Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Bray

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to live on the south side near to the M50 and dart to town, Bray looks like a nice town any areas that are nice to buy in and any to avoid?

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

There's some nice places to live yes.

The newer areas I suppose are on the Southern Cross, places such as Riddlesford, Swanbrook and Deepdales.. not sure what else is up there.

There's no particularly bad areas really. Little Bray tends to have more older houses although I don't know if there's new houses in Cork Abbey which is nearly on the exit out onto the M11.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Bad areas, Fassroe and any of the surrounding areas - in fact most of little bray, Deerpark, Ballywaltrim Heights, Kilbride Grove, Old Court Park & Drive, a lot of wolfe tone. The seafront

hmmmmm there is probably loads more but they came straight off the top of my head

hmmmm i didn't want to say those areas and have the face eaten off me by someone but yes, they are places you maybe should avoid!

Those estates listed above are a bit away from the town whereas little bray is at the end by shankill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

We're at the Shankill side of Bray (very near Corke Abbey). We like it a lot, our estate is very quiet. We don't go out all that much in Bray, but there are a good few nice pubs on the Seafront.

The DART is a hefty walk though, we're pretty much halfway between Bray and Shankill stations. The buses are alright - the 45, 145, 84 and 45A go right past the entrance of the estate. These are of varying frequency though - the 145 being the most regular. That gets me as far as Donnybrook in 30-35 minutes most days.

There are plenty of really nice estates on the Greystones side of Bray as well - we checked out loads of them when we were house hunting. I'm trying to think of some of the estates, but it's over a year now. Elgin Heights comes to mind as one we really liked.

If you take the right hand fork at the McDonalds on the main street, there are lots of nice estates a bit up the road there. Saran Wood (?) is a new development, but the houses seemed very expensive compared to other ones in Bray.
    hmmmm i didn't want to say those areas and have the face eaten off me by someone but yes, they are places you maybe should avoid!

Yeah, this type of topic is a hard one to call. I don't like seeing nasty or snobby comments made about certain areas or people who live there (that's not aimed at you by the way), but at the same time, people want to know what the story is about an estate they may be looking to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I live in one of the areas mentioned and I will agree except for the beach (not the area I was talking , that is a lovely area but you would need to win the lotto to live anywhere near it! Although if you were near the late pubs it would be noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Thanks guys thats a start

I live up the top end of Bray.

Estates around me are nice Brook Wood, Ardmore Wood, Killarney Park, Killarney Heights, Richmond Park, Cloverhill, Ardmore Park, Ardmore Lawn, Glenlucan, Glencourt, Millerswood, The Nurseries...

about 20 mins walk from centre of town (does bray have a centre??)...so around mc donalds and then it'd be another 10/15 to walk down to the dart.

We're served by the 145 and 45a bus routes.

Nice estates coming off the seafront though... Loreto Grange, Aravon, Sidmonton Gardens etc.

Sometimes Bray does get a bad rep, or more so that people like to slag it but it's alot better than some places! can't say i've a problem with it, easy local transport, great social life (for me anyway), nitelink serves us, happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I too live in that area (Ardmore Wood) and it's a nice quiet place to live. From my house it's a good 30 mins walk to the Dart, and a bit longer back as it's uphill for part of the way! The 145 and 45A busses go along Herbert Road at that point, literally only a few minutes walk away.

I have to say that Bray as a town is a bit disappointing though, considering it's size and population, and could do with an injection of good quality shops to replace some of those on the slightly shabby main street. There has supposed to be a new shopping centre (Florentine Centre) being built on the main street as long as I've lived here (7 years) and there are more ambitious plans for a new town centre to the north of the Dargle on the golf club lands, but that's a long way off. Hopefully that will inject a bit of life into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i live near the beach (putland road) and my family didn't win the lotto ;), were just around 20 odd years ago to buy a house :D

as alun said bray desparately needs a face lift, the florentine centre has been in development for over five years and there are no foundations in yet. i like the idea of the town centre on the golf course but again hasn't even started, i think people even still play golf there.

