Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The club will be financially ruined at the rate we're paying off sacked managers.

A month after he was let go/sacked/mutual departure, what ever you want to call it, only now are the club offically anouncing it.

What exactly is going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

From the outside looking in, it looks like you have absolute muppets making decisions. They'll have to pay off Heary, so rather than accept that and work towards it, they'd rather cost themselves more money potentially defending legal action. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Champions to relegation candidates in three years.

There has been huge damage done to the finances of the club these past twelve months thanks to our new revolving door policy when it comes to managers. This will leave us severly weakened for quite some time. Even if we manage to avoid the trapdoor this year we will find ourselves hovering over it again next season.

Ian Baraclough returning to The Showgrounds tonight with Motherwell for a Scotish Preseason Freindly. Could be an interesting reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

I heard he got a civic reception earlier in the day - anyone know more? I'm a Well fan and was there. Didn't hear a bad word about him from any of the many Rovers fans I met on the night.

• Advertisement

You heard nothing bad because there's really nothing bad to say. Some will even tell you he's the greatest manager we've ever had. Personally, I think that honour belongs to Paul Cook. But Ian is more of a gent and certainly more trustworthy. Was delighted to see that he kept your lads up.

He might even guide you to a cup.;)

I thought he was quite a good manager, he did get us a League Champions, and an FAI Cup win. It might have been Cookies team, but it was still under Ians management. Was sad to see him go, and glad he got a good reception from the disappointing small crowd on Tuesday.

here's another English coach who's out of work recently . Try getting on the wire to him! Make him an offer he cannot
    you know da rest!

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/sheffield-wednesday/sack-race/news/sheffield-wednesday-sack-stuart-gray_227542.html?li_source=base&li_medium=related-box-widget&li_campaign=related_test

A Championship Manager? Aimimg high there! No disrespect to LoI, but think it we need to continue the trend of League 1 or 2 managers (old 3rd and 4th division ) and hope they bring one or two players with them.

We have a new manager, Micky Adams. Former positions includ Fulham, when they were in the old 4th Division, Tranmere, Coventry, and Brighton & Hove Albion. First assignment, keep us up.

http://www.the42.ie/micky-adams-sligo-rovers-new-manager-2251416-Aug2015/?utm_source=facebook_short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    We have a new manager, Micky Adams. Former positions includ Fulham, when they were in the old 4th Division, Tranmere, Coventry, and Brighton & Hove Albion. First assignment, keep us up.

http://www.the42.ie/micky-adams-sligo-rovers-new-manager-2251416-Aug2015/?utm_source=facebook_short

Pretty poor listing of his former clubs there. He used to manage Leicester in the Premiership.

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Pretty poor listing of his former clubs there. He used to manage Leicester in the Premiership.

Yeah sorry, missed them, and saved them from relegation when he first took over i think. Hopefully he can do the same with us, as have done it with a number of clubs in his first season, also maybe bring a few players with him. His assistant Alan Rodgers also played at Leicester as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

So Elding is back, and scored, and we rolled over Drogheda, too early to be positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

rizzodun wrote: »
    So Elding is back, and scored, and we rolled over Drogheda, too early to be positive?
    No! Onwards and upwards.

Contrast that performance with the game against 10 man Bohs a few weeks back. Night and day.

Also, Neilsen looks to have finally pulled the finger out. Adams must have got through to him somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My God did Rovers need those three points. Hopefully now they can go on a run and escape the mire they're in.

A real battle tonight, home to Derry who are on 22pts to our 19pts, goal diff -10 to our -16. Drogs also on 22pt (-17) playing Galway, them too on 22pts (-19).

Our survival is far from secure.

Into the next round of the cup thanks to a comfortable win against Cobh.

We've also closed the gap in the relegation battle, so it's been a good week for the club. Mickey Adams' Red and White Army?

Been a while since we had a week like that. :D

Lousy draw. Dundalk on the plastic.:(

• Advertisement

Very valuable point last night v Shams. The revival continues.

Rally Around Rovers has raised over 60 grand in donations which will go some way to relieving the financial burden of sacking two managers in a year. In fairness we really do have an amazing support.

• Baraclough sacked from the Motherwell job after losing to Morton in the Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

He's signed two or 3 good players but mostly duds, lost the dressing room and tactically lacking.

Got it 100% right in the 2 play off games vs Rangers but apart from that he's shown no progress at all. Real shame as his off the park stuff suited the club down to a T...

Excellent PR man but poor manager. Pity, he's a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dk1979

Big PUSH needed by Rovers in their Final two games. Can they beat the drop. Final game vs Limerick looks like it could be a Winner takes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭Charliebull

it was poor stuff on Sat Night, lack of fight in some players was disheartning to see

I suspect we're going down. Besides a few exceptions the players don't look to be in the slightest bit bothered. We've allowed some real mercenaries into the club and are about to pay the price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭overshoot

I suspect we're going down. Besides a few exceptions the players don't look to be in the slightest bit bothered. We've allowed some real mercenaries into the club and are about to pay the price for it.

Its a real shame when your in that position. When we were struggling for cash in and wages got cut at the end of 08 a player stood up and said 'half wages half effort'... For the last 3 games that's exactly what we got and blew a 7pts lead from relegation.... Sligo fans would be familiar with him too....
    I'm still hopeful ye keep clear, and we end up with drogs/galway... (obviously providing we clear ucd)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    Its a real shame when your in that position. When we were struggling for cash in and wages got cut at the end of 08 a player stood up and said 'half wages half effort'... For the last 3 games that's exactly what we got and blew a 7pts lead from relegation.... Sligo fans would be familiar with him too....
    I'm still hopeful ye keep clear, and we end up with drogs/galway... (obviously providing we clear ucd)
    Parkhouse or holmes the only two I can think of that played for both around then. Both were ****e even at 100% effort so wouldn't have made much difference.

Advertisement