Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late and Ronnie Drew's Tribute

Options
  • 22-02-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching this...

Commendable subject, mixed bag of musicians, bloody awful song...

I suppose getting Shane McGowan to stand up is something of an achievement ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its a very catchy song especially the chorus, couldn't understand a word Mr McGowen was saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

This is the most cringeworthy TV I've seen in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Shane McGowen should not be allowed to talk on live television. I understood maybe 10% of what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cool_CM wrote: »

Agreed

Was ok up until Plank started talking to Shane. What God awful questions he asked them all too.

The song is gash imho.

Has Ronnie beaten the throat cancer?
    Hope he's on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

Shane McGowen should not be allowed to talk on live television. I understood maybe 10% of what he said.

Thats 10% more them me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cool_CM wrote: »
    The performance of the song was good the the rest was embarassing. I had to look away several times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Cringe tv as only RTE can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Excuse me, did you not listen to Paul Hewson speak.Paul made Shane McGowen sound like a Narrator from BBC's The Natural World .

The greatest part was Shane drinking out of a Flowery Mug......Fabulous stuff!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The_Edge wrote: »
    Agreed

Was ok up until Plank started talking to Shane. What God awful questions he asked them all too.

The song is gash imho.

Has Ronnie beaten the throat cancer?
    Hope he's on the mend.

Not as bad as the Brits the other night... Not even close!

My only gripe is could they not give him a whole show???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Those monks were brilliant.

That song is laughably bad. Is it supposed to be "Hallelujah" by Leonhard Cohen? I missed the start.

If it is you would think so many supposedly great musicians could actually write an original song for a cause they all see as so worthy and if it isnt they have basically ripped the song off and made it completely **** and cringeworthy.

That chorus is like something a class of 11 year olds would come up with if tasked with writing a song for Ronnie Drew. Really quite astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Anybody watch that feminist ****e? Fook that was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Was the 10% when he used the f word he also laughs with a hiss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

i enjoyed it but it makes you realise watching that bunch how little talent we have in Ireland.Same old tired faces.Sinead O'Connor etc ZZZZzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

shockwave wrote: »
    Cringe tv as only RTE can do.

But you all go back to it every week for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    But you all go back to it every week for more.
    Some of us haven't much choice! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

So thats why people go drinking Friday nights....

Bono called the Tanaiste a "he". Larry and the edge sharing the same story. Sinead O'Connor is a one hit wonder, what a freak. Thats some tribute to poor old Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

That segment was embarrassing.

Bono: ''Edge tell Pat about meeting Ronnie in Germany''

Edge: Well..I never really had the chance to speak to Ronnie until I met him in Germany in 1980....I saw him in a bar, with loads of glasses on the table..see in those days they gave you ( ) to buy things, for breakfast, maby lunch and perhaps some dinner... a lot of drink was taken, and Ronnie said can you..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Corr: My dad was Ronnie Drew's groupie...

Bono talking about minstrels and the likes.

Shane ''cghuuuuuuuuuuuuuu'' Mcgowan.

After watching all those people, I couldn't but help thing back to the wonderful personalities of Westlife on Tubridy.

The monks were so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

So thats why people go drinking Friday nights....

Bono called the Tanaiste a "he". Larry and the edge sharing the same story. Sinead O'Connor is a one hit wonder, what a freak. Thats some tribute to poor old Ronnie.

the tanaiste is a he. brian cowen to be precise.

it was bloody awful, it was painful to watch. i know it's for a good cause and all that, but still.

that rapping nut job monk was hilarious though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

McGowan was awful bad :(

Ah Brian Cowen is a bloke.. well maybe he isn't lol... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Ha ha, i forgot Mary Harney vacated that post. Bono said the tanaiste has enough troubles, he meant the Taoiseach perhaps?

Did you hear Sineads suggestion about getting together once a year for a sing along. Dont think there will be many takers for that offer. Well maybe her and Shane can in whatever asylum they escaped from tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

What age is Shane?

I was looking at him tonight and I don't think he is that old! I'd say late 40's???? God he'd make ya stop drinkin! He should be on those drink wise ad's.....

I was looking at him tonight and I don't think he is that old! I'd say late 40's???? God he'd make ya stop drinkin! He should be on those drink wise ad's.....

Yeah but what yardstick could you judge him by?

Once a booze hound always a booze hound.

50 according to Wikipedia.

Jeez..3 years difference between Bono and McGowan...the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

90% of those on stage were drunk..!

Stop slagging Sinead O'Connor - her first two albums are outstanding, the third is quite good, the rest are ****e I'll give you that.

Ah I am not going to judge him... awful thing to say but I think he won't be with us for much longer...

The definition of class:

shane.jpg

Jayus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I really hope that's cigarette tar on his fingers ...

Advertisement