Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcos

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RebeccaChick

When I was diagnosed my GP had a VERY little knowledge of Pcos, she gave me a leaflet and was reading it and learning by it :rolleyes: but at least she sent me for a scan and from that I was diagnosed.

Regarding your symptoms around your period, you will have to tell your GP about this who will send you for tests I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

It's amazing that for something that is apparently so common, doctors don't seem to be prepared for it. Will imagine I'll be a pin cushion again thurs. Wonder what is the recommended time period that pcos sufferers should be re-tested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

Danniboo wrote: »
    Guys a few questions?

My friend has said she's recently been diagnosed with PCOS she knows I have it and I think it might be a bit of a porky. She might genuinely believe she has it as I think she's in denial about an eating disorder and this is what's causing her symptoms.

Has anyone ever started to get hirsutism a few months after been diagnosed even though hormone levels were perfectly normal?

Has anyone gone to a doctor for a health check and been given an US and been diagnosed with PCOS?

Ever been told when you've gone to the doc with pain that a cyst may be growing and would this not make you have a bloated stomach?

Hang on, if your hormone levels are normal then how do you know you have PCOS? I have polycystic ovaries and suspected PCOS based on being quite hairy and having acne but was told that if my hormone levels were fine (and they were), I didn't have it. I was told that a fifth to a quarter of all women just have polycystic ovaries and that there was no cause for concern at all. Or are you on mediciation to keep the levels normal? Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

RoisinDove wrote: »
    Hang on, if your hormone levels are normal then how do you know you have PCOS? I have polycystic ovaries and suspected PCOS based on being quite hairy and having acne but was told that if my hormone levels were fine (and they were), I didn't have it. I was told that a fifth to a quarter of all women just have polycystic ovaries and that there was no cause for concern at all. Or are you on mediciation to keep the levels normal? Thanks for any advice!

Read my post properly. I'm referring to my friend:rolleyes:

Read my post properly. I'm referring to my friend:rolleyes:

I slept badly and didn't word my post very well. I initially used 'you' in the general sense and by the time I got to the end of the post, I forgot it wasn't you, but a friend with the symptoms.

I wasn't aware that a rude and unpleasant personality was a symptom of PCOS. I'll remember not to bother you again, or help you with any of your questions. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RoisinDove wrote: »
    I slept badly and didn't word my post very well. I initially used 'you' in the general sense and by the time I got to the end of the post, I forgot it wasn't you, but a friend with the symptoms.

I wasn't aware that a rude and unpleasant personality was a symptom of PCOS. I'll remember not to bother you again, or help you with any of your questions. :rolleyes:

Sorry all I said was to read my my post properly, there's no need to be such a bitch.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Danniboo/RoisinDove, keep it civil or else refrain from posting.

Maple.

As I said, I was told that if the hormone tests were fine then you most likely don't have PCOS, but it seems that even a lot of doctors are confused by the whole thing. I'm confused about whether you are accusing her of making it up about being diagnosed, or whether you think the doctors have got it wrong. Your posts are confusing and ambiguous and it's hard to see what you're getting at. Especially here:
    Ever been told when you've gone to the doc with pain that a cyst may be growing and would this not make you have a bloated stomach?

Are you suggesting that she was told a cyst may be growing, but you don't believe her because she doesn't have a bloated stomach? Or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MzMollz

Right so, had my appointment in docs few days ago. Bloods, bloods and more bloods. Blood pressure is v low and my fainting/nauseous spells are from my blood sugar dropping too. Gotta increase salt intake, eat little and often and basically wait. Should know more next week. Anybody experience this before? It seems kind of common to have problems with blood sugars with pcos according to the internet, but like some of ye said before you could really drive yerselves mad with the stuff on there!! It always puts your mind into worse case scenario. :eek:

Hey girlies,

Just wondering has anyone else had High Blood Pressure after being perfect a few months previous, how did you get it back down again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

Hey girlies,

Just wondering has anyone else had High Blood Pressure after being perfect a few months previous, how did you get it back down again?
    Hi Danniboo, i'm the opposite. the nurse told me i have Low blood pressure, which is apparantly as bad as having high blood pressure. i have PCOS too.

Dambant wrote: »
    Hi Danniboo, i'm the opposite. the nurse told me i have Low blood pressure, which is apparantly as bad as having high blood pressure. i have PCOS too.

****Rant Alert **** I know I had my follow up on Monday been on spiro for 6 months which is the one and only thing that has helped with the hair growth in the last four years. They took me off it:mad: Why? Because i'm in a relationship. I asked about going on some other pill and staying on the Spiro as my periods had gone haywire and it would sort the "relationship" problem. To which I was told well they basically all have the same effects. I was then asked whether I would rather put up with the mood swings and go back on one of the previous pills i'd been on and was asked if they were really bad and would I possibly need to see a psychiatrist???:confused: Then he announced my blood pressure was quite high and wanted to test me for diabetes. The head endo then comes in and does his little chin scratching, hmm i'm so full of knowledge routine and said there's basically nothing else really they can do at this time and best I stay off any meds. I was then leaving and had to remind the doctor about my HBP and he did up a blood test script for hormones/glucose. After waiting for the 40 people who were ahead of me to get my bloods done I was told I should be fasting for the glucose but should be eating for one of the hormone tests:rolleyes: but i'd no choice but to get them done together and the results wouldn't be accurate but sure they can just do them again. Needless to say i'm not a happy bunny, think private is the only way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

pardon my ignorance but what is Spiro:confused:
    why would a doctor take you off any medication because you 'are in a relationship':confused: that does not make one bit of sense

Dambant wrote: »
    pardon my ignorance but what is Spiro:confused:
    why would a doctor take you off any medication because you 'are in a relationship':confused: that does not make one bit of sense

Spironolactone. If you were to get pregnant while on this it can cause serious harm to the baby. He obviously forgot about the time I left there in tears because they told me I would never be able to conceive by myself:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement