Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My next door neighbour has BB but I dont

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I live in the country, but my next door neighbour managed somehow to get 1mb eircom broadband, yet eircom maintain that i cannot. How, can i ask is this possible as his phoneline comes up my driveway and splits to go into his house about 10 feet short of MY front door.

Eircom said...again... that they will recheck my phoneline, but i cant say they have been much help.

Has anyone experienced something like this before, because it just baffles me!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

The key work is "splits" - Eirconn split lines all the time for phone access so it means you cant get BB - They will never tell you this of course but I believe you can get it resolved.

line splitting, otherwise known as ‘pair gain’ or putting a ‘carrier on the network.’ In effect, homes with phone lines are unknowingly sharing capacity with neighbours even though they are paying a monthly line rental fee for the privilege of a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

joePC wrote: »
    The key work is "splits" - Eirconn split lines all the time for phone access so it means you cant get BB - They will never tell you this of course but I believe you can get it resolved.

Don't think that's necessarily true in this case. If the line has been split, neither party should be able to get BB (as is my understanding).

It sounds to my eye (ear?) like eircom couldn't bother to fix your line to get broadband.

If you can somehow get hold of the local engineer, chances are he/she will help you out, they seem to be decent at that level. I understand a crumpling crisp packet down the phone when you log a fault call works wonders!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I understand a crumpling crisp packet down the phone when you log a fault call works wonders!! ;)
    I must give that a try;)

Cheers for the replies. Any more tips, advice would be great. I might eventually escape the evil that is dial-up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

ned14 wrote: »
    I must give that a try;)

Cheers for the replies. Any more tips, advice would be great. I might eventually escape the evil that is dial-up:D

Use the broadband checker on the smart telecom site. This will tell you what exchange you're phone line is connected to. Then when you're out and about during a week day pass the exchange and if you see an eircom van outside stop, knock on the door and politely explain your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Whats your dialup speed Ned?

• Advertisement

I might just do that and call into the exchange some day. I know exactly where it is and theres nearly always an eircom van at it.

Dial-up at the moment i get, (depending on the pc im using) 22-35kbps.

Smart says: "You are eligible for Smart Telecom services" but no mention of broadband in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They are even slow dial up speeds...

Well i know that the modem on one of the pc's is as useful as a toaster for the internet. In terms of download speeds, I usually average about 2.9-3.2kB/sec (its hell, i know)

Its funny, i live in a small town in the country and i got BB before some parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok, not what you were asking, but it strikes me that maybe there's an angle on this - talk nicely and buy your neighbour a wireless router - get him / her to hook it up to their broadband. Pay them 50% of the monthly and give a few bob extra for the electricity (minimal) of running the wireless router. 1Mb while not extraordinary high capacity should be more than enough for both of you - assuming normal / reasonable usage. If the wireless thing doesn't work (distance, walls, etc..) then you could consider a hardwire solution - a bit more effort but would be worth it if you were ready to bang your head off the wall.

Good luck with it.

Would the neighbour not by default have a wireless router from eircom... then assuming they eh have not changed their ssid/wep key.... instant free internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Saruman wrote: »
    Would the neighbour not by default have a wireless router from eircom... then assuming they eh have not changed their ssid/wep key.... instant free internet :D

*Cough* :D

We don't support such antics :o

shame you cant get broadband, took me over 6 months to get a phone line let alone get broadband. On 4mb now :) There's a simple solution to your problem and its getting an engineer on the phone and explaining the situation, Then file a complaint to Eircom and Com-Reg to push the issue. Com reg will contact Eircom to investigate it.. You should see an eircom van outside your house within a week removing the split and bringing a full line for your house.

In my case, i got them to cut the neighbours second line (Unused by them) to accomadate a full speed line for myself.. works like a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

St0n3d wrote: »
    There's a simple solution to your problem and its getting an engineer on the phone and explaining the situation, Then file a complaint to Eircom and Com-Reg to push the issue. Com reg will contact Eircom to investigate it.. You should see an eircom van outside your house within a week removing the split and bringing a full line for your house.
    Unfortunately the OP does not have grounds for complaint. The only rights the OP has is to a phone line (Eircom can delay up to a year on this) and 28.8k dial up internet. Even these are not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Unfortunately the OP does not have grounds for complaint. The only rights the OP has is to a phone line (Eircom can delay up to a year on this) and 28.8k dial up internet. Even these are not guaranteed.

What's more is these are given on a "best effort" basis, thanks to the uselessness of Comreg. In an age where telcos are rolling out multimegabyte access Comreg insist on 28.8 maybe, possibly, if the sun is in the third quarter and the moon is blue.

