Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lotto Madness: Rollover Extravaganza

Options
  • 02-03-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I've got the requisite tabloidy thread title out of the way, wtf is with the lotto rolling over lately? I think this is around the third time in the last year its rolled over to a huge sum. Its gonna be ~10/11 million on Weds... will you be "playing" lotto?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

No. The lotto is a tax on stupidity.

The odds of winning are too great to make it worth a gamble and you'd get more enjoyment off putting a tenner on a match. More money but longer spectacle than just watching balls come out of a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I pay my taxes!

I would play because, even though the chances are incredably slim, it is a tiny glimmer of hope that I could have a life of complete relaxation and enjoyment. Money mighn't bring you happiness, but it certainly feckin helps and neither does the pressure and responsability and time of working away your life and filling in the down time with living.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Ahh the ironing of someone claiming the lotto is a tax on stupidity.

Apart from the fact that the money generated goes towards things such as keeping sick children from dying, and keeping addiction support centres operating, there is also the fact that while the odds of winning the jackpot are so high as to make it unlikely you would ever win even if you played it twice a week every week of your life, the jackpot isn't the only prize on offer, and the odds of matching 3 or 4 numbers are much more favourable, infact people win ten or twenty euro, for there 2 euro ticket quite frequently, I won 700 euro a couple of years ago myself, so even if I had doe the lotto every week since then (although I didnt) I would still be in the black. There is also the fact that people do win the jackpot, I'm sure while you sit there trying to sound clever waffling on about a tax on stupidity that woman from limerick who won E100million+ is sitting on her private jet to the carribean to spend a week in one of her mansions reading this thread on her top of the range laptop and pissing herself over the idiocy involved in making your comment. You smell strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

You are getting value when the jackpot is over 8.2 million.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cson wrote: »
    Now that I've got the requisite tabloidy thread title out of the way, wtf is with the lotto rolling over lately?
    I think it might be because no-one won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think it might be because no-one won it.

My sarcasm-o-meter looks like its having an epileptic fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

slipss wrote: »
    Ahh the ironing of someone claiming the lotto is a tax on stupidity.

Apart from the fact that the money generated goes towards things such as keeping sick children from dying, and keeping addiction support centres operating, there is also the fact that while the odds of winning the jackpot are so high as to make it unlikely you would ever win even if you played it twice a week every week of your life, the jackpot isn't the only prize on offer, and the odds of matching 3 or 4 numbers are much more favourable, infact people win ten or twenty euro, for there 2 euro ticket quite frequently, I won 700 euro a couple of years ago myself, so even if I had doe the lotto every week since then (although I didnt) I would still be in the black. There is also the fact that people do win the jackpot, I'm sure while you sit there trying to sound clever waffling on about a tax on stupidity that woman from limerick who won E100million+ is sitting on her private jet to the carribean to spend a week in one of her mansions reading this thread on her top of the range laptop and pissing herself over the idiocy involved in making your comment. You smell strange.

If you don't understand statistics, don't spout on about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Statistics? Spout? On?!?!?

The money generated goes towards good causes and sometimes people win stuff, thats all I said.

(Damn maths heads, everything has to be statistics this and percentages that.)

My sarcasm-o-meter looks like its having an epileptic fit.
    Careful, that might feck up your watch again ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Only something like 40% of the money goes to good causes. A similar percentage goes on prizes, incredibly small. Agree that you're better off gambling on a match, or even at a roulette wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Careful, that might feck up your watch again ... :p

Am I sorry I created that Nice thread or what. A lesson to all you boardsie's to never go create AH threads when you're emotional. There's no sympathy to had round these parts, and thats for sure. :(

I think I can just about part with €4 this Wednesday.

Am I sorry I created that Nice thread or what. A lesson to all you boardsie's to never go create AH threads when you're emotional. There's no sympathy to had round these parts, and thats for sure. :(
    Lol ... you get your sympathy on the day, you pay for it for ever more! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I pay my taxes!

it is a tiny glimmer of hope that I could have a life of complete relaxation and enjoyment. Money mighn't bring you happiness, but it certainly feckin helps and neither does the pressure and responsability and time of working away your life and filling in the down time with living.

:)

Indeed.

I got 3numbers yesterday. €5, fair enough I spent €8 but I'll use the winnings towards Wednesday.

Honestly, even to win enough to clear my college loans would be marvelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Paddys weekend fast approaching also, could it roll over until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The Lotto is one of the few wagers that cost a relativley inconsequential amount, and yet you can win enough money to seriously change your life.

Sure the odds are terrible, but on roulette, the max you can win on a €2 bet is €72, horses, maybe €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sure didn't someone recently do a horse accumulator for 50c and come away with €1mil ?

You only have to get (really) lucky once ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

pretty simple really. in 2006 they increased the available numbers from 42 to 45.
    giving you the odds of 1 in 8 million as opposed to 1 in 5 million.
    the less chance you have of winning, the less chance anyone wins.
    more money builds up.
    more people play cause of the rising jackpot, jackpot goes superhuge, and eventually somebody hits the target. (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just looked at the prize catergories, 25k for 5+1 numbers, and only 1300 for 5 numbers, would need to almost win the jackpot to make it worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Paddys weekend fast approaching also, could it roll over until then.

"Could" ... ha ha ha ha

Will ..

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I don't see why people are getting the madness. The Euromillions was bigger last Friday, it was won, and it will still be bigger next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Ever since they added another 3 numbers it rolls over more often than not. Now I know the chances of winning are tiny, but at least when it was being won each week it gave you a glimmer of hope that you might win it.

dsmythy wrote: »
    I don't see why people are getting the madness. The Euromillions was bigger last Friday, it was won, and it will still be bigger next Friday.
    Greater chance statistically of winning the Irish one is possibly the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's always won before it gets very high..everyone playing has the same (tiny) chance so why not you instead of someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've only ever heard people who are strapped for cash use the "The lotto is a tax on stupid people" line, which is quite funny imo.

Lotto is rigged btw but I'll still buy a few lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

In my opinion I believe just before the draw on a Wednesday or Saturday night between 7:45 and 7:50pm they check the computer to pick a sequence of six numbers which have not been picked by any member of the public for that draw, in so doing afford them the opportunity to let the Lotto roll over for another while.
    (This is the reason why I usually repeat the same line twice my self in different shops for the same draw!)

It is not my deliberate intention to cause defamation of the National Lottery however I feel that this petty juvenile carry on will finally lead to the downfall of the National Lottery as the general public start to cop on.
    PS: I rang the National Lottery office again this week and put my accusation about fraud to them, so don’t be surprised if they let it off before Easter.

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

If you play two lines every Wednesday and Saturday, you'll win the jackpot once every 39,026 years.

O_o

The Truman Show, Irish style!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Judging by conspiracy guy's history here, he's not a good 'un. Or maybe just not a right 'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Or could it just be that so many people do their families birthdays, anniversaries etc which means numbers between 1 and 31 for the most part so any winning combination with numbers higher than this are less likely to be winning combinations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Raspberry

Are you asking a question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement