Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I hate about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Germany is awesome

A woman stood on my little toe and squished it in Germany. She was German. Then our hotel was burnt down by vigilantes. No messin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

People on the internet who insist this nebulous "begrudgery" concept actually exists outside their own moanbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

When the culchies and dubs for that matter, interupt the last line of Amhrán na bhFiann by shouting go on kerry or whoever they support in croker.

So you only like the random American who keeps it zipped cos they haven't a clue whats happening? :0|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

DenMan wrote: »
    Aggressiveness I believe. Why do some Irish people tend to very aggressive. Simple things like shopping, eating out etc. Sarcastic responses in bars, food being banged down in front of you. When you travel on your holidays you do not expect to be treated that way, and you don't. So why does it happen here?

Has anybody ever been treated like that?

Yes I have been treated like that abroad. Three weeks ago, on holidays, by a waiter of that nationality. My dinner was slammed down in front of me too. And also right here at a "hospitality" bar in a TV studio by a very rude woman, five minutes before I was supposed to go on stage and do my thing, and which she was supposedly there to make me feel comfortable and relaxed before going on, at which she failed miserably because she was an over made up, seemingly frustrated wagon who vented it on me. So it happens here, and it happens abroad too.

What I hate is that we're a tad too self analytical and even though we're great with the banter and telling jokes and slagging each other off, we're normally very hard on ourselves, and therefore ourselves as a nation, and that's when we start the moaning and groaning and begrudgery, we lump it all into one big "ah this is sh*te" scenario and we'll never make progress with an attitiude so overwhelming. Baby steps and focusing on what we can do as individuals to make a difference day by day is the best way.
    The weather, well, we can't change that. But I'm stil hoping that someone will build that giant hairdryer to blow all those depressing clouds away.
    The OP didn't really want "what I like" in these opinions...but... white pudding on batch loaf with a big mug of tea...makes it all somehow better on a Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not liking something does not a moanbag make.
    Not liking most things = moanbag

It's really quite simple

Not nessecarily. I just took a look at the "most things" and decided that I could move to where life was better, and I did, and so far it is. I do think that Irish people will take a hell of a lot of sh1t before standing up and doing soemthing about it.

I do take back the point about the public transport system here - one of the trains was 1 minute late - must have been a serious accident. But hey - at least you can drink on the metro!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I do take back the point about the public transport system here - one of the trains was 1 minute late - must have been a serious accident. But hey - at least you can drink on the metro!
    and basically everywhere else, minus the drunken muppets and the agrro too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

berliner wrote: »
    It's a rip off.At night it's full of aggressive drunks.It's exactly the same as england.....i could go on and on....

Depends how/where you shop, stupid people drive up prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

bring back the 1600's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

What I hate about Ireland: moanbags like the OP

What I like about Ireland: when people who moan about the place leave!

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Muggy Dev wrote: »
    My post was written nine days before today´s ERSI report.

Still think it´s bull Angryman???

Yes I do. All that will happen is some tertiary industries will collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

well said

So you're happy about everything in this country, or have you left yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

We have the same No Entry road signs as Zimbabwe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I love alcohol and would defend it to the death, I'm opposed to every move to restrict its availability to people of age at any time. However, I hate the dependence some people have on it to bring out their personality over here. I sometimes get the impression people make far less effort to escape boredom and timidity during the day then they would if it didn't exist because they figure "ah well, I'll have alcohol soon, just need to endure this until the evening and then I'll be fine". It just seems such a defeatist attitude that stymies creativity, imagination, and joy in our day to day lives. People can seem so lifeless here compared to the other two countries I have experience of (France and the US), but once the inhibitions are down Irish people tend to be amazing! Just wish it happened more.
    It's not helped by the amount of cynicism about; I've never seen so much hate towards people who are just trying to have fun. There's pretty much no way to get your kicks in Ireland (Dublin especially)without someone looking down on you, and it's mainly dry, cynical types.

A great country all in all though.

I love alcohol and would defend it to the death, I'm opposed to every move to restrict its availability to people of age at any time. However, I hate the dependence some people have on it to bring out their personality over here. I sometimes get the impression people make far less effort to escape boredom and timidity during the day then they would if it didn't exist because they figure "ah well, I'll have alcohol soon, just need to endure this until the evening and then I'll be fine". It just seems such a defeatist attitude that stymies creativity, imagination, and joy in our day to day lives. People can seem so lifeless here compared to the other two countries I have experience of (France and the US), but once the inhibitions are down Irish people tend to be amazing! Just wish it happened more.
    It's not helped by the amount of cynicism about; I've never seen so much hate towards people who are just trying to have fun. There's pretty much no way to get your kicks in Ireland (Dublin especially)without someone looking down on you, and it's mainly dry, cynical types.