Welcome to 1980 courtesy of Comreg.

The reason so many people are in this kind of surreal situation can only be laid at the door of the "regulator" and their political masters the government.

SkepticOne wrote: »

Hey.

sorry you must of missed something?

Eircom HAVE to investigate why his line isn't a full line.

Indeed they dont have to get him broadband, but this can come after his line is solved.. Basically I'm ghaving huge issues myself now with being illegally transfered to another provided. SO i cant decicate myself to solving this.

However, I have being in this situation, and Eircom's OP will have to escalate the claim to their engineers who will have to make a report on the lines routing and status.

If it proves your line is split, you have grounds to claim against them, as it favours in your neighbours direction.

bealtine wrote: »
    What's more is these are given on a "best effort" basis, thanks to the uselessness of Comreg. In an age where telcos are rolling out multimegabyte access Comreg insist on 28.8 maybe, possibly, if the sun is in the third quarter and the moon is blue.

Welcome to 1980 courtesy of Comreg.

The reason so many people are in this kind of surreal situation can only be laid at the door of the "regulator" and their political masters the government.

You might find comreg useless. When infact i find them very helpful medium . They put pressure on both parties and the claims get escalated to the department leaders, not some monkey on the phone. you will be contacted by the heads of each department who are investigating the matter.

Comreg are not a complaints company, but a medium for your complaints. i suggest filing a formal complaint with eircom and contacting Comreg with the case number..

ned14 wrote: »
    I must give that a try;)

Trust me on this matter.

I have got countless people Eircom Broadband through my use of simple back and forth tactics.

I have had the pride of ringing Eircom to do a line test on a line, which they Stated and i quote " Your line is not compatible " , when in fact i was running 2mb on that line with Eircom Home plus. needless to say the conversation ended in a fit of laughter at Eircom.

This was in just outside Clara Co Offaly.

So have some faith, I've seen the worst of Eircom, also having 28.8k dial up speeds, not to mention the hassle of their dial up packages..

I could almost guarentee you broadband when you said your neighbour has it. As i've being told it was impossible also. Best advice, don't believe everything people say here. the best advice comes from experience not textbooks and reading regulations.

Pete

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ok, not what you were asking, but it strikes me that maybe there's an angle on this - talk nicely and buy your neighbour a wireless router - get him / her to hook it up to their broadband. Pay them 50% of the monthly and give a few bob extra for the electricity (minimal) of running the wireless router. 1Mb while not extraordinary high capacity should be more than enough for both of you - assuming normal / reasonable usage. If the wireless thing doesn't work (distance, walls, etc..) then you could consider a hardwire solution - a bit more effort but would be worth it if you were ready to bang your head off the wall.

Good luck with it.

good idea if all hope was lost :)

but a better idea would be to poke the neighbour to get 2 mb broadband and split the costs , Wireless netopia router will be sufficent to support both houses regardless of walls, etc..

If at most, a range extender was needed, I highly doubt it, but you could pick one up for 40 euro and half the country would have wireless :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I have had the pride of ringing Eircom to do a line test on a line, which they Stated and i quote " Your line is not compatible " , when in fact i was running 2mb on that line with Eircom Home plus. needless to say the conversation ended in a fit of laughter at Eircom.

It's very common for DSL enabled lines to fail the test. Nothing new in that.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It's very common for DSL enabled lines to fail the test. Nothing new in that.

really? Its common for engineers to state "No way can your line handle broadband" and then Eircom telling you, you cant get broadband when you actually have a Broadband package with them?

I doubt it.... as there's a huge legality in that.

yes it is common for line tests to fail, this can be for many many reasons, but when there is no logical reason why it should fail and it fails. Here is where Eircom lack..

You misunderstand the difference between a line test done by Eircom over the phone, and a line test done by an engineer.

This guys problem is not the exchange, nor distance releated. It is the quality of his line as far as Eircom as concerned they have cut corners to supply both houses with Telephony.

As iv said, alot of you will disagree and clutch onto facts and what the majority say, I on the other hand, know all of this as facts..

The bottom line is, you may think its common for dsl enabled lines to fail. but where does this problem lie in your eyes?

The problem is with Eircom and their unusual lack of knowledge, it is extremly difficult to get the right person on the phone to sort this. However not impossible. Once you get Eircom to knock out all the wiring between your house and the exchange, there is only one reason your line is failing and its due to Eircom cutting corners. Thats the reason you have grounds to stand on..

You might find comreg useless. When infact i find them very helpful medium . They put pressure on both parties and the claims get escalated to the department leaders, not some monkey on the phone. you will be contacted by the heads of each department who are investigating the matter.

