Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late and Ronnie Drew's Tribute

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

OMG :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ah I am not going to judge him... awful thing to say but I think he won't be with us for much longer...
    Ronnie or Shane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

parasite wrote: »
    I really hope that's cigarette tar on his fingers ...

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Look at the state of him I'd say he's got about 10 years left,at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Quite sad actually.

When I started this, I thought Ronnie was getting a whole show to himself.

Time is a funny thing, with the exception of Barney (the Dubliner sitting on the stool), the other band members look far healthier than McGowan, and played far better too.

And they put away some booze in their time ;)

Get well soon Ronnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

The monks were gud i thought, theyd something decent to say anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Commendable subject, mixed bag of musicians, bloody awful song...

Couldn't agree more. The song was terrible, even though it was sung and played well. Soemthing that certainly didn't exceed or even equal the sum of it's parts.
    McGowan's a legend (I hate that term but he is)...Bono was being his usual sanctimonious self, but I ended up almost feeling sorry for him when faced with the ineptness of plank. I thought he was going to loose his temper at one stage.

The whole LLS last night was a pretty surreal episode IMO, 'specailly the hip hop monks living in Moyross. Sorry guys but I was in fits. Respect though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Did you hear Sineads suggestion about getting together once a year for a sing along. Dont think there will be many takers for that offer. Well maybe her and Shane can in whatever asylum they escaped from tonight

lol,agree with you there!!!

I thought it WAS a whole show and turned away for ages. Saw three biddies in masks. wtf?

I 'met'/bumped into Ronnie Drew one day in town, he's a total a$$hole. I'm sorry his wife died.

Sinead O'Connor has no good albums imo.

I missed some singing monks. gee whiz!

It should have been a full tribute show, not the half arsed 15 min tete a tete it turned out to be.

BTW am I the only one who was strongly reminded of the Band Aid video by the on they did for the Drew tribute track?
    Also does anyone else think we'll all be sick to the back teeth of this tune when the radio stations get their mits on it?

McGowan is actually brain damaged from drug abuse, but i think he had a few in him as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

How come Sinead or Andrea aren't singing solo on the song?
    They pick a drunken toothless yoke to sing a verse, (though you couldn't even know what he was saying) when there are 2 of the best Irish female musical voices there. What a joke :mad:

McGowan is actually brain damaged from drug abuse, but i think he had a few in him as well.

I'd love to know what was in that cup :D

Yea, looked quite flowery:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Wertz wrote: »
    It should have been a full tribute show, not the half arsed 15 min tete a tete it turned out to be.

BTW am I the only one who was strongly reminded of the Band Aid video by the on they did for the Drew tribute track?
    Also does anyone else think we'll all be sick to the back teeth of this tune when the radio stations get their mits on it?
    Gay Byren already did a tribut show to the Dubliners back in the 80's.Superb TV from Gaybo the legend.Badly missed off the box.

I vaguely recall it....that's where the clip they showed last night of The Irish Rover was recorded right?

...to go off topic for a second, I reckon the LLS video vaults must be full of gems, bound to be enough stuff in there to make a great series a la Reeling in the years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the certainly did have a lot of big names in the video in the sutdio at the one time, is ronnie drew getting better?

why did they have to ring some bloke out of the grateful dead to write such a obvious song?

Did yas hear Pat singing!

Wertz wrote: »
    I vaguely recall it....that's where the clip they showed last night of The Irish Rover was recorded right?

...to go off topic for a second, I reckon the LLS video vaults must be full of gems, bound to be enough stuff in there to make a great series a la Reeling in the years...
    Yeah,that's where they got the clip of The irish rover from.The whole of that LLS is available on dvd.Tubridy and Kenny should watch in a see the master at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Anybody watch that feminist ****e? Fook that was dreadful.

If that wasn't car-crash television I don't know what is. "We won't remove our masks until feminism is respected worldwide", i.e. "Until SOMEONE enjoys our godawful act". Don't hold your breath ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not as bad as the Brits the other night... Not even close!

My only gripe is could they not give him a whole show???

Jeeez ,wasn't that an awful load of coddswalop to view ? Watching a bunch of wasters off their face on booze as if we dont see enough of it on our citys streets every weekend .Is this what we pay a tv leience for ? the osbournes ...i meen cmon ,will sombody please set fire to that horrible talentless womon Sharon :rolleyes:

Havent seen the LL show but seen enough off ' rent a dentist ' Shane McGowan to know he is just happy to be exploited as long as the free booze is flowing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Shane McGowan - horrible to look at someone dying physically and artistically on screen. For once I felt sorry for PK having to interview him.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Ronnie Drew's a great man but the song is just embarassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vGNxz7zeU10 Wait wait, that ginger fella (don't know his name) just said that Ronny Drew is "Horny as hell".
    ON RTE?! Unacceptable!

Bono sang like, one verse and then just sang "HEY HEY HEY" throughout the whole song. He is so so talented.

McGowan ya cheap bastard,buy some new teeth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he did he got veneers where they gone, he did make sense eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

*Tripper* wrote: »

It was almost like RTE knew that the tribute was going to be ****e and needed something to make it look classy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Anyone who had even the minutest hint of what was on the LLS last Fri. would have avoided it like the frikken plague.

I made sure sure i was nowhere near a situation where I could even hear it in the background.

Load of absolute crud,and I can safely say that without even seeing of hearing one second of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tripper wrote:

The masks weren't nearly big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Hagar wrote: »
    The masks weren't nearly big enough.

Yer one in the middle was pretty hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Ronnie Drew's a great man but the song is just embarassing

agreed.
    they should have done the decent thing and covered one of Ronnies/the Dubliners famous songs. It no doubt would have sounded terrible too, but at least in principle it would have been more accurate to the man/sound of his era.

Advertisement