A great country all in all though.

I'm not sure, but I may be dectiong a contraction here: you say you love lacohol, but hate the way it stifles imagianation and creativity...? It's because alcohol does that that people are dependant on it...? Why love it then?!

Also, you picked two very conservative places to compare Ireland to. Try somewheer liberal before making hyour mind up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I'm not sure, but I may be dectiong a contraction here: you say you love lacohol, but hate the way it stifles imagianation and creativity...? It's because alcohol does that that people are dependant on it...? Why love it then?!

Also, you picked two very conservative places to compare Ireland to. Try somewheer liberal before making hyour mind up!

Sorry for not making myself clear, but I actually meant the opposite! I love alcohol precisely for what it does for the imagination and creativity, but feel too many people rely on it for an escape and so don't try as hard to be as creative or imaginative to liven their lives up while sober, as they have alcohol to do it for them if they can just wait until they finish work. We can't be drunk all the time (sadly), and sometimes I think people are too happy to thread water in between piss-ups.

I do hope to have many more places too compare Ireland to soon, but for now I can only compare to what I know! I'm not judging or looking down on this countries people at all, it was very much just a casual observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

DannyD wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're not the only one, seems like the big fella has it in for us too!
    http://www.godhatesireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The weather :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

So you're happy about everything in this country, or have you left yet?

Don't be a feckin twit - I never said it was Utopia.

One thing I *dislike* about Ireland is that we seem to have more than our fair share of self-haters - it's almost like a lack of confidence as a nation or something.

Such people, as MissHoneyBunny says, should STFU and make things better or GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I hate all the ****in whingers... do the rest of us a favour and leave.

Trev M wrote: »
    I hate all the ****in whingers... do the rest of us a favour and leave.

I did! Best move I ever made! It's not that I don't like Irealdn, I just can't live in a country where noone gives a **** about anything except alcohol and has no interest in improving things.

What will Ireland do when the recession comes? Bend over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

I did! Best move I ever made! It's not that I don't like Irealdn, I just can't live in a country where noone gives a **** about anything except alcohol and has no interest in improving things.

What will Ireland do when the recession comes? Bend over.

Have you honestly ever been to another European nation? The culture of alcohol is a very broad western phenomenon. I've never seen anyone go on the tear quite so frequently and to quite the same extent as the Germans, with the French coming in a close second. Love both those countries too (especially Germany). When a person claims "there's nothing to do but drink" about a society, I immediately put my skeptical hat on. In my experience, people tend to make such claims when deeply dissatisfied with their own position in life, their country irrespective. Go on boards from any other European nation and you'll find sentiments expressed identical to yours.

At least here we have a large (perhaps excessive) degree of introspection. I'm not sure what angle you're coming from, but the society here is utterly bent on improvement and progress. Thus far, we're the only society engaging fully with this recession and its potential worst case scenario and, I'll wager, the only culture dedicating a huge number of column inches in virtually every broadsheet and tabloid to discussing the economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mai-leng

What I hate about Ireland is... the weather! constintely changing you wouldnt know what to wear goin out and it's always raining which makes the place pure miserable, It's boring, expensive, and I dont like the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I don't like the roads, the health care system and the scumbags...everything else is great! :D

A bit of more sun would be nice, but hey you've got to have priorities in life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 petermcqueen

the middle class irish man who swans about in his linen suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

I love alcohol and would defend it to the death, I'm opposed to every move to restrict its availability to people of age at any time.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

back to the question, weather and a close-mindedness i thought we had left behind. re: FF backbenchers trying to block civil partnerships, and most people who voted no the lisbon treaty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I hate the fact that when you go into a londis and buy €10 of call credit you are charged €10.50. Basically, rampant greed & consumer type issues, weak inefficient politicians who are more afraid of being criticised than of actually achieving anything (with a handful or exceptions) politicians who have squandered billions and continue to do so. Lack of effective immigration or social welfare fraud controls. The health service full of bean counters and project managers instead of doctors and nurses etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Also people who litter, especially in scenic places like Wicklow, flytipping there should result in a massive fine (and none of this fine in the sense of deducting €5 euro per week from the persons social welfare).

Seriously I would thrown flytippers in jail till they pay their fine in full. Or put them in a pit with mary harney and see who wins.

Advertisement