's still a good workout for the sharpness, so if anyone hears of more tournaments, let us know.

Don't mind Jules. We won the thing. Larry got player of the tournament and I scored an overhead kick in the last minute to win it. Easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

alright lads i registered on here months back and forgot i was playing against ye yesterday stamullen reds i never knew ye had a full team till i seen the kit.what league do ye play???we got knocked out in the quarters going into the last minute fortunate to be level four all thanks to two own goals,the ripper(baldy old guy playing with us)tought the ref blew for a free and caught the ball and the others scored off the free kick,gutted!!the other team the gor out of our group was bet in the semi's

ya, we could have played alot better yesterday, the first game especially when we were all stuck to the ground. i think a few of us were still suffering from the alcohol that was consumed a few hours earlier :( .

we improved a bit in the second and third games, loosing both by 1 goal. the funny thing was, that despite loosing the first 2 games, we still had a chance of qualifying had we won the last game by a few goals. however, our first game performance set the tone for the day and it was hard to come back from it. looks like most of the teams were of the same standard and there was very little in it.

robpurf wrote: »
    alright lads i registered on here months back and forgot i was playing against ye yesterday stamullen reds i never knew ye had a full team till i seen the kit.what league do ye play???we got knocked out in the quarters going into the last minute fortunate to be level four all thanks to two own goals,the ripper(baldy old guy playing with us)tought the ref blew for a free and caught the ball and the others scored off the free kick,gutted!!the other team the gor out of our group was bet in the semi's

ya, we have a team now in the main dublin astro league that is run from march to september and then october to february, this is our fourth season. we have made excellent progress since our first season finishing last, then 7th in the 2nd season and 4th last season, so we are getting there! we have stepped up a few leagues this year, we are now in the top social league i think, which is overall division 5, we were in division 11 last season and 13 the season before i think. there is however very little difference in the leagues and its down to location i think more than anything else.

we have a squad of 23, of which 7 were there yesterday. we would have had a real chance of winning it had we had one or 2 more of them :D.

Thanks for the support lads it was a great day with over 100 players taken part.Some super football was played and most of the groups were very tight.We are looking at making this an annual event so we hope to see you guys next year.

I taught you lot may be interested in these pics,the Memorial got its public Unveiling at the weekend.Thanks again for the support.

full20memorialjn0.jpg

irregular20ladsow6.jpg

Advertisement