the beach area is fine, you may get some drunkeness tom foolery from time to time, like for example about 5 years ago my dad left his car out on the street instead of parking in in the garage and it was walked on, and also someone poured paint stripper on a neighbours car although i wouldn't put that down to drunken louts and more of some sort of revenge.

i love living in bray, despite the fact i don't go out in bray that much, but it's dead handy to be close to town, live in a nice quiet area have decent transport (although i wish the 145 ran more like dun laoghaire's 46a).

a couple of weekends ago i was out driving with a friend and it came up in the conversation that bray is pretty cool the way if you drive for 5 minutes you can be in the middle of nowhere (up near little sugarloaf/sugarloaf) or drive 5 minutes in the opposite direction and be in a big built up area.

the southern cross area is the only area in bray served by the 84x which is a great bus that runs along the N11 and skips all the little pissy stops along the 145 route, it gets me into work (donnybrook bus depot.) in 30 minutes and is never really packed as there can be about 3 or 4 of them running in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Around Ardmore Studios, eg Ardmore Wood mentioned above is a nice place to live, 5 min drive from Main Street, a local shop (now Londis, previously Green Tree) just up the road, the 145 every 10mins and a Finnegan;s Nitelink service (Dublin Bus Nitelink doesn't go by here). Bit of a walk to the DART, but just hop on the 45a or a 145 to bring you down to station/main street! Also get to see film productions some times!!!! If your house looks out onto the studios!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love the seafront but personally, i have to say, i wouldnt live there if i won the lottery. I have friends from there, and the whole weekend vomit and piss in the garden would just wreck my head

daisy123 wrote: »
    Around Ardmore Studios, eg Ardmore Wood mentioned above is a nice place to live, 5 min drive from Main Street, a local shop (now Londis, previously Green Tree) just up the road, the 145 every 10mins and a Finnegan;s Nitelink service (Dublin Bus Nitelink doesn't go by here). Bit of a walk to the DART, but just hop on the 45a or a 145 to bring you down to station/main street! Also get to see film productions some times!!!! If your house looks out onto the studios!:cool:

And mine does look onto Ardmore Studios

\oh i remember the days as a young kid going into the woods beside my house to pet the horses used in braveheart as they walked them up and down!!

You can always tell when somethings being filmed coz of this constant ringing of a bell...that or all the gun shot noises!! :)

Yeah Londis is just up the road or we also have centra & the off licence etc on the boghall which is very handy rather than going over to tesco!

Oh and there's also a load of apartments in the Headlands on Putland Road, they're pretty snazzy inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can always tell when somethings being filmed coz of this constant ringing of a bell...that or all the gun shot noises!! :)
    Ah yes, those bells! Not to forget the low flying helicopters when someone 'important' is playing in something they're filming there.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I lived in bray for five years and enjoyed it. It's like any other town it has it's good and bad, go to bray and have a good look around. stay out there the night, see what it's like after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

daisy123 wrote: »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! How I loved that shop as a young'un(used to live in Richmond Park till I was 6). Go there so often.

Ah but you can't beat my local..... Carmels!! As much of a pain in the bum as she is, she has such good sweeties and cheap crisps!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Ah but you can't beat my local..... Carmels!! As much of a pain in the bum as she is, she has such good sweeties and cheap crisps!!!!

That is such a class place! Used to love going there.

Anyway, I lived in the Southern Cross for most of my Bray years (moved there in '97 and moved to Kilkenny in '04) and I used to love it there. Finnegans bus brings you down to the DART station and runs every half an hour (?). Only problem about there is that you've no access to Greystones/anywhere that requires the 84/184 route unless you walk all the way down to the bus stop at the end of the Southern Cross.

Bray has a bit of a rep, but as long as you avoid the rough areas (Boghall Rd, Wolfe Tone) then you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Even Wolfe Tone isn't that bad anymore. Don't really hear of any trouble there anymore. Houses are tiny though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The Green tree is a Londis now??? jesus!

