Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jason.1212

I got the interview in dublin yesterday ,think it went well , but im not sure if i would take it. ITs not a job for life anymore im being told, an apprenticeship and thats it your out the door? what are you supposed to do then because who is going to want someone to come work with them when they have no experiece of instrumentation , industrial work or domestic? it leaves you stuck? can anyone give me a reason to accept?

I went for it too.. Just not too sure about the whole thing cos its no guaranteed work after the apprenticeship!

and they told me by mid august they would get back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

jason.1212 wrote: »
    I got the interview in dublin yesterday ,think it went well , but im not sure if i would take it. ITs not a job for life anymore im being told, an apprenticeship and thats it your out the door? what are you supposed to do then because who is going to want someone to come work with them when they have no experiece of instrumentation , industrial work or domestic? it leaves you stuck? can anyone give me a reason to accept?
    Recently qualified esb apprentices were being offered jobs on salary of 120,000 dollars in oz not so long ago. Seems a good reason.

(I've worked with a former esb apprentice in industrial electrical work too and he's as good as anyone at it, you'd pick it up no bothers)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The ESB apprentiships are well regarded within the industry. They provide very good training, as do many other companies. However in my view this apprentiship is overrated. I think that an E & I apprentiship would generally provide more employment opportunities and a higher earning potential. This applies in particular to the pharmaceutical industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ocallyger

I would question that,
    first of all how many apprentices will be taken on full stop when all this application and interview process is over,as far as i know when this campaign was launched om rte news back in late feb/ early march it said that on average between 50&60 apprentices will be taken on each year for the next 3-4 years. You must remember this company spans the length and breadth of the country so you would imagine that 50-60 fully qualified men would be needed in 4 years time when they qualify.

If my above theory is wrong then the sub contractors are going to be the only ones scoring here, they will be getting more work from the esb and they will have a flood of highly trained electricians/linesmen coming on line every 4 years having being trained to the highest standard by their biggest customer!!!

we must also remember that the esb has an aging staff, a lot of them in my area locally are coming up to retirement.

does that mean thay they are going to reduce they're full time staff members and sub in these outside companies.

anybody on the inside like to shed a bit of light on the situation.......

I also got turned down for the apprenticeship, but that doesnt mean i'm giving up hope just yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ocallyger

also and i understand that there is a large volume of interest in the apprenticeships, but the way that people are being stringed out here months and months waiting on a reply is a bit ridiculous.
    Again thats just my opinion maybe i'm being extremely ignorant but for a proffessional company like that thery need to step up their ante a small bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 milly2013

Have my interview Wednesday in Limerick, can anyone tell me how long it takes and if you have to do a further aptitude test on the day. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Rizzle__

Hi I have an interview on Friday in athlone can anyone give me an idea of what questions are asked thanks it would mean a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mccartney11

milly2013 wrote: »
    Have my interview Wednesday in Limerick, can anyone tell me how long it takes and if you have to do a further aptitude test on the day. Thanks

40 mins roughly and yes you have to do one part of the aptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pilchards

Since when?

You couldn't be further from the truth. You mightn't get the contract or pension that many got in the past, but who is. You're still getting trained to an extremely high standard and if you're one of the people who don't impress and get let go at the end of the 4 years you'll walk into a job no problem. If you do try to do well and don't fail your test and take it all seriously you will get kept on and you're sorted with a very stable job that ain't payed all that badly. Along with a van/all tools provided that you can bring home. Whoever told you this is clearly a person who tried to get in many times and had to settle for elsewhere and is envious about it. You ever hear of or know an ESB trained electrician on the dole, even in the bad times? And if ya feel like going abroad the money is colossal. Take a look at HV jobs abroad.

Best of luck to all again

• Registered Users Posts: 48 milly2013

Had interview Wednesday, 45 min interview, no aptitude test.

Pilchards wrote: »
    Since when?

I don't know it says in email you'll be asked to re do the aptitude test and 2 years in a row I had to do one part of it in the main offices right after the interview

milly2013 wrote: »
    Had interview Wednesday, 45 min interview, no aptitude test.

Lucky for you I was asked 2 years in a row to do it right after the interview

What is this aptitude test you were asked to do?

The one about following instructions...last year it was the 2d/3d shapes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jsno122

Anyone who had interview did ye hear anything back yet cheers

• Advertisement

jsno122 wrote: »
    Anyone who had interview did ye hear anything back yet cheers

Patience lad, patience. If there's one thing to remember: they haven't forgotten to contact you!! DO NOT CALL HEAD OFFICE OR ANY OTHER NUMBER YOU HAVE!! Just wait. They will get back to you. Prob not for a few weeks. Medicals are in August and the job doesn't usually start until mid September.

Im with an industrial company, very good company, but Industrial or ESB? anyone with ESB can you tell me any different? Everyone i work with has told me ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Farmer5

Would there be any point in applying next time around if you have zero work experience and you would only have completed the leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

FarmerJM wrote: »
    Would there be any point in applying next time around if you have zero work experience and you would only have completed the leaving cert?

Definitely, I got offered my apprenticeship with them before I got my leaving cert results, although I had worked in construction before

FarmerJM wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ktow14

Did anyone resit the aptitude test yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AshleighClaire

Got a call today for my medical next week, anyone else get a call yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

Yeah just got the call to come for medical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

Just wondering, I did my interview at the start of the month and thought I did bad I answered most the questions but nerves made me over talk and say some stupid things but I'm after being called to go for the medical. Will how I did in the interview still stand to getting in after the medical or is it the luck of the draw who gets picked after the medical is done.

Also I had an aptitude test right after my interview did everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Usually the medical is the final hurdle. If you pass the medical your in. Well done to all. Welcome to the board

Advertisement