Comreg are not a complaints company, but a medium for your complaints. i suggest filing a formal complaint with eircom and contacting Comreg with the case number..

Heh

Only in your dreams.
    My last interaction with Comreg in January was like an adventure in surrealism.
    So much so that I had to bypass Comreg completely because all they ever manage to do is mess everything up.
    Did all that "case number" mularky but the idiots in Comreg knew better than me, even before seeing all the evidence, they were
    able to tell me what the "problem" was and that they couldn't do anything.
    Maybe you were lucky and got through to somebody who gave a toss but the average Comreg phone guy is counting
    the seconds until they can get rid of you and go back to doing the crossword.

About as useful as a chocolate teapot

really? Its common for engineers to state "No way can your line handle broadband" and then Eircom telling you, you cant get broadband when you actually have a Broadband package with them?

I doubt it.... as there's a huge legality in that.

My line "fails" and is not suitable for broadband. Numerous engineers have told me that I'll never get broadband.

I'm currently on a 2mb package from eircom which works generally quite well.

So what exact "legality" are you alluding to?
    Can you point me to the relevant section in your law book please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The problem is with Eircom and their unusual lack of knowledge, it is extremly difficult to get the right person on the phone to sort this. However not impossible. Once you get Eircom to knock out all the wiring between your house and the exchange, there is only one reason your line is failing and its due to Eircom cutting corners. Thats the reason you have grounds to stand on..

and thats where Comreg are no help and thats why my local engineer plans his network carefully ...because he knows that I own a Chainsaw :cool:

bealtine wrote: »
    My line "fails" and is not suitable for broadband. Numerous engineers have told me that I'll never get broadband.

I'm currently on a 2mb package from eircom which works generally quite well.

So what exact "legality" are you alluding to?
    Can you point me to the relevant section in your law book please?

Im not alluding..

I'm stating there are legal issues when Eircom falsely claim that you are not suitable for broadband when clearly the line can support and the issue is with Eircom.

Its like it's illegal for any network provider to switch you without authorisation, well indeed i have being illegally switched and they cant prove that i signed a contract for it. As it being online and they haven any proof its my word against theirs. The customers always right....

As for anyone having no help from comreg, I suspect a pure lack of experience dealin with these guys. you act soft they will do nothing for you, Pull the right tone and youl have 5-10 people hounding each department head and phone calls apoligising faster than you could imagine..

I'm not falling into legality here, its left unsaid, If you have the urge to be sure about it, look it up... I know and am always fully aware of my rights and comsumer regulations.. this could be the difference why i get things resolved and you spend hours on the phone to a guy clicking his fingers watching the clock count as he pretends to care. its all about putting the jokes aside and getting down to the matter.

Critise all you want. The "real life" people i have helped get broadband beg to differ...

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    and thats where Comreg are no help and thats why my local engineer plans his network carefully ...because he knows that I own a Chainsaw :cool:

lol :D

tempted, my hot fuzz is im sittin on the fibre lines and there is a MAN 20 metres from my house, yet Eircom cant run a wire and bring 10mb to me. :/

As i said, Comreg are helpful when you go about it the right way.

Almost like cutting down a tree, a handsaw will do it, but only if you go about it right, otherwise you be hackin at this yoke for hours and getting no where. yes indeed in time you will, but the right method makes things so much faster and easier.

But hey what would i know, Im only a local technican. i'm sure 1001 people could curse comreg into the ground on here. but im also sure that those of us who know what to do, praise comreg for putting on the pressure.

Im not alluding..

I'm stating there are legal issues when Eircom falsely claim that you are not suitable for broadband when clearly the line can support and the issue is with Eircom.

I..

I'm not falling into legality here, its left unsaid, If you have the urge to be sure about it, look it up... I know and am always fully aware of my rights and comsumer regulations..

This is the second time you've mentioned "legality". If it's a legal requirement you'll be able to point me to the relevant documentation or section in the telecommunications bill, right?

You seem to "know", so I want to look it up give me the clues and directions required so I can look it up too.

I'd also like to be aware of my rights and really want to see where it says what you think it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Please clarify.

Oh my word..

If you are that interested in the actual regulations in place, contact your local solicitor like i did and contact the right sources.

I have no time nor patience to fall into a legal battle, it is common sense to realise what is happening isn't quite right. The communication regulators authority will be more than happy to state your rights. I suggest you contact them..

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/4FB9AD2C-7891-4CBD-A9B9-E27B398E6E39/0/CommunicationsRegulationAmendmentActNo22of2007.pdf

Happy reading :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

St0n3d which bit of that communications act entitles you to precisely what ???? :( . I have had enough of this gnomic babbling .

Advertisement