Oh and I thought the florantine centre was a no go after Dundrum opened didn't all the shops planned for the Bray centre pull out?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The shop is called Bills News, not Carmels! Don't associate that brilliant establishment with that fruit cakes name. It's sacrilege. :p

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The shop is called Bills News, not Carmels! Don't associate that brilliant establishment with that fruit cakes name. It's sacrilege. :p

Oh I know it's called Bills News, the SAME sign has been there for as long as i can remember but everybody knows it as Carmels!!

Yeah I think I heard something about the Florentine Centre & Dundrum opening caused problems but it's been years that it's been just a building site!! They ruined a perfectly good carpark!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I heard the Florentine centre ran out of funding. Bray golf course is still being used, I think it's a pay as you go thingy now, no membership. But there's still activity in there. Development will be starting soon enough though.

There's only a few places I'd actually be on edge walking through in Bray, pretty much the ones mentioned above also, but I know people who live in most of them and it's just a few bad apples who give them a bad name. Then again, a lot of trouble makers in Bray are just wannabes anyway and are pretty much harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Bray has too many schools. There are at least 13-15 schools in total including Gerards area. There is probably a few more I have forgotten. Too many school children.

How does it have too many schools?

There's a great choice of schools here. N ot enough secondary schools though, the only options i had were Loreto & Kilians... couldn't do Colaiste Raithin coz I had gone to Patricks so didn't have all the irish. If we're talking fee paying, yes i could have gone to gerards or hopped on the dart to killiney/dalkey

And somebody mentioned Wolfe Tone, I have to agree you hear very little about anything going on there anymore but yes the houses are tiny which I wouldn't like. I forgot that there's houses just off thr round about beside the old dell, on the way to the southern cross. And yes I agree, it is a the bad apples that give bray a bad name...although the place definitely needs an update... it looks grubby when you drive through

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How does it have too many schools?

There's a great choice of schools here. N ot enough secondary schools though, the only options i had were Loreto & Kilians... couldn't do Colaiste Raithin coz I had gone to Patricks so didn't have all the irish. If we're talking fee paying, yes i could have gone to gerards or hopped on the dart to killiney/dalkey

And somebody mentioned Wolfe Tone, I have to agree you hear very little about anything going on there anymore but yes the houses are tiny which I wouldn't like. I forgot that there's houses just off thr round about beside the old dell, on the way to the southern cross. And yes I agree, it is a the bad apples that give bray a bad name...although the place definitely needs an update... it looks grubby when you drive through
    a mate of mine done 6 years in bray school project and then went into colaiste raithin, it can be done but i'd rather him than you or me tbh :D

Exactly!!:D

my point just being that there's pres, kilians, thomas's, brendans that guys can go to where there's only kilians, loreto & thomas's for girls. Then again I did go to Patricks which is just the feeder school for Loreto anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Exactly!!:D

my point just being that there's pres, kilians, thomas's, brendans that guys can go to where there's only kilians, loreto & thomas's for girls. Then again I did go to Patricks which is just the feeder school for Loreto anyway!

Didnt see it that Way! I suppose that would account for the number of schools.

Still 13 schools. There are two more in the centre off the main street on Florence rd and there is aravon in old conna and tbh too many to count. There is also Bray school project and one up by everest music shop.There is also several language schools and 2 spanish school's.There is Gerards and another major secondary school near there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MsOldBlueEyes

There was nothing wrong with Kilbride Grove when I was growing up there, in fact Richmond park and Herbert park were worse than Kilbride....

The Southern Cross area is a nice area!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Does anyone know what Ripley Hills like to live in?

How far is it from the beach and dart?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Pixied wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Ripley Hills like to live in?

How far is it from the beach and dart?

Yeh its on the Killarney Road it is quite a nice area its bout half hour walk to the sea though + dart

Advertisement