Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lotto Madness: Rollover Extravaganza

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well they definitely make more money if there's a rollover. They don't top it up by the same amount that they would if there was a new draw and more people will obviously play it.

Bit of advice for you; don't waste your money on the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yours Sincerely
    Brian P. Nolan

I've got to say I hate posters who do this. :mad:
    Will you post "Dear micmclo" in your reply?
    Makes me think I'm still in work reading another poxy email.
    This is boards.ie, no need for such nonsense!

Anyway, you know a lot about the lotto and it's audited by KPMG. You see the friendly old guy in every draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Raspberry

The lotto is for people who don't understand statistics and probability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Are you for real??

Firstly this belongs in Conspriacy Theories.

The lotto is drawn live on TV with independant adjudicators present.
    I would imagine it would be nighon impossible to to 'fix' it. The balls seem to be rolling around pretty randomly to me.
    Also, is the national lottery a profit making organisation? I thought it was State run hence the huge donations to charity etc.

Its all just a coincidence. Its a game of chance, coincidences happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

That's why they have an independent observer from Stokes-Kennedy-Crowley. :D

Conspiracy theories forum, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Oh wow! I just remember you now Brian. You started the best ever feedback thread a while back.

I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. 5* thread.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That and the moon landing. Tell the people!

Btw, love the tinfoil hat. *sings* I am watching you through a camera*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

best

thread

evahhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Just because the odds of winning are 1 in 8,145,060 (or whatever, I havent checked the maths), doesnt mean that if 8,145,060 people play, someone will win.

A huge number of combinations will never be picked by anybody - 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc. Nobody ever picks combinations like that, but statistically, they're just as likely to occur as any random bunch of numbers.

There are also 'popular' numbers that people are naturally more likely to pick (3,5,7 etc), and the fact that people often pick birthdays means the numbers over 31 have less representation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The chap from Stokes Kennedy Crowley gives the signal.

Stop complaining Brian P. Nolan

It could be you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Threads merged. Don't fall into old habits, little monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Telly Bingo Tuesday Nights ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Hey Brian Nolan,

Where is your thread titled "Is the lotto a fix" that you PMed me about a little while ago? And why do you want me to look at it?

I can't find it. In fact I can't find any thread entitled "Is the lotto a fix".

kleefarr wrote: »
    Hey Brian Nolan,

Where is your thread titled "Is the lotto a fix" that you PMed me about a little while ago? And why do you want me to look at it?

I can't find it. In fact I can't find any thread entitled "Is the lotto a fix".
    It was merged with this thread. See from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Raspberry wrote: »
    The lotto is for people who don't understand statistics and probability.

:p at anti-lotto fascists :)

Obviously the odds are against you. Everyone understands that. Some of the money goes to good causes. Be charitable. Only a couple of Euro a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was PMed to look at this thread...I said all I had to give on this subject back in the last thread on this, which I can't be arsed finding, but if you find it I have some long winded BS and half assed maths about how it looks rigged to be won at times of national holiday...of course there's no obvious way in which the draw can be rigged without a fairly large conspiracy of people, surrounding machines and balls and databases of numbers that have already been picked and all that other crap, but it's stil hard to reconcile the cooincidence...then again those cooincidences are probably more likely to happen than someone actually picking the 6 numbers.
    Whatever about the lotto, scratchcards are worse...what a bloody scam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Darn I wouldn't mind winning the Lotto right about now. I might get the second Lotto ticket of my life next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ruu wrote: »
    The chap from Stokes Kennedy Crowley gives the signal.
    /nods.

For all the nay-sayers, just don't buy a ticket.
    I've bought a few in my time. Nothing major happened and Jean Luc Picard didn't come after me in a black helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

ok.

Well, when they say it looks likely, they probably mean the betting pattern suggest that a much greater number of tickets than normal have been sold, therefore a greater number of possible combinations have been covered.

Example.

one lotto ticket is sold with 2 lines in the entire country. Probably not going to win (unless they select it from there super computer in their hidden lair under the river liffey)

OR

12 million tickets are sold nationwide with an average of 5 lines = greater chance of somebody winning (and looks more likely than an average week when 6 million are sold....as an example)

Why were you PMing people to look at your thread?
    Do you still believe that = more people will buy tickets = more chance of someone winning.
    This looks like a job for Captain Obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's just been announced on RTE that the jackpot wasn't won. Another big rollover. And the draw isn't due for another 45 minutes. Looks like Brian P Nolan was right (or wrong).

Looks like there will be a gigantic pot at stake next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Slow coach wrote: »
    It's just been announced on RTE that the jackpot wasn't won. Another big rollover. And the draw isn't due for another 45 minutes. Looks like Brian P Nolan was right (or wrong).

Looks like there will be a gigantic pot at stake next Saturday.

isn't the draw at 8??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Slow Coach has a time machine

Mike.

/dons tin foil hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but then I woke up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A Lotto Madness - The Movie
    "Letters from Under the Liffey"

Starring Tom Hanks as Brian P Nolan

The Conspiracy Movie of the DECADE.

One Mans Fight to Battle the Might of LOTTO HQ....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The National Lottery claim that tonight’s (Saturday the 8th of March) competition which they state looks likely to be won is heading for €13,000,000.

How can you say that it looks like it will be won tonight if it is a game of chance?
    Hi Jackass

No they did say it looks like it will be won.
    Well, they were wrong, it wasn't.

So ... either they don't control it after all ... OR ... they realised you were on to them and changed their strategy!

In which case ... >_>

... we're ALL in danger! <_<

/flees

• Advertisement

Ah sh1te, I wanted a feedback thread. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement